Kinect Sports developer discusses the relevance of Kinect

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Trustedreviews

Microsoft made the decision to include the Kinect in the box with every Xbox One from launch, pushing the console’s original RRP to a lofty £429, and £80 dearer than its rival the PS4.

Rare, developer of upcoming Kinect Sports Rivals for the Xbox One, explained that the Kinect could be alienating core games.

“If you’re a pure gamer, if you’re only buying the console for video games and you only want to play games with the controller, I can understand why you may question [the Kinect’s] relevance, at least initially,” said Andy Dennis, Software Director at Rare speaking to TrustedReviews.

“If you look at the bigger picture, if you look at Xbox as an all-in-one offering for the living room, it has got to do triple A content, but it’s also got to be media player and offer games for a more casual audience as well. I think then the camera starts to make real sense.”

“If you look at the important of voice navigation as well as the skeleton tracking and the facial recognition that we’re doing, it absolutely makes sense to have it in the box.”

Discuss.

#2 Posted by tymeservesfate (1469 posts) -

Trustedreviews

Microsoft made the decision to include the Kinect in the box with every Xbox One from launch, pushing the console’s original RRP to a lofty £429, and £80 dearer than its rival the PS4.

Rare, developer of upcoming Kinect Sports Rivals for the Xbox One, explained that the Kinect could be alienating core games.

“If you’re a pure gamer, if you’re only buying the console for video games and you only want to play games with the controller, I can understand why you may question [the Kinect’s] relevance, at least initially,” said Andy Dennis, Software Director at Rare speaking to TrustedReviews.

“If you look at the bigger picture, if you look at Xbox as an all-in-one offering for the living room, it has got to do triple A content, but it’s also got to be media player and offer games for a more casual audience as well. I think then the camera starts to make real sense.”

“If you look at the important of voice navigation as well as the skeleton tracking and the facial recognition that we’re doing, it absolutely makes sense to have it in the box.”

Discuss.

even though Xbox isnt ur console of choice you made a nice, good, unbiased posts without any serious bashing for no particular reason. good job.

on-topic...i thought this the whole way through too. and i expected a bumpy start for the console. they had a good game showing at E3, but got slaughtered everywhere else. Kinect, DRM, price point. it made an impact on consumers.

but Xbox One has the games...and the casual aspect all set for themselves. right now core gamers are sort of turning their noses up to it, and Kinect, but once all that nonsense of acting too good for something fades off some people won't be able to help but see that its a good system with core games too, and that Kinect has some good features to it.

i, myself, always felt that Kinect could be good for games though...especially with how well they implemented it into Mass Effect 3. hopefully MS will release a IP in the near future that shows how good it can actually get. then maybe it won't seem as forced onto people as it does for some.

#3 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8598 posts) -

Look... I get the appeal of 5 in 1 type devices but "Hardcore" enthusiasts aren't interested. You know why ? Because the indiviual feature's quality is crap compared to a device built specicfically for one person. It doesn't do any one thing Particularly well. And "Hardcore" enthusiasts are all about quality and precision. However, Core Gamers are no longer the Majority so fuck what they want, its all about Casuals now ! The problem with this is Casual's attachment to anything is tenuous and will leave your ass for "the next big thing" just look at what happend to Nintendo.

Now speaking of the Kinect Specifically, I love that sh!t and all the so called "Casual" games that come with it. What bothers me is Microsoft themselves no longer look at it as a gaming peripheril. And that sucks since it just got here, its got so much potential.

I also believed that the Kinect shouldve been a console all on its own. I wouldve certainly paid money for it. But instead of getting the Microsoft Kinect Console, we got The Microsoft Xbox Kinect console.

The naming system proves its the last thing on their list of priorities.

#4 Posted by shawn30 (4290 posts) -

Trustedreviews

Discuss.

Said it before, will say again. Kinect worth will be in apps, casual/family/party games, and add to some core games in creative ways only, but never in the actual game controls. I personally wouldn't want a One without it, and Twitch and Upload Studio are apps that really take advantage of what it can do. Some people don't want/like Kinect and that's fine, to each his own. But I can't wait to see what some indie devs do with it, how Xbox Fitness progresses, games for my son, and apps that are kinect-centric. I bought the One for more than gaming, I use it for more than gaming, and I like Kinect, lol. But motion controls for a core game, it will never be that. Watching my son play Kinect Sports Wave race and upload video with him talking about how much he likes it, that's the value of Kinect to me. Its not all about core gamers. Its about what you want, your home/lifestyle, ect.

#5 Posted by Heil68 (42650 posts) -

"I can understand why you may question [the Kinect’s] relevance,"

Good, even they know Kinect(lol) is a joke.

#6 Posted by always_explicit (2628 posts) -

I dont think anyone is under the illusion the kinect 2.0 was built for gamers to replace their controller. It is what it is. A great motion controller, fantastic for party games, good for the family, voice controls are a great addition. I personally feel like it was worth the investment even at this early stage. Of course Software releasing shortly will be the true test of what it is capable of in a gaming capacity but having used it a fair bit I have every confidence in its abilities.

Kinect was actually one of the reasons I bought the X1. As silly as it sounds its great to walk into my living room say Xbox ON and have everything boot up for me. Its great to say Go to Netflix and continue to watch Family Guy. All of this can happen without me searching for the remote. Its nice to be able to sit at the dinner table and increase and decrease the volume of the TV without getting up walking across the room and turning it down.

I know the whole "your just lazy" argument exists...but frankly....its called convenience.

#7 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

First party developer tries to rationalize why their product should be purchased? Yeah..... Im not buying that. Every company will always tell you why you should buy their product.

#8 Posted by shawn30 (4290 posts) -

I dont think anyone is under the illusion the kinect 2.0 was built for gamers to replace their controller. It is what it is. A great motion controller, fantastic for party games, good for the family, voice controls are a great addition. I personally feel like it was worth the investment even at this early stage. Of course Software releasing shortly will be the true test of what it is capable of in a gaming capacity but having used it a fair bit I have every confidence in its abilities.

Kinect was actually one of the reasons I bought the X1. As silly as it sounds its great to walk into my living room say Xbox ON and have everything boot up for me. Its great to say Go to Netflix and continue to watch Family Guy. All of this can happen without me searching for the remote. Its nice to be able to sit at the dinner table and increase and decrease the volume of the TV without getting up walking across the room and turning it down.

I know the whole "your just lazy" argument exists...but frankly....its called convenience.

I couldn't agree more. My life is more than just hours playing games and there are aspects of the One that fit into time watching movies with the family, Skype, Fitness, ect. I love coming home from work and knocking out a 15 minute cardio workout, watching some House of Cards with the wife on Netflix, and then gaming some Titanfall. Sometimes the One is on for 3 hours before I grab a controller. Voice command wise I'd say I'm getting 80% ACCURACY, but I do now know the proper words and tone to use.

#9 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3476 posts) -

I love that kinect is an amazing piece of technology and should grow, just not in gaming, it really has no place if this Ben is teaching us anything is people don't want gimmicks, Wii capitalized on the whole easy to use and simple to use mechanics, but times have changed people have tablets and phones and whatever else with no controller just their finger and games that cost less, you can see Wii U tried something new with their system the tablet gimmick and it's failing hard as well as the Xbox which most people don't give a shit about kinect. It really just has no place in gaming, console market/ PC market is where hardcore and semi casual will go but MS/Sony/Nintendo need to stop chasing the casual market apple pretty much already owns that market and I don't see it going down anytime soon

#10 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3185 posts) -

>Kinect

>Relevant

>2014

They may as well talk about the relevance of the gramophone.

#11 Posted by always_explicit (2628 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@always_explicit said:

I couldn't agree more. My life is more than just hours playing games and there are aspects of the One that fit into time watching movies with the family, Skype, Fitness, ect. I love coming home from work and knocking out a 15 minute cardio workout, watching some House of Cards with the wife on Netflix, and then gaming some Titanfall. Sometimes the One is on for 3 hours before I grab a controller. Voice command wise I'd say I'm getting 80% ACCURACY, but I do now know the proper words and tone to use.

Haha yeah I did find quite often my anger towards the kinect initially was through me shouting the wrong commands. LOL

#12 Posted by shawn30 (4290 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@always_explicit said:

Haha yeah I did find quite often my anger towards the kinect initially was through me shouting the wrong commands. LOL

My wife's initial anger rages at it were hilarious, but now she has the One purring like a kitten in her hands, lol.

#13 Posted by vickissv2 (1704 posts) -

If the facial and body scan tech in the Kinect becomes prominent in mainstream titles ( Madden, Mass Effect, UFC, etc), then it could possibly vouch for legitimacy.

#14 Posted by Draign (526 posts) -

People want to bash the Kinect but the PS Eye is selling like hot cakes. Explain that.

#15 Posted by cainetao11 (15841 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@misterpmedia said:

Trustedreviews

Discuss.

Said it before, will say again. Kinect worth will be in apps, casual/family/party games, and add to some core games in creative ways only, but never in the actual game controls. I personally wouldn't want a One without it, and Twitch and Upload Studio are apps that really take advantage of what it can do. Some people don't want/like Kinect and that's fine, to each his own. But I can't wait to see what some indie devs do with it, how Xbox Fitness progresses, games for my son, and apps that are kinect-centric. I bought the One for more than gaming, I use it for more than gaming, and I like Kinect, lol. But motion controls for a core game, it will never be that. Watching my son play Kinect Sports Wave race and upload video with him talking about how much he likes it, that's the value of Kinect to me. Its not all about core gamers. Its about what you want, your home/lifestyle, ect.

So well said. I have had some of my best fun gaming with 360 Kinect with my nephew. H e loves it and I love playing with him. And I'll be damned, I liked the Gunstringer! I cant wait to play Sports Rivals with him. The point you made, its not all about core gamers, is true. Core gamers are not all that buys consoles. And I truly believe that this console serves multiple demographics.

#16 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12801 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

"I can understand why you may question [the Kinect’s] relevance,"

Good, even they know Kinect(lol) is a joke.

yup, lol.

#17 Posted by blackace (19732 posts) -

@draign said:

People want to bash the Kinect but the PS Eye is selling like hot cakes. Explain that.

I still don't know why since there's really nothing to play with the Eye Camera. I think people are using it more for Twitch then anything else. For Kinect, I like the workout app that it has. I also like how it scans your profile into the Kinect Sports Rival game. Very cool. It's also great for Skype. Microsoft definitely needs to utilize in more in apps and for games. We know there are more Kinect games coming and they will be shown at the E3.

#18 Posted by handssss (1624 posts) -

Oh Rare, how far you've fallen...

Let's stop damage controlling the irrelevance of Kinect by stating how convenient voice commands are. Voice commands can be done with any headset, but MS just forces Xbone gamers to use the $100 add on that just happens to have a mic on it.