Killer Instinct Season 2 news plus Fulgore trailer

• 62 results
#1 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/27/555...-date-xbox-one

Following Amazon's acquisition of Killer Instinct developer Double Helix Games last month, publisher Microsoft Studios brought a new developer onto the title, one well-versed in fighting games: Iron Galaxy Studios. We spoke with Dave Lang, CEO of Iron Galaxy, about a project he characterized as "probably the biggest thing we've ever done."

"This is an amazing opportunity to work on a game and a genre we are super passionate about," said Lang during a phone interview with Polygon last week. Iron Galaxy's fighting pedigree includes 2011's Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike Online Edition and 2013's Divekick.

Fulgore trailer: Available April 9 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZZE...ure=youtu.be&a

Damn good dev to keep the series going and Fulgore looks amazing!

#2 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8355 posts) -

You know, it's great that you've created this topic because I've been wondering when they were gonna release the following season.

#3 Posted by kuu2 (6962 posts) -
#4 Posted by sirk1264 (5528 posts) -

So would season 2 cost extra if you purchase the more expensive version of the game? I still have the free version as my Xbox one is less than a month old but I am looking at paying for killer instinct as I loved the old games.

#5 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

This is amazing news!

Give the property to an up and coming dev with a lot to prove who's going to put the best product they can out to improve their own standing in the industry instead of giving it to some massive company where KI will not be top priority.

Now commence working on the rest of the cast and some new ones!

Also...

#6 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Good to see they got someone to replace the old devs, but let's hope they're good.

#7 Posted by nini200 (9583 posts) -

Call me when Maya gets a trailer.

#8 Edited by XboxStache (912 posts) -

It's about time.

But to be honest, Killer Instinct could've included the entire roster from previous games to use, while new characters could've been in development this entire time.

#9 Posted by Underdog123x (266 posts) -

Looks like crap

#10 Posted by freedomfreak (39120 posts) -
@nini200 said:

y u change avatar? :(

#11 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16295 posts) -

I love how every developer can work on classic Rare IP these days except for Rare.

Anyway, Fulgore looks epic as ever.

#12 Posted by nini200 (9583 posts) -

@nini200 said:

y u change avatar? :(

Because I like Mai lol you liked the other one?

#13 Posted by kuu2 (6962 posts) -

Finally saw it and Fulgore is going to be awesome.

#14 Posted by freedomfreak (39120 posts) -
@nini200 said:

I did :(

#15 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2729 posts) -

Awesome news, fighting games have mostly been a niche market and for them to continue supporting this game is great. I've put in quite some time with KI, but I've only played with 2 characters(I like to learn each character thouroughly before moving on to the next one....and I only play with the ones that seem interesting....I don't like to play with all the characters). It will be interesting to see what will be in store for us in Season 2.

#16 Posted by nini200 (9583 posts) -

@nini200 said:

I did :(

I changed it again lol

#17 Posted by schu (9235 posts) -

Jaggies galore...really distracting in contrast with the level of detail on the model

#18 Posted by freedomfreak (39120 posts) -
@nini200 said:

I changed it again lol

Better! :D

#19 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4059 posts) -

So they're finally going to finish this piece of shit nostalgia jerker then?

#20 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Not yet GL, this is just Season 1, Season 2 is already underway.

#21 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4026 posts) -

It's about time.

But to be honest, Killer Instinct could've included the entire roster from previous games to use, while new characters could've been in development this entire time.

You make it sound like they just port characters over.

#22 Posted by EPaul (9906 posts) -

Not gonna Lie that trailer was hype almost made me want an Xbone

#23 Posted by Heil68 (43427 posts) -

I wish I didn't suck at fighters, but I do so I have to pass.

#24 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

@nini200:

Man, you are such a horn dog.

#25 Posted by Randolph (10452 posts) -

Good news for the handful of fighting game fans who can play it. Non-news for everyone else. Would be more interesting to more people if fighting games weren't a closed genre.

#26 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

No such thing as finish. Season One was successful so we're getting a full season 2. And if that's successful we'll get season 3 and so on. Its a really well done fighting game.

#27 Posted by svaubel (2442 posts) -

Maybe it will be worth looking at when enough content is out to call it a complete game instead of having each character handed to you on a silver platter with a price tag on it.

#28 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -
@Randolph said:

Good news for the handful of fighting game fans who can play it. Non-news for everyone else. Would be more interesting to more people if fighting games weren't a closed genre.

I can play a fighting game right now if I wanted to, so I wouldn't call it closed. I don't think blaming fighting games for not allowing a random person to instantly be good is a smart thing.

#29 Posted by Draign (578 posts) -

Iron Man, suck it!

#30 Posted by DaBrainz (7627 posts) -

Cant believe they are making more of this crap.

#31 Posted by lhughey (4222 posts) -

I love it! But I'd have to get the gamepad to really expect to be good at fighting games. I'm not sure I'm ready to go that route yet.

#32 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4059 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

No such thing as finish. Season One was successful so we're getting a full season 2. And if that's successful we'll get season 3 and so on. Its a really well done fighting game.

So a permanent beta then. Fantastic.

#33 Posted by blackace (20242 posts) -

Looks like crap

Looks absolutely incredible on my HDTV. Videos on the net never does a game justice. I can't wait for the rest of the characters to be created. I want to get them all at once. The game play great as well, even with the XB1 D-Pad, which was a shocker.

#34 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8355 posts) -

Eurogamer said X1 d-pad is the best dpad for brawlers ever created.

#35 Edited by SolidTy (42419 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

That is not true by a long-shot after playing with it for hours and Killer Instinct. I can understand since you don't own an Xbone it's possible hyperbolic Xbox related quotes like that above may stick with you as you wait for Xbone to ship in your country, but as an Xbone owner and avid fighting gamer, let me give you my actual experience with the Xbone dpad. (This effort on my part regarding the Dpad may not matter because in all the years I've known you, you aren't actually a huge Dpad/fighting gamer, but still I'll leave this post for those that are heavy 2D/Fighting gamers considering Xbone Dpad gameplay since apparently Eurogamer is making terrible, exaggerated claims that need to be straightened out.)

BTW: Do you have a link to that article where that quote is made? I would like to read that for myself because it's quite shocking, although with gaming journalism today, maybe it's not so shocking. I would want to look at the writer's Killer Instinct credentials to verify they put in time with the game, but even then, they may be using the analog stick or a fighting joystick.

If I just looked at the Xbone dpad, I would say it was a good dpad definitely. It looked like a huge improvement...But after extensive playtesting the Dpad, there is no way I would qualify that statement. I would want to talk with whoever made that ridiculous statement because I have a feeling I put in more time in Killer Instinct than they ever did.

The problems with the Dpad are revealed spending hours with Killer Instinct by any gamer that has tested a variety of dpads since NES. The problem with the new Dpad is the diagonal motions don't always register. This is crucial for many moves in the game. When it works, it's wonderful, but when it doesn't that means you get a kick in the face. It's not good, but it's not a terrible dpad either. There is huge room for improvement. I find myself using the analog stick lately due to the Xbone's dpad inconsistencies, which troubles me since analog sticks don't provide precise movements. You have to pick your poison.

Here's a video on the Xbone Dpad problems made by a hardcore Xbox fan that reveals the problem many have with the new Xbone Dpad:

I'm sure some one will quote and argue, but I'll gladly play Killer Instinct with them and show them while dismantling them in the game.

The Dpad is an improvement over the Xbox and 360 imo, but the new dpad has it's faults.

#36 Posted by nini200 (9583 posts) -
#37 Posted by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Fulgore stream RIGHT NOW!!!

Twitch.tv/xbla

#38 Posted by nini200 (9583 posts) -
@SolidTy said:

Wow... Yeah that's a big minus for me as I'm a huge Dpad fighting game player. If the diagonals are that difficult to pull off (Which they are because I demoed KI at Best Buy and was wondering why my commands weren't coming off, it was so bad to where I had to use the left analog to fight) then I can't use that controller for fighting games.

Thanks for showing me that video, that d-pad issue just turned me away from X1 for fighting games.

#39 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -

Watching the stream...

All confirmed officially:

Season 2

tons of E3/EVO info coming

returning characters

more unique characters

more modes

more customization

half-confirm on dangers/stage enders

#40 Edited by Spartan070 (16333 posts) -
#41 Posted by SolidTy (42419 posts) -

@nini200 said:
@SolidTy said:

Wow... Yeah that's a big minus for me as I'm a huge Dpad fighting game player. If the diagonals are that difficult to pull off (Which they are because I demoed KI at Best Buy and was wondering why my commands weren't coming off, it was so bad to where I had to use the left analog to fight) then I can't use that controller for fighting games.

Thanks for showing me that video, that d-pad issue just turned me away from X1 for fighting games.

You are welcome.

At least you didn't buy a whole Xbone and discover the Dpad problems the hard way like I did. :(

#42 Posted by Underdog123x (266 posts) -

@blackace said:
@underdog123x said:

Looks like crap

Looks absolutely incredible on my HDTV. Videos on the net never does a game justice. I can't wait for the rest of the characters to be created. I want to get them all at once. The game play great as well, even with the XB1 D-Pad, which was a shocker.

I hate video games

#43 Edited by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@nini200 said:
@SolidTy said:

You are welcome.

At least you didn't buy a whole Xbone and discover the Dpad problems the hard way like I did. :(

The D-pad on the X1 controller is much better than on the PS4 pad. Also the problem that person had with the D-pad might be he has large thumbs. I played the X1 on my brothers system and I think the D-pad is the best I've seen on a controller in a long time.

#44 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4745 posts) -

I can't wait to get my hands on Fulgore

#45 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8355 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

That is not true by a long-shot after playing with it for hours and Killer Instinct. I can understand since you don't own an Xbone it's possible hyperbolic Xbox related quotes like that above may stick with you as you wait for Xbone to ship in your country, but as an Xbone owner and avid fighting gamer, let me give you my actual experience with the Xbone dpad. (This effort on my part regarding the Dpad may not matter because in all the years I've known you, you aren't actually a huge Dpad/fighting gamer, but still I'll leave this post for those that are heavy 2D/Fighting gamers considering Xbone Dpad gameplay since apparently Eurogamer is making terrible, exaggerated claims that need to be straightened out.)

BTW: Do you have a link to that article where that quote is made? I would like to read that for myself because it's quite shocking, although with gaming journalism today, maybe it's not so shocking. I would want to look at the writer's Killer Instinct credentials to verify they put in time with the game, but even then, they may be using the analog stick or a fighting joystick.

If I just looked at the Xbone dpad, I would say it was a good dpad definitely. It looked like a huge improvement...But after extensive playtesting the Dpad, there is no way I would qualify that statement. I would want to talk with whoever made that ridiculous statement because I have a feeling I put in more time in Killer Instinct than they ever did.

The problems with the Dpad are revealed spending hours with Killer Instinct by any gamer that has tested a variety of dpads since NES. The problem with the new Dpad is the diagonal motions don't always register. This is crucial for many moves in the game. When it works, it's wonderful, but when it doesn't that means you get a kick in the face. It's not good, but it's not a terrible dpad either. There is huge room for improvement. I find myself using the analog stick lately due to the Xbone's dpad inconsistencies, which troubles me since analog sticks don't provide precise movements. You have to pick your poison.

Here's a video on the Xbone Dpad problems made by a hardcore Xbox fan that reveals the problem many have with the new Xbone Dpad:

I'm sure some one will quote and argue, but I'll gladly play Killer Instinct with them and show them while dismantling them in the game.

The Dpad is an improvement over the Xbox and 360 imo, but the new dpad has it's faults.

Yeah, I do have the link, it's in their review of KI (they gave it 7/10):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-killer-instinct-review

At a basic level, Killer Instinct works like Street Fighter 4. Its 3D characters battle on a 2D plane, so if you're standing to the left of your opponent you'll always face right. Like Street Fighter 4, Killer Instinct uses six buttons for attacks: three punches of varying strength, and three kicks, again of varying strength. An arcade stick or the Xbox One controller's d-pad (which, by the way, is the best ever created for fighting games) governs movement. Push right to move right across the screen. Push up to jump. Down to crouch. That sort of thing.

#46 Posted by SolidTy (42419 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Yeah, I do have the link, it's in their review of KI (they gave it 7/10):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-20-killer-instinct-review

At a basic level, Killer Instinct works like Street Fighter 4. Its 3D characters battle on a 2D plane, so if you're standing to the left of your opponent you'll always face right. Like Street Fighter 4, Killer Instinct uses six buttons for attacks: three punches of varying strength, and three kicks, again of varying strength. An arcade stick or the Xbox One controller's d-pad (which, by the way, is the best ever created for fighting games) governs movement. Push right to move right across the screen. Push up to jump. Down to crouch. That sort of thing.

Thanks for posting that. The claim was made by Eurogamer news editor Wesley Yin-Poole. First thing to note is he is a news editor. His one and only review for Eurogamer was the Killer Instinct Review which we read and I think the main reason he was granted that review was because besides news, he loves fighting games according to his profile. He also plays those only on 360 according to his gamertag.

I remember this guy from a previous conversation in SW awhile back. After checking his Gamertag it reveals he has no Killer Instinct gamerscore (To be fair, it's possible Xbone achievements just don't work right yet. I checked online and on Xbone though. I did see his Steam is low level. A search also revealed that currently he has no Wii U tag nor a PSN ID at all for either PS3 or PS4. His gamertag did reveal he plays the majority of multiplats on 360, so it appears he is primarily a hardcore 360 gamer. It's hard to say whether he has an Xbone, but from what I saw using my Xbone, he doesn't have one yet as he has no Xbone achievements. He must have used an Xbone at the Eurogamer office. Coming from that perspective as a guy with limited Xbone experience with Killer Instinct on a machine he didn't own and playing primarily as a 360 gamer with that Dpad being much worse, I can see he noticed the improvement. However, his claim on the Best Dpad ever without having a huge amount of experience on Dpads found on Sega, Sony, or Nintendo machines, it's tough to take that sentence as anything but hyperbole now that I looked into his history.

What information is available at least points to a huge 360 gamer that was granted time with an Xbone and Killer Instinct and allowed his first review ever. He likes fighters. However, without him having spent hours upon hours using a variety of dpads on other non-Xbox machines he owns playing fighting games for hours on those machines he owns it's tough to qualify his statement now.

I think he's a nice guy. I'm glad he may get promoted from news to Xbox Reviews. I think he believes what he said, but I don't find any evidence or any experience he has demonstrated to make that bold claim after looking into it.

Thanks for posting in any event.

#47 Edited by jsmoke03 (12738 posts) -

waiting for a full game....and the dpad sucks. its better than 360, but then again a lot of dpads were better than the 360's

#48 Posted by EnviousEyezOnMe (260 posts) -

I have absolutely no trouble or complaints with X1's D-Pad. IMO, I think MS did an excellent job this go around. I wouldn't touch a fighting game using X360's D-Pad last gen but with Killer Instinct, I may not be on a player with fight sticks level but I'm pretty beast with the X1's controller.

Anyways, Fulgore looks and seems to play amazing! And it's also a sigh of relief to know the new devs are not changing the engine and are going to continue to build on it. I think that was everyone's concern, that DH was going to take their engine and run to Amazon. IG have said they've been working on the side with DH the past couple of months, coming to speed with everything. I think DH nailed this resurrection of KI and it's sad to see them go, but the show must go on!

#49 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8355 posts) -

I have absolutely no trouble or complaints with X1's D-Pad. IMO, I think MS did an excellent job this go around. I wouldn't touch a fighting game using X360's D-Pad last gen but with Killer Instinct, I may not be on a player with fight sticks level but I'm pretty beast with the X1's controller.

Anyways, Fulgore looks and seems to play amazing! And it's also a sigh of relief to know the new devs are not changing the engine and are going to continue to build on it. I think that was everyone's concern, that DH was going to take their engine and run to Amazon. IG have said they've been working on the side with DH the past couple of months, coming to speed with everything. I think DH nailed this resurrection of KI and it's sad to see them go, but the show must go on!

These guys from Iron Galaxy look solid overall as well as their experience in fighting games is also a plus. Besides, they were big fans of this reboot of Killer Instinct. Not only they've made some fighting games themselves such as Darkstalkers Resurrection but also co-developed some major titles like Marvel vs Capcom Origins, and of course ported Street Fighter 3 to PS3 and X360. Not to mention some indie games they did like Wreckateer, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara or Divekick. And of course some ports like Wii version of Back to the Future, iOS port of Scribblenaut Remix and Ms. Splosion Man (also on XBLA), plus they are also developing the upcoming PS Vita port of Borderlands 2 and have some unnanounced project for Epic Games in store.

#50 Edited by nini200 (9583 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@SolidTy said:

@nini200 said:
@SolidTy said:

You are welcome.

The D-pad on the X1 controller is much better than on the PS4 pad. Also the problem that person had with the D-pad might be he has large thumbs. I played the X1 on my brothers system and I think the D-pad is the best I've seen on a controller in a long time.

From that video, the X1 Dpad is horrible for fighting games. I haven't tested a PS4 controller yet so I can't comment on which is better but from that video, it proves that the X1 Dpad is not an acceptable dpad for fighting games at all.