Kill Screen gives first mediocre score for D:OS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Review

The first score that dips under 70 points on Divinity. One of the comments on the article was by an IGN FIN writer that continues to say:

Kalle Hahl:

I'm writing for IGN Finland myself and to be perfectly honest, some of these reviews from Chris make just no sense to me. While I'm a fan of subjective review writing, it seems that Chris is reviewing games that he simply do not like/understand genre-wise.

eg. Risk of Rain is an extremely good rogue-like action platformer. 9/10 good in my books. 77% on Metacritic. Chris gave it a 37%. Banner Saga got 61% from Chris, 80% on Metacritic.

Divinity: Original Sin had near 90% average with 15 reviews on Gamerankings.com and Metacritic before this "out of line" -review of 68%. Don't quite get it.

...but then again I would have rated Demon and Dark Souls all 50% tops. Witcher 2 maybe 60-70%, due to terrible combat, UI/gameplay. :D

What do you guys think? Does the review perfectly depict Divinity, and the other reviews are just blown up in score and simply hyping a PC exclusive, or is Chris Breault purposely lowering the score to get attention to the site?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

Such a terrible review..

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Armond White wannabe.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Armond White wannabe.

Lol, exactly what I thought. So terrible.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

What do you guys think? Does the review perfectly depict Divinity, and the other reviews are just blown up in score and simply hyping a PC exclusive, or is Chris Breault purposely lowering the score to get attention to the site?

Giving a minority review more attention while discrediting the overwhelming critic and public opinion is stupid.

Because of just that (a minority) it has a higher chance of getting hits through the ooddles of positive reviews. Which is why you have posted it, basically.

If it helps, yes, he is a ****.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

It didn't bring down the metacritic score whatsoever. It was at 86 for a while, then it went up to 87, and it's been at 87 since, with this particular review not altering it whatsoever. If they had given it a 2/10 or something, that might have affected it quite a bit more, but they gave it an 68, which isn't really that low. I don't agree with the score, but at the same time, it's not like it's a trollish score. The review itself is pretty poor though; he spends almost a fourth of the review talking about Dragon Commander, and the rest is bitching about how he thinks the jokes land flat. He doesn't go into any detail whatsoever, so it's somewhat hard for me to believe that he played it fully.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@lawlessx said:

Such a terrible review..

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@lawlessx said:

Such a terrible review..

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@lawlessx said:

Such a terrible review..

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

100 point scale? Hell, why not give it a 69?