Kickstarter for new Stalker game

• 58 results
#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (14020 posts) -

Sadly it will be developed with consoles in mind and thus, nothing like Stalker.

It's also for multiple, multiple, multiple platforms. So probably doesn't need a kickstarter in the first place.

Stalker devs want kickstarters for new stalker type game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/175081935?token=a57d4a63

#2 Posted by finalstar2007 (26241 posts) -

Interesting indeed, i'll keep an eye on the campaign when it launches

there has been a lot of cool games appearing on kickstarter lately its very nice

#3 Posted by freedomfreak (44939 posts) -

@finalstar2007: Nice. Didn't know you were into STALKER.

#4 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Game will get funded in no time. People are dying to see more from them, even if it's not STALKER exactly

Also your title is misleading

#5 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4700 posts) -

$50.000 goal...that's not that high and easily achievable.

Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, PS4, Wii U and Xbox One.

WTF, is it their marketing budget, they're kickstarting?

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (14020 posts) -
@MlauTheDaft said:

Yep. Very suspect.

#7 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (5966 posts) -

50k is pretty small. I guess they're trying to start little and grow. Hope they reach their goals and deliver a great game.

#8 Posted by Litchie (16830 posts) -

Consoles? Aw.. oh well, might be pretty good anyway. I'm about 97% sure there wont be a Wii-U version though.

#9 Edited by Priapus10101 (120 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:
@MlauTheDaft said:

Yep. Very suspect.

Scroll down the kickstarter page to just above the stretch goals and you will find your answer.

"We've invested all of our savings into making Areal, and don't have funds to go any further. Unlike most companies, every one of our employees has invested their time and money into making Areal. That's why we think Kickstarter is the perfect platform to help us get our game done. If we are successful on Kickstarter, then we know we can finish the game. And having a successful crowd-funding campaign opens up a ton of financial options for us that will make sure that Areal becomes the AAA title that it was always envisioned as. All we need is for the Kickstarter and S.T.AL.K.E.R. community to support our Kickstarter, and Areal is guaranteed an unhurried and complete release."

#10 Edited by uninspiredcup (14020 posts) -

If it is indeed true and they sunk all their money into the game and now have empty pockets, we are essentially being asked to fund incompetent management.

And chances are as well, they will make millions.

#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

Is anyone left at GDC ? I thought they closed down and moved to other devs.

I'd much rather see another Cossacks by GDC to be honest.

#12 Edited by Jebus213 (8926 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

What is this place called outside? What is the sun?

You fucking tell me.

#13 Posted by MBirdy88 (9289 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

If it is indeed true and they sunk all their money into the game and now have empty pockets, we are essentially being asked to fund incompetent management.

Oh 100%. they will make millions before the game even gets close to finished... just like most popular kickstarters. and you will be promised a complete product in 3 years time....

the only GOOD example of kickstarter I have seen that actually has a complete FANTSTIC product coming out is Divinity: original sin.... other than that, PC gamers are getting milked to high heaven with big promises that have no insentive to be fufilled.

#14 Posted by Icarian (1559 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

It's not from GSC. Some guys who worked on Stalker and Metro are behind this.

#15 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (10571 posts) -

I feel like donating 300 bucks to this just cause.

#17 Posted by blangenakker (2674 posts) -

So you've got ex-stalker devs working on Metro games, Survarium and now this. How many devs were there?

#18 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3394 posts) -

yeah no thanks

I don't invest money into concepts/ideas

#19 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (8211 posts) -

STALKER on the Wii U would be kind of nice. The map and inventory on the controller would be convenient. I would still get the PC version, though.

#20 Posted by Heil68 (48743 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Oh 100%. they will make millions before the game even gets close to finished... just like most popular kickstarters. and you will be promised a complete product in 3 years time....

the only GOOD example of kickstarter I have seen that actually has a complete FANTSTIC product coming out is Divinity: original sin.... other than that, PC gamers are getting milked to high heaven with big promises that have no insentive to be fufilled.

Star Citizen and Wasteland 2?

#21 Edited by jhonMalcovich (5585 posts) -

I won't support this. It looks too shady, and too good to be true. 50k as a goal ? Seriously ?

Besides the visuals will certainly be downgraded because of WiiU. I will not donate money so they can gimp PC version.

#22 Edited by JangoWuzHere (17865 posts) -

If they ran out of funding and need more, why are they still at the point where they're only showing off concept art?

#23 Posted by MBirdy88 (9289 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Star Citizen and Wasteland 2?

Star Citizen is still unproven and 2 years off completion. Wasteland 2... hmm havnt tried that.

#24 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

@Icarian said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

It's not from GSC. Some guys who worked on Stalker and Metro are behind this.

Oh yes, GSC. Silly me, I love(d) their games and can't spell their name correctly :/

#25 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17620 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

So, exactly the same as with console games ? Big promises that never get realized ?

And how is kickstarter exclusive to PC when console games have been kickstarted too ?

I agree with your point though. Just not the way you said it. Not all PC gamers are that stupid to put all their money in broken and incomplete games (kickstarter, early access, battlefield 4)

#26 Posted by clone01 (25455 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Sadly it will be developed with consoles in mind and thus, nothing like Stalker.

It's also for multiple, multiple, multiple platforms. So probably doesn't need a kickstarter in the first place.

Stalker devs want kickstarters for new stalker type game

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1577656602/175081935?token=a57d4a63

Sure thing, sniper4321.

#27 Posted by lostrib (44531 posts) -

Although this world looks a lot more colorful, I'm just tired of the whole post-apocalyptic setting

#28 Posted by DeathLordCrime (523 posts) -

Something tells me in might end of short due to the budget if they don't get that much money.

#29 Edited by Wasdie (50924 posts) -

They aren't getting a penny from me. I only have interest in Kickstarters that actually show us that they've got some more work than just concept art done.

Consoles and PCs have nothing to do with it. The PS4/Xbox One could do STALKER perfectly with some slight tweaks to the UI of course. "Designing around consoles" is total fanboy bullshit. You can stay ignorant and cynical. I'm going to go enjoy games without having pointless and arbitrary reasons based upon some ridiculous bias holding me back.

#30 Posted by jg4xchamp (51936 posts) -

Shadow of Chernobyl was the best fps of last generation. Wouldn't think twice about saying that.

Still wouldn't fund this.

Take a primarily PC shooter that actually is built for a mouse and keyboard and turn it into a gamepad game? No thank you
More importantly with the exception of Call of Pripyat those guys made buggy games when they got funded. I don't see how a kickstarter project would be different.

#31 Posted by GamingTitan (634 posts) -

Way to budget guys. They need to take an accounting class.

#32 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

I kinda like stalker (not typing the fucking dots), but I always get as far as the bullshit insta killing ghosts or other bullshit that kills you over time and stop playing it. Wish they would just stick to the radiation, monsters and human killing bits and scrap everything else.

#33 Edited by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

I love STALKER but I won´t even remotely think about backing this,it´s not made by GSC(the vast majority of the relevant members of that team are making Survarium),it´s not even an actual new entry for the series,the money they´re asking is way too low for the game to be on the level of the STALKER series and the multiplatform nature of it just further seals the deal on my lack of interest. No thanks.

That said,this will get funded pretty fast.

#34 Edited by lawlessx (47412 posts) -

this will get funded very quickly..

#35 Posted by Bruin1986 (1473 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

yeah no thanks

I don't invest money into concepts/ideas

Well...there goes capitalism...and therefore video games as well.

Damn.

lol

#36 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

Looks like this whole thing may be a scam or at the very least they´re trying to make it look like they have lots of people from the STALKER dev team when they really don´t,have a look at the comments section of the KS project,and then to the Survarium forums where one of the developers says the following:

"We have contacted GSC's lawyers regarding this fraudulent claim of being the developers of Stalker and Metro Last Light. Please do all you can do ensure people know these claims are false."

Btw,Survarium is being made by Vostok Games,the team that actually has several of former STALKER devs.

#37 Edited by MrYaotubo (2798 posts) -

@Arach666 said:

Looks like this whole thing may be a scam or at the very least they´re trying to make it look like they have lots of people from the STALKER dev team when they really don´t,have a look at the comments section of the KS project,and then to the Survarium forums where one of the developers says the following:

"We have contacted GSC's lawyers regarding this fraudulent claim of being the developers of Stalker and Metro Last Light. Please do all you can do ensure people know these claims are false."

Btw,Survarium is being made by Vostok Games,the team that actually has several of former STALKER devs.

Holy damn,just skimming through some of those comments makes me think this won´t stay up on kickstarter for long.

#38 Posted by lawlessx (47412 posts) -
@Arach666 said:

well now..this explains the low asking pledge.

#39 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (19315 posts) -

Drop the Stupid RPG Elements and I'm on board ! :p

#40 Posted by santoron (8415 posts) -

Well it seems like the guys on both the KS and Survivarium forums seem confused now on who to believe, after further research turned up corroborating info on the Areal devs from several years ago, and their explanations so far.

This game is gonna make for some interesting forum drama over the next day or two until everything becomes clear. If the Survivarium devs made baseless accusations that ended up as the basis of a smear campaign of another game, people will not be very forgiving. But even without the claims of fraud by them Areal smelled fishy.

Can not wait to see how this one turns out. Internet sleuths, attack!

#41 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

Sound interesting but rather mediocre. i doubt it will be anything like stalker.

what is the point of kickstarter when you are making multiplat game. and Wii u version?? really?

#42 Posted by uninspiredcup (14020 posts) -

Exactly. Aside from the fact they pissed away the money they had. If it's a small team with barely any money, why are they spreading resources across multiple platforms?

Again, incredibly suspect.

#43 Posted by remiks00 (2720 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Divinity Orginal Sin is damn awesome!

#44 Posted by remiks00 (2720 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

If they ran out of funding and need more, why are they still at the point where they're only showing off concept art?

@Wasdie I agree. Let me get this straight. They somehow "ran out of money", and asking for only 50k. But, yet...they have nothing to show for it other than some concept art?? Lol, I'm not buying it.

#45 Edited by uninspiredcup (14020 posts) -
@Wasdie said:

They aren't getting a penny from me. I only have interest in Kickstarters that actually show us that they've got some more work than just concept art done.

Consoles and PCs have nothing to do with it. The PS4/Xbox One could do STALKER perfectly with some slight tweaks to the UI of course. "Designing around consoles" is total fanboy bullshit. You can stay ignorant and cynical. I'm going to go enjoy games without having pointless and arbitrary reasons based upon some ridiculous bias holding me back.

My friend and 8th favorite moderator trailing just behind the 300 man, I genuinely do wish this was the case. That it didn't matter. Simply enjoy games, carefree and full of joy and other things that are highly positive in nature.

Sadly, having played the Crysis 2, Bioshock, Fear 2, Dues Ex 2, Rainbow 6: Vegas and other titles designed with consoles in mind, anger, bitterness, resentment. Sadness and eventual acceptance of low expectation.

#46 Posted by hanman9 (375 posts) -

@system-reboot: Why the f*ck shouldn't it come to Wii U? It's showing signs of life and it'd be very welcome on a system with next to no third party support. Just because it's not exclusive to the dudebro consoles which are home to tonnes of shooters anyway, it's a lesser interesting prospect?

#47 Edited by EducatingU_PCMR (1181 posts) -

ShitU version? Flop confirmed.

Might as well port it to last gen consoles.

#48 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (658 posts) -

@hanman9 said:

@system-reboot: Why the f*ck shouldn't it come to Wii U? It's showing signs of life and it'd be very welcome on a system with next to no third party support. Just because it's not exclusive to the dudebro consoles which are home to tonnes of shooters anyway, it's a lesser interesting prospect?

1. it should not even be on "dudebro"consoles let alone wii u. should be only on PC.

2. who will get this game on Wii U? how can any Wii u user interested in this game?

as long as they will make PC primilary platform i dont mind.

#49 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17865 posts) -

Funding went from 28k to 19k. Looks like someone isn't dedicated to this project anymore.

This is a terrible kickstarter. There seems to be a serious lack of confidence if they are asking for only 50k. The lack of information on this game is astoundingly low as well. It all just seems to be banking on the STALKER name as a way of making some money.

#50 Edited by hanman9 (375 posts) -

@system-reboot:

1. It'll probably sell like sh*t if only on PC.... Hence their reasoning for creating an engine which allows for scaleability across all platforms.

2. It's not a stalker sequel so why does it have be solely on PC?... It's a spiritual successor, so it doesn't necessarily have to be tailored directly for the fanbase of the stalker franchise. It's essentially a new shooter IP, which is more welcome on WIi U than on any other system if u ask me.... It's not like the PC/PS4/XB1 gamers don't have enough to shoot at anyway.

Within a year or 2, those consoles will already be saturated with shooters, whereas Wii U will at least have a reasonable variety of genres including great exclusives.

I'll take a new IP for Wii U any day over the annual regurgitation we see elsewhere...