Kev_unreal: Masterpiece and Art of Music.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kev_Unreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kev_Unreal
Member since 2007 • 2818 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25423002

few fail to see what art really is, especially the one that laugh at the greatest games made (Starcraft, Street Fighter 2, Mario, Megaman, ect) due to 10 years old graphics.:(

But visual is a small portion of Art. Yet, art has many forms of expression such as music, painting, video.

Ocarina of Time is a example of a true work of art, a masterpiece. The game was successful not because of the gameplay or graphics but the melodies within the game is the real reason. The music is culturally and worldly inspired and even the game is base on learning a musical instrument called the Ocarina of Time.

:)Zelda 2 is one of my favorite Zelda games and here is a example of great melodie: http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01489/#

Again, be free to post your point of view of art/music.:P

poopinloop32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 poopinloop32
Member since 2006 • 4949 Posts

Depends on the game...lets see for an RTS or a FPS like Halo all the song needs to be is epic and its great

Kev_Unreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kev_Unreal
Member since 2007 • 2818 Posts

Depends on the game...lets see for an RTS or a FPS like Halo all the song needs to be is epic and its great

poopinloop32

exactly.:)

Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts
OoT is the greatest game ever made i agree. Masterpiece, sublime, mesmerizing and absolutely brilliant.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Roar of the Earth is superior. No matter how much nostaliga OoT may have. :P
imothissucks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 imothissucks
Member since 2006 • 1126 Posts
Roar of the Earth is superior. No matter how much nostaliga OoT may have. :Pfoxhound_fox
300 COMES OUT IN 3 DAYS1!!11~!!!!!! so phyched
bkslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bkslayer
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts
Finally, a positive thread in SW.

I think music plays a great part in games, and to me music is art. You're right when you say art isn't just visuals, even a story can be a work of art just because of how beautiful it is. Music can have a great effect on your mood, if it is done right. It can give that same awe-feeling you get when looking at the atmosphere in GeoW, or perhaps OoT.

Now i never played OoT, something i regret still, but playing games such as SOTC and Okami proved that art can be more than just visuals. Those two games often are compared to Zelda, and that is a huge compliment knowing how great Zelda games are. But SOTC and Okami were most than just their scale and pretty looks. The music and the culture in the worlds fit so perfectly, like shapes and colors you see in a famous painting at a museum. The attitude of those games, for it being very positive and motivational, is art to me.

Most games dont take the risk of being positive, or not hardcore enough, knowing it wont sell to the general gaming community. But knowing that the developers of these games dont care how much units they sell, just how the game ends up. They know they put of true piecees of art, and that makes them happy enough.

Of course, the blood splattering on your screen after chainsawing someone to death in GeoW is art too. :p
Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Teh_Stevz
Member since 2005 • 5678 Posts
Harry Gregson Williams and his music for the MGS saga along with Norihiko Hirobino is the best VG MusicR-Dot-Yung
MGS2 intro still hits me everytime. That's an epic track. Actually, everytime I decide to play UT2k4(Demo) I'll play the main theme to 'Enemy of the State.' SO with that said I agree with ya poopinloop. Then again, I wasn't too fond of Gears' OST. Some of my favorite music doesn't come from great games. I particularly love two tracks from DMC2. That shows how much I do love VG music.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Most games dont take the risk of being positive, or not hardcore enough, knowing it wont sell to the general gaming community. But knowing that the developers of these games dont care how much units they sell, just how the game ends up. They know they put of true piecees of art, and that makes them happy enough.
bkslayer

That should be the industry standard. Sadly, it is not.
TheOneMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 TheOneMan
Member since 2006 • 2952 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Roar of the Earth is superior. No matter how much nostaliga OoT may have. :Pimothissucks
300 COMES OUT IN 3 DAYS1!!11~!!!!!! so phyched

It was an awesome movie, but there is alot of slo-mo scenes that did get SLIGHTLY repetitive.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
Roar of the Earth is superior. No matter how much nostaliga OoT may have. :Pfoxhound_fox
You and SOTC:P I'm listening to it right now, the music is simply awsome. Also surprised to see somebody in System Wars that actually liked Zelda 2 (Hugs kev_Unreal) I'm not alone anymore around these parts(starts crying). Now seriously I don't fully agree with your topic about OOT and its music being the only reason why it was so good.
Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts
How about the Halo theme with the e-guitar? That thing is off da hook.
Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teh_Stevz
[QUOTE="bkslayer"]Most games dont take the risk of being positive, or not hardcore enough, knowing it wont sell to the general gaming community. But knowing that the developers of these games dont care how much units they sell, just how the game ends up. They know they put of true piecees of art, and that makes them happy enough.
foxhound_fox

I think devs should get punished for making sub-par games. Only problem is how do we moderate such? IMO, the first Burnout will always be my favorite. The second kinda spinned off into a Fast & Furious tone which I couldn't shake off. It went downhill from there for me.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
In order for a game to be considered art, the game must combine several key elements that makes it qualify as an art such as invoking emotion. Very few games can do this since gameplay tends to be in the way. As a result, you have a mindset that video games are art. I tend to go with that mindset as well since all I really want is to "beat the game" but one cannot deny several key moments in gaming where a game has artistic moments. Such examples like Super Metroid's storytelling without words (Especially at the end where Samus and the baby metroid emotionally with action), the death of your uncle in LttP and OoT's ocarina playing are great examples of gaming and art colliding.

I've been a firm believer that gaming has a long way off from being as recognized as art (Face it, gaming is not as universal as music and paintings). Saying that, I feel that moments within a game is what will help people see the lengths gaming can go in terms of invoking artistry.
bkslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bkslayer
Member since 2003 • 367 Posts
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="bkslayer"]Most games dont take the risk of being positive, or not hardcore enough, knowing it wont sell to the general gaming community. But knowing that the developers of these games dont care how much units they sell, just how the game ends up. They know they put of true piecees of art, and that makes them happy enough.
Teh_Stevz

I think devs should get punished for making sub-par games. Only problem is how do we moderate such? IMO, the first Burnout will always be my favorite. The second kinda spinned off into a Fast & Furious tone which I couldn't shake off. It went downhill from there for me.

To Fox: Im sure alot of us wish that was the standard, but sadly that cannot happen. If games dont sell, who will pay all those artists that worked so hard on them? It all falls on the attitudes of the gamers.

To Stevz: Yes, devs should get punished for ruining a game's reputation in exchange for $$.  I hope what happens to burnout doesnt become a trend for gaming companies. Just look at EA games lately....
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts
I'm a massive fan of the music in the streets of rage trilogy.  It was composed by Yuzo Korisho (think thats how you spell it) and was way ahead of its time.  In terms of music as prosody in a game, I would go with Final Fantasy 7 (the beautiful score has remained intact despite the rest of the game ageing horribly) and Oblivion.   I find music in video games a lot more inspiring than the manufactured tat that makes up most of the music industry :)
Hater3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hater3000
Member since 2007 • 2310 Posts
Metal Gear Series have the best music.Art.......i really havent played any game i could call artistic but Exit was cool,some PSP games like MHF have a great visual style and cool CGI.
Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teh_Stevz
To Stevz: Yes, devs should get punished for ruining a game's reputation in exchange for $$. I hope what happens to burnout doesnt become a trend for gaming companies. Just look at EA games lately...bkslayer
Funny you mention EA... They hold the license for that. Another funny thing that I thought spoiled Burnout 2... It's soundtrack. It was different enough to really edge me out of the experience. I personally don't believe in custom soundtracks nor using commercial tracks for VGs (In some instanses they work. E.G FNR3).
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#21 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
You'd have to give a definition of art, which no one can do because the word has been strung so thin that it's lost all meaning. It's either the visual skill as representative of a painting, or a craft or skill. Defining games as "art" is to redefine the intention of the word. Defining anything that takes skill or creativity as "art" is to define everything as "art". It's an empty label. This art a lost cause.
bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
My favorite video game composer is actually Marty O'Donnell of the Halo series. He creates an excellent balance of orchestral, choral, classical, modern and contemporary styles that always seem to fit the moment perfectly. At one moment you will be listening to a melancholy choral arrangement, the next you'll be playing out a vehicle sequence to a metal guitar strain. He even delves into pizzicato strings and some moody synth arrangements. Brilliant if you ask me.