Kanye West wants to make his own game!?

• 123 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Article from Gamespot

Better off making one about him being a Gayfish

After conquering the music world and the fashion world, rapper Kanye West is taking on his next big challenge: video games.

West was on Power 105.1's The Breakfast Club radio show recently discussing his next album and his collaboration with Adidas when he briefly mentioned that he's currently working on a video game based on one of his songs.

"Right now I'm working on a video game for Only One, and the idea is that it's my mother going through the gates of heaven and you have to bring her to the highest gates of heaven by holding her to the light," West said. "We've been working on it for like six months."

Only One, which you can hear in the video above directed by Spike Jonze, is dedicated to West's mother, who passed away in 2007.

West didn't say which platforms the game is for or who's developing it with him. If it comes to mobile, he's going to face some stiff competition from his wife Kim Kardashian, whose successful Kim Kardashian: Hollywood mobile game was estimated to generate as much as $200 million last year through in-app purchases.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Someone should just smoke that fool.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Right now I'm working on a video game for Only One, and the idea is that it's my mother going through the gates of heaven and you have to bring her to the highest gates of heaven by holding her to the light," West said. "We've been working on it for like six months

So its an fps?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

Will probably have more gameplay than The Order.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GodspellWH

@freedomfreak said:

And score better it just need a least a 6

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Hey Kanye, I'm happy for ya, and....I can't even bring myself to complete this lame joke.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

I hope it fails lol

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#8 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

Will it involve flogging of Taylor Swift and Beck?

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

So, he's going to take 50 cents game and replace the character with himself, add in golden gates and be all "wah wah my mommy died, everyone please care"

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Loading Video...

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

not making the game but print his name on the box.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

50 Cent already beat him too it.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22626 Posts

Kanye West.... The only place where ISIS has a point.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19511 Posts

The bigger news is Kim Kardashian's mobile game making more money than most AAA games. Kanye West is probably going the same mobile route.

SuddenlyTragic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SuddenlyTragic
Member since 2005 • 976 Posts

That's by far the worst idea I've ever heard for a game. Only Kanye...And they've been working on it for 6 months? I could have come up with that idea in 6 seconds. "Uh yeah...So you know, you gotta hold my momma up to the light you know what I'm sayin', and THEN you bring dat bitch to the highest muhfuckin gates in heaven. The end." Fucking ridiculous.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224

@TheEroica said:

wow, really dude? **** his public image bullshit, dude makes great music.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

its amazing how similar kanye is to the hermits on this board.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

Its probably some mobile game

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

lol

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41526 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@TheEroica said:

The only song he's involved in that I can tolerate is Forever, which he did with Drake, Wayne, and Eminem. Even then, that's not saying too much considering I can't stand the Young Money team (which Drake and Wayne are part of).

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

Considering he is a no talent ass clown he will fit right in with most of the gaming industry.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kuu2

@TheEroica: It's scary how much we think alike.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GreySeal9

@mems_1224 said:

@TheEroica said:

Word. My Beautiful Twisted Dark Fantasy is an astounding album. The music has so much depth, variety, imagination (while still remaining cohesive) and nuance.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224

@nintendoboy16 said:

@mems_1224 said:

@TheEroica said:

The only song he's involved in that I can tolerate is Forever, which he did with Drake, Wayne, and Eminem. Even then, that's not saying too much considering I can't stand the Young Money team (which Drake and Wayne are part of).

his first two albums are pretty incredible. idk how anyone can hate this

Loading Video...

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheEroica  Moderator

@mems_1224: I have no problem with his music... No comment on his music in anyway... I do have an issue when an artist believes their path to music is more important than another's... Music Artistry is personal... Dude lost all legitimacy to me the moment he claimed to somehow be the judge of it. I'm actually not sure how one even comes away with a statement like that taking him as a serious musician anymore.

But maybe people don't care and just want to listen to tunes while driving in their cars.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreySeal9

@TheEroica said:

@mems_1224: I have no problem with his music... No comment on his music in anyway... I do have an issue when an artist believes their path to music is more important than another's... Music Artistry is personal... Dude lost all legitimacy to me the moment he claimed to somehow be the judge of it. I'm actually not sure how one even comes away with a statement like that taking him as a serious musician anymore.

But maybe people don't care and just want to listen to tunes while driving in their cars.

He's remarkably immature for someone in their mid 30s. No one will deny that. But I take him seriously as a musician because of the product he puts out. His music is just so much more forward-thinking than other mainstream artists.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator

@kuu2: lol... And I'm not even on the hate train. Dudes music doesn't grab me, but I happy that he makes it and feels pationate about it. I just don't consider a musician who truly loves the craft someone who can also turn around and say, "mine is better than yours..."

Aside from the fact that Beck shouldve punched a hole through the back of his head, the comment just went to prove that he may make music people enjoy, but he's completely out of touch with respecting the journey people take as fellow musicians and that's just sad.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GodspellWH

Kanye West hasn't been good for a long time.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GreySeal9

@godspellwh said:

Kanye West hasn't been good for a long time.

Don't agree with this, but I will say that "Only One" is kind of bad.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GreySeal9
@TheEroica said:

@kuu2: lol... And I'm not even on the hate train. Dudes music doesn't grab me, but I happy that he makes it and feels pationate about it. I just don't consider a musician who truly loves the craft someone who can also turn around and say, "mine is better than yours..."

I understand what you're getting at, but the truth is that like all groups of people, musicians can be self-centered and arrogant.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Late Registration is terrific and parts of College Dropout are great. That said Kanye has always been really mediocre on the mic, he is however an excellent producer. But, some great rapper? Nah, not even close.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GreySeal9

@jg4xchamp said:

Late Registration is terrific and parts of College Dropout are great. That said Kanye has always been really mediocre on the mic, he is however an excellent producer. But, some great rapper? Nah, not even close.

You are right. He is an average, often clumsy, but also often quotable MC. But he's just so willing to go that extra mile as far as the entire musical production is concerned that I can live with his limited rapping talent. I'd sure rather listen to a sonically interesting Kanye track with questionable rapping (most of Yeezus) than a song with impressive spitting but stale beats (much of Eminem's discography).

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator

@GreySeal9: yeah, goes back to my point about people not caring... They just want to listen. I mean a little arrogance in music is par for the course... This guy just seems to roll it out there at the worst times... Yikes.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator

Also, Ice Cubes, the Predator is my favorite rap album.... Dude has so much hate on that album. Can never get enough.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GreySeal9

@TheEroica said:

@GreySeal9: yeah, goes back to my point about people not caring... They just want to listen. I mean a little arrogance in music is part for the course... This guy just seems to roll it out there at the worst times... Yikes.

Well, yeah, his arrogance overshot the bounds of reasonableness a long time ago. I think he had a kind of psychological meltdown after the death of his mother that he never quite recovered from (since he was not nearly this bad before her death). Of course that doesn't excuse his behavior but I do think that has something to do with it.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

it's going to be like the burger king game except you spring out of hiding and tell the npc how great you are.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jg4xchamp

@GreySeal9 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

You are right. He is an average, often clumsy, but also often quotable MC. But he's just so willing to go that extra mile as far as the entire musical production is concerned that I can live with his limited rapping talent. I'd sure rather listen to a sonically interesting Kanye track with questionable rapping (most of Yeezus) than a song with impressive spitting but stale beats (much of Eminem's discography).

Eminem can fall off a cliff all he wants, but his production is hardly an issue. Slim Shady LP, MMLP, and Eminem Show were more than terrific in that regard, hell even his lesser albums have good production. The larger issue isn't his stale beats, it's eminem being stale in general. There were was a time when him rapping about his mom, and kim, and how he doesn't give a **** worked, and then he made the same albums, but tried to get cute with.

Then he made Recovery and MMLP2 and you realized oh okay, he had a brief window where his music had merit, and now it's like he's fishing to make a comeback.

He suffers from something similar to modern day Jay-Z. The difference is Jay-Z's change feels natural and he is aware of it all, his justification works. His best music was when Jay-Z was more raw, when he could validate being more raw, he wasn't the juggernaut that he is today. So naturally all his music today is I'm the shit, i'm rich, I'm a business god in the hip hop scene, etc, etc. You don't have to like it, but you can respect that Jay-Z's evolution makes sense and is validated. Eminem's evolution was a product of him fishing because he's creatively deprived.

That said we're taking Em's best tracks vs Kanye, I'll take Eminem's work any day of the week. The Way I am is legit fantastic, ditto for Criminal, ditto for the over abused Till I Colapse, ditto for his beef tracks like canibitch, maria carey diss, nail in the coffin, or his verses on renegade or the sheer greatness that is hellbound. Kanye post college dropout? No thank you. Kanye can be "imaginative" and "forward thinking" all he wants, he sucks.

Must be a chicago thing, they got weak rappers.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kuu2

Not a fan of bigots like Kanye. He would never run up on stage and get in a black artists face like he has done to Beck or Swift.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jg4xchamp

@kuu2 said:

Not a fan of bigots like Kanye. He would never run up on stage and get in a black artists face like he has done to Beck or Swift.

Okay relax, the beck thing was clearly a joke. A sense of humor never hurt anyone.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kuu2

@jg4xchamp: Are you saying he isn't? Beck might have been a joke but it was one in poor taste and I have heard him in plenty of interviews. He is the last guy I would want to see be involved in the games industry.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GreySeal9

@jg4xchamp said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Eminem can fall off a cliff all he wants, but his production is hardly an issue. Slim Shady LP, MMLP, and Eminem Show were more than terrific in that regard, hell even his lesser albums have good production. The larger issue isn't his stale beats, it's eminem being stale in general. There were was a time when him rapping about his mom, and kim, and how he doesn't give a **** worked, and then he made the same albums, but tried to get cute with.

Then he made Recovery and MMLP2 and you realized oh okay, he had a brief window where his music had merit, and now it's like he's fishing to make a comeback.

That said we're taking Em's best tracks vs Kanye, I'll take Eminem's work any day of the week. The Way I am is legit fantastic, ditto for Criminal, ditto for the over abused Till I Colapse, ditto for his beef tracks like canibitch, maria carey diss, nail in the coffin, or his verses on renegade or the sheer greatness that is hellbound. Kanye post college dropout? No thank you.

Well, there's a reason I said "much of Eminem's discography." The early albums indeed had good production (tho quite limited compared to Kanye's sonic palette), but I can't agree that the lesser albums did. Even the Eminem Show (which, to be fair, is a great album overall) feels a little stale in that regard and everything else just sounds so dated. Recovery is horrific production-wise. Was kind of shocked by how bad that album sounded.

But I do agree that the subject matter and the lack of artistic growth is a bigger issue.

As far Eminem .vs. Kanye's best tracks, I'll say that there are many Eminem verses and examples of lyrical craftmanship that Kanye can't even begin to **** with. But on a musical level? Can't agree. Kanye does shit musically that just rethinks how a hip hop song can sound. I'm thinking about stuff the intro to Dark Fantasy or the "beautiful death" bit of Power or that part in New Slaves where the instrumental shifts to this powerful electro-slave spiritual sounding shit that stopped me in my tracks as a listener.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

No doubt health pick ups will be fish sticks...being that he loves fish sticks so much.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

to the highest gate of heaven we go!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jg4xchamp

@GreySeal9 said:

Well, there's a reason I said "much of Eminem's discography." The early albums indeed had good production (tho quite limited compared to Kanye's sonic palette), but I can't agree that the lesser albums did. Even the Eminem Show (which, to be fair, is a great album overall) feels a little stale in that regard and everything else just sounds so dated. Recovery is horrific production-wise. Was kind of shocked by how bad that album sounded.

But I do agree that the subject matter and the lack of artistic growth is a bigger issue.

As far Eminem .vs. Kanye's best tracks, I'll say that there are many Eminem verses and examples of lyrical craftmanship that Kanye can't even begin to **** with. But on a musical level? Can't agree. Kanye does shit musically that just rethinks how a hip hop song can sound. I'm thinking about stuff the intro to Dark Fantasy or the "beautiful death" bit of Power or that part in New Slaves where the instrumental shifts to this powerful electro-slave spiritual sounding shit that stopped me in my tracks as a listener.

See i don't like your wording here, why is it always "on a musical level'...we ignore the lyrical aspect of it? I don't care how meh some of Big L's older productions sound, that guy was fire on a microphone. The lyrics still matter, the singing still matters, the pace, the flow all that still matters, and it makes Kanye's music out right mediocre (although his flow is never actually the issue) because it holds under no scrutiny. I don't care what he does with his production if what he is saying is lame. Nas rarely ever had good productions, much less great ones, but his music was overall terrific and far more meaningful in the long run than shit Kanye has ever done.

I can listen to a mediocre rapper with strong beats up until a point, I quite enjoy how gloriously stupid Asap Rocky is, because shitlike this, is hype. But Kanye's shit is just tiring, his production, what he raps about, how he presents himself makes you think he should be way the **** better than he is. Because as a rapper he's been mediocre for a long ass time. I understand this is a difference in value, and in theory I am downplaying how brilliant Kanye is at production, but I'm not apologizing for not liking someones music for what comes out of their mouth.

As good as I think late registration is, I wouldn't put it over the 3 Eminem albums like. Much less put his work with greats like Reasonable Doubt, Illmatic, Ready to Die, All Eyez on Me, Lifestyle of Da Poor and Dangerous, or even recent shit like Kno's Death is Silent, which has the fantastic production to go along with someone who is good on a microphone.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

dude made 1 good cd, over 10 years ago. and even then, the best song on that cd he was destroyed by mos def.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Good luck topping Blood On The Sand. One of the best games of last decade and a masterpiece in treating video games like the jokes they are.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

The man is a genius, and by genius I mean moron.

He is sort of an idiot savant, isn't he?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mems_1224

Kanye>Eminem. **** you champ.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jg4xchamp

@mems_1224 said:

Kanye>Eminem. **** you champ.

I wouldn't expect less from a Lupe lover.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GreySeal9

@jg4xchamp said:

@GreySeal9 said:

See i don't like your wording here, why is it always "on a musical level'...we ignore the lyrical aspect of it? I don't care how meh some of Big L's older productions sound, that guy was fire on a microphone. The lyrics still matter, the singing still matters, the pace, the flow all that still matters, and it makes Kanye's music out right mediocre (although his flow is never actually the issue) because it holds under no scrutiny. I don't care what he does with his production if what he is saying is lame. Nas rarely ever had good productions, much less great ones, but his music was overall terrific and far more meaningful in the long run than shit Kanye has ever done.

I can listen to a mediocre rapper with strong beats up until a point, I quite enjoy how gloriously stupid Asap Rocky is, because shitlike this, is hype. But Kanye's shit is just tiring, his production, what he raps about, how he presents himself makes you think he should be way the **** better than he is. Because as a rapper he's been mediocre for a long ass time. I understand this is a difference in value, and in theory I am downplaying how brilliant Kanye is at production, but I'm not apologizing for not liking someones music for what comes out of their mouth.

As good as I think late registration is, I wouldn't put it over the 3 Eminem albums like. Much less put his work with greats like Reasonable Doubt, Illmatic, Ready to Die, All Eyez on Me, Lifestyle of Da Poor and Dangerous, or even recent shit like Kno's Death is Silent, which has the fantastic production to go along with someone who is good on a microphone.

Damn, champ. You're actually making me put effort into SW posts!

I agree that the pace and the flow does matter as far as the music is concerned. But I'm less concerned with the technical greatness of the flow than if it compliments the overall artistic vision (tho to be fair, your issue isn't with the flow). But I guess where we differ in opinion is that you think that the rapping side of Kanye's music doesn't live up to what the production promises. Which is a fair opinion. Not necessarily one I agree with (tho in some instances I do) but understandable nevertheless.

As far as lyrics are concerned, I think they can be separated from the music. I mean, how many pop songs out there have dumb fucking lyrics but hold their own in terms of melody, arrangement, etc? I do understand that lyrical content tends to be more important in judging a rapper's legacy over a pop musician, but still, it's really a case of getting different things from different artists (tho there are cases in which lyrical greatness and forward-thinking production have a successful marriage: i.e. Outkast). Kanye gives me that not-afraid-to-take-things-into-left-field production that I need and I listen to Nas when I want lyrical depth and thoughtful wordsmithing. And then there are some albums and rappers that give you both.

The Nas example is a good point but I maintain that Illmatic is amazing on all levels and part of the reason his subsequent albums aren't as good is because the beats sound a lot worse. Tho I will concede that Illmatic's legacy will always be tied to its lyricism.

And I'll agree that Kanye doesn't have classics on the level of those albums you listed but it has a lot to do with context. Not sure I'd agree with All Eyez On Me. I find that album pretty spotty, tho I recognize that it does have an important legacy.