Just how does Sony manage to have all these exclusive AAAE developers?

• 156 results
GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GhostHawk196
Member since 2012 • 1337 Posts

As a PC gamer, I would prefer to have all my games on the 1 console/platform as it makes accessing my games very easy. Though having said that PC gaming is a pain in the ass as it is because you need to have Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battlenet, GOG and now Windows store...But it is none the less all installed and fitted to one massive box (or whatever you keep your pc in). The point is I have no reason to be biased because as a gamer I love games and if an incredible game is on a platform exclusive to that platform then I must own that platform because to not own it would be to miss out on a incredible gaming experience. As much as I would love to ditch the PS4&PS3 to use the proceeds for another harddrive upgrade for my PC or a new keyboard and mouse it is just too good of a system simply because of the exclusives.

I'm just curious, in terms of financial position Sony is nowhere near microsoft in this regard yet they are able to maintain all these incredible developers and exclusives which are talented beyond belief.

NaughtyDog is easily one of the best developers ever, they're capable of making the most beautiful games on consoles as well as putting heart to their content making every game meaningful beyond just a game. Uncharted 4 not only has the most beautiful graphics ever seen on the console, it also has plenty of humour and a meaningful ending contrast this to Rise of the Tomb raider where all Crystal Dynamics did was make Lara hot, her hair look smooth and brainless shooting here and there. The Last of Us is another example of a masterpiece which simply cannot be beaten, once again it is a very beautiful game with a meaningful story.

Fromsoftware has made two of the best combat rpg games ever, these games whilst lacking in story makes up in the sheer gameplay.

Guerrilla Games responsible for the incredible Killzone shooters, I personally find them to be much more superior to Halo but that's beside the point. These games have the most solid shooting comparable to games like Doom and Wolfenstein. Every bullet you fire packs a punch you can feel when you push down R2 or R1 and you can feel it hitting the enemy. Now they've moved on to a different style but looking at the recent E3 trailer Horizon looks bloody amazing.

Quantic dream might be an acquired taste and I admit Beyond Two Souls was a bit weird and all over the place but lets not forget, telltales success is somewhat a copy of this kind of style. I'm not saying they're the first to make interactive games/movies but they did a damn fine job with Heavy Rain. Sure games like Dreamfall The longest Journey preceeded this but Quantic Dream's games even after playing telltales games fell like the level of detail telltale games should be. Detroit well and truly looks to be an incredible game.

Suckerpunch might not have made an AAA game but their exclusive infamous was nonetheless a very fun open world game

Sony Santa Monica made one of the very best hack and slash games however given the popularity of combat games like Bloodborne, Dark Souls, they have adapted with their new God of War game which looks nothing less than incredible.

The point is despite their lack of financial position compared to Microsoft, just how are they able to maintain all these exclusives?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

From is not a Sony developer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Booze and Brothels.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

They made a deal with the devil.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Your thread is going to get flamed to hell by angry lems!

But to answer your question, by being a friendly, open minded and open arms game company who cares about game quality and fans of their systems.

To quote Heil68, we can sum it up and say it's Sony's live, love, learn philosophy on display.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Also lol at Sucker Punch, Guerrilla, and Quantic Dream being called 'AAA' developers.

The only one consistently AAA developer Sony has is Naughty Dog. That's it. And Sony Santa Monica.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GhostHawk196

@casharmy said:

But to answer your question, by being a friendly, open minded and open arms game company who cares about game quality and fans of their systems.

To quote Heil68, we can sum it up and say it's Sony's live, love, learn philosophy on display.

Well it'll be easy to weed out the lems who just want to pick a fight out of jealousy or a true gamer who has a genuine appreciation for video games.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Kaz Harai is Sony's CEO now. PlayStation is near and dear to his heart so expect great support from the head honcho.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By casharmy

@charizard1605 said:

Also lol at Sucker Punch, Guerrilla, and Quantic Dream being called 'AAA' developers.

The only one consistently AAA developer Sony has is Naughty Dog. That's it. And Sony Santa Monica.

I think making a critically certified AAA game qualifies you to be called an AAA dev even if they don't meet that level with every game. Showing the ability to make a game of AAA caliber is what I think is important.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

You forgot Santa Monica. And, while they're not owned by Sony, Insomniac Games is making another exclusive, the Spiderman game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@casharmy said:
@charizard1605 said:

I think making a critically certified AAA game qualifies you to be called an AAA dev even if they don't meet that level with every game. Showing the ability to make a game of AAA caliber is what I think is important.

I have respect for Sony Japan- but they put out one great game in ten years. Quantic Dream is trash and everything that is wrong with modern gaming. Sucker Punch make mid tier games, that's AA tier at best, not even close to AAA. Guerrilla have made one game that could be called anything above average, and that came out eight years ago, and they've followed up on that game with consistent misfires.

Therefore, we are left with two: Naughty Dog. And Sony Santa Monica.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

That is not a long list, and some of it is wrong....

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GhostHawk196

@jcrame10 said:

You forgot Santa Monica. And, while they're not owned by Sony, Insomniac Games is making another exclusive, the Spiderman game.

I didn't enjoy Resistance 1,2 or 3 very much but sure, can add racket and clank reboot to that list as well.

And just how the **** did I forget Sony Santa Monica with the new God of War game...

@MBirdy88 said:

That is not a long list, and some of it is wrong....

Compared to Microsoft's little line up of 343 and The Coalition which may I add have never made any AAAE games and if you want to add Crystal Dynamics then go ahead. The point is, the return given the amount of resources each company has.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@GhostHawk196: Are you going to respond to the parts where you are wrong?

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@charizard1605: AAA in terms of budget for games. You seem pretty slow lately...or maybe just trolling.

Only a fool cannot see that Sony publishes way more AAA budget games than Nintendo or Microsoft.

And if a studio like Insomniac or From Software makes a game for So my it counts whether they own them or not.

Spider-Man is now a Sony exclusive game while Microsoft gets times rights to old shit like Dead Rising.

Microsoft's exclusive output is pathetic for how much money they have. There is no debating this...

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@GhostHawk196: also Sony Bend (Syphon Filter) is making Days Gone, Media Molecule (Littlebigplanet, Tearaway) is making Dreams. They could both potentially be good

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@StrongBlackVine said:

@charizard1605: AAA in budget. You seem pretty slow lately...

Then just about every other company has as many AAA games and studios. There is nothing unique about Sony. And even so, naming studios like Sucker Punch or From, that are AA in terms of budget at best, is laughable.

And I'm the one who's 'slow.' I noticed you just started having problems with my 'being slow' when I started praising anything other than Sony again. Goes to show you.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GhostHawk196

@charizard1605 said:

Take it out fine but my point still stands, for the lack of financial position Sony has a damn fine list of AAA developers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@charizard1605: What about Media Molecule? Not even for LBP but Tearaway is amazing and shows the hidden talent of this dev. Have high hopes for Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@GhostHawk196 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Take it out fine but still my point still stands, for the lack of financial position Sony has a damn fine list of AAA developers.

Sure, not gonna argue with that. They put a lot of money into games and passion projects, fund more new IPs than either Microsoft or Nintendo, support more unique games likely to fail than most other publishers on the market, and ust generally put an absurd amount into backing their games up. Those parts we can appreciate and acknowledge.

No need to be misleading about it is what I am saying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Vatusus said:

@charizard1605: What about Media Molecule? Not even for LBP but Tearaway is amazing and shows the hidden talent of this dev. Have high hopes for Dreams

I like 'em a lot. But their games are not AAA in terms of quality, even though they are charming, whimsical, and inventive, and they are definitely not AAA in terms of budget.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By casharmy

@charizard1605 said:
@casharmy said:

I have respect for Sony Japan- but they put out one great game in ten years. Quantic Dream is trash and everything that is wrong with modern gaming. ...

Sorry Bro, Detroit Become Human looks amazing to me. Guess we have to agree to disagree here.

Loading Video...

Perhaps you could watch and see the passion behind their project and maybe dispel some of your negative perception.

These guys have vision and really love their games and how to give players new experiences. I think what they're doing here is really impressive and interesting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@casharmy: I have no love for David Cage and his vision for 'games.' To top it off, he's also a bad writer, and writing is the one thing his games are predicated on.

That said, I have openly said before Detroit looks interesting to me regardless. I am definitely even more intrigued by it now after that E3 showing, which I enjoyed. But I am not going to give the studio the benefit of the doubt, not until they prove themselves to me. Between Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, and Beyond, I have nothing but distaste for the studio.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@charizard1605: Sony produces more AAA games than Microsoft(in terms of budget and critical reception). Not sure how much Nintendo games cost but most of them look AA in terms of budget. This new Zelda game is probably the biggest production they have made in a long time.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Forgot Sony Santa Monica?

Don't think there's a simple answer to that. I guess Sony's involvement in the movie indstry is part of it. Sony has nurtutred these studios for years and have them deliver the kind of games that are a little bit more artistic than the mainstream blockbuster money makers (compare for example the Last of Us with the Division), while still having a very broad appeal. It's a strategy that has worked out awesome for them as it pulls in a lot of people for these unique experiences who then spend their cash on Destiny as well.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Because SONY is simple the best...................for the gamers.Than you SONY.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Why do I have trouble believing the TC is a PC gamer?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Naughty Dog is the only competent Sony studio.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GhostHawk196

@GarGx1 said:

Why do I have trouble believing the TC is a PC gamer?

Is it because I don't have the latest GTX1080? Well if any retailers would sell me one i'd gladly pay the premium but I have a feeling I won't be able to get one until later next month...

Do Sony make the best in each genre? Well absolutely not, games like Wolfenstein, Bioshock, Doom thrash Killzone in every way whereas The Witcher 3 obliterates any RPG game for that matter but the point is they made damn good games for every genre. 2 which they dominate in, that being adventure games - Uncharted 4 and Survival shooters - The last of us

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@charizard1605: AAA pretty much means big budget

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@casharmy said:

Yup, that's why they Naughty Duds were ordered by Sony to copy Gears of War after its success in Naughty Duds own words. So much for creative freedom.

@Topic, that's a terrible list. Only talented studio at Sony is Santa Monica.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GhostHawk196

@zeeshanhaider said:
@casharmy said:

Yup, that's why they Naughty Duds were ordered by Sony to copy Gears of War after its success in Naughty Duds own words. So much for creative freedom.

I'm sorry, just how is Uncharted or The last of Us similar to gears of war in any aspect whether it be art style, gameplay or story?

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#34 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

They don't.

Of the three console manufacturers, Sony's library is my least favourite. It's got Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Uncharted, and then a bunch of games that have better versions elsewhere (I also like Little Big Planet 2). It also has a lot of movie-games that appeal to reviewers looking for an easy experience and don't care if the gamer gets the 100's of hours out of it you should get from a game.

GhostHawk196

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GhostHawk196

I thought it was plain obvious why Microsoft has all of a sudden decided to ditch exclusive games completely, it is because they're incapable of making any exclusives to rival Sony this generation. This was very different from last gen when already had Bungie's halo games as well as Epic's gears of war. Those two alone sold X360's, coupled with the fact that the console was cheaper so it was a no brainer to get a X360 over PS3. The difference this generation is the very fact that Microsoft no longer has these developers such as Bungie and Epic and it was completely unreasonable to expect that 343 and The Coalition could immediately embrace the experience acquired by those studios throughout their years of game development. So we're left with Halo 5 which was no where to the standard of Bungie's Halo Reach and now Gears of War 4 though seeing it hasn't released we cannot critique based on the trailers alone. If gears of war judgement provided a good indication of what Gears of War 4 would be it would be a complete Flop.

The point I'm making is Microsoft made a poor decision to acquire a Square Enix game, lets be honest, Crystal Dynamic doesn't exactly publish AAA quality games ie. Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, Hitman. They're fun games but nothing to the quality of games from Naughty Dog or CDProjektRED. Square Enix is just a japanese version of THQ/Deep Silver. Cheap titles. What they should have done was be more ambitious and acquire exclusives from Rockstar Games or CDProjektRED(This is completely unrealistic) or Bethesda...

You can't compare with exclusives by making clones just like Sony didn't compete directly with Microsoft's Gears of War or Halo with Uncharted, instead it made it's own style and worked out for the best. It was a poor decision by Microsoft to use Tomb Raider to compete with Uncharted because everyone knows they are getting the B-grade product rather than the real deal.

That's how I think Microsoft could have gone about it, what do you guys think?

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Killzone 2 has a Meteoritic of 91, so by definition that is AAAE.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@flyincloud1116 said:
@charizard1605 said:

And that one game came out eight years ago.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Flyincloud1116

@charizard1605 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Okay, but it came out.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Polyphony? Media Molecule? Bend Studio? Insomniac? Japan Studio(with tean ICO in it)?

Your making Sony look bad :( please update you thread!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@flyincloud1116 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Okay, but it came out.

Long enough ago and as a one off that the studio can't be called AAA.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Flyincloud1116

Okay, what is the real definition of AAA? I'm seeing 2 different meanings.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@Vatusus said:

I like 'em a lot. But their games are not AAA in terms of quality.

Huh? You were talking quality before when discussing Sucker Punch etc, but regarding MM quality?

Yes, they are AAA when talking quality of their home console games. They hit the highly coveted and rare 90+ metascore twice in terms of quality:

95/100 Metascore = LittleBigPlanet 1 http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/littlebigplanet

91/100 Metascore = LittleBigPlanet 2 http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/littlebigplanet-2

Tearaway for handheld Vita was a misstep in that they didn't hit 90 (their first handheld game) but a still Tearaway still sits at a high 87/100, which Tarsier Studios ported to PS4 as Unfolded.

MM's first PS4 game Dreams is underway.

I think for their three games, MM hit 2/3 a 90+ metascore in terms of quality and the one time they misfired making a handheld title they still hit an 87/100.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidTy: Alright, MM can be AAA in terms of reception too.

@flyincloud1116 said:

Okay, what is the real definition of AAA? I'm seeing 2 different meanings.

It can mean either budget (the traditional meaning) or reception (the Gamespot meaning).

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Media Molecule is AAA for sure, both quality and budget, however there are no definite way to classify AAA so its pointless arguing, it just depends on the person.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

They are more open to variety and experimenting with new gameplay systems. I guess then you have more space for different types of devs. Microsoft, for example, mostly focus on popular genres and software that complements gaming rather than in games.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Think the company in whole is starting to benefit from cutting out the dead weight from its other divisions and focusing on its strengths. So probably better support for its first party and also grab support from third party developers.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

Square Enix is making 2 exclusives (at least) for them in world of final fantasy and nier automata.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Naughty Dog is the only competent Sony studio.

No, it isnt. Stop with this factually false bullshit remark. ND might be the only Sony studio that makes games that appeal to YOU, but its NOT the only competent sony studio. Sony has plenty of studios who created highly rated games over the years, you like it or not: Polyphony Digital, Sony Santa Monica, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Sony Japan, Team ICO, San Diego (MLB The Show series), GG, Studio Liverpool (now dead but they still created Wipeout wich was big in the 90s)

So no, you're factually wrong if we go by rationality and not your personal feelings

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

@Vatusus: I'm always objective. Your anger lies with Sony, not me.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Sucker Punch make great games. Have you played the Sly Cooper series? They are easily one of the best platformers ever.

Also Polyphony Digital make the Gran Turismo games. The Sony Japan studios have made many great games.

Insomniac are almost a first party developer. Sony Bend made Syphon Filter.

It's not just Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.