Just got a PS4, honest graphics comparison to PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by chriscoolguy (489 posts) -

First I will state my PC specs. I5 2500, 16 gigs of memory, and a sapphire 7950 with 3 gigs. I compared Metro low light + crysis 3 to my PS4 running Killzone, since that's the only PS4 game I have right now other than the Playstation Plus games that are free. I have to say from what I can tell it's pretty much a wash. With my hardware anyways. I can't tell which really looks better. I can say Crysis 3 has better rain effects, but killzone looks just as good with the fire and smoke effects. Character models are about a wash. Textures look SLIGHTLY better on Crysis 3.

Killzone has more stuff going on for sure as far as animation on the screen. Killzone runs like butter, I can make my Crysis 3 run the same but would have to lower settings a little. Shadows look better on Crysis 3. Metro low light I would say has the same strengths as Crysis 3 for the post part. Lighting looks better on Killzone than Crysis 3, but about equal with Metro low light. All in all man like I said it's about a wash. To me KZ and the PC games I have look like they could be on the same hardware. My PC may have a SLIGHT edge, but man you have to look hard for it.

For a $400 PS4 to be able to completely hang with my PC is very impressive.

#2 Edited by sts106mat (20425 posts) -

must have 500 posts to make new threads

it's also a blog topic

sorry

#3 Edited by HaloinventedFPS (4736 posts) -

Yeah it's impressive PS4 can keep up with 2011 hardware...
Xbox 360 destroyed any PC from 2002 for comparison

#4 Posted by MBirdy88 (9029 posts) -

The problem with this whole analogy is simple.

Your asking... a 2007 engine thats beefed up to compete with a 2013/2014 console launch title, specifically hand crafted for graphics presentation...

This happens every single generation. for the first year, consolites brag about "matching" pc... or in xbox360 beating it with gears of war for like 6 months....

then it all reverts back to normal.

so as a hermit, why should I care that a console matches my 3 year old PC for a year max? when a generation is now lasting nearly 10 years?

is this some sort of win?

#5 Edited by MisterXMedia (233 posts) -

You think that's good? Wait until stereo driver update on 2015 to unlock Xbone's 15 TF GPU. Your PC won't stand a chance.

#6 Edited by chriscoolguy (489 posts) -

MBirdy88 I just thought I would give my impressions for people on the fence. I do think it's pretty impressive that my $400 PS4 gives about identical performance to my PC which has a $180 CPU, $130 Asrock Motherboard, $150 worth of ram and a $280 video card (I paid $280 they are selling for like $400 now) I think that is worth mentioning in a system wars thread. Is it better than my PC? no, but they are equal. It's almost impossible to tell a difference between the two as far as graphics go.

#7 Posted by mems_1224 (48577 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

The problem with this whole analogy is simple.

Your asking... a 2007 engine thats beefed up to compete with a 2013/2014 console launch title, specifically hand crafted for graphics presentation...

This happens every single generation. for the first year, consolites brag about "matching" pc... or in xbox360 beating it with gears of war for like 6 months....

then it all reverts back to normal.

so as a hermit, why should I care that a console matches my 3 year old PC for a year max? when a generation is now lasting nearly 10 years?

is this some sort of win?

Not only that but Killzone doesn't even run at a steady 60fps

#8 Edited by Large_Soda (8620 posts) -

I have a very capable PC and a PS4 with Killzone and while I agree Killzone looks really good I couldn't be bothered to play past the third stage. Who cares how good a game looks when it isn't a compelling experience?

#9 Posted by WG_McFartypants (233 posts) -

@MisterXMedia said:

You think that's good? Wait until stereo driver update on 2015 to unlock Xbone's 15 TF GPU. Your PC won't stand a chance.

Oh, Jesus, you're real? I thought the cows made you up.

Scratch that. I WISH the cows made you up.

#10 Posted by clyde46 (47595 posts) -

@Large_Soda said:

I have a very capable PC and a PS4 with Killzone and while I agree Killzone looks really good I couldn't be bothered to play past the third stage. Who cares how good a game looks when it isn't a compelling experience?

Oh god, so much this.

#11 Edited by kinectthedots (2673 posts) -

@chriscoolguy said:

MBirdy88 I just thought I would give my impressions for people on the fence. I do think it's pretty impressive that my $400 PS4 gives about identical performance to my PC which has a $180 CPU, $130 Asrock Motherboard, $150 worth of ram and a $280 video card (I paid $280 they are selling for like $400 now) I think that is worth mentioning in a system wars thread. Is it better than my PC? no, but they are equal. It's almost impossible to tell a difference between the two as far as graphics go.

don't bother with MBirdy88, he is a xbox fanboy turned hermit because the xbox failed him yet still bitter that playstaton turned out to be the better system than what his favorite console was.

Anythig you say positive about a playstation console or Sony product he will try to trear down, it's like his job or something. About your original post, I am glad you shared your opinion here, you obviously think it is important and it is good to hear the opinion of someone who isn't a raging fanboy.