June is do or die for Iwata and the Wii U

• 138 results
#101 Posted by AznbkdX (3221 posts) -

I've heard this stuff many a times. At this point you might as well not care too much about it. Wait until the next console cycle.

#102 Posted by DocSanchez (1639 posts) -

I don't think Iwata is going anywhere for the time being. He will dine off the success of the wii and probably has enough cred with the shareholders to weather one failure.

#103 Posted by santoron (7774 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@santoron said:

@hotdiddykong said:

@Shinobishyguy:

What do you expect from a community that does nothing but want Nintendo to die? Nintendo never gets respect no matter what they do and when they do what people want, people just become arrogant and blab about wanting said games on their consoles.

How does wanting Nintendo games on more platforms equate to wanting Nintendo to die?

I know, System Wars and all that, but you guys are way too attached to what box your games go into.

Do I have to repeat what I was saying in another argument again? Something I've said continually in past threads?

You wanna jump in with an opinion? Sure, shoot. I'm certainly not going to go research for your thoughts...

#104 Posted by way2funny (4570 posts) -

@nini200 said:

This album sold millions though. Po Pimp is still a highly regarded classic

Thread Winner.

Do you wanna ride.. in the backseat of a caddy, choppin it up with miyamoto

#105 Posted by kemar7856 (11507 posts) -

so their betting everything on mario kart 8 are they serious

#106 Posted by DocSanchez (1639 posts) -

@kemar7856: There's this notion that people weren't aware it was coming out so have been waiting for confirmation to buy a wii u.

Everyone knows what library it would have years before it was announced and yet they still haven't bought one. The reality of the situation will not change in the long term once they release the two games everyone knew were coming a long time ago.

#107 Posted by MirkoS77 (7579 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

As opposed to quality-of-life--having their resources shifted to something that's not related to gaming at all? That to me defines selling out and is the worst possible outcome. Selling out of games into another area entirely, simply for profit. Thing being, Iwata, through his shortsightedness, stubbornness, cluelessness, and inaction throughout the years has allowed Nintendo to get into the position where mobile gaming is now being heavily pressured by investors, and yet people somehow believe that this man that's led the company to this point will somehow prevent them from executing on this direction he forced by his own incompetence because he's the "ultimate gaming CEO, he is a developer and holds pure gaming values" or some other nonsense.

Iwata and his poor leadership have backed Nintendo into a corner and left it with few options, and that could've been avoided if he knew what he was doing and kept on top of things in the past. But he didn't. He sat on his ass and let Nintendo become complacent to fall so behind. He let it stall.

Personally, I'd prefer to have Nintendo begin to develop on mobile than avert its attention and resources to some non-wearable health oriented fiasco that really has nothing to do with gaming whatsoever. Do you think that if QoL is wildly successful that Nintendo won't radically shift its attention off of games and put the majority of their effort behind it? This is what Iwata wants. He doesn't give a shit about gaming, he cares about profit, and in my eyes he is the definition of a sellout. I want him gone ASAFP, he is a danger to everything Nintendo represents and is seriously damaging the brand.

About QoL: You DO realize that Nintendo has moved from industry to industry, right (Hanafuda Cards, Love Hotels, Toys)? They did all that under the Yamauchi name. I surely won't buy anything related to QoL, but if Nintendo falls back from gaming and goes to that, then so be it (not like gaming's going to go anywhere with them gone, but even if that happens, again, so be it). Let THAT part of history repeat itself, not commit an act that's pretty much asking them to pull corporate suicide. It's better that happens than stay in gaming and go on systems with audiences that just don't care about what Nintendo would bring to their systems (as long as the likes of Activision/Bethesda/Capcom/EA/Square Enix/Ubisoft/Rockstar are still around and as long as there is more appeal for Sony/MS' first/second party offerings) AND the risk of quality going straight to hell.

You really do believe that Nintendo going mobile would led to their demise? This belief assumes a hell of a lot, and I don't quite know what it's predicated upon. I'm a bit surprised you'd rather they completely go QoL before they'd embrace the devil which apparently is mobile. Where does this hatred for it come from? On what basis do you assume quality would drop? Why would it be selling out, or compromising, anymore than QoL would be? I'm getting the impression that you'd rather Nintendo cease to exist rather than go mobile to any extent and that astounds me.

"It's better that happens than stay in gaming and go on systems with audiences that just don't care about what Nintendo would bring to their systems"

That's funny you say that, because that's precisely what's happening with the Wii U right now and why it's in the position it is.

#108 Posted by nini200 (9824 posts) -

@way2funny said:

@nini200 said:

This album sold millions though. Po Pimp is still a highly regarded classic

Thread Winner.

Do you wanna ride.. in the backseat of a caddy, choppin it up with miyamoto

Mmm ain't this some Shhhh,

Pulled up in a M, A, R, I, OK, A, R, T, Green light goes, Hit Turbos,

M, U, S, H, and they eat that automatically, make them grow big all magically,

Fulla Dat, M, O, N, E, but Y, cuz Shiggy be sportin nice cars and fancy clothes, Fresh 3DS, cant find in sto'es.

Pick up that flower tho, Pick up that flower tho, watch where that pipe go, fireball dat fish tho, to the flagpole, real simple.

#109 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4894 posts) -

@nini200: inspirational

you are a lol generator

#110 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9818 posts) -

I guess this means they are banking on MarioKart

#111 Posted by MirkoS77 (7579 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@MirkoS77: They went out of their way to clarify that qol isn't going to shift their focus away from gaming yet we're still getting posts like this

What makes you think that I believe a single word that comes from this company? They are proven liars and bullshitters, time and again.

And you're naive to believe that if QoL proves successful it will not heavily divert resources away from gaming. Hell, even if it's not successful, Nintendo can barely get games out in a meaningful time-frame much less accomplish anything else as it is. Do you honestly buy that having to support a third pillar unrelated to gaming will hold no impact on putting games out? They only have a finite amount of resources. It WILL shift focus off of gaming despite what they say or you choose to believe.

#112 Edited by nini200 (9824 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

@nini200: inspirational

you are a lol generator

#113 Edited by MirkoS77 (7579 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

I don't think Iwata is going anywhere for the time being. He will dine off the success of the wii and probably has enough cred with the shareholders to weather one failure.

Sadly, probably not for the time being. He's taken too many steps that ensure people will support him. He is a master manipulator that uses his personality and Directs to emphasize his cute little hat-wearing, banana-holding charismatic act so people will defend him on the basis of "being a nice, funny guy" rather than "a sound CEO". I am fully convinced he could set fire to NCL's headquarters and Nintendrones would come to his defense because of this. Iwata's not stupid, he fully knows what his Directs and putting his face out at the front of the company are accomplishing. And people are being played like the piano by him. Directs are not just a different way to advertise. They are a PR tool to help cement Iwata's mug to Nintendo to help ensure his position despite his performance, and it's working.

And I can't agree he was successful during the Wii's reign. The Wii was largely successful in spite of him, not due to him. All of the problems that Nintendo is suffering currently stem from a lack of foresight and action taken during the time when they were swimming in cash. Iwata wasn't doing jack shit. He was arrogantly sitting on his ass doing NOTHING to prepare for the Wii U. He wasn't heavily expanding their development studios and investing in new ones. Nor overhauling their online. Or attempting to engage third parties. Many things he simply ignored/belittled and is now obviously scrambling to catch up on.

The Wii U is not just "one failure". It is a massive failure that is a product of multiple managerial failures and oversights that have spanned generations. Iwata wasn't somehow amazingly competent during the Wii and fell from grace; this is easily seen with the Wii U because the Wii U is a product of actions and philosophies executed during the Wii's period of prosperity. Which, given the Wii's amazing financial success, makes it all the more apparent how incompetent this guy really is when he had the world to work with yet still failed so hard.

#114 Posted by superbuuman (2893 posts) -

@GunSmith1_basic said:

I guess this means they are banking on MarioKart

lol..they already bank on Zelda WW HD remake which they touted AAA, then Cat Mario (even to the point of delaying DKC:TF) both fell below expectation. :P

#115 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26872 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

As opposed to quality-of-life--having their resources shifted to something that's not related to gaming at all? That to me defines selling out and is the worst possible outcome. Selling out of games into another area entirely, simply for profit. Thing being, Iwata, through his shortsightedness, stubbornness, cluelessness, and inaction throughout the years has allowed Nintendo to get into the position where mobile gaming is now being heavily pressured by investors, and yet people somehow believe that this man that's led the company to this point will somehow prevent them from executing on this direction he forced by his own incompetence because he's the "ultimate gaming CEO, he is a developer and holds pure gaming values" or some other nonsense.

Iwata and his poor leadership have backed Nintendo into a corner and left it with few options, and that could've been avoided if he knew what he was doing and kept on top of things in the past. But he didn't. He sat on his ass and let Nintendo become complacent to fall so behind. He let it stall.

Personally, I'd prefer to have Nintendo begin to develop on mobile than avert its attention and resources to some non-wearable health oriented fiasco that really has nothing to do with gaming whatsoever. Do you think that if QoL is wildly successful that Nintendo won't radically shift its attention off of games and put the majority of their effort behind it? This is what Iwata wants. He doesn't give a shit about gaming, he cares about profit, and in my eyes he is the definition of a sellout. I want him gone ASAFP, he is a danger to everything Nintendo represents and is seriously damaging the brand.

About QoL: You DO realize that Nintendo has moved from industry to industry, right (Hanafuda Cards, Love Hotels, Toys)? They did all that under the Yamauchi name. I surely won't buy anything related to QoL, but if Nintendo falls back from gaming and goes to that, then so be it (not like gaming's going to go anywhere with them gone, but even if that happens, again, so be it). Let THAT part of history repeat itself, not commit an act that's pretty much asking them to pull corporate suicide. It's better that happens than stay in gaming and go on systems with audiences that just don't care about what Nintendo would bring to their systems (as long as the likes of Activision/Bethesda/Capcom/EA/Square Enix/Ubisoft/Rockstar are still around and as long as there is more appeal for Sony/MS' first/second party offerings) AND the risk of quality going straight to hell.

You really do believe that Nintendo going mobile would led to their demise? This belief assumes a hell of a lot, and I don't quite know what it's predicated upon. I'm a bit surprised you'd rather they completely go QoL before they'd embrace the devil which apparently is mobile. Where does this hatred for it come from? On what basis do you assume quality would drop? Why would it be selling out, or compromising, anymore than QoL would be? I'm getting the impression that you'd rather Nintendo cease to exist rather than go mobile to any extent and that astounds me.

"It's better that happens than stay in gaming and go on systems with audiences that just don't care about what Nintendo would bring to their systems"

That's funny you say that, because that's precisely what's happening with the Wii U right now and why it's in the position it is.

Why don't you ask the people in THIS THREAD when CAPCOM announced they were cutting 51% of their forecast due to their focus on mobile gaming. Look at others companies such as Square Enix who have a similar focus and look where that's got them. Is that what you want out of a company you claim to be a F***ING fan of until the 'devil incarnate', known as Satoru Iwata took F***ING charge?

People may not care for the Wii U right now, but judging by the software sales, at least Mario and Zelda WW HD sold millions ON THEIR HARDWARE. Anywhere else, it would be even lower (sub 400,000-600,000 at most). Meanwhile, other publishers who have more power on the other systems will be breaking past millions.

#116 Posted by superbuuman (2893 posts) -

^ well the new Squenix CEO have finally admit, that they realise they've made mistakes..so hopefully much better games from them in future. Nintendo should just buy out Capcom...muahahaha! :p

#117 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4492 posts) -

They need to make A LOT of changes internally, because the Wii U wasn't the problem. It was how Nintendo handled it and their attitudes towards it.

Nintendo need to throw away their pride and start giving people what they want instead of what Nintendo wants. If they were listening to gamers and developers and what they wanted from the beginning, NONE of this would have happened, but no, Nintendo wants things Nintendo's way and now they have to understand that no body else does.

Nintendo still has a 'my way or the highway' attitude. That's dumb, it's not good for business, how can you compete like that. That shit doesn't fly anymore.

Even everyday things we take to granted like online gaming, Nintendo's still telling us that's not the way forward.

Even the name "Wii" shows Nintendos arrogance. The rest of the world didn't want it, they laughed, it's stupid... And then they used it again. The people at Nintendo in Japan think they're smarter than everyone else.

Nintendo deserves what they're getting right now. For all the shit MS took last year, at least they undid the bad stuff and are improving things and listening now, that's how you remain competitive. And MS did it quickly. Nintendo on the other hand hasn't really done it since the N64 days, in fact Sony has been schooling Nintendo in home consoles since 1994. twenty years, TWENTY FUCKING YEARS.

#118 Posted by locopatho (20373 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/01/report-nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-faces-crucial-challenge/

Iwata thinks the Wii U isnt selling because people don't know how fun it is. Investors and shareholders want Ninty to do something with their IPs. Shit aint lookin good

As I have said in the past, be it Nintendo related, or in the case of the idea of MS selling the XBOX brand, a good chunk of investors care nothing about gaming and only care about making money off who they invest, even if the ideas are totally STUPID.

"A good chunk"? Try "all" instead. Investing is about making money, the business type doesn't matter. The investors would be delighted if Nintendo switched to making septic tanks, if profits went up.

#119 Edited by MirkoS77 (7579 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Why don't you ask the people in THIS THREAD when CAPCOM announced they were cutting 51% of their forecast due to their focus on mobile gaming. Look at others companies such as Square Enix who have a similar focus and look where that's got them. Is that what you want out of a company you claim to be a F***ING fan of until the 'devil incarnate', known as Satoru Iwata took F***ING charge?

People may not care for the Wii U right now, but judging by the software sales, at least Mario and Zelda WW HD sold millions ON THEIR HARDWARE. Anywhere else, it would be even lower (sub 400,000-600,000 at most). Meanwhile, other publishers who have more power on the other systems will be breaking past millions.

Calm down man, this is nothing worth getting all riled up about.

I don't advocate a complete shift of Nintendo's attention/resources to mobile (nor understand why everyone automatically assumes this is what would happen if they were to do so), but I do find it's an area that needs to be addressed. I see nothing wrong with Nintendo forming a few studios to bring games such as Brain Age, Nintendogs, Warioware, and more of their casual offerings onto phones for budget prices to pursue that Wii audience they so desperately desire. Games that could also help be "gateway" titles to grow interest to look into Nintendo's dedicated wares. Many of their games are tailor made for mobile's interface. And if it doesn't bear fruit....so what? What's wrong with Nintendo experimenting in a market that may end up reaping them huge benefits? With due respect, I don't feel I should have to explain that Capcom isn't Nintendo, nor is SE. Anyway, I've just taken a look at Square Enix's mobile situation and it appears to me it's proving to be fairly lucrative. Or perhaps this fact, a statistic that resides within Nintendo's primarily focused market? Your point?

To the underlined: where are you getting this from aside from thin air?

What I want out of Nintendo is simple: to remain in the realm of gaming. Something that Iwata is now stepping away from, now necessitated by his many past fumblings that were entirely preventable, and you seem to have no trouble with as long as they avoid the 'devil incarnate' known as mobile. If going that route helps compliment and support their other core offerings, I say all the better. As long as their resources go towards games and not some "non-wearable health monitor" third pillar sellout bullshit. I find it hard to believe you can claim to be so much a fan yet then seem perfectly content with them abandoning gaming/going out of business altogether instead of going mobile.

Yes, I'm still a fan of Nintendo (if I wasn't I wouldn't do my rants) even with Iwata in charge, someone who you apparently have no reservation of still backing even though he's proven to be doing nothing but aiding in the expedition of Nintendo's massive face-plant. I want Nintendo to thrive and start kicking ass again instead of being the definition of chronic disappointment, hence I desperately want Iwata gone. I've wanted him gone 5+ years ago and every day he remains only goes to validate and reinforce my feelings that he's the wrong person to be in charge.

#120 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25549 posts) -

@sailor232 said:

They need to hold a Press conference at E3 first. If they do what they did last year, the WiiU is dead (even more than now).

Hold a Conference at E3 and show what?

Xenoblade 2? Bayonetta 2? Trailer for Zelda? and then what? Smash Bros? There is no Third Party, so Indies? It would be a terrible conference.

#121 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@sailor232 said:

They need to hold a Press conference at E3 first. If they do what they did last year, the WiiU is dead (even more than now).

Hold a Conference at E3 and show what?

Xenoblade 2? Bayonetta 2? Trailer for Zelda? and then what? Smash Bros? There is no Third Party, so Indies? It would be a terrible conference.

My thoughts exactly no games

#122 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart: Sounds like a Nintendo direct.

#123 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25549 posts) -

@lbjkurono23: Like I said, it would be a terrible conference.

#124 Edited by sayyy-gaa (4351 posts) -

this generation is a wrap for Nintendo. Doesn't matter what the shareholders want, doesn't matter what Iwata says, doesn't matter what ninty fanboys buy. Wiiu will fail. Time to button down the hatchets and start preparing for next gen. Now might be a good time to reach out to devs and ask what they want on a next gen console?

#125 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

@MirkoS77: Whats with this suspicion that nintendo is going to shift all their internal development teams on qol projects on the turn of a dime and ignore all the demand there is for mario, zelda, pokemon, animal crossing, fire emblem etc.?

Its not like they can't hire other seperate developers to work on qol projects or move the wiifit and wiisports projects onto this qol platform.

#126 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19940 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

@nintendoboy16: them shifting platforms doesn't equate to them shifting away from gaming entierly. Thats a massive leap of logic

But, like I also said, Nintendo switched businesses before (and it's better that than the other option).

You would rather them switch businesses than still make games?

#127 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26872 posts) -

@Ragnarok1051 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

@nintendoboy16: them shifting platforms doesn't equate to them shifting away from gaming entierly. Thats a massive leap of logic

But, like I also said, Nintendo switched businesses before (and it's better that than the other option).

Frankly, so their name wouldn't suffer anymore than it has in the industry it's mostly known in. YES! Is it really that wrong when Sonic fans asked SEGA to kill off that franchise when they thought that franchise was beyond help, courtesy of the horribad quality of Sonic 06 and several other games in that franchise?

Like I was saying to Mirko and Shinobi, not like gaming will be going anywhere if they leave.

#128 Posted by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

The text "The Legend of Zelda"HyruleWarriors.jpg

X by Monolith Soft logo E3 2013.pngSuper Smash Bros 4 merged logo, no subtitle.pngB2

What else do you think they'll show for Wii U?

#129 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9622 posts) -

@RogueStatus28 said:

What else do you think they'll show for Wii U?

I think we might see Miyamoto's new IP he's been working on since last summer and maybe a teaser of Retro's new game.

#130 Edited by blackace (20885 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Make it so.

@resevl4rlz said:

nintendo won't be at e3 they will do another nintendo direct

That's not good if that's actually true. They need to have a really big show at the E3 to get gamers back on their side. A "no show" would be a disaster. They better find some games and talk to some 3rd party developers.

#131 Edited by Ragnarok1051 (19940 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ragnarok1051 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

Frankly, so their name wouldn't suffer anymore than it has in the industry it's mostly known in. YES! Is it really that wrong when Sonic fans asked SEGA to kill off that franchise when they thought that franchise was beyond help, courtesy of the horribad quality of Sonic 06 and several other games in that franchise?

Like I was saying to Mirko and Shinobi, not like gaming will be going anywhere if they leave.

Weren't you bitching to someone else about their opinion about what Nintendo should do? Yours is even more selfish than theirs. At least theirs had them still making games.

#132 Edited by razu2444 (806 posts) -

They need to sack that idiot Iwata.

#133 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26872 posts) -

@Ragnarok1051 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ragnarok1051 said:

Weren't you bitching to someone else about their opinion about what Nintendo should do? Yours is even more selfish than theirs. At least theirs had them still making games.

It would be selfish if it was about only me. It isn't (never was). I made it clear in past posts that it was to prevent their quality from going downhill, and/or getting ignored on other systems with general audiences that would just ignore them when those same systems have content from other developers/publishers that have WAY more appeal than Nintendo IP's. If they departed from gaming and go into another industry and start anew, even I wouldn't be able touch their content (this would be their QoL as I have no plans to deal with that).

But, make no mistake even I don't want them gone and I want them to fix what they need fixing.

#134 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8142 posts) -

Nintendo still knows how to make a damn fine video game, unlike Sony and their movies. LOL

#135 Edited by MirkoS77 (7579 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@MirkoS77: Whats with this suspicion that nintendo is going to shift all their internal development teams on qol projects on the turn of a dime and ignore all the demand there is for mario, zelda, pokemon, animal crossing, fire emblem etc.?

Its not like they can't hire other seperate developers to work on qol projects or move the wiifit and wiisports projects onto this qol platform.

It won't be on the turn of a dime. But like Nintendoboy mentioned, they did abandon the Gameboy line after the DS took off. Still focused in the arena of gaming, sure, but the point of example stands-that they are willing to focus and head where the money is. And why shouldn't they? I don't blame them for going to the DS, and I think it was a brilliant decision. I love the dual screens on their handhelds.

Knowing what they did with the DS, now introduce something entirely gaming non-related. If it takes off, it won't be at the turn of a dime, but I think it's fairly assured that Nintendo will shift a large portion of its resources to support it. It's smart business. And the more they support it, the less resources they have to support games. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Nintendo will ever completely abandon their franchises (although the support they're giving some of them nowadays makes me wonder).....but it won't be nearly to the extent that we once had.

#136 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@lbjkurono23: Like I said, it would be a terrible conference.

What do you think they could/should do to crawl out from this hole? (moving forward)

#137 Posted by MirkoS77 (7579 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Ragnarok1051 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

Gaming as a whole will lose a great deal if Nintendo leaves. It won't be going anywhere, but it'll be a tremendous loss regardless which is why I want them to succeed. They offer what nobody else can.

#138 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

@MirkoS77: again alot of that scenario is assuming that nintendo will shift people from their EAD studios or retro studios over to work on qol stuff. These guys are game developers first and foremost and if nintendo values anything its their own developer ecosystem. It's verly closely knit and they aren't going to have them shift around and expect them to take to qol development like a duck to water, its a completely different beast.

If anything I expect them to get the people who normally work on the wii sports and fit series to work on stuff for the QOL platform and the rest of the devs keep doing what they're doing

#139 Edited by DillonShwing (565 posts) -
@sayyy-gaa said:

this generation is a wrap for Nintendo. Doesn't matter what the shareholders want, doesn't matter what Iwata says, doesn't matter what ninty fanboys buy. Wiiu will fail. Time to button down the hatchets and start preparing for next gen. Now might be a good time to reach out to devs and ask what they want on a next gen console?

Asking devs what they want on a next gen console when the real next gen consoles launched 6 months ago seems kinda useless. I called it from the beginning that the Wii U was going to be Nintendo's own Dreamcast. Launching in between gens, no 3rd party support, underpowered compared to the (near future) competition...just a bad idea all around