June is do or die for Iwata and the Wii U

#1 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6641 posts) -

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/01/report-nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-faces-crucial-challenge/

Iwata thinks the Wii U isnt selling because people don't know how fun it is. Investors and shareholders want Ninty to do something with their IPs. Shit aint lookin good

#2 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

So die time?

#3 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (9444 posts) -

#4 Edited by freedomfreak (44536 posts) -

Peach Kingdom Warriors.

#5 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2746 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Never, ever will that happen. Keep dreaming fanboy.

#6 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (9444 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Search your feelings, you know it be true.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (62660 posts) -

lol

#8 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28352 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/01/report-nintendo-president-satoru-iwata-faces-crucial-challenge/

Iwata thinks the Wii U isnt selling because people don't know how fun it is. Investors and shareholders want Ninty to do something with their IPs. Shit aint lookin good

As I have said in the past, be it Nintendo related, or in the case of the idea of MS selling the XBOX brand, a good chunk of investors care nothing about gaming and only care about making money off who they invest, even if the ideas are totally STUPID.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17574 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Peach Kingdom Warriors.

existing IP + existing IP = new IP

so yeah that could work very well. Nintendo should hire you !

#10 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5550 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

lol

#11 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (1141 posts) -
Loading Video...

#12 Posted by jdc6305 (4086 posts) -

Good I like when Nintendo is desperate they should come out swinging at E3. Right now I'm trying to find a reason why I should buy a WiiU over a PS4. I don't care about Imfamous Killzone or anything announced on PS4 as of yet. I'm still playing the shit out of Dark Souls on my PS3. I would like to see a Zelda and Metroid game though and Bayonetta 2 looks great.

#13 Posted by Sword-Demon (7001 posts) -

He'd better make a home-run this E3.

At this point, it doesn't really matter how far the release dates are, they need to show off a lot of high quality titles to let the consumers and investors know that they're not just sitting on their asses like they were for the Wii's last couple of years.

#14 Posted by sailor232 (5218 posts) -

They need to hold a Press conference at E3 first. If they do what they did last year, the WiiU is dead (even more than now).

#15 Edited by DocSanchez (2608 posts) -

Super Mario Cooking Mama

#16 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6431 posts) -

Just fire or demote Iwata already.

#17 Posted by hotdiddykong (2062 posts) -

These investors and share holders really need to fuck off

Going mobile isnt going to do shit

Capcom literally has losses of %51 because of their focus on Mobile

Meanwhile Mario Kart 7 is STILL selling

#18 Posted by resevl4rlz (3308 posts) -

nintendo won't be at e3 they will do another nintendo direct

#19 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93 said:

I second this. He say's the most stupid shit. It's not selling because people don't know how fun the wii u is. So it's the gamers fault they don't buy your crappy system now is it. This guy seems like he is a master at passing the buck.

#20 Edited by silversix_ (16595 posts) -

R.I.P

#21 Edited by hotdiddykong (2062 posts) -

@resevl4rlz:

Technically they WERE at E3, they just didnt have a conference there, otherwise they themselves and the games to demo were technically at E3

#22 Edited by kemar7856 (11523 posts) -

mario party U lol

#23 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

Nobody cares at this point Nintendo is a non factor. It's the same shit oh new mario oh new zelda oh new metriod oh new smash ect ect same graphics but not we have 20 percent more mushrooms or some bs at 720p lmao.

#24 Posted by Kjranu (1324 posts) -

If Mario Kart 8 bombs then it's definitely over for Wii U, quite plainly.

#25 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@Kjranu said:

If Mario Kart 8 bombs then it's definitely over for Wii U, quite plainly.

The wii u has to sell some units don't matter what you bring out if nobody buys your system

#26 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14678 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Gross.

Mario isn't going near with you brodudes.

#27 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6431 posts) -

However, I still have to see what was so damn bad about last E3.

#28 Edited by glez13 (9064 posts) -

Why June?

#29 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28352 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93 said:

The big question is is where will Nintendo go with him gone? Just because a bad leader is off his throne, doesn't mean we won't get another, or worse, even s****ier. You can bet if investors get their way of having him gone, they'll get a CEO that will sell Nintendo out in a heartbeat (full on third party/iOS development, here we come).

#30 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

The big question is is where will Nintendo go with him gone? Just because a bad leader is off his throne, doesn't mean we won't get another. You can bet if investors get their way of having him gone, they'll get a CEO that will sell Nintendo out in a heartbeat.

They would be right. I would put games on pc,and smart phones(driod/iphone).

#31 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6431 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

The big question is is where will Nintendo go with him gone? Just because a bad leader is off his throne, doesn't mean we won't get another. You can bet if investors get their way of having him gone, they'll get a CEO that will sell Nintendo out in a heartbeat.

Smartphones... *Pukes*

#32 Edited by nini200 (10631 posts) -

This album sold millions though. Po Pimp is still a highly regarded classic

#33 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28352 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

You want Nintendo to turn into Square Enix and Capcom, who a good chunk of gamers HATE for their iOS support? Besides, just because YOU want it, doesn't mean it's the best thing for them (or the industry).

#34 Edited by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

:( R.I.P. in peace WiiU

#35 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (1681 posts) -

Nintendo don't seem to know how to handle these changing markets. They got lucky on the Wii, but trying to use the Wii's name in their new console hurt them badly. They also no longer make games with characters or worlds that gamers seem to want to play. They do make cool and innovative tittles but people are sick of the same characters and hand holding that Nintendo seem to be holding on to. Every one of their games treats me like a complete idiot, hand holding every step of the way. I hate that and so do a lot of people who aren't buying Nintendo software. They need to refocus on brand new ideas and games. Not the same old stuff, but new characters new worlds and new stories. How about a few games with some more mature premises? Then along with that Add in a couple of new kid friendly characters and games. They don't diversify enough in their offerings, and it's pushing people away.

#36 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

Smartphones... *Pukes*

Smart phones are the fastest growing market only a fool would ignore it. At the end of the year smartphones with be equal/stronger than the 360/ps3 combo spec wise. To say nothing of blowing the vita and 3ds out the water. So yeah I would take my games to the smartphone market. I know nintendo and sony won't do that cause then why buy a 3ds/vita. They also can't collect royalties either as it's a open platform.

If I was Nintendo I would try to get out in front of the wave before I get crushed by it. You have the ps4/x1 killing you on console and you have the vita and smartphones eating away at the handheld market share.

#37 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

You want Nintendo to turn into Square Enix and Capcom, who a good chunk of gamers HATE for their iOS support? Besides, just because YOU want it, doesn't mean it's the best thing for them (or the industry).

The "industry" is changing you can embrace it or be left behind. Right now Nintendo is waayyy behind and they need to improvise adapt and overcome or they will die. Right now Nintendo is stuck and scared of the current market. They want things to stay like they were in the good old days. They seem clueless about what the internet means and it shows in their products and message.

Then you look at Sony and what they did with the ps4. It has 4k video support with dd/dts 7.2 surround and will get VR support. The ps4 also has a game streaming service in the pipe. Sony also changed consoles with psn plus. It also has strong indie and 3rd party support. Sony also has great 1st party games with the most exclusives. This all from the strongest console at a great price point.

All this did not just happen over night these were choices made with a eye on the future and where gaming is headed. Nintendo IMO is better off as a 3rd party. 3rd parties just make games they don't have to worry about building a platform or online infrastructure.

#38 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28352 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

The "industry" is changing you can embrace it or be left behind. Right now Nintendo is waayyy behind and they need to improvise adapt and overcome or they will die. Right now Nintendo is stuck and scared of the current market. They want things to stay like they were in the good old days. They seem clueless about what the internet means and it shows in their products and message.

Then you look at Sony and what they did with the ps4. It has 4k video support with dd/dts 7.2 surround and will get VR support. The ps4 also has a game streaming service in the pipe. Sony also changed consoles with psn plus. It also has strong indie and 3rd party support. Sony also has great 1st party games with the most exclusives. This all from the strongest console at a great price point.

All this did not just happen over night these were choices made with a eye on the future and where gaming is headed. Nintendo IMO is better off as a 3rd party. 3rd parties just make games they don't have to worry about building a platform or online infrastructure.

And what, you expect people to embrace change even if it sucks? There is good change and there is bad change. And what's going on in the industry is BAD change. DRM, F2P, microtransactions (which, I got good news for your standards, Nintendo is "experimenting with that", it's bad news for me and that is what I want to see blow up in their face), you want Nintendo to embrace all that? All that is what consumers are absolutely hating about the industry today.

#39 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

And what, you expect people to embrace change even if it sucks? There is good change and there is bad change. And what's going on in the industry is BAD change. DRM, F2P, microtransactions (which, I got good news for your standards, Nintendo is "experimenting with that", it's bad news for me and that is what I want to see blow up in their face), you want Nintendo to embrace all that? All that is what consumers are absolutely hating about the industry today.

Do I like some of the changes hell no but it is what it is. If gamers did NOT support microtransactions for example or DRM they would stop doing it. I also hate season passes and day one DLC but seems like I am in the minority. So I have gone mostly pc and have a ps3/4 for the exclusives.

#40 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28352 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Do I like some of the changes hell no but it is what it is. If gamers did NOT support microtransactions for example or DRM they would stop doing it. I also hate season passes and day one DLC but seems like I am in the minority. So I have gone mostly pc and have a ps3/4 for the exclusives.

And yet, if Nintendo makes these changes, you'll "support" them?

#41 Edited by remiks00 (2627 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Search your feelings, you know it be true.

#42 Edited by ConanTheStoner (7846 posts) -

Awesome

I hope they play this while Iwata takes the stage.

Loading Video...

#43 Posted by aroxx_ab (11030 posts) -

Please understand

#44 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7846 posts) -
@nini200 said:

This album sold millions though. Po Pimp is still a highly regarded classic

Damn lol, beat me to it... good work.

#45 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Nintendo has much bigger problems. They need a better platform and more games and more types of games. They also need better online gaming. I look at it like this. You give a better looking woman more chances and a ugly woman has no chance. Nintendo is looking meh. Unless the price is low I won't touch it. Similar to how a meh woman only has a shot if your drunk and she has the knee pads.

Nintendo needs to get sexy and stop with the just for kids stuff.

#46 Edited by MirkoS77 (8604 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

The big question is is where will Nintendo go with him gone? Just because a bad leader is off his throne, doesn't mean we won't get another, or worse, even s****ier. You can bet if investors get their way of having him gone, they'll get a CEO that will sell Nintendo out in a heartbeat (full on third party/iOS development, here we come).

As opposed to quality-of-life--having their resources shifted to something that's not related to gaming at all? That to me defines selling out and is the worst possible outcome. Selling out of games into another area entirely, simply for profit. Thing being, Iwata, through his shortsightedness, stubbornness, cluelessness, and inaction throughout the years has allowed Nintendo to get into the position where mobile gaming is now being heavily pressured by investors, and yet people somehow believe that this man that's led the company to this point will somehow prevent them from executing on this direction he forced by his own incompetence because he's the "ultimate gaming CEO, he is a developer and holds pure gaming values" or some other nonsense.

Iwata and his poor leadership have backed Nintendo into a corner and left it with few options, and that could've been avoided if he knew what he was doing and kept on top of things in the past. But he didn't. He sat on his ass and let Nintendo become complacent to fall so behind. He let it stall.

Personally, I'd prefer to have Nintendo begin to develop on mobile than avert its attention and resources to some non-wearable health oriented fiasco that really has nothing to do with gaming whatsoever. Do you think that if QoL is wildly successful that Nintendo won't radically shift its attention off of games and put the majority of their effort behind it? This is what Iwata wants. He doesn't give a shit about gaming, he cares about profit, and in my eyes he is the definition of a sellout. I want him gone ASAFP, he is a danger to everything Nintendo represents and is seriously damaging the brand.

#47 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28352 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Nintendo has much bigger problems. They need a better platform and more games and more types of games. They also need better online gaming. I look at it like this. You give a better looking woman more chances and a ugly woman has no chance. Nintendo is looking meh. Unless the price is low I won't touch it. Similar to how a meh woman only has a shot if your drunk and she has the knee pads.

Okay, I can give you the better online. But why should they stop the "kids" stuff when those are the kinds of the games they succeed most at, nevermind the fact that their leading three franchises have that appeal (plus some not as, but still fairly popular stuff like Kirby and Donkey Kong)? As long as Mario/Zelda/Pokemon still exist, that will never go away even if they publish more adult games on the side. The only way to get rid of it is to KILL those IP's and even that would cause a s***storm (the loss of three sci-fi IP's, one action-adventure, one racer, and one shooter is bad enough, we don't need anymore controversies).

Besides that, Nintendo appealing to a "hardcore" adult audience almost NEVER worked. The only success was in the N64 era with Rare (and considering the PlayStation's bigger success with that audience, that isn't saying too much). Everything after that fell hard (although I doubt Eternal Darkness would be successful on PS2 and XBOX, considering Silent Hill and Resident Evil were far more popular) and is why Nintendo has since refused to go that far until Bayonetta 2 was announced (and that in itself is not working for them thanks to what happened the DAY it was announced, which was BEFORE the Wii U even released with all the "underpowered" complaints, needless to say, the controversy over THAT game still goes on). Which pretty much gives me a reason to think much of the "hardcore" adult audience NEVER cared for Nintendo in the slightest outside of one developer that no longer works with them.

#48 Posted by emgesp (2592 posts) -

What in the hell could possibly happen from now until June that will make Iwata look good? This is the E3 that makes it, or breaks it for the Wii U. If there isn't Megatons upon Megatons announced at E3 then Iwata might as well take his final bow and retire.

#49 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28352 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

As opposed to quality-of-life--having their resources shifted to something that's not related to gaming at all? That to me defines selling out and is the worst possible outcome. Selling out of games into another area entirely, simply for profit. Thing being, Iwata, through his shortsightedness, stubbornness, cluelessness, and inaction throughout the years has allowed Nintendo to get into the position where mobile gaming is now being heavily pressured by investors, and yet people somehow believe that this man that's led the company to this point will somehow prevent them from executing on this direction he forced by his own incompetence because he's the "ultimate gaming CEO, he is a developer and holds pure gaming values" or some other nonsense.

Iwata and his poor leadership have backed Nintendo into a corner and left it with few options, and that could've been avoided if he knew what he was doing and kept on top of things in the past. But he didn't. He sat on his ass and let Nintendo become complacent to fall so behind. He let it stall.

Personally, I'd prefer to have Nintendo begin to develop on mobile than avert its attention and resources to some non-wearable health oriented fiasco that really has nothing to do with gaming whatsoever. Do you think that if QoL is wildly successful that Nintendo won't radically shift its attention off of games and put the majority of their effort behind it? This is what Iwata wants. He doesn't give a shit about gaming, he cares about profit, and in my eyes he is the definition of a sellout. I want him gone ASAFP, he is a danger to everything Nintendo represents and is seriously damaging the brand.

About QoL: You DO realize that Nintendo has moved from industry to industry, right (Hanafuda Cards, Love Hotels, Toys)? They did all that under the Yamauchi name. I surely won't buy anything related to QoL, but if Nintendo falls back from gaming and goes to that, then so be it (not like gaming's going to go anywhere with them gone, but even if that happens, again, so be it). Let THAT part of history repeat itself, not commit an act that's pretty much asking them to pull corporate suicide. It's better that happens than stay in gaming and go on systems with audiences that just don't care about what Nintendo would bring to their systems (as long as the likes of Activision/Bethesda/Capcom/EA/Square Enix/Ubisoft/Rockstar are still around and as long as there is more appeal for Sony/MS' first/second party offerings) AND the risk of quality going straight to hell.

#50 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3053 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Okay, I can give you the better online. But why should they stop the "kids" stuff when those are the kinds of the games they succeed most at, nevermind the fact that their leading three franchises have that appeal (plus some not as, but still fairly popular stuff like Kirby and Donkey Kong)? As long as Mario/Zelda/Pokemon still exist, that will never go away even if they publish more adult games on the side. The only way to get rid of it is to KILL those IP's and even that would cause a s***storm (the loss of three sci-fi IP's, one action-adventure, one racer, and one shooter is bad enough, we don't need anymore controversies).

Besides that, Nintendo appealing to a "hardcore" adult audience almost NEVER worked. The only success was in the N64 era with Rare (and considering the PlayStation's bigger success with that sudience, that isn't saying too much). Everything after that fell hard (although I doubt Eternal Darkness would be successful on PS2 and XBOX, considering Silent Hill and Resident Evil were far more popular) and is why Nintendo has since refused to go that far until Bayonetta 2 was announced (and that in itself is not working for them thanks to what happened the DAY it was announced, which was BEFORE the Wii U even released with all the "underpowered" complaints, needless to say, the controversy over THAT game still goes on). Which pretty much gives me a reason to think much of the "hardcore" adult audience NEVER cared for Nintendo in the slightest outside of one developer that no longer works with them.

Nintendo never wanted these games to work IMO. They also never gave 3rd party games a fair shot either. Hence most of the content seems made for kids.