Judge declines to rule on Sonys Playstation hack take down demand

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/01/playstation-lawsuit-limbo/

omgomgomgomg discuss?! :o

Judge Declines to Rule on Sony's PlayStation Hack Take Down Demand^

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

I don't see why it matters where it takes place.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

This entire lawsuit by Sony is a joke. The "hacker" is in the clear 100% and its just Sony trying to scare people.

Avatar image for UnknownElement4
UnknownElement4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UnknownElement4
Member since 2008 • 2603 Posts

Sony will so lose this.

yentlequible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 yentlequible
Member since 2009 • 2620 Posts
Already posted...
SwagSurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SwagSurf
Member since 2009 • 3022 Posts

Already posted...yentlequible

Can you provide a link please?

bigboss5ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 bigboss5ak
Member since 2007 • 2962 Posts
Gaming on psn is going to be a disaster soon. Im kinda torn between this because homebrew sounds cool but i wanna support the devs no matter who it is
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ImaPirate0202

Gaming on psn is going to be a disaster soon. Im kinda torn between this because homebrew sounds cool but i wanna support the devs no matter who it isbigboss5ak

doubt it

Metalscarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Metalscarz
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

[QUOTE="bigboss5ak"]Gaming on psn is going to be a disaster soon. Im kinda torn between this because homebrew sounds cool but i wanna support the devs no matter who it isImaPirate0202

doubt it

It already is on MW2.

inbefore MW2 sucks anyway.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ImaPirate0202

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

[QUOTE="bigboss5ak"]Gaming on psn is going to be a disaster soon. Im kinda torn between this because homebrew sounds cool but i wanna support the devs no matter who it isMetalscarz

doubt it

It already is on MW2.

How so?

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Sigh............"great"

Thanks GeoHotz for screwing up the industry even more now.

Thanks for the custom lobbies that will destroy online games.

Thanks.

When's the next Playstation coming out? :|

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

doubt it

Metalscarz

It already is on MW2.

Yeah, MW2 hacking (depending on how you define the word of course lol) has been around for a while for both XBL and PSN.

Metalscarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Metalscarz
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

[QUOTE="Metalscarz"]

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]

doubt it

ImaPirate0202

It already is on MW2.

How so?

AIM bots, modded lobbies that either give you all the unlocks or take them all away, no gravity or low gravity, constant air support, invinsible players, Nuke Timer from the start of the match, slow motion, fast motion, Pretty much anything that used to be possible only on the PC. I only just picked it up last wk, and didn't really believe the comments on the PS3 MW2 Gamefaqs board until I seen it myself.

Fact is though the vast majority of those were possible long before the great PS3 hack. Even the 360 version has had problems but MS is better at keeping mods offline then Sony.

With the ability to sign PS3 code without hardware mods now? ****storm incoming.

Soon even the poorest/dumbest douchbags up for some cheating will be able to run these hacks that already exists without much effort or expensive hardware.

spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

Gaming on psn is going to be a disaster soon. Im kinda torn between this because homebrew sounds cool but i wanna support the devs no matter who it isbigboss5ak
XBL isn't a disaster so why would PSN be?

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I don't doubt this judge has reservations about ruling in either direction, it's a big issue that needs to be handled with care. Either way some changes are going to happen from this.
dvalo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dvalo9
Member since 2010 • 1301 Posts
does he realise he is crippling the gaming industry?weather you like sony or not, stuff like this never a good thing for honest gamers.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Sony's argument is weak, even their "it must be done in California" argument.

does he realise he is crippling the gaming industry?weather you like sony or not, stuff like this never a good thing for honest gamers.dvalo9

Sony fans are so uninformed. He's arguing for anybody's right to do what we please with the stuff we own, not for piracy.

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

Sony just needs to step up and turn on the ban hammer, like MS has been doing from the start

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
If people want to hack or jailbreak their devices then let them. We the consumer buy the machine. All that Sony has to do is ban people from online play if they cheat.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/01/playstation-lawsuit-limbo/

omgomgomgomg discuss?! :o

Judge Declines to Rule on Sony's PlayStation Hack Take Down Demand^

SwagSurf
Sony's lawsuit is gong to get thrown out and pirating gamers are going to rejoice across the globe. lol!! I don't see Sony having a case here, but we'll see what happens.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I'm still hoping Sony wins this.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 themyth01

ChubbyGuy40

Maybe they should move to other products such as cars, etc.. where you couldn't really modify them because it's not intended by the manufacturers. After all modifying a car is more dangerous, they shouldn't even allow you to open the hood.

austi722

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 austi722
Member since 2009 • 452 Posts
The month after MW2 was released I ended up in a hacked match. Everyone speed was at max but everything else the hacker let stay normal.
caughtjoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 caughtjoo
Member since 2009 • 975 Posts
If you purchase a device, it should be your device to use are you please. The Jail braking case showed this, and I hope Sony gets this shoved back in their face. If you want to go after the pirates, do it. I don't have any respect for them. You should have no right to enforce what people can and cannot do with their hardware though.
Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

The month after MW2 was released I ended up in a hacked match. Everyone speed was at max but everything else the hacker let stay normal.austi722

Same happened to me. It wasn't a month after release, but it was well before all of the geohot drama.

The guy said that people pay him to run MW2 matches so that they can unlock all of their stuff. I don't know what motivates someone to pay to cheat at a game so that they can get fake achievements. They definitely have a few psychological disorders.

piis3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 piis3
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts
Maybe they should be to other products such as cars, etc.. where you couldn't really modify them because it's not intended by the manufacturers. After all modifying a car is more dangerous, they shouldn't even allow you to open the hood. themyth01
Why does every thread on everything need an inappropriate / irrelevant car related analogy?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

themyth01

Maybe they should be to other products such as cars, etc.. where you couldn't really modify them because it's not intended by the manufacturers. After all modifying a car is more dangerous, they shouldn't even allow you to open the hood.

Except a car isn't a digital product that has its own software. Thats not a good analogy. Plus manufactorers love for you to mod cars. More money for them and their partners.

All I'm saying is that theres no need for this hack and I see it doing more harm than good, for everybody. This is only going to open the door for piracy. It happens on every, damn, console once they get root access. Even if it wasn't his intent, he knows its gonna happen. He and that other group could've stopped this but they decide to go ahead and release their work. You bought a PS3 for Blu-Ray capabilities, games, and the other programs Sony included. Theres no need for anything this hack might bring forth when it can all be done on a PC.

N3xus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 N3xus9
Member since 2004 • 566 Posts

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

ChubbyGuy40

Maybe they should be to other products such as cars, etc.. where you couldn't really modify them because it's not intended by the manufacturers. After all modifying a car is more dangerous, they shouldn't even allow you to open the hood.

Except a car isn't a digital product that has its own software. Thats not a good analogy. Plus manufactorers love for you to mod cars. More money for them and their partners.

All I'm saying is that theres no need for this hack and I see it doing more harm than good, for everybody. This is only going to open the door for piracy. It happens on every, damn, console once they get root access. Even if it wasn't his intent, he knows its gonna happen. He and that other group could've stopped this but they decide to go ahead and release their work. You bought a PS3 for Blu-Ray capabilities, games, and the other programs Sony included. Theres no need for anything this hack might bring forth when it can all be done on a PC.

Bluray and gaming can be done on the PC, why have a console at all?

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 themyth01

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"] [QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

ChubbyGuy40

Is that supposed to be a joke? a Car is running millions of programs at any time when it's on. And yes, the PS3 hack will probably cause more PS3 sales, more sales for Sony.

There are many things that are not needed but we still want them, doesn't make it any less relevant since most things are not really necessary including the entire system. If he wants to run Linux on his PS3 and he found a way then he should be able to do it. It's his PS3, he should be able to destroy it if he so pleases. The consequences don't underlie the basic core of the issue, which revolves about doing what we want with the products we own.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"] Maybe they should be to other products such as cars, etc.. where you couldn't really modify them because it's not intended by the manufacturers. After all modifying a car is more dangerous, they shouldn't even allow you to open the hood. themyth01

Is that supposed to be a joke? a Car is running millions of programs at any time when it's on. And yes, the PS3 hack will probably cause more PS3 sales, more sales for Sony.

There are many things that are not needed but we still want them, doesn't make it any less relevant since most things are not really necessary including the entire system. If he wants to run Linux on his PS3 and he found a way then he should be able to do it. It's his PS3, he should be able to destroy it if he so pleases. The consequences don't underlie the basic core of the issue, which revolves about doing what we want with the products we own.

Using that same logic, pirates should be able to run illegal games on their PS3. After all, they own the PS3.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 themyth01

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

hakanakumono

Using that same logic, pirates should be able to run illegal games on their PS3. After all, they own the PS3.

I don't follow your logic. They own the PS3 but they don't own the game, so why should they be able to run pirated copies?
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ChubbyGuy40

themyth01

No it wasn't a joke. If Sony somehow sees more sales for this, the developers see less. Whats the point in making a console if you don't have developers behind it?

He should be able to do as he pleases. Though thanks to his actions in releasing the tools the community WILL suffer for it. There was nothing wrong with him hacking the PS3 for his own personal benefit since thats what drives hackers. However there was still no need to release the tools. If you really need these offerings the hack is said to bring forth, theres a much easier way to do so that doesn't require a company hounding you and hurting the community.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"] Is that supposed to be a joke? a Car is running millions of programs at any time when it's on. And yes, the PS3 hack will probably cause more PS3 sales, more sales for Sony.

themyth01

I don't follow your logic. They own the PS3 but they don't own the game, so why should they be able to run pirated copies?

Your logic was that if he owns it he should be able to do whatever he wants with it. I don't think that logic holds up.

Anyways, this isn't about his individual decision to modify his own PS3 in the privacy of his home. If he simply announced that he hacked his PS3, there would be no lawsuit. This is about his decision to publish information on how to bypass copyright protection.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

I don't think it matters if Sony wins or loses. The codes are out. And people are making custom firmwares as we speak. If Sony wins, this'll just encourage the hackers and home brew makers to speed up their efforts.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 themyth01

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

ChubbyGuy40

No it wasn't a joke. If Sony somehow sees more sales for this, the developers see less. Whats the point in making a console if you don't have developers behind it?

He should be able to do as he pleases. Though thanks to his actions in releasing the tools the community WILL suffer for it. There was nothing wrong with him hacking the PS3 for his own personal benefit since thats what drives hackers. However there was still no need to release the tools. If you really need these offerings the hack is said to bring forth, theres a much easier way to do so that doesn't require a company hounding you and hurting the community.

It's funny you mention developers, but then why not check developers' opinions on this issue, a good website that has lifetime software developers is arstechnicaand another with gaming in mind is gamasutra. Most developers seem to favor the hacker.

I see a healthy industry when I see the 360 and Wii, developers are making money and keep making games for these platforms. So why then is it all bad now that it happened to Sony? the only reason it's any worse is due entirely to Sony's own error. I said it before, the consequences should not remove our right to do what we want with the items we own, especially when the severity of those is a company error.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 themyth01

[QUOTE="themyth01"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

Your logic was that if he owns it he should be able to do whatever he wants with it. I don't think that logic holds up.

Anyways, this isn't about his individual decision to modify his own PS3 in the privacy of his home. If he simply announced that he hacked his PS3, there would be no lawsuit. This is about his decision to publish information on how to bypass copyright protection.

How does it not hold up? should a company tell you what you can do with your TV? toothbrush? clothes? do you really want companies to tell you how you can use what you own? how does that even hold up?

He shared his knowledge, sharing knowledge is still legal. He did it so if somebody else who also owns a PS3 and wants to run Linux or other homebrew software on it can do so.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"] I don't follow your logic. They own the PS3 but they don't own the game, so why should they be able to run pirated copies? themyth01

How does it not hold up? should a company tell you what you can do with your TV? toothbrush? clothes? do you really want companies to tell you how you can use what you own? how does that even hold up?

He shared his knowledge, sharing knowledge is still legal. He did it so if somebody else who also owns a PS3 and wants to run Linux or other homebrew software on it can do so.

Those don't have anything to do with copyright material.

The knowledge that he shared was not legal for him to share. It doesn't matter why he did it, as long as he did it with the knowledge that it would be used to bypass copyright protections in place to deter piracy.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

themyth01

It's funny you mention developers, but then why not check developers' opinions on this issue, a good website that has lifetime software developers is arstechnicaand another with gaming in mind is gamasutra. Most developers seem to favor the hacker.

I see a healthy industry when I see the 360 and Wii, developers are making money and keep making games for these platforms. So why then is it all bad now that it happened to Sony? the only reason it's any worse is due entirely to Sony's own error. I said it before, the consequences should not remove our right to do what we want with the items we own, especially when the severity of those is a company error.

It was explained on this board that piracy has contributed to developer cutbacks and firings.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 themyth01

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

The knowledge that he shared was not legal for him to share. It doesn't matter why he did it, as long as he did it with the knowledge that it would be used to bypass copyright protections in place to deter piracy.

They do, TVs and other electronics do, as well as the design of many non-electronic items.

It's not for you to decide the legality of his actions, that's what a judge will decide. He shared knowledge to do something legal, not to do something illegal. Personally I see nothing wrong with sharing of knowledge but we shall see how it's deem by the judge.

themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themyth01

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

hakanakumono

It was explained on this board that piracy has contributed to developer cutbacks and firings.

Piracy has been blamed for many things and yet this case is not even about piracy. The xbox360 and Wii have survived and succeeded with it however.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

themyth01

They do, TVs and other electronics do, as well as the design of many non-electronic items.

It's not for you to decide the legality of his actions, that's what a judge will decide. He shared knowledge to do something legal, not to do something illegal. Personally I see nothing wrong with sharing of knowledge but we shall see how it's deem by the judge.

They are not systems that playback copyrighted material.

We are both entitled to our interpretation of the law, which is what we are both doing. The knowledge he shared was knowledge to do something illegal.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hakanakumono

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="themyth01"]

themyth01

Piracy has been blamed for many things and yet this case is not even about piracy. The xbox360 and Wii have survived and succeeded with it however.

This case is about piracy.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

The consequences don't underlie the basic core of the issue, which revolves about doing what we want with the products we own.

themyth01

Since everyone seems to love dealing in hyperbolic analogies, presumably I should be allowed to shoot a bunch of people after buying a gun, mow down pedestrians with my car and purchase a bunch of thermite to turn into a bomb.