jRPG or wRPG: Which style you enjoy more when done well?

• 104 results
Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll jRPG or wRPG: Which style you enjoy more when done well? (100 votes)

wRPG 60%
jRPG 40%

The Elder Scrolls, Dark Souls, Dragon Age, Shadow of Mordor, etc.. or Final Fantasy, Persona, Chrono Trigger, Pokemon, etc..

If you're on the fence, imagine if you're offered one new critically acclaimed AAA title from each sub-genre, which of the two you feel you'd pick and play first?

P.S. Sorry about my example for jRPGs, I just picked the ones I hear about the most (not knowledgeable in the genre), but you get the point, they're just examples and your choice should not necessarily be based on them.

• 
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

JRPGs. There are some good WRPGs out there, but most of them are overly simplistic and boring.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2  Edited By polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

@undefined:

Wrpgs for sure, like wow, the Witcher.

I do love turn based rpgs though, like pokemon, dragon quest, old schoool final fantasy, south park stick of truth. Mario and luigi, papermario.

Do those count as jrpgs?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

@undefined:

Wrpgs for sure.

I do love turn based rpgs though, like pokemon, dragon quest, old schoool final fantasy, south park stick of truth. Mario and luigi, papermario.

Do those count as jrpgs?

I'd call them all JRPGs.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Jrpgs are like old relics desperately trying to hold on to tradition.

Edit: I still like Persona though.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

WRPG by a mile.

Deus Ex, Morrowind, Baldurs Gate 1-2, Fallout 1-2, Dragon Age, New Vegas, PlaneScape, Diablo 2, Divinity, Dark/Demon Souls, KOTOR.......jesus.

Hell, Deus Ex and Fallout ALONE stomp the entire JRPG sub-genre.

OmegaTau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OmegaTau
Member since 2007 • 908 Posts

jrpg

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

I can remember far more great JRPGs than I can WRPGs.

Current WRPGs tend to be a bit samely.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Shadows of Mordor is an RPG?

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By -God-

@Slashkice said:

Dark Souls is a JRPG.

The OP made it clear that he refers to sub-genres when mentioning wrpg/jrpg, not development location. The term can be used for both.

So Dark Souls goes into wrpg category in this thread.

If you disagree, make another thread pitting game development location rather than sub-genre.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Well I'm currently very interested in FFXV and not so much The Witcher 3... so I guess I'll vote JRPGs. Thing is, depending on what mood I'm in I'll rather one or the other. It can change from one month to the next.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

JRPGs.

And yes Demon's Souls and Dark's Souls are JRPGs.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

WRPGs by a huuuuuuuge margin.

Those are the games that by having my own customized customized character, where my interaction with the world is determined by me, has me deeply immersed in the world. And through that game design where the character is essentially an extension of myself, I feel like I'm actually role playing.

And Extra Credits did a fantastic exploration on the topic:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

JRPGs imo. I do love a few WRPGs though.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

WRPG's without a doubt. I love Final Fantasy though, even 13, yes, even 13.

I always prefer the combat in WRPG's. JRPG's are almost like fighting games the combat is so frenetic and almost thoughtless. The exception to this is turn-based games obviously, but hardly anyone does these anymore, more is the pity.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By -God-

@ianhh6 said:

Well I'm currently very interested in FFXV and not so much The Witcher 3... so I guess I'll vote JRPGs. Thing is, depending on what mood I'm in I'll rather one or the other. It can change from one month to the next.

JRPG/WRPG were classically defined by mechanics...not country of location.

That whole location thing was started by new age gamers. (COD kids)

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

By JRPG, what you mean - an RPG made in Japan or old school JRPG's turn based gameplay? If the latter, then Dark Souls in not a JRPG.

And yeh, wrpg any day.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Catalli  Moderator

@-God- said:

@ianhh6 said:

I... never based anything on location :/ If you're referring to my classifying FFXV as a JRPG then yeah, because of its art style, world, characters and plot (what we've seen of it but I'm willing to bet it's Japanese AF) I'm calling it a JRPG even if it isn't turn-based.

I mean yeah, I'm an atheist, but cut me some slack sheesh :p

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

I really like the oldschool turn-based JRPGs the most but since JRPG moved away of that gameplay mechanics im into WRPGs far more.

Captainqwark10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Captainqwark10
Member since 2011 • 1170 Posts

@Slashkice said:

Dark Souls is a JRPG.

Anyways, I'm more likely to gravitate towards a good JRPG than a good WRPG. I've only enjoyed a handful of the latter.

If you're using the original meanings of the terms than Dark Souls is not a Jrpg. But of course people are just applying them to what they want.

@-God- said:

@ianhh6 said:

Were they? Because you would think the COD kids would split it even more on mechanics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

That's actually a hard one for me as I love both JRPGs and WRPGs equally. Personally, I really like Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and the Elder Scrolls series, (even though some people here say they lack a lot of depth which I can understand) Deus Ex: HR was a fun go around for me, etc. I feel for me at least WRPGs while still having some issues with creating great characters and stories, they usually have good characterization and story lines, but sometimes the gameplay is also very lacking.

JRPGs on the other hand, like Dark Souls, Paper Mario, Earthbound, Persona, etc. usually have great combat/gameplay (though some do lack a lot as well :P). Their stories sometimes and characters as well lack a lot of uniqueness and personality. Not that WRPGs are masters at that either, but still. :P

I guess if I were to pick which I would play being handed one, I would probably be JRPG (unless it was a WRPG series I love).

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Catalli  Moderator

@Captainqwark10 said:

Were they? Because you would think the COD kids would split it even more on mechanics.

Really? I'd think they'd argue whatever suits them best at any given moment, with not a second of consideration, sorta like you've already said.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

If the game is done well? JRPG

I_Even_Lift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 I_Even_Lift
Member since 2013 • 89 Posts

I'm not a big fan of either anymore. In their heyday like gens 4 and 5 JRPGs were just amazing. These days it's slim pickings for quality on either side. I only really get hyped for Souls games and those fall in a weird grey area between the two.

kalipekona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kalipekona
Member since 2003 • 2492 Posts

@-God- said:

WRPG by a mile.

Deus Ex, Morrowind, Baldurs Gate 1-2, Fallout 1-2, Dragon Age, New Vegas, PlaneScape, Diablo 2, Divinity, Dark/Demon Souls, KOTOR.......jesus.

Hell, Deus Ex and Fallout ALONE stomp the entire JRPG sub-genre.

For sure. It takes a very extraordinary JRPG to get my attention at all. I love WRPGs though.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I'm not big on the genre in general, but I'd rather give a wrpg a chance over a jrpg. With that said, my top three favorite rpgs are jrpgs: Pokemon R/B/Y, Chrono Trigger, and Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19497 Posts
@-God- said:
@Slashkice said:

Dark Souls is a JRPG.

The OP made it clear that he refers to sub-genres when mentioning wrpg/jrpg, not development location. The term can be used for both.

If you disagree, make another thread pitting game development location rather than sub-genre.

"JRPG" and "WRPG" are just slang words, not "sub-genres". The actual RPG sub-genres are turn-based RPG, action RPG, tactical RPG, dungeon crawler, MMO, roguelike, role-playing shooter, etc. And like most slang words, there is no clear definition of what "JRPG" and "WRPG" are supposed to mean, with almost every fan just making up their own definitions. These slang words have about as many different meanings as the F-word.

Even if we were to make futile attempts at trying to inaccurately define "JRPG" and "WRPG" as so-called "sub-genres", it would make far more sense to classify Dark Souls as a "JRPG"... Its gameplay belongs to the same Japanese school of action-RPG design as the likes of Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden, etc. Demon's Souls was originally exclusive to the Japanese market, targeting that demographic (but was overshadowed by Monster Hunter clones). It wasn't until Atlus USA took a gamble on Demon's Souls and released it Westside that it became unexpectedly popular in the West, even though it was originally targeted towards a Japanese audience.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

For the ignorant people in this thread: Jrpg - JAPANESSE, Wrpg- WESTERN

DARK SOULS IS A JRPG, period.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@-God- said:
@Slashkice said:

Dark Souls is a JRPG.

"JRPG" and "WRPG" are just slang words, not "sub-genres". The actual RPG sub-genres are turn-based RPG, action RPG, tactical RPG, dungeon crawler, MMO, roguelike, role-playing shooter, etc. And like most slang words, there is no clear definition of what "JRPG" and "WRPG" are supposed to mean, with almost every fan just making up their own definitions. These slang words have about as many different meanings as the F-word.

Even if we were to make futile attempts at trying to inaccurately define "JRPG" and "WRPG" as so-called "sub-genres", it would make far more sense to classify Dark Souls as a "JRPG"... Its gameplay belongs to the same Japanese school of action-RPG design as the likes of Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden, etc. Demon's Souls was originally exclusive to the Japanese market, targeting that demographic (but was overshadowed by Monster Hunter clones). It wasn't until Atlus USA took a gamble on Demon's Souls and released it Westside that it became unexpectedly popular in the West, even though it was originally targeted towards a Japanese audience.

Spiky-haired very young teens typically including young girls with enormous 'assets' a typical coming of age while saving the world plot a painfully generic anime artistic style with characters and environments that lack detail incredibly hectic mindless combat which has replaced turn based in recent years yes I think it's safe to say we all know what to expect from a typical JRPG these days as opposed to WRPG's.

There is a HUGE difference. Obviously some titles blur the lines but yeah I can see a hell of a difference between Skyrim as an i.e. and just about any Tales or FF game.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@I_Even_Lift said:

I'm not a big fan of either anymore. In their heyday like gens 4 and 5 JRPGs were just amazing. These days it's slim pickings for quality on either side. I only really get hyped for Souls games and those fall in a weird grey area between the two.

There is no "grey" area Souls is 100% created and developed by a Japanese team located in Japan. PC fanboys and people who hate to give credit to anything japense simply want to lable it a WRPG because it's better than any WRPG attempting the same setting.

It's hillarious to see anyone suggest that the Souls games aren't JRPGs because of it's setting and action play style because if that's the case neither is FFXV, same would apply to Dragon Heoros...the list really goes on.

The truth is the Souls game are so much better than any of the real WRPG's they could list, it hurts their argument so they try and disqualify it from very beginning.

FFXV is even more (for the classification objectors are trying to use) of an WRPG than Souls/Bloodborne but you don't see it being thrown in the WRPG lists here because they don't think it helps their argument

Oh look, open world action rpg (same as TW3)...so why isn't this call a WRPG too? It's a WRPG right?

Oh look, action rpg set in mid-evil environment, and look they have armor, it's also action, not turn based..must be a WRPG right? GOTTA BE A WRPG...I MEAN, LOOK AT THAT ARMOR AND CASTLE IN THE BACKGROUND!!!

lol desperate hermits and Japanese hating pricks can't have it both ways. So a game is a JRPG can't be action based, have a mid evil setting or be in an open world? So desperate, those are the arguments we hear when a Japanese dev creates a game that craps on WRPGs using the same framework. Case in point, they claim the Souls series but not Dragon Heroes.

gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts

I find that Wrpg's tend to be a bit more unique as far as plot and gameplay elements go (Deus Ex, Fallout, Witcher).

JRPG's tend to have better battle systems and a larger focus on characterization (at least for party members).

Good jrpg's tend to have better musical scores imo also.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

@AdobeArtist:

That was a really well done analysis. Also, interesting videos on that youtube channel. Thanks for sharing!

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

JRPGs

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

@ianhh6:

You're actually right. It's definitely a mood thing for me as well when it comes to genres. I wouldn't mind picking up and trying a new JRPG over WRPG if it had good voice acting (no text).

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Catalli  Moderator

@gamefan67 said:

Good jrpg's tend to have better musical scores imo also.

Dear God, the music... I fall in love every time.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

Well... I don't think a WRPG has ever cracked my top 10 list so...

Lately, both genres have been pretty disappointing.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -God-

just as I thought the superior wrpg winning the poll

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#39 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19497 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

@Jag85 said:
@-God- said:
@Slashkice said:

Dark Souls is a JRPG.

Spiky-haired very young teens typically including young girls with enormous 'assets' a typical coming of age while saving the world plot a painfully generic anime artistic style with characters and environments that lack detail incredibly hectic mindless combat which has replaced turn based in recent years yes I think it's safe to say we all know what to expect from a typical JRPG these days as opposed to WRPG's.

There is a HUGE difference. Obviously some titles blur the lines but yeah I can see a hell of a difference between Skyrim as an i.e. and just about any Tales or FF game.

Just replace the "Spiky-haired very young teens" with "Beefy 30-something bro-dudes on steroids", replace the "young girls" with "naked young women you can shag", and remove the "coming of age" part... and what you've got now is a "typical" WRPG.

...Yeah, that must be the "huge" difference between Monster Hunter and just about any BioWare or Witcher game.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Why not both?

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

My favourite game is New Vegas and my favourite series is Pokemon.

Hopefully that answers your question.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By -God-

@Jag85 said:

Just replace the "Spiky-haired very young teens" with "Beefy 30-something bro-dudes on steroids", replace the "young girls" with "naked young women you can shag", and remove the "coming of age" part... and what you've got now is a "typical" WRPG.

...Yeah, that must be the "huge" difference between Monster Hunter and just about any BioWare or Witcher game.

WRPG are usually known for some form of character creation so I'm nost sure how you concluded "beefy bro-dude".

And if you're referring to Geralt...he's not a bro-dude he has long hair and is old lol....

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

Neither genres interest me.

But if I had to choose, WRPGs........I don't like turn-based combat.....and most WRPGs tend to be action oriented. Witcher 2, Fallout games, are examples.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

Honestly way too hard to answer. I love!!! The Mass Effect Trilogy, and like Dragon Age, Fallout, Witcher and so forth. But I do Love a good jrpg too. They are tied in my opinion and both offer similar but yet different experiences.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#45 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Any game within a genre that is executed well is a treat to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I like both but JRPGs, I guess. Also, Dark Souls is a JRPG. I don't know any WRPGs that play like Dark Souls but I know plenty of JRPGs like Faxanadu, Terranigma, Sword of Mana, etc. Dark Souls is just a 3D version of those games.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

wRPGs easily. I like the freedom and ability to shape the story

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

lol JRPGs. I don't know why people even call them games. fucking ATB. I mean WTF!!!

WRPGs all the way.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#49 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

wRPGs by far; Witcher, Deus Ex, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Divinity: OS, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age and so on.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#50 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Neither really interest me