John Carmack cautious over Sony VR (No high expectation)

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

He's just saying its a lot easier on the PC to have control over the frame rate in out games. Having any game play at 60 frames or more is rather easy on the PC, you just need the right hardware. On consoles its not as simple.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Of course he isn't going to praise it, he is a tech lead for oculus rift which is in direct competition to sonys vr headset.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Duh, consoles are inferior. Early reviews already state Rift is superior from most users.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Of course he's right. 900pStation has trouble running games in 900p@30fps. How they going to render two displays at native 1080p with 60fps? I expect SubHD for Sony VR instead of 1080p.

Avatar image for highking_kallor
highking_kallor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 highking_kallor
Member since 2014 • 594 Posts

@super600 said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: people bought kinect last gen thinking it would be revolutionary, gaming is about change and evolving not always using a controller but giving different experiences and making gaming unique, whether it works or not or you like it or not it's unique and some people do.

The difference between kinect amd Project Morpheus is that Project Morpheus will probably cost two times more tham kinect which will put it outside the market that bought the kinect most likely.

Another day, another time traveler. Do you get a good discount?

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

John carmack is jealousss because oculus rift don't get enough fund ...lol

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#57 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@CroidX said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

well some cows think the VR from sony is going sell well and be successful

@slim70 said:

I hope MS stays away from this I think that this will be just another failed Sony adventure.

@seanmcloughlin said:

Well Oculus Rift could have gone to consoles if the developers of it allowed it to. But they specifically said the consoles were too limited for what they wanted to do. So they're right to not expect too much. People expecting a really high end solution on a PS4 are gonna be left disappointed, the hardware just isn't there for what the Rift can pull off on a PC

I'm sure it will be a decent solution to VR but it won't have that wow factor the Rift will have when fully released.

I agree

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

I'm cautious on VR Sets in general not just Sony's... Hopefully these won't be too expensive or else offer only 'casual' titles !!!

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@treedoor: actually both the rift and Sony's set only use one 1080p screen that delivers a 960x1080 image to each eye. It's not the rendering that will drain resources so much, it's tracking the headset's position 1000 times a second.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

I cannot believe some people in here are so stupid that they cannot understand what he is saying, i am sorry, but it's obvious to anyone with half a brain that the Rift will offer a better experience on a high end PC than morpheus offer on the PS4 which is essentially a MID RANGE PC.

Anyone whos ays he is wrong has got there head stuck up there backside, it's obvious the Ps4's hardware limitations will come into play,lol

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 delta3074

@Solid_Max13 said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: people bought kinect last gen thinking it would be revolutionary, gaming is about change and evolving not always using a controller but giving different experiences and making gaming unique, whether it works or not or you like it or not it's unique and some people do.

righteous post dude, i been trying to tell people that for ages, i went from keyboard to Joystick to mouse and keyboard then controller, gaming evolves and people may not like it but it's a good thing for the industry

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

yay another gimmick that will give me headaches.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

The VR headset will be a must-have for survival horror fans at best. But for gaming in general, it probably won't be the next big thing.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Of course the developer behind one project wouldn't have a overly positive opinion about direct competition.

o0squishy0o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 o0squishy0o
Member since 2007 • 2802 Posts

From what I have heard it is fairly equal. The rift has some better features I think I've heard, but Sony's display is meant to be more crisp as with the Rift you can still see the pixels.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Carmack spent all gen last gen talking shit about SONY. He's never been right about anything.

Also stating the obvious there.... PS4 wont be as good cuz its not a high end PC, well tell us something we didnt already know.

JC was correct for AMD PRT hardware inclusion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@CroidX said:

http://www.play.tm/news/125429044/john-carmack-cautious-over-sonys-new-vr-headset/

Oculus Rift chief technical officer John Carmack has advised folks not to expect too much from Sony's Project Morpheus VR headset.

Carmack explained that while the PS4 is capable of running a decent VR experience at 30fps it's not quite the same experience as a high-end PC can deliver on Oculus Rift.

He said on Twitter, “Calibrate PS4 VR expectations: a game that ran 60 fps on PS3 could be done in VR (stereo 1080 MSAA low latency 60 fps) on PS4. That wasn’t sniping; I think PS4 is a great platform, sufficient to drive VR. People just need to understand the demands.”

A game that can run 60fps on ps3 hmm anyone that can list some lol

The dude was just salty,and he work for the other team so what people expect him to say is better than our.?

Even more when many journalist saying is as good or better than Oculus rift DK2...

Any person who owns a GPU weaker than the PS4 will have a worse experience with Oculus rift,and those are the majority sadly on PC,hell VR wasn't about huge graphics i can get that sh** on my monitor and save the money,VR is about immersion in that regard who knows what sony can cook.

I am not very hyped for this because i don't like hardware that only a few games will take advantage off,and i owned a virtual boy,now if it was like that i would jump because all game for took advantage of the hardware,but something for 2 or 4 games na i don't like that.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
@super600 said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

The difference between kinect amd Project Morpheus is that Project Morpheus will probably cost two times more tham kinect which will put it outside the market that bought the kinect most likely.

Did you see the demo of Morpheus.? The person playing could accurately grab a hand of dummy and cut it off by using move,the accurate was way more precise than anything i have ever saw in kinect,not only that you try to do that on Kinect without buttons.

Kinect was doom to failure it was nothing but a glorified eye toy with depth perception,the technology was even offer to sony and they didn't want it,in the end Kinect was bound by the eye toy same limitations,even that it had depth perception.

VR is about an immersion the experience is different,and i am not cheer leading for Morpheus i already say that i don't like tech that take advantage of just few games.

@delta3074

I cannot believe some people in here are so stupid that they cannot understand what he is saying, i am sorry, but it's obvious to anyone with half a brain that the Rift will offer a better experience on a high end PC than morpheus offer on the PS4 which is essentially a MID RANGE PC.

Anyone whos ays he is wrong has got there head stuck up there backside, it's obvious the Ps4's hardware limitations will come into play,lol

Which is a joke because VR isn't about graphics is about immersion,is about you feeling that you are in the game,not about TEH PRETTY GRAPHICS,if i wanted that i would stick to a regular PC and monitor,Virtual Reality dahhh..

Oh and funny to find you here again downplaying the PS4 and Morpheus again,funny enough it has been tested and work just as great as Oculus Rift and some claim even better,oh and the design as well is great and can even be play with glasses without problem.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@notrolling said:

Carmack scared of Cerny's engineering prowess.

Cerny's working on Sony's VR?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#70 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Remember that right now the consoles are more equal to PC in power then they will be in the next 5-10 years (whenever next gen releases). The gap will just get bigger and bigger. When Oculus releases a display with say twice the resolution in a couple of years, Sony can do nothing to answer.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

@xboxdone74 said:

VR's a gimmick. Was attempted in the 90's. Failed. this and occulus rift will come and go. like 3d tvs...nobody wants to wear something on their head.

This.

Both suck and anyone who is buying is basically a beta tester for this stuff. I'm sure the technology will improve but as of right now it looks like a shameless gimmick. I guess in order to see progress, you have to step forward, right?

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Carmack spent all gen last gen talking shit about SONY. He's never been right about anything.

Also stating the obvious there.... PS4 wont be as good cuz its not a high end PC, well tell us something we didnt already know.

salty over rage...maybe

jimmarko21876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 jimmarko21876
Member since 2004 • 429 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

yay another gimmick that will give me headaches.

Was the other gimmick a razor and shaving cream? J/K :)

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 delta3074

@Nengo_Flow said:

yet he said the PS3 was marginally more powerful than the xbox, way to trash the Ps3 eh.

Muppet.

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

lol Look at you guys acting if he's trashing the Sony VR when John Carmack clearly has a point. Cows seem to be riding the bandwagon again thinking somehow its going do well. Sony VR won't be able to be used for most of your games unlike the one from Oculus Rift.

I guess cows are going discredit John Carmack now. If the OR is going to bomb what makes Sony VR any better when its even more limited. A least you can buy hardware that is capable of playing more demanding games with the OR VR yet with Sony VR your stuck with whatever games can run well with it. And based on what John Carmack don't get your hopes up with games you want to use with it.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 delta3074

@tormentos said:
@super600 said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

Did you see the demo of Morpheus.? The person playing could accurately grab a hand of dummy and cut it off by using move,the accurate was way more precise than anything i have ever saw in kinect,not only that you try to do that on Kinect without buttons.

Kinect was doom to failure it was nothing but a glorified eye toy with depth perception,the technology was even offer to sony and they didn't want it,in the end Kinect was bound by the eye toy same limitations,even that it had depth perception.

VR is about an immersion the experience is different,and i am not cheer leading for Morpheus i already say that i don't like tech that take advantage of just few games.

@delta3074

Which is a joke because VR isn't about graphics is about immersion,is about you feeling that you are in the game,not about TEH PRETTY GRAPHICS,if i wanted that i would stick to a regular PC and monitor,Virtual Reality dahhh..

Oh and funny to find you here again downplaying the PS4 and Morpheus again,funny enough it has been tested and work just as great as Oculus Rift and some claim even better,oh and the design as well is great and can even be play with glasses without problem.

'It's not all virtual reality rainbows and dreams, of course. There are still some pretty major issues to overcome in Project Morpheus. Vision blur, for instance, is a much bigger problem on Morpheus than on Crystal Cove/Rift DK2. The screen resolution is also clearly not as high as DK2, making everything a bit muddier, visually speaking. Right now, well ahead of launch (Sony's not even talking about what the final product will be just yet, nonetheless giving it a launch window), Project Morpheus is both extremely promising and clearly not ready for prime time. But it's close!'

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/19/project-morpheus-hands-on/

So, lets recap, Vision blur=OR wins, screen resolution=OR wins.

Whatt where you saying about it being Better than the Rift?

Also, gaming journalists vs John Carmack=GTFO

I am not downplaying morpheus, i am sure it will be good VR experience for console gamers, just saying that it's not as good as the Rift and with the OR team targeting 1440 resolution and 90fps with there next kit Morpheus is going to be left in the dust By the Rift.

Quit with the cow logic that anybody who speaks badly of SONY products, even when they are telling the truth, is somehow Anti-SONY pro MS, it's a stupid way to damage control.

'bu-bu-bu your word cannot trusted because you iz biased towards MS'

'You iz only hating on it cos you iz a lemming'

Totally lame dude, in the extreme

Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Venom951
Member since 2012 • 389 Posts

@CroidX: Microsoft also has a VR Headset so it will be cool to see all these VR headsets go Head to Head I smell another Blu ray Vs HD DVD war coming

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

John Carmack is captain obvious...

I would laugh if Sony opened their tech up to the PC market and it ended up being cheaper and better than his.

Netherscourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Netherscourge
Member since 2003 • 16364 Posts

I am totally shocked that an Occulus Rift producer is not impressed by Sony's VR.

I don't know how I'll ever be able to understand this...

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By santoron

@delta3074: despite Endgadget's claim to the contrary, both the new OR and Sony's headset have been confirmed at 1080p. That is they each use a single 1080p screen that delivers 960x1080 to each eye.

So no, the OR has no advantage there.

The blur may or may not be worse, the same guy that got the resolution wrong is the only one I've seen mention it thus far.

And sure, I think most people understand that an OR connected to a truly high end machine will be able to produce graphics at frame rates the PS 4 won't match. That's kind of a silly point to make though. It's basically the same "High end PCs have the best graphics" argument that consolites lost long ago. If people are buying PS4s knowing they aren't getting the best possible graphics on the market, do you really think they'll be surprised that a peripheral hooked up to a PS4 won't make the graphics outclass a high end PC with a similar setup?

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By delta3074

@santoron said:

@delta3074: despite Endgadget's claim to the contrary, both the new OR and Sony's headset have been confirmed at 1080p. That is they each use a single 1080p screen that delivers 960x1080 to each eye.

firstly it's obvious to anyone with a brain that you are going to get a better experience with occulus Rift on a high end Pc than you are going to get with morpheus on the Ps4 which is essentially a mid range PC

Secondly, have you used Morpheus yet? the guys at endgadget have and even if you dispute the resolution you cannot dispute the fact that morpheus has more motion blur.

Thirdly, the devs at occulus Rift are targeting 1440p and 90 Fps with there next kit so OR will leave morpheus in the dust

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 delta3074
@santoron said:

The blur may or may not be worse, the same guy that got the resolution wrong is the only one I've seen mention it thus far.

And sure, I think most people understand that an OR connected to a truly high end machine will be able to produce graphics at frame rates the PS 4 won't match. That's kind of a silly point to make though. It's basically the same "High end PCs have the best graphics" argument that consolites lost long ago. If people are buying PS4s knowing they aren't getting the best possible graphics on the market, do you really think they'll be surprised that a peripheral hooked up to a PS4 won't make the graphics outclass a high end PC with a similar setup?

Theres a lot of people on here claiming that they WILL have the same kind of experience as the Rift, it's those people my posts where aimed at, not people like you who clearly have some common sense, which is nice to see actually.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By santoron

@delta3074: don't be dense. You know I haven't used it, and made no such claim. Nor did I refute the Endgadget's guy, I simply pointed out that other that have used it haven't made the same remarks and the Endgadget's guy is the same one that couldn't get the resolution right. Simple enough now?

The higher the OR targets their performance, the more amazing looking the graphics CAN be, sure. But the higher they push for specs the more limited market they'll have of potential customers with rigs that can run the thing, not to mention the higher price they have to charge for more expensive components. IMO, a bad approach for a market I'd love to see succeed.

I love the idea of these headsets. I can't wait for them to release so I can play with them. I just don't get the moronic notion that Sony bringing a solution out is a bad idea. I'll admit that Sony's headset will be a tougher sell to me than the OR if the hardware isn't either compatible with PC, or can be made to be via third party hardware, because PC is my primary platform, and I'm certainly not buying one of these headsets for each box I own. But if Sony can deliver a fluid VR experience for the console arena it's going to only bolster the entire genre, even if they push fewer polygons to your eyes than the latest PC hardware could. Remember gaming not being all about graphics? Because it sounds like a lot of people here sure don't...

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#86 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I'm really struggling to see how Sony's VR will be in 'direct' competition with Oculus Rift. Sure they're both VR headsets but OR isn't going to be on PS4 and it's unlikely that Sony's VR will on anything but Playstation.

Where's the competition? Unless it's in the non gaming markets but then Sony need to be going in hard against powerful PC's, even more so than high end 'gaming' rigs, something the PS4's hardware is not capable of doing.

You don't run a Nissan Skyline in a Formula 1 race

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 delta3074

@santoron said:

@delta3074: don't be dense. You know I haven't used it, and made no such claim. Nor did I refute the Endgadget's guy, I simply pointed out that other that have used it haven't made the same remarks and the Endgadget's guy is the same one that couldn't get the resolution right. Simple enough now?

The higher the OR targets their performance, the more amazing looking the graphics CAN be, sure. But the higher they push for specs the more limited market they'll have of potential customers with rigs that can run the thing, not to mention the higher price they have to charge for more expensive components. IMO, a bad approach for a market I'd love to see succeed.

I love the idea of these headsets. I can't wait for them to release so I can play with them. I just don't get the moronic notion that Sony bringing a solution out is a bad idea. I'll admit that Sony's headset will be a tougher sell to me than the OR if the hardware isn't either compatible with PC, or can be made to be via third party hardware, because PC is my primary platform, and I'm certainly not buying one of these headsets for each box I own. But if Sony can deliver a fluid VR experience for the console arena it's going to only bolster the entire genre, even if they push fewer polygons to your eyes than the latest PC hardware could. Remember gaming not being all about graphics? Because it sounds like a lot of people here sure don't...

i Don't think it's a bad thing that SONY does a VR unit, of course it's good for gaming and no it's not about the graphics, if you read the whole thread this all started with me disagreeing with someone who stated Morpheus would be better then OR, which i just don't believe to be true, the point i was trying to make was that the Rift is a better piece of hardware because of the system it's made for and because of who wrote the software algorithms.

Personally i don't like VR headsets, tried one at the trocadero in london, it was simple and fun, a boxing game but i fell over when i took the headset off and felt really sick,i just think i have one of those brains that rejects VR for some reason

More power to SONY for releasing VR, you seem really exited about the idea which is a good thing and a reason for me to cross my fingers that SONY's VR lives up to the hype

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 delta3074
@Venom951 said:

@CroidX: Microsoft also has a VR Headset so it will be cool to see all these VR headsets go Head to Head I smell another Blu ray Vs HD DVD war coming

MS VR headset for the xbone would be decimated by Morpheus because of the Xbones weaker hardware.

Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Venom951
Member since 2012 • 389 Posts

@delta3074: To say its gonna get decimated is a shallow statement .