John Carmack cautious over Sony VR (No high expectation)

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by CroidX (953 posts) -

http://www.play.tm/news/125429044/john-carmack-cautious-over-sonys-new-vr-headset/

Oculus Rift chief technical officer John Carmack has advised folks not to expect too much from Sony's Project Morpheus VR headset.

Carmack explained that while the PS4 is capable of running a decent VR experience at 30fps it's not quite the same experience as a high-end PC can deliver on Oculus Rift.

He said on Twitter, “Calibrate PS4 VR expectations: a game that ran 60 fps on PS3 could be done in VR (stereo 1080 MSAA low latency 60 fps) on PS4. That wasn’t sniping; I think PS4 is a great platform, sufficient to drive VR. People just need to understand the demands.”

A game that can run 60fps on ps3 hmm anyone that can list some lol

EDIT:

lol Look at you guys acting if he's trashing the Sony VR when John Carmack clearly has a point. Cows seem to be riding the bandwagon again thinking somehow its going do well. If what John Carmack said is accurate Sony VR won't be able to be used for most of your games unlike the one from Oculus Rift.

I guess cows are going discredit John Carmack now. If the OR is going to bomb what makes Sony VR any better when its even more limited. A least you can buy hardware that is capable of playing more demanding games with the OR VR yet with Sony VR your stuck with whatever games can run well with it. And based on what John Carmack don't get your hopes up with games you want to use with it.

#2 Posted by NoTrolling (97 posts) -

Carmack scared of Cerny's engineering prowess.

#3 Posted by uninspiredcup (7629 posts) -

My friends, both Sony and Microsoft will most likely go down the wii route (highly accessible casual titles) as opposed to hardcore titles with bleeding edge graphics.

#4 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -

Carmack spent all gen last gen talking shit about SONY. He's never been right about anything.

Also stating the obvious there.... PS4 wont be as good cuz its not a high end PC, well tell us something we didnt already know.

#5 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Well yeah.

PS4 already struggles to run games well, and good VR requires rendering two screens at once at 60fps (Occulus Rift devs say 90fps would be optimal).

I'm only expecting VR to be worth it on PC for the time being.

#6 Edited by foxhound_fox (87366 posts) -

Of course the developer behind one project wouldn't have a overly positive opinion about direct competition.

That said, he is right about the Rift. It will offer the best experience because it won't be limited by closed hardware, and it already has a significant backing from developers. Sony's move is just another cash in on the next big trending tech toy.

#7 Edited by Nike_Air (18293 posts) -

I'm calibrating.

#8 Posted by TheFadeForever (1685 posts) -

It was a given that the Sony VR would not offer a good experience compared to Oculus Rift because of the hardware limitation something that's not an issue for PCs.

#9 Posted by killzowned24 (7296 posts) -

PS4 should be able to do just about any 1080p/60 game,especially with the technique used in Killzone to further optimize.

#10 Posted by CroidX (953 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

I agree it could easily end up offering something more towards the casual audience that might not care too much on graphics or etc

#11 Edited by CroidX (953 posts) -

@killzowned24:

Except it doesn't have a whole lot of games at 1080p 60fps that is constant

#12 Edited by PSP107 (11673 posts) -

I think VR gaming won't be much.

#13 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

So Carmack is saying one VR headset is not as good as the one he's building and to not expect much, well no shit it's his competition! Oculus rift is a great machine and has a lot of potential but I guess Engadget and a few other sources disagree with him on Morpheus

#14 Posted by handssss (1798 posts) -

Carmack runs entirely off of semi-related credit he earned like 2 decades ago.

#15 Edited by TheFadeForever (1685 posts) -

@Solid_Max13:

I'm pretty sure what he meant was the ps4 is limited in terms of its hardware so don't expect the Sony VR to be able to match the oculus rift VR in experience. Not like he said anything to trash it the Sony VR.

#16 Edited by CroidX (953 posts) -

Here comes people discrediting John Carmack not too long ago people were using what he said as proof of the magical console optimization

#17 Edited by Spartan070 (16326 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, both Sony and Microsoft will most likely go down the wii route (highly accessible casual titles) as opposed to hardcore titles with bleeding edge graphics.

Hardcore titles and bleeding edge graphics are not one in the same. Sometimes they happen to coincide but you can be either without the other.

#18 Posted by kingtito (4794 posts) -

So Carmack is saying one VR headset is not as good as the one he's building and to not expect much, well no shit it's his competition! Oculus rift is a great machine and has a lot of potential but I guess Engadget and a few other sources disagree with him on Morpheus

OR isn't direct comp though since it won't be coming to consoles according to Carmack.

#19 Edited by DarthRamms (327 posts) -

So technically

Sony VR inferior experience

Oculus Rift VR superior experience

And lol ps3 game at 60fps

It looks like its going be way more limited than Oculus Rift like in terms of game library

#20 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10199 posts) -

So he doesn't care for his competition? Wow big fucking surprise there!

#21 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@kingtito: No it isn't but it's a VR machine nonetheless and it's his competition not the same platform but same type of concept.

#22 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2559 posts) -

Do people actually want to spend money on a giant helmet?

#23 Posted by CroidX (953 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

well some cows think the VR from sony is going sell well and be successful

#24 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: people bought kinect last gen thinking it would be revolutionary, gaming is about change and evolving not always using a controller but giving different experiences and making gaming unique, whether it works or not or you like it or not it's unique and some people do.

#25 Edited by Speak_Low (858 posts) -

He wasn't angry or jealous when those even higher up at Oculus - Palmer Luckey (the inventor) and Nate Mitchell (VP of Oculus) themselves have said at SXSW and this GDC that they are hoping for Sony's success in VR (you can easily find the quotes), because good VR elsewhere will help them in the long run too.

Apparently some GAF goofballs thought Carmack was jealous and hating on the PS4 and throwing out random hissy fit Tweets, when they forget that he is asked questions very often on Twitter because of his knowledge. Nobody asks (or cares) about "RomeoBleedz" or "LilGangstaNYC" on Twitter their initial opinions on VR when you have access to John Carmack's brain and experience right there.

Unfortunately I don't have a GAF account so I couldn't respond to their accusations, but I was silently transmitting my anger at the handful of GAF nerds who said Carmack was being bitchy and salty.

I'm excited for the Morpheus but what Carmack said was a good point and should be considered (don't expect The Division or Uncharted 4 in full glory with VR, for instance). Also, Sony themselves said yesterday there will need to be compromises, which is what Carmack said!

I don't want to see any more accusations of the great Carmack having high sodium levels. Palmer Luckey said there wouldn't even be an Oculus Rift at the level it's at right now without Carmack who really set things in motion with the funding and development

#26 Posted by uninspiredcup (7629 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Hardcore titles and bleeding edge graphics are not one in the same. Sometimes they happen to coincide but you can be either without the other.

Probably where the "with" comes in. Silly billy.

#27 Posted by Daious (1049 posts) -

Its not Sony's VR that is the issue, its the limiting hardware of PS4 and consoles in general.

Sony should release this on PC

#28 Posted by super600 (30131 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: people bought kinect last gen thinking it would be revolutionary, gaming is about change and evolving not always using a controller but giving different experiences and making gaming unique, whether it works or not or you like it or not it's unique and some people do.

The difference between kinect amd Project Morpheus is that Project Morpheus will probably cost two times more tham kinect which will put it outside the market that bought the kinect most likely.

#29 Posted by lglz1337 (3115 posts) -

carmack got scared lmao

#30 Edited by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

I've got only one thing to say to John Carsmack Talker: 8GB of pure GDDR5 power, baby. PS4 can do anything.

#31 Edited by CroidX (953 posts) -

@Master_ShakeXXX:

But apparently not enough to play most games with VR at 60fps oh wait the ps4 doesn't have 8gb of gddr5 for available solely for gaming

#32 Posted by Vatusus (4353 posts) -

Carmak is a tool. He was always pro-pc/xbox and anti-playstation for some reason

He can lick my hairy balls for all I care

#33 Posted by Spartan070 (16326 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Probably where the "with" comes in. Silly billy.

Wow, totally didn't see that in context. :( Either I'm tired or I forgot to take off my Geordi La Forge cosplay goggles...

#34 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38208 posts) -

Well Oculus Rift could have gone to consoles if the developers of it allowed it to. But they specifically said the consoles were too limited for what they wanted to do. So they're right to not expect too much. People expecting a really high end solution on a PS4 are gonna be left disappointed, the hardware just isn't there for what the Rift can pull off on a PC

I'm sure it will be a decent solution to VR but it won't have that wow factor the Rift will have when fully released.

#35 Edited by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

@CroidX said:

@Master_ShakeXXX:

But apparently not enough to play most games with VR at 60fps oh wait the ps4 doesn't have 8gb of gddr5 for available solely for gaming

Filth, lies, and deceivery. If PS4 is not powerful enough like you say, then why does InFamous Second Son look better than any game on PC? BOOM

#36 Posted by CroidX (953 posts) -

@Master_ShakeXXX:

too bad it doesn't and of course the ps4 isn't powerful enough

#37 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3525 posts) -

@super600 said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

The difference between kinect amd Project Morpheus is that Project Morpheus will probably cost two times more tham kinect which will put it outside the market that bought the kinect most likely.

I guess you didn't read my post all the way through, Yes people bought Kinect but, Kinect didn't appeal to everyone, and neither will Morpheus and we also don't have a final price, thing is people want new experiences in gaming, Oculus Rift is going to be just as expensive yet I guarantee people will buy that, either way this can either work or be complete shit like Move. So Far they have my attention, I'm not ready to commit just yet but I am intrigued.

#38 Edited by Heil68 (43244 posts) -

Well what do you know I have no high expectations over OR myself.

#39 Edited by magicalclick (22374 posts) -

I think it is ok, not everyone is looking for bleeding edge graphics in OR like experience. I am more concern with the view angle, the Sony visor is shorter vertically, which can feel less immersed. And ultimately, I am not sure people want to play game with a helmet all the time, so, the market is limited. I do hope someone make a Kinect + OR on PC, that would be interesting. I hope the VR has no pre-rendered field of depth. Let my eyes do the job.

#40 Posted by uninspiredcup (7629 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

carmack got scared lmao

Carmack is a pretty straight talking fellow. Highly doubtful.

#41 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

What else do you expect him to say? Of course he isn't going to have high expectations for direct competition.

It's like saying Kaz doesn't have high hopes for Xbone lol.

#42 Posted by uninspiredcup (7629 posts) -

What else do you expect him to say? Of course he isn't going to have high expectations for direct competition.

Carmack quite happily admitted on multiple occlusions product weakness. e.g. Doom 3 and Rage...

#43 Posted by Couth_ (9975 posts) -

It goes without saying that you won't see high fidelity graphics on games that are meant for the Morpheus. But the rift suffers the same drawback in it's power requirement. You need a high end rig to take advantage of it and there will simply be way more PS4's in homes then rift capable PCs. Rift is targeted towards enthusiasts and Morpheus will be targeted towards casuals.

I expect the Morpheus to sell more even if it is inferior in every way.. At least the technology itself is making strides.

#44 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38208 posts) -

@CroidX said:

@Master_ShakeXXX:

Filth, lies, and deceivery. If PS4 is not powerful enough like you say, then why does InFamous Second Son look better than any game on PC? BOOM

Because opinions

#45 Posted by WallofTruth (1383 posts) -

Except they are not direct competition. Morpheus is not available on PC and the Rift is not available on the PS4.

#46 Posted by AM-Gamer (3521 posts) -

@CroidX said:

@uninspiredcup:

I agree it could easily end up offering something more towards the casual audience that might not care too much on graphics or etc

And they will offer games for those that are hardcore gamers as well. That's the great thing about Playstation is they always have variety.

#47 Posted by slim70 (316 posts) -

I hope MS stays away from this I think that this will be just another failed Sony adventure.

#48 Posted by Opus_Rea-333 (928 posts) -

Heres what Treyarch (currectly the best cod developer right now)

has to say

#49 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

VR's a gimmick. Was attempted in the 90's. Failed. this and occulus rift will come and go. like 3d tvs...nobody wants to wear something on their head.

#50 Posted by uninspiredcup (7629 posts) -

Heres what Treyarch (currectly the best cod developer right now)

has to say

Call Of Duty man, criticizing sequels.

Uh. Huh.