Jimquisition: The Xbox One: A Lying Failure Machine

• 169 results
#1 Posted by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -
#2 Posted by dotWithShoes (4834 posts) -

I don't understand how anyone can consider the Xbox One a failure when it comes to sales. Yeah, it may not be selling as well as the Ps4, but okay?

#3 Edited by freedomfreak (39101 posts) -

How much does he bench press?

#4 Posted by Phazevariance (10936 posts) -

So... no different than the PS3 debacle on it's release. All that means is MS will struggle a bit more this generation and try for a redo next gen like Sony did this gen.

#5 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13375 posts) -

#6 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10319 posts) -

Xbox One is, what, the second or third fastest selling console of all time?

#7 Posted by lostrib (34278 posts) -

Meh, just throw some Halo and Gears on it and people will be happy

#8 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9493 posts) -

#9 Edited by Shewgenja (8446 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

First would be PS4, second would be Wii and third is PS2 at this point. We can't draw anything about XBone's initial sales until the end of November. The one million unit launch makes such soundbites dubious. We also haven't heard a fucking thing about XBone's global position in months.

#10 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9840 posts) -

So that's what cows look like outside the forums.

I for one was opposed to the Kinect removal but in the end it was a good business decision and its paying off.

That being said, Kinect & the X1 combo works as advertised and I enjoy it.

#11 Edited by lglz1337 (3127 posts) -

great, so on point!

all i can say is spread the word the evil must die!

#12 Edited by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

Jim Sterling is a PC gamer.

#13 Posted by lglz1337 (3127 posts) -
#14 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9840 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Oh sorry don't follow him or know him

#15 Edited by Jeager_Titan (945 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Well he mostly talks about the pros and cons of every gaming system and the industry. Also dildos and emotions. lol

#16 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10319 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

First would be PS4, second would be Wii and third is PS2 at this point. We can't draw anything about XBone's initial sales until the end of November. The one million unit launch makes such soundbites dubious.

From the most recent NPD thread. Even if the Xbox One does fall beneath the PS2 in total sales in the future, to say it is a "failure" is gross misstatement. Xbox OG sold ~24 million, Xbox 360 has sold ~80 million and Xbox One has sold ~5 million in eight months -- I don't understand how the Xbox One (as a stand alone game console) could be considered to be failing, it is just not selling on par with the PS4 (which no console can claim to have done).

#17 Posted by Gue1 (9492 posts) -

truer words have never been spoken.

#18 Posted by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Lol that's just as bad, you're happy just to cry fanboy or cow at anyone who has a negative opinion of the Xbox i suppose.

I don't understand how anyone can consider the Xbox One a failure when it comes to sales. Yeah, it may not be selling as well as the Ps4, but okay?

If the X1 isn't a sales failure then how come they cut the price? MS certainly seem to think it's failing else it'd still be $500.

#19 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9840 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@jeager_titan said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Well he mostly talks about the pros and cons of every gaming system and the industry. Also dildos and emotions. lol

Lol oh jeez.

#20 Edited by chikenfriedrice (9840 posts) -
#21 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4380 posts) -

pc gamer? maybe. but he ain't no pheasant, i'm telling you now.

#22 Edited by lglz1337 (3127 posts) -

lol @xbox

we never lie...

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/491346896015732736

sorry on mobile

#23 Posted by handssss (1821 posts) -

he specifically states he doesn't think it's a failure when it comes to sales. His reasoning for calling it a failure was because it failed to deliver everything it originally promised and envisioned due to all the backpedaling and 180s.

#24 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

I think it's clear to anyone that isn't a lemming that the Xflop is a failure at this point.

#25 Edited by Krelian-co (10361 posts) -

#26 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16770 posts) -

Sony pretty much saved gaming. Made a thread about this and it was locked by a lem mod.

#27 Edited by Krelian-co (10361 posts) -

Sony pretty much saved gaming. Made a thread about this and it was locked by a lem mod.

it sounds like it was full of fanboy bs, just a guess.

#28 Edited by silversix_ (14052 posts) -

"the One is a fuckup" yes i agree. I also think 'pos' in his article's title would fit Xbone very well.

#29 Posted by Shewgenja (8446 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

First would be PS4, second would be Wii and third is PS2 at this point. We can't draw anything about XBone's initial sales until the end of November. The one million unit launch makes such soundbites dubious.

From the most recent NPD thread. Even if the Xbox One does fall beneath the PS2 in total sales in the future, to say it is a "failure" is gross misstatement. Xbox OG sold ~24 million, Xbox 360 has sold ~80 million and Xbox One has sold ~5 million in eight months -- I don't understand how the Xbox One (as a stand alone game console) could be considered to be failing, it is just not selling on par with the PS4 (which no console can claim to have done).

It's quite simple, actually.

XBox is only a thing in the US. To say it's one of the fastest selling consoles and using NPD graphs is not a well-founded argument. The development and publishers operate globally and any measure for the industry is thusly, global. The initial bump in Month 1 and 2 tells the entire story here. Not to mention I can still buy a Day One Edition on Amazon..

What you have painted is an incomplete picture. What Microsoft has painted is an incomplete picture. What your graph paints is a very incomplete picture that accounts for less than 3 million sales up to this point. Come year's end, you may very well find the XBone trending more like XBox or even the Gamecube in all perfect honesty. Even with the pre-emptive NPD damage control from MS regarding June's sales did they even make a mention that the XBone is even the fastest selling XBox? The answer is no.

Your claim that XBone is one of the fastest selling consoles was a statement made with a big stonking asterisk back in? January or February? If you left every other console out of your graph, you'd see that XBone is a curve flattening out and this is representative of its biggest territory, not the global scale which is what really counts.

#30 Edited by MBirdy88 (7646 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

did you even watch it, it he says its a failure at what it set out to do... and hes right, he also said "it will likely sell well" .... but hes right.

ITs now just a weaker ps4 .... with less unique studios and pedegree.... from a company that has lost its sense of direction in ALL of its major products except maybe Windows 7 and Office.

MS have money.... but they have been behind and crap in most of their markets for years now. the xbox one is no exception.

#31 Posted by inb4uall (5341 posts) -

Lol pretending you don't know. Well the PS4 and wii exist soooo common sense says at the very best it's 3rd...

#32 Posted by lamprey263 (23096 posts) -

Wow, so much melodrama over MS getting rid of Kinect to bring down the price. It's not so much dishonesty as much as it is making necessary measures to remain commercially viable. Deception requires they had an ulterior motive other than to increase the commercial viability of the console in taking such steps. I don't imagine he could be objective though, not likely when throwing around worlds like the Kinect was an "NSA's wet dream". He also claims developers were under the assumption all X1s would have Kinect hurts developers by ditching full Kinect inclusion in their SKUs hurts... not really, developers learned last gen that Kinect isn't so much a very viable peripheral for many games, only the most successful being limited to titles like Dance Central. We saw ambitious titles with potential die on release like Steel Battalion, and games like Child of Eden and Crimson Dragon switch from Kinect controls to standard controls with motion control options. I don't think any developer out there is suffering as a result of the Kinect-less SKU.

As for the DRM issue, I feel nobody in the gaming press has even a clue what happened there. And I'm certainly sure it starts with the complete game installs and no used game plans MS had for the console prior to reveal. By having game installs and no used games, what installing the game would do is basically tie the game to the users account, treating it henceforth like DRM, and thus allow for discless play. I think before the reveal MS in a haste decided to change things without thinking it through which only made matters worse for them. They decided to have used games and keep the system discless in functionality but you really can't have both. The 24 hour DRM check was mostly likely a result of trying to have discless play and used games, you can't have that. Since then the solution was to ditch discless play, which by doing so removes the necessity of 24 hour DRM checks...

...so, while Sterling bitches about the SS claim of online DRM checks being essential to the functionality of the system, he fails to see what essential functionality is being talked about; mainly this would be in discless play. After all, MS never required DRM checks for the Xbox 360 because a user's usage rights to the digital titles they buy is tied to their account and to their primary console they game on or the game was purchased on. If the title is downloaded to that system no online DRM check is needed beyond the download itself. One can even play on a separate account on that console without the need to be logged into the primary account. Where DRM is required is if say I go to a friends place, log onto my XBL account on his console, download a game to his console from my account. Now, since he doesn't own the game I need to remain online for the game to function on his system (since I own the rights to that title), this prevents multiple users from playing on a single users usage rights. With the Xbox One, what they were likely trying to avoid with 24 hour DRM checks was someone installing a game and playing it offline while the game was then sold on the used game market. Frankly, the only solution MS should have gone with regarding the no used game solution was to straight up ditch discless play (which is ultimately what they ended up doing), and allow games to be played off the HDD with the disc needed for usage verification. The other solutions were just awful on their face and should never have been considered. Either that, or keep to their guns on no used games (though that probably wouldn't have worked well for them either).

Frankly, I don't see how reversing policy on these initially bad decisions is worth so much condemnation as having them in the first place.

#33 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2723 posts) -

I would never buy a xflop not only because of the lies but the ps4 cost the same price to boot. I would go one step beyond and hope the steam os becomes standard so I won't have to buy MS's crappy unsecure os just to play games.

#34 Posted by Jacanuk (4200 posts) -

If thats what you think Jim Sterling is saying then i suggest that instead of blowing out hot air, you actually watch the video and listen to what he has to say.

#35 Edited by indigenous_euphoria (152 posts) -

Seriously what's with all the Xbox one hate....i don't get it.

#36 Posted by adders99 (2594 posts) -

I for one was opposed to the Kinect removal but in the end it was a good business decision and its paying off.

That being said, Kinect & the X1 combo works as advertised and I enjoy it.

Agreed. I love my X1. At first I didnt want them to remove Kinect but it seems to have worked out well for them and if it means more people are open to enjoying the x1 then im all for it!

#37 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

I'm not one to say "Thank you Sony" after every post like some PS fanboys but without the PS4s success we would of gotten the "Always Online" "TV box" Microsoft wanted, and if they ever get the monopoly the originally think they had that's what we'll end up getting and that's a scary thought......

#38 Posted by dotWithShoes (4834 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

@dotWithShoes said:

If the X1 isn't a sales failure then how come they cut the price? MS certainly seem to think it's failing else it'd still be $500.

Last I checked the Xbox One with Kinect was still $500. So releasing a second, cheaper, Sku is admitting your console is failing.. OK.

@Jacanuk said:

@dotWithShoes said:

If thats what you think Jim Sterling is saying then i suggest that instead of blowing out hot air, you actually watch the video and listen to what he has to say.

Never said that is what he was saying, didn't want to start a new thread to say just what I said and felt this was a perfect place to make a general statement. No where in my post did I mention the OP, did I? I merely made the statement I made.

#39 Posted by foxhound_fox (87624 posts) -

Hard to call something a failure before it's actually failed, no?

#40 Posted by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Here come the Xbone apologists.

Fact of the matter is that M$ lied and got caught lying. Only reason they changed their policies is because they were getting their asses handed to them by Sony and they knew they'd kill the Xbox brand if they didnt do a 180. They didn't do all those 180s because they "listen to their customers". If they listened to their customers they wouldn't have gone through with that bullshit Kinect DRM TV box to begin with. Even after they got the backlash at last year's E3 they were still damage controlling instead of changing their policies immediately. Who can forget shitty damage control interviews like this?

Or this....

#41 Posted by sibu_xgamer (330 posts) -

Yeah the xbone is practically irrelevant considering the other options. It's hard to justify throwing away your money for it.

#42 Posted by -Damien- (5268 posts) -

A lying failure machine......HAHAHAHAHA....that's a brilliant term

xbone is xbowned

#43 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5761 posts) -

@dotWithShoes said:

Yeah... me either. Ridiculous.

#44 Posted by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

So they had a plan but a lot of people claimed their rights were being tramped on, so Microsoft changed their plans. So people complained they didn't need or want Kinect so they are now offering a version of the console without it. How is that lying?

Btw - Did this guy think the PS3 was one big pile of shit last gen?

#45 Posted by SolidTy (42418 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Btw - Did this guy think the PS3 was one big pile of shit last gen?

Btw: He did not like PS3 much last gen.

#46 Edited by Zen_Light (1231 posts) -

Microsoft has become very untrustworthy over the past decade or so. Every time they get a set of new fans they betray them again and again. Just ask the Xbox One early adopters.

#47 Posted by TwistedShade (3149 posts) -

I just bought a PS4 this weekend and playing it makes me feel kind of cynical towards my Xbox One (Which I've loved to death up until now). The OS runs smoother and faster, it costed less, the power factor is currently a plus, and I've come to realize I do indeed feel that paying the extra $100 for Kinect wasn't worth it. Playing my PS4 I don't miss Kinect at all and the only Xbox One feature I miss is it turning on my TV when I turn the system on but that's just me nitpicking.

#48 Edited by SolidTy (42418 posts) -

@TwistedShade said:

I just bought a PS4 this weekend and playing it makes me feel kind of cynical towards my Xbox One (Which I've loved to death up until now). The OS runs smoother and faster, it costed less, the power factor is currently a plus, and I've come to realize I do indeed feel that paying the extra $100 for Kinect wasn't worth it. Playing my PS4 I don't miss Kinect at all and the only Xbox One feature I miss is it turning on my TV when I turn the system on but that's just me nitpicking.

Wow! I remember your hardcore sometimes flaming, trolling PS posts from since you first appeared with this account in 2012. Surprised to read this post, but I understand it.

Another difference I noticed is PS+ I got 12 free games so far on PS4 but with GwG I only got 3 free games so far on Xbone.

Well, welcome to dual ownership country. :)

#49 Edited by OhSnapitz (18100 posts) -

You know what's funny..

The XBO gets so much ridicule.. and it STILL has a better Library than the PS4 (at the moment).

#50 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1926 posts) -

Wow even huge lemming like him jumping ship. TLHBO.