Jimquisition: Doing nothing, meaning everything

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by darkspineslayer (20367 posts) -

Jim Sterling's weekly show on the Escapist talked a little bit about PS4 this week, and that glorious moment that led to the biggest crowd roar since Twilight Princess was shown off. How Sony really did nothing with that announcement, but the industry around that announcement is what made it a big deal.

I remember saying this in the Sony P2M podcast, what does that cheer say about where we stand as an industry? That we are so starved to be given a little piece of control that Sony dosn't really have to do anything to make huge points? What say you, System Wars? 

#2 Posted by Blabadon (28271 posts) -
Tis the way, but it's still about games and appealing to gamers. Hell, the Wii U is even more free of policies and it didn't get that much of a cheer.
#3 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
i didn't need jim sterling to tell me that. sony brought those things up for 2 reasons: 1- it shouldn't be news, but the fact that microsoft is going against common sense made "we're not going to be COMPLETE assholes" newsworthy 2- they needed to get the crowd in an uproar of hype while they quietly announced that they're charging for online MP.
#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17478 posts) -

I really like Jim's look on the industry. He isn't a supporter of gaming companies attitudes, but isn't a supporter of gamers attitudes either. Will watch

#5 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17478 posts) -

1- it shouldn't be news, but the fact that microsoft is going against common sense made "we're not going to be COMPLETE assholes" newsworthyBrunoBRS

Very true. I have the same thing with news like: "Game X will not feature day one dlc or microtransactions" Why is that news ? Why do we praise games for something that has been standard for so many years ?

#6 Posted by Shewgenja (10830 posts) -

In all honesty, it was Microsoft and its fanboys who put the blanket of fear over the whole of gaming.  It is likely they will never be forgiven for it.

#7 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

I really like Jim's look on the industry. He isn't a supporter of gaming companies attitudes, but isn't a supporter of gamers attitudes either. Will watch

R4gn4r0k

True... his style may be annoying and forced sometimes (though he can also bring out a few chuckles), but all in all, he definitely knows his stuff!

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17478 posts) -

True... his style may be annoying and forced sometimes (though he can also bring out a few chuckles), but all in all, he definitely knows his stuff!

Rocker6

And he always backs up what he says with arguments. I may not agree with him all the time but I can understand his arguments.

Better than a lot of arguments here on SW which boil down to: "Game X is crap because it is crap" :P

#9 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

Better than a lot of arguments here on SW which boil down to: "Game X is crap because it is crap" :P

R4gn4r0k
it's not crap because it's crap. it's crap because it flopped, deal with it.
#10 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17478 posts) -

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

BrunoBRS

Oh yeah ? Who cares that website Y thinks that the game is crap ? I have this aggregated score here that says it isn't.

And before we know it we get so swepped away with meaningless scores that we forget to use actual arguments why a game is good or not. We just copy other people's opinions. We become parrots.

#11 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

R4gn4r0k

Oh yeah ? Who cares that website Y thinks that the game is crap ? I have this aggregated score here that says it isn't.

And before we know it we get so swepped away with meaningless scores that we forget to use actual arguments why a game is good or not. We just copy other people's opinions. We become parrots.

you're on gamespot. gamespot score is the law. want to use metascore, go to metacritic.
#12 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17478 posts) -

you're on gamespot. gamespot score is the law. want to use metascore, go to metacritic.BrunoBRS

You betrayed the LAW !

judge_dredd7.jpg

#13 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Of course the crowd roared. It was purely because sony said "We wont follow popular trends of DRM and we appreciate our customers". It was an applause of being glad customers werent being thrown under the bus as microsoft did previously that day.

I was happy as well, and it was because they did do something. What they did is not go along with what microsoft and game publishers wanted. Thats a big deal for a major company like sony.

In these days of companies putting themself first and the consumer second they instead chose to tell the consumers they were looking out for them and trying to show that they mattered.

#14 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]you're on gamespot. gamespot score is the law. want to use metascore, go to metacritic.R4gn4r0k

You betrayed the LAW !

judge_dredd7.jpg

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
#15 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17478 posts) -

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

You betrayed the LAW !

judge_dredd7.jpg

BrunoBRS

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

dredd30.jpg 

that movie has so many memorable o-faces :P

#16 Posted by darkspineslayer (20367 posts) -
[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

BrunoBRS

Flop =/= crap. It's just the metagame. Some take it too seriously.
#17 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28485 posts) -

R4gn4r0k
But he is a supporter of releasing personal details of a person that signs up for his website and calls him a misogynist.
#18 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28485 posts) -

In all honesty, it was Microsoft and its fanboys who put the blanket of fear over the whole of gaming.  It is likely they will never be forgiven for it.

Shewgenja
*laughs* honesty, Shewgenja. lol.