Japanese keep dumping their games into Steam (most of them are Vita titles)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

More than 18 JRPG title are coming to PC in 2017 besides those 6 titles NIS America confirmed, look I’m really glad that Japanese developers are increasing their dominance on PC gaming however they need to increase the quality of their games, not to mention some of them are way overpriced. just look at Koei Tecmo , $53 for BERSERK and the Band of the Hawk , srsly ??? ? I wonder how the hell it ended up on Steam’s top sellers chart

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@the_master_race:

Got a list? JRPG fan here, be nice to know whats coming up

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Because Berserk fills a niche not a lot of people find in other games, it sells really well.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Whoa, that is pretty cool.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, Japanese support has really come along on Steam. They even have a legit fighting game library on there now. But they need to start dumping their action games on there damn it. The DMC4 SE and MGR ports are great, but not much else. DMC3 port sucks. No Bayo. No Ninja Gaiden.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

That's great news for me and I hope this trend continues. Games are best played on PC for mods alone :)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@the_master_race: It's been very stop and start, but best I can tell it's simply a case of one developers just trying, finding some measure of success, and another following suite seeing that success and following suite.

Falcom did it first with many of the more recent Ys games, then Namco compelled From Software to start porting Dark Souls (despite their having never made a Windows game in their lives by their own admission), then Square started porting most of the numbered Final Fantasy games from various sources in fairly short order, then Valkyria Chronicles 1 and Tales of Zesitira were announced seemingly out of nowhere. More astonishing that most of them were good, barring From's teeth-cutting with the first Dark Souls.

PC's having fewer licensing fees and the Xbox brand's nonexistence in Japan makes the leap make sense, since any non-PlayStation/Nintendo release of a Japanese console game is for international players first. The PS4 has had pretty slow going in Japan, too, yes. And also keep in mind that, Consoles gaming in japan is declining, so niche publishers try to catch every possibility to secure more profits and to stay alive in the gaming industries.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_master_race
@Postosuchus said:

@the_master_race:

Got a list? JRPG fan here, be nice to know whats coming up

Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girl

Mobius Final Fantasy

Nights of Azure

Ni No Kuni II

==================

NIS America

==================

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - March 27

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness - April 24

Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy - May 16

Cladun Returns: This is Sengoku - June 6

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - Fall 2017

Tokyo Tattoo Girls (somewhat NSFW) - Fall 2017

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

Vanillaware when?

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Berserk is one of the more popular Western anime(that people watch in the West I mean), it's the only one I still watch. They recently launched a new series, so perhaps this helped the popularity of the game.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

I'm happy with the release of God Eater 2: Rage Burst on Steam last year. That game comes with God Eater Resurrection for free which I like.

P.S. There's no standalone game of GE:Resurrection.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

it's shame that these pc ports are abysmal

locked frame rates,locked resolutions(1080p max always) and 0 graphical options/features.When will they learn?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@Alucard_Prime said:

Berserk is one of the more popular Western anime(that people watch in the West I mean), it's the only one I still watch. They recently launched a new series, so perhaps this helped the popularity of the game.

The recent adaptations were all terrible, not only doing anime original episodes but diverging from the source material at some places or just skipping stuff all together. . The manga itself is where it is at right now.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_master_race

@davillain- said:

@the_master_race: It's been very stop and start, but best I can tell it's simply a case of one developers just trying, finding some measure of success, and another following suite seeing that success and following suite.

Falcom did it first with many of the more recent Ys games, then Namco compelled From Software to start porting Dark Souls (despite their having never made a Windows game in their lives by their own admission), then Square started porting most of the numbered Final Fantasy games from various sources in fairly short order, then Valkyria Chronicles 1 and Tales of Zesitira were announced seemingly out of nowhere. More astonishing that most of them were good, barring From's teeth-cutting with the first Dark Souls.

PC's having fewer licensing fees and the Xbox brand's nonexistence in Japan makes the leap make sense, since any non-PlayStation/Nintendo release of a Japanese console game is for international players first. The PS4 has had pretty slow going in Japan, too, yes. And also keep in mind that, Consoles gaming in japan is declining, so niche publishers try to catch every possibility to secure more profits and to stay alive in the gaming industries.

there was a huge migration of mid-tier Japanese developers from Vita to Steam recently, even Sony is increasing its support for PC , however there's a problem and it's that Japanese devs are still new to PC gaming , a good example is when Xceed released Little King's Story for PC , the port was shit ,due to this problem they hired Durante to assist them in repairing various issues

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_master_race
@anthonyautumns said:

I'm happy with the release of God Eater 2: Rage Burst on Steam last year. That game comes with God Eater Resurrection for free which I like.

P.S. There's no standalone game of GE:Resurrection.

Imma dive into world of JRPG again with Tales of Berseria , it's overwhelmingly positive on steam , solid shyt

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#16 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@King_Dodongo said:

Vanillaware when?

Yes, I'd like to buy Muramasa again.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#17 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@the_master_race:

Congratu-fucka-lations to PC gamers! You get all our awesome PS Vita Japanese games for such amazing prices! ?????

Seriously though, I love the anime games the Vita has! If I had a strong PC, I'd love to play them all over again on higher specs! Do they even take advantage of the PC specs? I haven't seen many that do aside from ps4 to PC games like Berserk.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@the_master_race: Was planning to pre-order that game as it's supposed to be my self "birthday day present", but till I realize there's not much incentive on pre-ordering it. That's the reason I haven't bought it yet.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:
@King_Dodongo said:

Vanillaware when?

Yes, I'd like to buy Muramasa again.

Wouldn't mind the Rebirth version on Steam (specially for those of us who played it on the wii), beautiful and nice game.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_master_race
@killered3 said:

@the_master_race:

Congratu-fucka-lations to PC gamers! You get all our awesome PS Vita Japanese games for such amazing prices! ?????

Seriously though, I love the anime games the Vita has! If I had a strong PC, I'd love to play them all over again on higher specs! Do they even take advantage of the PC specs? I haven't seen many that do aside from ps4 to PC games like Berserk.

Add this one to the list too

=============================

Square Enix announced today that Dragon Quest Heroes II, the sequel of the Omega Force-developed hack-and-slash game will also be getting a PC release via Steam on April 25, 2017.

=============================

is this game good ? @davillain-

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Now if KT improves their porting efforts and SEGA/ATLUS started porting ship properly.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_master_race

@deadline-zero0 said:

Now if KT improves their porting efforts and SEGA/ATLUS started porting ship properly.

if you remember ...

===============================

Over at TSSZ News, site owner Tristan Oliver got himself cozy with a SEGA inside source who tells him that SEGA will continue to port to PC. Not that its a secret, considering that SEGA Europe openly tweeted as such but the interesting bit was what SEGA PC Ports they are considering.

According to TSSZ’s source, the lineup of upcoming SEGA PC ports will be extensive. One of the bigger titles that surprised me was the mention of Yakuza 0, but according to the source its just a idea the team has shot around and isn’t finalized.

According to TSSZ the following titles are ‘high priority’ SEGA PC ports:

• Vanquish
  • Resonance of Fate
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva franchise
  • Virtua Fighter 5
  • Valkyria: Azure Revolution

Seems that SEGA won’t stop there as their source also talked about them wanting to port several Atlus games. So far SEGA has put out at least one PC port a year, so it might be quite awhile before we see all these titles.

So what do you guys think about this rumor? True or false? Any games not mentioned that deserve a PC port?

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

@the_master_race said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

if you remember ...

===============================

Over at TSSZ News, site owner Tristan Oliver got himself cozy with a SEGA inside source who tells him that SEGA will continue to port to PC. Not that its a secret, considering that SEGA Europe openly tweeted as such but the interesting bit was what SEGA PC Ports they are considering.

According to TSSZ’s source, the lineup of upcoming SEGA PC ports will be extensive. One of the bigger titles that surprised me was the mention of Yakuza 0, but according to the source its just a idea the team has shot around and isn’t finalized.

According to TSSZ the following titles are ‘high priority’ SEGA PC ports:

• Vanquish
  • Resonance of Fate
  • Hatsune Miku: Project Diva franchise
  • Virtua Fighter 5
  • Valkyria: Azure Revolution

Seems that SEGA won’t stop there as their source also talked about them wanting to port several Atlus games. So far SEGA has put out at least one PC port a year, so it might be quite awhile before we see all these titles.

So what do you guys think about this rumor? True or false? Any games not mentioned that deserve a PC port?

Resonance of Fate is one of the best JRPG of the PS3 era. It's a hidden gem. It's combat system is both flashy and very deep.

I've always wanted to play Vanquish and a PC port would be a great way to do so. As for the others, the more the merrier.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Now SE.... send FF12:za to steam please

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nepu7supastar7

@the_master_race:

It's actually not really hard to find a good hack and slash game from Japan. I've never played Dragon Quest before but I can see the doubt being that it's Square Enix and all. It might be good though. Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy Dissidia must mean that they at least know SOMETHING about the genre.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#26 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@the_master_race said:

Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girl

Mobius Final Fantasy

Nights of Azure

Ni No Kuni II

==================

NIS America

==================

Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy - March 27

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness - April 24

Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy - May 16

Cladun Returns: This is Sengoku - June 6

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - Fall 2017

Tokyo Tattoo Girls (somewhat NSFW) - Fall 2017

Danganronpa is NIS too

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@the_master_race: i'm not saying they might not have a huge lineup in the making.

it's the history. After VC's huge success, we got a sonic game and then silence.

I've been hoping that it seems a huge announcement but they're super quitet.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#28 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@acp_45 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

The recent adaptations were all terrible, not only doing anime original episodes but diverging from the source material at some places or just skipping stuff all together. . The manga itself is where it is at right now.

The cel-shaded art style of the new Berserk series looks terrible, like a cheap video game. They should've stuck with the classic art style used in the older TV series and the movie.

And as far as video game adaptations go, Berserk games tend to be mediocre. The closest thing to a great Berserk adaptation is the Souls series, which was inspired by Berserk.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Alucard_Prime

@Jag85 said:
@acp_45 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

The cel-shaded art style of the new Berserk series looks terrible, like a cheap video game. They should've stuck with the classic art style used in the older TV series and the movie.

And as far as video game adaptations go, Berserk games tend to be mediocre. The closest thing to a great Berserk adaptation is the Souls series, which was inspired by Berserk.

I agree the animation quality of the new series is not as great as before, but it's good enough for me and I'm mostly enjoying the story, seeing what happens after epsiode 25 because I remember when I first watched the series many years ago, I felt like the 25th episode ended on a heart wrenching cliff-hanger. So far I am enjoying it, but I only saw the first few episodes. I've never been a Manga person, although I certainly understand why it is often regarded as the superior source material.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

It really pains me to see my fellow brethren reward incompetent Japanese devs by buying these trash ports.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

@the_master_race said:
  • Vanquish

I hope this is true.

I played the 360/PS3 version for about an hour before i quit.

The amount of jaggies in that game made my eyes hurt.

Looking forward to playing this at 4K/60fps

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nepu7supastar7

@navyguy21:

Keep dreaming, dude. Japanese developers that drop in games from consoles to pc always half-ass them and leave them with bugs and the exact same graphics in tact. It would be a miracle if Vanquish even gets to pc let alone updated graphically.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@Alucard_Prime said:
@Jag85 said:
@acp_45 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

I agree the animation quality of the new series is not as great as before, but it's good enough for me and I'm mostly enjoying the story, seeing what happens after epsiode 25 because I remember when I first watched the series many years ago, I felt like the 25th episode ended on a heart wrenching cliff-hanger. So far I am enjoying it, but I only saw the first few episodes. I've never been a Manga person, although I certainly understand why it is often regarded as the superior source material.

I'd highly recommend you read the manga. Everything is turned to 11 in the post-eclipse arcs. And there is a lot going for the mangaka's art style and attention to detail...it's honestly a thousand times better than having an anime production directed by the director of anime like Tekyuu and other rainbow shiny anime out there... It's low budget too which doesn't do the source material even a percentage of justice. It really is a bloody shame too. Berserk is so thematically rich and the manga really hammers the atmosphere to be oppressive and dark throughout. I'd want Berserk to be properly adapted or not at all. It just deserves more respect for what it offers and right now it is getting thrashed through this new adaptation.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Alucard_Prime

@acp_45 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:
@Jag85 said:
@acp_45 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:

I'd highly recommend you read the manga. Everything is turned to 11 in the post-eclipse arcs. And there is a lot going for the mangaka's art style and attention to detail...it's honestly a thousand times better than having an anime production directed by the director of anime like Tekyuu and other rainbow shiny anime out there... It's low budget too which doesn't do the source material even a percentage of justice. It really is a bloody shame too. Berserk is so thematically rich and the manga really hammers the atmosphere to be oppressive and dark throughout. I'd want Berserk to be properly adapted or not at all. It just deserves more respect for what it offers and right now it is getting thrashed through this new adaptation.

I know what you mean, I do remember looking at some Berserk Manga years ago and thinking how amazing the art style was, it's very dark and gritty as well which is an aspect of the series that isn't well represented overall in the new series. However some scenes are better than others I would say, but overall it's not very good quality, I remember watching anime from more than 20 years ago that had better quality of animation.

I'll look into the Manga again at some point, it's been a while so maybe my perception will probably be different now. Thanks

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By the_master_race
@killered3 said:

@navyguy21:

Keep dreaming, dude. Japanese developers that drop in games from consoles to pc always half-ass them and leave them with bugs and the exact same graphics in tact. It would be a miracle if Vanquish even gets to pc let alone updated graphically.

I disagree >> here's an example http://www.pcgamer.com/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-analysis-durantes-verdict/

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#36 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@the_master_race said:
@killered3 said:

@navyguy21:

I disagree >> here's an example http://www.pcgamer.com/valkyria-chronicles-pc-port-analysis-durantes-verdict/

Sega usually does a good job with PC ports. Ever since acquiring Creative Assembly, Sega has been increasingly focusing on the PC market.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

@Alucard_Prime said:
@acp_45 said:
@Alucard_Prime said:
@Jag85 said:
@acp_45 said:

I know what you mean, I do remember looking at some Berserk Manga years ago and thinking how amazing the art style was, it's very dark and gritty as well which is an aspect of the series that isn't well represented overall in the new series. However some scenes are better than others I would say, but overall it's not very good quality, I remember watching anime from more than 20 years ago that had better quality of animation.

I'll look into the Manga again at some point, it's been a while so maybe my perception will probably be different now. Thanks