Japanese game creators>>>>>Western game creators

• 112 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Am i alone in thinking that Japanese game creators still have their mind set on areas of gaming that really counts. I mean, we can debate whether or not their dominance is a thing or not, but what we cannot ignore is the fact that they still create the right gaming experiences. Devs at Nintendo still manage to make old franchises feel new, MGS games continue their proven path, platinum games are becoming an industry class, from Software as well with the Dark Souls games among many others i fail to mention.

I am of the impression that western game creators are more focused on how to make money first, then decide how to design the game around that philosophy in comparison to the games from japan which focus on game first, then the money after. Maybe i am alone with this thinking, share your thoughts?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Eh. NO.

All these developers were/are miles better and relevant than any *** dev over there.

Bioware, when they were good (Baldur´s Gate 1/2, The KOTOR, Mass Effect 1/2, Dragon Age),

Interplay (Fallout 1/2)

Rockstar (GTA 1-5)

Bethesda (Fallout 3, Skyrim, Dishonored)

Eidos (Deus Ex 1/3, Thief 1/2/3, Commandos 1/2/3)

Naughty Dog (Uncharted 2, TLOU)

Bungie (Halo 1/2/3/4)

Ubisoft Montreal (AC2, AC:Brotherhood, AC:Black Flag, Far Cry3)

CD Project (Witcher 1/2)

Blizzard (Warcraft 1/2,3, StarCraft 1/2, WoW, Diablo 1/2)

Valve (Half Life 1/2, Portal 1/2, Left4Dead 1/2, Counter Strike)

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

omg! I think exactly the same thing, almost word by word! specially the part where you said western devs prioritize on how can they sell a game first while Japanese devs prioritize on how are they gonna make the game a good experience, but ofcourse not all devs

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

@j_assassin said:

omg! I think exactly the same thing, almost word by word! specially the part where you said western devs prioritize on how can they sell a game first while Japanese devs prioritize on how are they gonna make the game a good experience, but ofcourse not all devs

Eh sure...like Capcom that ruined RE franchise and doesn´t stop milking Street Fighter or Square Enix that ruined Final Fantasy...

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#5 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Bethesda published dishonored, not dev it I thought. Halo 4 wasn't Bungie

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

both make wonderful games, but the Japanese dev's need to get back to what they are good at (the majority of them) and nintendo still go from strength to strength on the gameplay front where as squeenix are too desperate to capture a western market who just want final fantasy games as good as the golden days and a shift away from the terrible games like xiii.

both sides of the coins have their good and bad, but this gen its been a more prominent push in western developers making good games sicne the whole stigmatism bout gaming being geeky,niche etc has finally started dying off in the mainstream.

Not to mention a western companies product as one of the market leaders in the US and some european territories last gen would have helped the western devs gain a bit more ground aswell.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

@j_assassin said:

Eh sure...like Capcom that ruined RE franchise and doesn´t stop milking Street Fighter or Square Enix that ruined Final Fantasy...

like I said, not all devs, there are still some Japanese devs who tries to westernize their games and fail

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#8 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

EAD Tokyo>>>>>>>>> everyone except storytelling

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

If it was 1986 you would be right. But it is 2014 and western devs are seen as a joke.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#10  Edited By Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49566 Posts

Yep, you're alone in that thinking.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

If it was 1986 you would be right. But it is 2014 and western devs are seen as a joke.

If anything... I feel you accidently mixed those two up..

Western developers in 1986?

Japan dominated for a long time it has not been until recently that the western style of games has started taking over....

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

@j_assassin said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

@j_assassin said:

like I said, not all devs, there are still some Japanese devs who tries to westernize their games and fail

There's nothing "western" about trying to milk a franchise. Capcom has been doing it since the 16-bit era, remember all the street fighter games?

Both Japanese and Western developers focus too much on micro-transactions. Hell remember that the Sega Dreamcast was the first console to include "DLC" that was already on the disc, by a Sega game of all things.

I'd say Western developers are generally superior these days with more games, more genres and an overall better quality

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rilpas

@WitIsWisdom said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Japan dominated for a long time it has not been until recently that the western style of games has started taking over....

I think he got them mixed up too, but just as a clarification, Western developers were pretty strong in 1986, it's just that they made computer games instead of consoles games

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

As much as i like ff and mgs no just no.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@megaspiderweb09: i actually like both for different reasons. The Japanese market usually come up with some crazy type of games like Catherine, Seaman, etc..while American games continue to cater to my childhood gaming enthusiam. I like both Eastern & Western RPG's. So for me it's pretty close. I'd say I play 60% Western & 40% Eastern games.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

@j_assassin said:

Yeah and SquareEnix recently announcing that Tomb Raider: Definitely Edition will be $60. lol!! Why, it's the same game with some minor extra content and a higher resolution. Japanese developers and publisher are more about the money today then when they were back in the 1980's. when it cost them just a couple $100K to make one game.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

What is the right gaming experience? It's much more a preference thing and varies from person to person. I used to like many Japanese games back in the Nintendo-Sega days. But, I started finding Western games more appealing and gradually tilted towards the latter. Nowadays, I barely look at Japanese games except for those I play with my kids.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

No,not even close.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

They make the best horror games. There's really no debate about that.

Also Zone of The Enders: The 2nd Runner is one of my top 3 all time favourite games.

So yeah to some extent I do enjoy Japanese games a lot I just wish more were localised, like the Gundam games :(.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rilpas

@misterpmedia said:

They make the best horror games. There's really no debate about that.

Also Zone of The Enders: The 2nd Runner is one of my top 3 all time favourite games.

So yeah to some extent I do enjoy Japanese games a lot I just wish more were localised, like the Gundam games :(.

When was the last good horror they made?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@rilpas said:

@WitIsWisdom said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I think he got them mixed up too, but just as a clarification, Western developers were pretty strong in 1986, it's just that they made computer games instead of consoles games

That is true, but the majority of them were not that great in my opinion and several were knock offs or rehashed rehashes... lol

I don't really even consider PC gaming when I think of gaming in general... I separate console and PC gaming as two separate commodities.

I think it is safe to say that Western games are A LOT more known and prevalent now then they were over 20 years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I'm with you OP.

This was true maybe 5-10+ years ago, but these days Japanese devs are pretty close to dead. Which is unfortunate because I prefer Japanese-made games rather than the same crap that Western ones provide every holiday.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

There's a certain something about Japanese developed titles that just doesn't jibe with me. Resident Evil 5, MGR Revengeance, Lost Planet 2- the list goes on- there is just something a little... off... in the presentation. They just don't feel natural in their execution. The funny thing, though, is that I never noticed it- that is, I would never stop and realize the game I was playing was a Japanese title- until this generation.

And to the dude complaining about Street Fighter, remember that there were 5 different versions of Street Fighter 2- Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior, Championship Edition, Hyper Fighting, Super Street Fighter 2, and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

The4thVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 The4thVIII
Member since 2013 • 420 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

Japan dominated for a long time

No they really didn't.

The4thVIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 The4thVIII
Member since 2013 • 420 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

This was true maybe 5-10+ years ago

That's even more untrue than 1986.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Well, Atlus is one of the best publishers/ devs in the business. I have loved every product of theirs that I have played, although I haven't played nearly as many as I would like. I also dig JRPGs, and other Japanese type games. That being said, most (not all) of the games on my 360 are by western devs, and I enjoy the majority of them. Overall, though I'd say I like Japanese a bit more.

Although I find that a lot of the "big name" western devs are really overrated, especially ones like Rockstar, who can make incredible technical achievements but not fun games.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

Lol no.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Maybe 20+ years ago this would have been arguable. Now it's not even close.

Sorry TC, but Western devs pretty much outpace Japanese devs in every way for a long time now.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

From my experience yes

Japan: super polished and focused on quality gameplay and design. It feels like they develop a good gameplay experience first then build the setting and story around it.

Western: less polished and focused on either too many elements or a cinematic experience over a strong gameplay foundation. It feels like the plot and setting is developed first and then the stick the gameplay in after.

Of course this is a massive generalization and I love a lot of devs from both sides (my two favourite devs are actually western), but overall this is how I feel about it.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Japan will never be on top again unless they actually make an attempt at modernizing their games. There are no excuses for having clunky, terrible UIs and outdated gameplay in 2014

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Japan will never be on top again unless they actually make an attempt at modernizing their games. There are no excuses for having clunky, terrible UIs and outdated gameplay in 2014

Compare the UI from a game like Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World to the UI of your average Xbox One first party game. It's no contest. Japanese do UI better. And outdated gameplay? How does gameplay become outdated?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

....... only true of nintendo. mot of Sony's SUCCESSFUL first parties are western.

how can you even say this when japan just churns out same old JRPGs? that have done CRAP this generation. other than nintendo, and say dark souls? and the occasional tales games...

japan is becoming less relevant outside of handhelds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Willy105 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Compare the UI from a game like Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World to the UI of your average Xbox One first party game. It's no contest. Japanese do UI better. And outdated gameplay? How does gameplay become outdated?

.... really.... mario is such a simple game getting it wrong would be special bus material.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

On average? no

Their best stuff can easily compete with the best triple A western game. In fact I usually prefer it.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

On average? no

Their best stuff can easily compete with the best triple A western game. In fact I usually prefer it.

*scratches head* anything in the last few years? The souls games maybe?

Also what you're talking about is maybe 1 or 2 Japanese games for every 10, maybe 20, hell even 30 Western games and people can point to certain niche games that 20 people care about and safe in the knowledge that no one else has played and scream "What about this?!?" in reply, but we all know that those aren't to the same production standards.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Naw, they are both really good and generally bring a different flavour to gaming. I like both. When they are both on the top of their game, they are pretty equal.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Yep, you're alone in that thinking.

This pretty much.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#41 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19511 Posts

@The4thVIII said:

@WitIsWisdom said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

No they really didn't.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9159905.stm

"In 2002, it is estimated that Japan accounted for nearly 50% of the world's gaming market. That has now fallen to around 10%"

I think the figures above speak for themselves. Japan did dominate the gaming industry for a long time, even in 2002, let alone 1986... But what's even more surprising is how its market share declined almost four-fold in under a decade.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jg4xchamp

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@jg4xchamp said:

On average? no

Also what you're talking about is maybe 1 or 2 Japanese games for every 10, maybe 20, hell even 30 Western games and people can point to certain niche games that 20 people care about and safe in the knowledge that no one else has played and scream "What about this?!?" in reply, but we all know that those aren't to the same production standards.

I'm talking best against best. Great on great. Bayonetta was fantastic, the Galaxy games were fantastic, Zelda is a very good game this year, The Souls games are a givenl, Catherine is a very unique game, Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter were excellent fighting games, valkyria chronicles and when in the **** do I care about production value? I'm not of the mindset that every year has 5-10 great games. It's more like 2, maybe 3 on a really amazing year. Otherwise it's more really good stuff, than great.

And the good stuff this gen on average is in the wests favor. But The best of the best games this gen, I think Japan had a healthy for one country vs all those other regions. Especially when the best work from the West if anything was stuff from the indie side and not their triple A production value games that are purely flash over substance in the game design department. Nevermind their desire to tell me a shitty videogame story. I'm not arguing quantity, that goes without saying. I'm saying that of the games I found great this past gen, there were plenty of Japanese games that I felt more than held their own.

Plus popularity? really? Come on blue, you're better than this.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@Jag85 said:

@The4thVIII said:

@WitIsWisdom said:

@FoxbatAlpha said:

No they really didn't.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9159905.stm

"In 2002, it is estimated that Japan accounted for nearly 50% of the world's gaming market. That has now fallen to around 10%"

I think the figures above speak for themselves. Japan did dominate the gaming industry for a long time, even in 2002, let alone 1986... But what's even more surprising is how its market share declined almost four-fold in under a decade.

Yep... thanks for pulling that out man. I would have done the work, but didn't know if it was worth my time... lol

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Always found it odd to compare Japan to pretty much the rest of the gaming world (America, Europe, Canada, etc.)

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Depends on what you want really:

If you want a great game that has good gameplay and a compelling enough story concept to get you through = Japanese

If you want your games to start being like every American film with cheesy one liners and explosions. And you want to play with friends via multiplayer = western

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@jg4xchamp said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@jg4xchamp said:

On average? no

I'm talking best against best. Great on great. Bayonetta was fantastic, the Galaxy games were fantastic, Zelda is a very good game this year, The Souls games are a givenl, Catherine is a very unique game, Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter were excellent fighting games, valkyria chronicles and when in the **** do I care about production value? I'm not of the mindset that every year has 5-10 great games. It's more like 2, maybe 3 on a really amazing year. Otherwise it's more really good stuff, than great.

And the good stuff this gen on average is in the wests favor. But The best of the best games this gen, I think Japan had a healthy for one country vs all those other regions. Especially when the best work from the West if anything was stuff from the indie side and not their triple A production value games that are purely flash over substance in the game design department. Nevermind their desire to tell me a shitty videogame story. I'm not arguing quantity, that goes without saying. I'm saying that of the games I found great this past gen, there were plenty of Japanese games that I felt more than held their own.

You brought up "triple A", so I was responding to that :P

Many of my fav games recently have comparably bugger all production value - Football manager, Crusader Kings 2, FTL, XCOM, Bloodbowl etc (you should check out how many hrs I've blown on some of those on steam, almost all in single player lol ) along with some of the bigger ones like TW and GTA.

Also in no list ever should Blehomehta ever be used close to the words "great" and/or "best" without the addendum "definitely not the". As a list though I don't think those stack up over the same time period as even close to what you're seeing in the US, let alone the West as a whole. Of course, at the end of the day its all down to personal taste.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

maybe 15 years ago but JPN devs have been irrelevant for nearly 10 years now.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@Ghost120x said:

Depends on what you want really:

If you want a great game that has good gameplay and a compelling enough story concept to get you through = Japanese

If you want your games to start being like every American film with cheesy one liners and explosions. And you want to play with friends via multiplayer = western

Please don't confuse all western games with consolised shooter/action games...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jg4xchamp

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@jg4xchamp said:

On average? no

You brought up "triple A", so I was responding to that :P

Many of my fav games recently have comparably bugger all production value - Football manager, Crusader Kings 2, FTL, XCOM, Bloodbowl etc (you should check out how many hrs I've blown on some of those on steam, almost all in single player lol ) along with some of the bigger ones like TW and GTA.

Also in no list ever should Blehomehta ever be used close to the words "great" and/or "best" without the addendum "definitely not the". As a list though I don't think those stack up over the same time period as even close to what you're seeing in the US, let alone the West as a whole. Of course, at the end of the day its all down to personal taste.

Oh yeah, i meant triple A more like the big you know the industry way of saying "triple A game". You know the 60 dollar retail game that better sell buckets to make back its money. And yeah man FTL is dope as ****.

Again if we're arguing quantity? the west won by a landslide of pure good games and even more great games(probably). But my top 10 would have a healthy showing of Japanese games. And yeah **** Bethesda. Average ass developer being paraded around as something impressive.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

@jg4xchamp: Well as my top 10 would pretty much all be strategy and WRPG's + RDR I'm guessing we'd very different lists and prob why we have different views :D

EDIT although the walking dead might sneak in there. Top 10 lists are really tough for me!