Japan Sales: PS4 and PS Vita Dead

  • 117 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2014 (May 05 - May 11)

01./01. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch <RPG> (Level 5) {2013.07.11} (¥4.800) - 58.988 / 949.513 (-16%)

02./02. [3DS] Mario Golf: World Tour <SPT> (Nintendo) {2014.05.01} (¥4.937) - 24.086 / 82.829 (-59%)

03./05. [3DS] Mario Party: Island Tour <ETC> (Nintendo) {2014.03.20} (¥4.800) - 17.944 / 370.132 (-27%)

04./03. [PSV] Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.04.24} (¥6.664) - 13.589 / 177.177 (-49%)

05./04. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call # <ACT> (Square Enix) {2014.04.24} (¥6.264) - 12.002 / 112.665 (-52%)

06./06. [3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe <ACT> (Nintendo) {2014.01.11} (¥4.800) - 9.556 / 610.561 (-14%)

07./14. [3DS] Puzzle & Dragons Z <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥4.400) - 7.339 / 1.395.663 (+12%)

08./12. [WIU] Wii Party U # <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.10.31} (¥4.935) - 6.607 / 730.494 (-1%)

09./15. [3DS] Pokemon X / Y # <RPG> (Pokemon Co.) {2013.10.12} (¥4.800) - 6.371 / 4.362.714 (+0%)

10./16. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 6.334 / 1.152.119 (-1%)

HARDWARE:

Nintendo 3DS: 40,068 (42,647)
PS Vita: 17,888 (25,606)
PS4: 8,680 (11,692)
PS3: 8,099 (9,917)
Wii U: 8,065 (8,217)
PSP: 1,609 (1,906)
Xbox 360: 198 (146)
Wii: 108 (126)

#2 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -
#3 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Japanese devs need to hurry their asses up and drop last gen.

#4 Posted by lamprey263 (22413 posts) -

Wow, 3DS outsells PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and PSP combined; Go Nintendo!

#5 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

Wow, 3DS outsells PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and PSP combined; Go Nintendo!

I did not realize that- the 3DS literally outsold everything else put together.

#Nintendomination

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

Japanese devs need to hurry their asses up and drop last gen.

They have- the bulk of quality Japanese support is now on 3DS and to a lesser extent, Vita. Both of them are new gen devices.

#7 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8131 posts) -

^ and 360 with Wii combined too

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -
#9 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2559 posts) -

Wow PS4 barely beat PS3 and Wii U. Yikes.

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

lolJapan

If they switched to mobile gaming instead of real dedicated gaming devices, than they'll miss out.

Good thing this is about handhelds and not mobiles then :o

#11 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

Japanese devs need to hurry their asses up and drop last gen.

They have- the bulk of quality Japanese support is now on 3DS and to a lesser extent, Vita. Both of them are new gen devices.

Le crie :(

#12 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

PS4 > Wii U

#13 Posted by shawn30 (4288 posts) -

Wow, 3DS outsells PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and PSP combined; Go Nintendo!

Ouch!!!

#14 Edited by AzatiS (6975 posts) -

Wii U dead as well .... You dont even mention that right ? lol PS3 > Wii U in Japan ... Nintendomination... rofl!

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

What a week this was for Nintendo. To put this in some perspective:

  • 3DS>PS4
  • 3DS>PSV
  • 3DS>PS3
  • 3DS>PSP
  • 3DS>PS4+PSV+PSP+PS3
  • 3DS+Wii U>PS4+PSP+PSV+PS3
  • Nintendo>PlayStation

#16 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Good thing this is about handhelds and not mobiles then :o

What do you mean ? These sales are really low, just like your last japan sales thread. Except for 3DS sales.

Japan has switched to mobile gaming.

#17 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

Wii U dead as well .... You dont even mention that right ? lol PS3 > Wii U in Japan ... Nintendomination... rofl!

Wii U is dead, we already know that and established it a year ago, and we've laughed at it for over a year. The fact that PS4 barely outsold it, however (and that it is still in fact tracking below it) is what is worth mentioning at this point.

But sure, if you want to beat a horse that has been dead for seventeen months now, then yeah, lolWiiU

#18 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@charizard1605 said:

Good thing this is about handhelds and not mobiles then :o

What do you mean ? These sales are really low, just like your last japan sales thread.

Japan has switched to mobile gaming.

It's more of a contraction than anything- the PS2, DS, and Wii eras brought in a shit ton of casuals to the market, who have now all migrated, which has led to a stunningly alarming decline. But the 'core' Japanese market still remains.

#19 Edited by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

Xbox 360 > Wii

#20 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

PS Vita > Wii U

#21 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

It's more of a contraction than anything- the PS2, DS, and Wii eras brought in a shit ton of casuals to the market, who have now all migrated, which has led to a stunningly alarming decline. But the 'core' Japanese market still remains.

Ok, than I'll change what I said to: 'casuals will miss out'

but even on PS2, DS and Wii they did, so it's not much of a chance. Alright ! :D

#22 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16000 posts) -

RIP Wii U

#23 Posted by Vatusus (4223 posts) -

Still better than the WiiU

#24 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

RIP Wii U

@Vatusus said:

Still better than the WiiU

Wii U is dead, we already know that and established it a year ago, and we've laughed at it for over a year. The fact that PS4 barely outsold it, however (and that it is still in fact tracking below it) is what is worth mentioning at this point.

But sure, if you want to beat a horse that has been dead for seventeen months now, then yeah, lolWiiU

#25 Posted by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

Damn PS4...

#26 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2559 posts) -

I am beginning to wonder if Microsoft should even bother launching in Japan. Japanese consoles aren't selling there. What makes them think their console will?

#27 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

I am beginning to wonder if Microsoft should even bother launching in Japan. Japanese consoles aren't selling there. What makes them think their console will?

There is in fact precedent for a company with a shitty track record managing to sell a lot of consoles in Japan out of the blue.

#28 Posted by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

I am beginning to wonder if Microsoft should even bother launching in Japan. Japanese consoles aren't selling there. What makes them think their console will?

At least it won't launch at the yen equal of $500 now.

#29 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3264 posts) -

ps4 sales will pick up when some japanese orientated games release. vita however will remain dead

I am beginning to wonder if Microsoft should even bother launching in Japan. Japanese consoles aren't selling there. What makes them think their console will?

kinect? titanfall?

#30 Edited by TwistedShade (3119 posts) -

So uh...is Nintendo still doomed cows?

#31 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16000 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

RIP Wii U

@Vatusus said:

Still better than the WiiU

@charizard1605 said:

Wii U is dead, we already know that and established it a year ago, and we've laughed at it for over a year. The fact that PS4 barely outsold it, however (and that it is still in fact tracking below it) is what is worth mentioning at this point.

But sure, if you want to beat a horse that has been dead for seventeen months now, then yeah, lolWiiU

No need to get defensive dude, just accept that Nintendo's console failed on its own home turf. Ouch.

#32 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7931 posts) -

Wow the only thing that sales in Japan are handhelds. Even the ps vita which is called dead is selling better than ps4 and wiiu combined

#33 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Not getting defensive at all. It did fail. it's a failure. Not just in Japan, but worldwide.

However, will you be as accepting of the facts and accept the Vita was an equally big, if not bigger, failure? ;)

#34 Edited by AzatiS (6975 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@AzatiS said:

Wii U dead as well .... You dont even mention that right ? lol PS3 > Wii U in Japan ... Nintendomination... rofl!

Wii U is dead, we already know that and established it a year ago, and we've laughed at it for over a year. The fact that PS4 barely outsold it, however (and that it is still in fact tracking below it) is what is worth mentioning at this point.

But sure, if you want to beat a horse that has been dead for seventeen months now, then yeah, lolWiiU

Nah , considering PS4s big guns are not out yet while current library is really unappealing , specially for Japanese gamers ... i dont see anything wrong here.

Now on the other hand , to compare handhelds with consoles to call it Nintendomination ... Well PS3 > Wii U , theres nothing to dominate here , in fact thats really sad considering Wii U has some of the big guns out and yet losing from a "dead" console as PS3.

Nintendomination = Nintendo = 3DS and Wii U. Call it 3DSDOMINATION and then noone can deny that !

#35 Posted by LordQuorthon (5242 posts) -

PS3 beats Wii60 once again.

#36 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16000 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Not getting defensive at all. It did fail. it's a failure. Not just in Japan, but worldwide.

However, will you be as accepting of the facts and accept the Vita was an equally big, if not bigger, failure? ;)

Vita is no where near a failure than the Wii U. It's selling 2x as much as the Wii U. And Nintendo has developed AAA 1st party titles for it. So that's pretty bad, dude. Nintendo will be sweeping the Wii U under a rug pretty soon. #WiiUdead

#37 Posted by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@charizard1605 said:

@AzatiS said:

Wii U dead as well .... You dont even mention that right ? lol PS3 > Wii U in Japan ... Nintendomination... rofl!

Wii U is dead, we already know that and established it a year ago, and we've laughed at it for over a year. The fact that PS4 barely outsold it, however (and that it is still in fact tracking below it) is what is worth mentioning at this point.

But sure, if you want to beat a horse that has been dead for seventeen months now, then yeah, lolWiiU

Nah , considering PS4s big guns are not out yet while current library is really unappealing , specially for Japanese gamers ... i dont see anything wrong here.

Now on the other hand , to compare handhelds with consoles to call it Nintendomination ... Well PS3 > Wii U , theres nothing to dominate here ...

And why would we not consider handhelds, especially given all of Japan's big games come to handhelds anyway? Just because the 3DS is beating Sony combined does not mean you exclude it, you accept it and move on.

The fact that the PS4 does not have any 'big guns' in Japan is the problem- what exactly is coming up for it that you think will help it move consoles this year?

#38 Edited by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Not getting defensive at all. It did fail. it's a failure. Not just in Japan, but worldwide.

However, will you be as accepting of the facts and accept the Vita was an equally big, if not bigger, failure? ;)

Could you really say the Vita was a failure in japan?

Sig

___

#39 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3157 posts) -

Top kek, lems.

Xbone doesn't stand a chance.

#40 Posted by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Not getting defensive at all. It did fail. it's a failure. Not just in Japan, but worldwide.

However, will you be as accepting of the facts and accept the Vita was an equally big, if not bigger, failure? ;)

Vita is no where near a failure than the Wii U. It's selling 2x as much as the Wii U. And Nintendo has developed AAA 1st party titles for it. So that's pretty bad, dude. Nintendo will be sweeping the Wii U under a rug pretty soon. #WiiUdead

Lol. No, the Vita is not selling more than the Wii U. The Vita outsells Wii U in Japan, but the Wii U more than compensates for that, three times over, just in North America alone (sales in Europe only add to the lead). Cumulative LTD for Wii U is higher than it is for Vita. Vita sales are so shit Sony won't even give us its updated sales numbers at all. As for Nintendo having developed 'AAA first party titles' for Wii U... which ones? Donkey Kong? Pikmin? A port of a ten year old game? The only 'AAA title' Nintendo actually has released for Wii U so far was 3D World, and that did see an increase in the console's hardware sales as well, which should only continue to go up when Kart and Smash release.

So, just accept the Vita's failure. Or I see you don't have the simple level headed rationality to accept that a product you like failed, which I at least do :)

#41 Posted by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Not getting defensive at all. It did fail. it's a failure. Not just in Japan, but worldwide.

However, will you be as accepting of the facts and accept the Vita was an equally big, if not bigger, failure? ;)

Could you really say the Vita was a failure in japan?

Sig

___

Yes? Its LTD in Japan more than two years after its launch is less than 3 million sold. Just because it is selling marginally better than it used to (and because it is selling better than everything else, which is somehow selling even shittier) does not mean it was a 'success'

Perspective, people. You all need it.

#42 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16000 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Not getting defensive at all. It did fail. it's a failure. Not just in Japan, but worldwide.

However, will you be as accepting of the facts and accept the Vita was an equally big, if not bigger, failure? ;)

Vita is no where near a failure than the Wii U. It's selling 2x as much as the Wii U. And Nintendo has developed AAA 1st party titles for it. So that's pretty bad, dude. Nintendo will be sweeping the Wii U under a rug pretty soon. #WiiUdead

Lol. No, the Vita is not selling more than the Wii U. The Vita outsells Wii U in Japan, but the Wii U more than compensates for that, three times over, just in North America alone (sales in Europe only add to the lead). Cumulative LTD for Wii U is higher than it is for Vita. Vita sales are so shit Sony won't even give us its updated sales numbers at all. As for Nintendo having developed 'AAA first party titles' for Wii U... which ones? Donkey Kong? Pikmin? A port of a ten year old game? The only 'AAA title' Nintendo actually has released for Wii U so far was 3D World, and that did see an increase in the console's hardware sales as well, which should only continue to go up when Kart and Smash release.

So, just accept the Vita's failure. Or I see you don't have the simple level headed rationality to accept that a product you like failed, which I at least do :)

Even Japan won't support the Wii U. Vita is destroying it 2-to-1 on Home turf. That's pretty bad, dude.

#43 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Not getting defensive at all. It did fail. it's a failure. Not just in Japan, but worldwide.

However, will you be as accepting of the facts and accept the Vita was an equally big, if not bigger, failure? ;)

Vita is no where near a failure than the Wii U. It's selling 2x as much as the Wii U. And Nintendo has developed AAA 1st party titles for it. So that's pretty bad, dude. Nintendo will be sweeping the Wii U under a rug pretty soon. #WiiUdead

Lol. No, the Vita is not selling more than the Wii U. The Vita outsells Wii U in Japan, but the Wii U more than compensates for that, three times over, just in North America alone (sales in Europe only add to the lead). Cumulative LTD for Wii U is higher than it is for Vita. Vita sales are so shit Sony won't even give us its updated sales numbers at all. As for Nintendo having developed 'AAA first party titles' for Wii U... which ones? Donkey Kong? Pikmin? A port of a ten year old game? The only 'AAA title' Nintendo actually has released for Wii U so far was 3D World, and that did see an increase in the console's hardware sales as well, which should only continue to go up when Kart and Smash release.

So, just accept the Vita's failure. Or I see you don't have the simple level headed rationality to accept that a product you like failed, which I at least do :)

Even Japan won't support the Wii U. Vita is destroying it 2-to-1 on Home turf. That's pretty bad, dude.

You're right. And in spite of that, Wii U outsells it. That's pretty bad.

#44 Edited by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Not getting defensive at all. It did fail. it's a failure. Not just in Japan, but worldwide.

However, will you be as accepting of the facts and accept the Vita was an equally big, if not bigger, failure? ;)

Could you really say the Vita was a failure in japan?

Sig

___

Yes? Its LTD in Japan more than two years after its launch is less than 3 million sold. Just because it is selling marginally better than it used to (and because it is selling better than everything else, which is somehow selling even shittier) does not mean it was a 'success'

Perspective, people. You all need it.

I though finances were actually how success was determined which in that case in japan the vita technically is a decent success.

#45 Posted by MBirdy88 (7133 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Wow, 3DS outsells PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and PSP combined; Go Nintendo!

I did not realize that- the 3DS literally outsold everything else put together.

#Nintendomination

The number one reason why I , and apparently the big Japanese devs outside of nintendo find Japan's interests to be irrelevant.

Such a shallow limited form of gaming... 3DS and Phone games... shoot me now.... such a limited palette.

#46 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -
@MBirdy88 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lamprey263 said:

Wow, 3DS outsells PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and PSP combined; Go Nintendo!

I did not realize that- the 3DS literally outsold everything else put together.

#Nintendomination

The number one reason why I , and apparently the big Japanese devs outside of nintendo find Japan's interests to be irrelevant.

Such a shallow limited form of gaming... 3DS and Phone games... shoot me now.... such a limited palette.

3DS. Limited.

Yeah, okay.

#47 Edited by MBirdy88 (7133 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lamprey263 said:

Wow, 3DS outsells PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and PSP combined; Go Nintendo!

I did not realize that- the 3DS literally outsold everything else put together.

#Nintendomination

The number one reason why I , and apparently the big Japanese devs outside of nintendo find Japan's interests to be irrelevant.

Such a shallow limited form of gaming... 3DS and Phone games... shoot me now.... such a limited palette.

3DS. Limited.

Yeah, okay.

1 analog stick, dinosaur technology.... dual screen that hasn't really improved the gaming experience beyond "oh look, you can have a menu on another screen" ... yes it is limited charizard. don't get me wrong... there are some great games... but again limited by every other damn factor.

An entire country that use to be a massive player is now playing limited touch/ds controllable games and pretty much ignoring the console/pc market which can offer everything those damn platforms can game-genre-type wise and then a trillion more... yes thats a damn limited perspective of gaming.

Are we still pretending its amazing aswell? please... a handful a game a year AA/AAA if we are lucky.... most of which are dumbed down versions of what would be a BAJILLION times better on the Wii-U or elsewhere.

my god the Pokemon lag in 3d mode ... wtf is this...

#48 Posted by tormentos (16388 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Wow, 3DS outsells PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and PSP combined; Go Nintendo!

I did not realize that- the 3DS literally outsold everything else put together.

#Nintendomination

My god everything was down compare to the week before,i guess the only alive console was the xbox 360 which sold a few more units than the week before..

What a week this was for Nintendo. To put this in some perspective:

  • 3DS>PS4
  • 3DS>PSV
  • 3DS>PS3
  • 3DS>PSP
  • 3DS>PS4+PSV+PSP+PS3
  • 3DS+Wii U>PS4+PSP+PSV+PS3
  • Nintendo>PlayStation

My god is this how you will go on in history,.? as a shadow of your self hyping miserable portable sales because is the only thing you have left.?

#49 Edited by santoron (7404 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: Not getting defensive at all. It did fail. it's a failure. Not just in Japan, but worldwide.

However, will you be as accepting of the facts and accept the Vita was an equally big, if not bigger, failure? ;)

Not an accurate statement, if you're looking for truth.

Sony's handheld has sold at a profit from day one, is generally recognized as having developed a strong library, and has posted strong software sales for the install base size. It's struggling mightily to gain traction in a collapsing handheld market, but it's been a critical and financial success for the company, no matter how its install base compares to the competition.

The WiiU has Lost money on basically every console sold (they claim the losses stop going forward) and is repeatedly called out for few quality first party titles and a dearth of third party development. It's found almost no way to attract gamers despite being the lowest priced of the current consoles and its full year on the market with only older consoles as competition. Those older consoles are still consistently outselling it to this day. Nintendo is hopeful they'll stop taking a loss on having to store unsold consoles this year, for the first time in a year, and they aren't even currently making any consoles. The Dreamcast outsold it by about 2:1 over the same timespan. There's simply no metric that allows one to look at the WiiU as anything but one of the greatest failures in video gaming history.

Take the goggles off and look at the real world. Neither system is a world beater, but Nintendo would take the Vita's performance to date over the WiiU's in a heartbeat.

#50 Edited by charizard1605 (54313 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

@charizard1605 said:
@MBirdy88 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@lamprey263 said:

Wow, 3DS outsells PS4, PS3, PS Vita, and PSP combined; Go Nintendo!

I did not realize that- the 3DS literally outsold everything else put together.

#Nintendomination

The number one reason why I , and apparently the big Japanese devs outside of nintendo find Japan's interests to be irrelevant.

Such a shallow limited form of gaming... 3DS and Phone games... shoot me now.... such a limited palette.

3DS. Limited.

Yeah, okay.

1 analog stick, dinosaur technology.... dual screen that hasn't really improved the gaming experience beyond "oh look, you can have a menu on another screen" ... yes it is limited charizard. don't get me wrong... there are some great games... but again limited by every other damn factor.

An entire country that use to be a massive player is now playing limited touch/ds controllable games and pretty much ignoring the console/pc market which can offer everything those damn platforms can game-genre-type wise and then a trillion more... yes thats a damn limited perspective of gaming.

Are we still pretending its amazing aswell? please... a handful a game a year AA/AAA if we are lucky.... most of which are dumbed down versions of what would be a BAJILLION times better on the Wii-U or elsewhere.

my god the Pokemon lag in 3d mode ... wtf is this...

The hardware isn't ancient. It's a pretty damn powerful handheld, the Vita happens to be better hardware.

The big AAA Japan games still exist, and they are often better on handhelds than they are on consoles. Are you going to say that Resident Evil 6 was better than Revelations, just as an example?

And lol at bringing up Pokemon to make your point about the 3DS's so called deficiencies. Game Freak sucks as a technical developer. You would know this if you have played their older games. The lag in Pokemon is down to Game Freak, not the 3DS. Or are you just going to ignore games like Resident Evil Revelations, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, Kid Icarus Uprising, Super Mario 3D Land, and Tekken 3D Prime?