Iwata: Wii U's Faith Rests in Super Mario 3D World

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Iwata: Wii U's Faith Rests in Super Mario 3D World (87 votes)

Can Him 72%
Keep Him 28%

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/31/iwata-thinks-super-mario-3d-world-will-be-the-key-game-to-drive-wii-u-sales/

"Fortunately the year end sales season is an opportunity in which various members of the gamily are likely to take an interest in Nintendo's home console."

Nintendo's president also though Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 would turn the Wii U around.

• 
SonofK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#51  Edited By SonofK
Member since 2013 • 1088 Posts

This could of been the Wii U's online killer App but Nintendo is ran by a group of idiots, I'm not giving them my money. They'll rehash the same game over and over again without putting in online play, this could of been up there with Smash Bros and Mario Kart and would of made the Wii U's online library more appealing.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Didn't he promise to quit? What happened there?

I really don't see this Mario game making a difference on sales, I mean I'm not saying it won't be fun or anything like that, but I really don't see it making any huge increase in Wii U sales beyond the expected uptick from holiday sales.

On the other hand, I can see a lot of Wii Us selling this Christmas, not by an increase in demand, but I can see a lot of people unable to get an X1 or PS4 just picking up a Wii U in the meantime; that thought has definitely crossed my mind.

manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#53 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

I think sales have the potential to pick up when people are inevitably disappointed with the launch of next-gen consoles (there's really not many good games at all now that Watch Dogs and Titanfall have been delayed and I think OS/service issues are quite likely). Once that's set in Nintendo can be all "Look, Smash Bros and Mario Kart at 1080p, 60fps" and surprise everyone with the quality of their software.

I still highly doubt it's possible for Nintendo to meet their ridiculous sales target, though. Mario won't be enough to draw attention this holiday (even though it does look amazing). It'll take a slow and steady release of quality titles to build momentum for the system.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm guessing that Wii-U could be the last Nintendo system to hook up to a TV. I think Nintendo will try and remain in the handheld market as long as they can as that's what they're good at.

I had the same feeling about Dreamcast and was right when Sega confirmed they were backing out of the hardware market.

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By MajesticShea
Member since 2013 • 730 Posts

Nintendo needs to scrap the Wii U.

Release a new console with a 1.4 teraflop GPU+ 4gb DDR5 and become focused on core games and media like Netflix/Hulu. Kee to pro controller and make it standard. All for 329.00.

They should make the architecture 1:1 with PC so developers don't have to do a damn thing to the console thus no development costs meaning most 3rd party support. Of course piracy would be a problem and IP fragmentation and the way to combat that would to include a chip that is needed to recognize Nintendo games.

They should call it. Nintendo: S

Ads would be like: get the all new Nintendo S for 329 this holiday!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@majesticshea said:

Release a new console with a 1.4 teraflop GPU+ 4gb DDR5 and become focused on core games and media like Netflix/Hulu. Kee to pro controller and make it standard. All for 329.00.

They should make the architecture 1:1 with PC so developers don't have to do a damn thing to the console thus no development costs meaning most 3rd party support. Of course piracy would be a problem and IP fragmentation and the way to combat that would to include a chip that is needed to recognize Nintendo games.

And this is why you're not running Nintendo.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#57  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@majesticshea said:

Be glad no one on System Wars is running Nintendo. Say what you want about Iwata, but there are too many stupid ideas that would make them look like tyrants.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Nintendo should have bit the bullet here. The WiiUs new bundle should INCLUDE Super Mario 3D World. For $299, I bet lots of gamers would pick up the system, not to mention parents for their children. It could even include Nintendo Land as well.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MonsieurX

@Heirren said:

Nintendo should have bit the bullet here. The WiiUs new bundle should INCLUDE Super Mario 3D World. For $299, I bet lots of gamers would pick up the system, not to mention parents for their children. It could even include Nintendo Land as well.

Their new includes NSMB U and Luigi DLC.

It's a great start

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@MonsieurX:

I suppose, but including a new game like 3D World would probably boost system sales by quite a bit.

Anyways, I think the next 6 months will really decide the fate of Nintendo. Smash Bros looks downright stunning on WiiU.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MonsieurX

@Heirren said:

@MonsieurX:

I suppose, but including a new game like 3D World would probably boost system sales by quite a bit.

Anyways, I think the next 6 months will really decide the fate of Nintendo. Smash Bros looks downright stunning on WiiU.

Pretty sure that NSMB Wii outsold Galaxy

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

$300 for 8 year old hardware with nothing to play except Mario rehashes. Why would anyone buy it?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 MonsieurX

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

$300 for 8 year old hardware with nothing to play except Mario rehashes. Why would anyone buy it?

Rehash post :(

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Took them long enough. How they were even losing money on it to begin with is a mystery. Ancient hardware with no bluray and only 32gb of storage. Just more proof they should go third party because they have no clue how to make a good console anymore.

It didn't take very long, actually. It hasn't even been out a year yet. The PS3 took over three years to generate a profit. And Nintendo's loss on the U at launch was very minimal, not the $300+ of the PS3.

The U uses a proprietary blu-ray disc for physical media, and allows any size USB HDD to be used as external storage (this includes those $80--100 2TB portable drives you can buy these days). These demands you have are unreasonable, as they would only increase the cost of the platform, furthering your complaint that they aren't making any money.

You don't seem fully capable of understanding even the simplest of business topics when it comes to the gaming industry.

And what good would them going third party do other than to satiate your desire to avoid contact with a platform that is designed for everyone, including children your own age? They generate a large chunk of their revenue from their platform sales, and in combination with making their games directly for their hardware, can improve the experience the player has at the same time. Going third party would likely put them out of business.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#65 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

If there is one thing I think the Wii u could offer, an app download that allows Blu Ray playback, for a fee of course. Leave it up to customers to decide if they want to spend extra, but at least the option is open.

MajesticShea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MajesticShea
Member since 2013 • 730 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@majesticshea said:

Ok champ.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 nintendoboy16

@hiphops_savior said:

If there is one thing I think the Wii u could offer, an app download that allows Blu Ray playback, for a fee of course. Leave it up to customers to decide if they want to spend extra, but at least the option is open.

That won't go anywhere.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Telekill said:

I'm guessing that Wii-U could be the last Nintendo system to hook up to a TV. I think Nintendo will try and remain in the handheld market as long as they can as that's what they're good at.

I had the same feeling about Dreamcast and was right when Sega confirmed they were backing out of the hardware market.

If I had a dollar for every time a clairvoyant made this prediction I'd be extremely rich. It's not happening anytime soon. The company has enough resources and successes to weather any failure that may come its way.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I hope it's a success... but not a great one.. just good enough to move forward. I think a major mario sucess game will eventually lead them to an even heavier mario concentrated console than what it already is. They have to let their costumers realize there's more than mario... it's a gaming console so it should do all sorts of games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 foxhound_fox
@hiphops_savior said:

Licensing costs for regional movie playback costs a fortune. They would have to charge for it, which is why they didn't include the feature in with the GAMING CONSOLE from the start.

Do you have a Blu-ray player? If you do, why do you want to ruin your console's disc drive with movie playback?

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Once I found out Iwata was the person behind nintendo since gamecube i became enraged. He should have been fired 10 years ago for creating that thing. Been downhill ever since for them. Wii U is the final nail in the coffin. And where do they go with their handhelds now that they admit the 3D feature failed? Sure the 3DS is and will be a huge success, but what about after it? Just more doom.

Consternated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Consternated
Member since 2013 • 848 Posts

I bought a Wii U to play this and a few Wii games I missed... Hell, beats anything exclusively on the PS4/Xbox One.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Mario will move some hardware but 2014 seems more important. Personally I'd be surprised if the WiiU sells more than the Gamecube over its lifetime.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

The game will sell decently, but it won't be moving millions of consoles. Sorry, but Iwata's time has come. Time for some fresh blood to take over.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By foxhound_fox

@stuff238 said:

Once I found out Iwata was the person behind nintendo since gamecube i became enraged. He should have been fired 10 years ago for creating that thing. Been downhill ever since for them. Wii U is the final nail in the coffin. And where do they go with their handhelds now that they admit the 3D feature failed? Sure the 3DS is and will be a huge success, but what about after it? Just more doom.

I'm pretty sure it was Yamauchi who was behind the GC.

Chrome-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#77 Chrome-
Member since 2009 • 1744 Posts

Went to my local Asda (major UK retailer) tonight and didn't see one WiiU game on sight.

It's really bad guys...

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MonsieurX

@Chrome- said:

Went to my local Asda (major UK retailer) tonight and didn't see one WiiU game on sight.

It's really bad guys...

http://direct.asda.com/Nintendo-Wii-U-Games/AD07010502,default,sc.html

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

It won't be enough, but it's going to be a nice start, as long as they keep releasing good games, the console will sell.

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80 sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts

I was suspect of the game thinking it was going to be rehashed rushed crap identical to Mario land 3DS. Had a look at a few trailers though and it does look a really good game actually.

sweeten16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By sweeten16
Member since 2005 • 2872 Posts

@MonsieurX: they had only just dance in my local asda pretty bad atleast sainsburys and Tesco still stock 4 or 5 games each.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#82  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Nintendo should ditch anyone making decisions about their games and hardware. Miyamoto and Iwata definitely included, their decisions are so damn old-hat that they are completely laughable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

Next Nintendo Direct should be interesting. They'll have to focus on 2014 titles and hopefully announce some new stuff.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Anecdotal evidence post: My local Wal Mart only has about ten PS3 and two Vita games on the shelf, but loads of Wii, Wii U, 3DS, DS and 360 games.

Conclusion: Sony is leaving the video game business.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#85  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@MirkoS77: There is a point to revisions since they tend to at least hit a moderate amount most of the time in relation to similar products, even if it's worse. Nintys WiiU unfortunately is not in good shape to the market so it really doesn't matter as it will be even worse than normal both ways.

Its a tough sell on being aggressive. They have lasted a long while doing what they do, and older businesses normally leans toward conservative in certain aspects since its engrained well into their makeup and tends to work. I agree that using a greater than average amount of that chest should be done, but getting the ball rolling again to at least a moderate level console wise should be priority over that. Of course using that money is needed to do that, but being aggressive on unknown prospects is partly what landed them here to begin with, so they need to slow down on larger spending until they understand the newer markets, the social and tech aspects of this Gen, and so on. This new info should serve them better on this console and for more momentum on the next, then more aggressive tactics can be done for stronger sales.

Actually... This strategy could get them to be more conservative after they get more stable, considering companies tend to like balance. At least they will look better to this new Gen and it wouldn't surprise me if some new ips come out.

TheKazfather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 TheKazfather
Member since 2013 • 193 Posts

well then, R.I.P. Pii U. :lol::lol::lol:

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 nintendoboy16

@Chrome- said:

It's really bad guys...

I wouldn't shop at ASDA for games anyway. The one I used to go to strips out the plastic of new games and takes the game out. I can understand when retailers do it with USED games, but NEW?

They treat their DVD and Bluray better (otherwise I wouldn't have bought Jackie Chan's Police Story there).

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 nintendoboy16

@foxhound_fox said:

@stuff238 said:

I'm pretty sure it was Yamauchi who was behind the GC.

Yep, it was. Iwata has took over leading the company early in the Cube's life though.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

My preorder for SM3DW is ready. Don't know if I wanna get TW101 or the new Zelda with it.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#90 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@stuff238 said:

Yamauchi was forced into retirement because of the whole debacle with the N64. Nintendo was already in decline long before Iwata was in charge.

Negro-y-Azul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Negro-y-Azul
Member since 2013 • 79 Posts

I don't know how they can say that. One game won't make or break a console. Nintendo needs to take a more comprehensive approach. Just about every aspect of the WiiU from advertising, to features. to games, to online, to price, has been confused or sub par. They need to fix a lot of problems, releasing one game (even if it was Super Mario Galaxy or Metroid Prime quality) won't fix it's problems.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@crimsonman1245 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Ninty needs new leadership. These guys seem completely lost when it comes to that system.

Getting rid of Iwata would be a waste of time, they would just replace him with another guy that would do the exact same thing. They need a complete overhaul in management with a modern day line of thinking.

They need to prepare for the transition to becoming a third party publisher, stop digging the whole deeper with hardware losses, console R&D and online network costs.

Nintendo is run by some very old dudes who wish to remain conservative and traditional.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#93  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Mario 3D World looks amazing. Hopefully it helps the Wii U pick up steam. Nintendo already lost all of its out-of-the-gate momentum and practically wasted their full year head start. So, they get to build up sales and awareness the hard way.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

@Heirren said:

@MonsieurX:

Pretty sure that NSMB Wii outsold Galaxy

By a long shot and for good reasons. For some of us, 2D Mario is simply better than 3D Mario. New Super Mario Bros, both DS and Wii, were a very clever move from Nintendo. The kind of stuff that seems obvious now "Duh, 2D Mario outsells 3D Mario becuz teh stupid cashulalz and teh nostalgia, durr, hurr," but back then, chances are most system warriors would have looked down on the idea like the shortsighted imbeciles that they are.

However, reusing the same assets and recycling the same aesthetics FOUR TIMES was just cheap and petty. Super Mario 1, 2, 3 and World all looked different, sounded different, felt different and introduced new gameplay elements that went way beyond a couple of power ups here and there. Hell, Super Mario World had far, FAR less power ups than Super Mario Bros. 3, but it still felt like it was PUSHING the franchise FORWARD.

2D Mario could very well be the mother of all killer apps. It almost singlehandedly made the NES what it was. It launched the DS to the stratosphere. It kept the Wii going even after Nintendo pretty much stopped caring about it. They just need to treat it with the respect and love that its fanbase and its gargantuan sales deserve. Can you imagine a 2D Mario game made with the same love and production values that they reserved for the Mario Galaxy games? You know, with the out of the box thinking, the impossibly amazing soundtrack, the ingenuity, the "Wow" factor. If a couple of phoned-in 2D Marios sold, what, 60, 70 million copies? and a buttload of Wiis and DSs, a 2D Mario game baked with some love and enthusiasm would make the Wii U a must-have.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#95 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Iwata saying this must really say how bad the Wii U is doing in sales hoping that it's flagship series can help the sales pick up but for one game it's not gonna really do much. You need an avalanche of games this fall to get a console going not just one even if it is Mario. Sunshine didn't help the Gamecube much.

Keva820

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Keva820
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

SMW3D will flop in one way or the other just like every other wii u exclusive

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#97 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

It's not lack of games that is keeping me from buying a Wii U, it is Iwatas complete lack of confidence in the system. Saying they can't compete with MS and Sony and stating that the future of yje console relies on this holiday season and one game makes me want to wait and see what happens with the console as opposed to buying something that will be dead shortly after I buy it.

I personally don't think SM3DW is really a savior, but I hope it is.