Iwata: Wii U's Faith Rests in Super Mario 3D World

• 95 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 11 months, 19 days ago

Poll: Iwata: Wii U's Faith Rests in Super Mario 3D World (87 votes)

Can Him 72%
Keep Him 28%

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/10/31/iwata-thinks-super-mario-3d-world-will-be-the-key-game-to-drive-wii-u-sales/

"Fortunately the year end sales season is an opportunity in which various members of the gamily are likely to take an interest in Nintendo's home console."

Nintendo's president also though Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 would turn the Wii U around.

#1 Edited by RossRichard (2350 posts) -

SM3DW looks like BS.

#2 Edited by AtariKidX (6244 posts) -

Good luck with that..........lolol

#3 Posted by Heil68 (43921 posts) -

Wont help enough.

#4 Edited by freedomfreak (39964 posts) -

I'll be sure to buy it.

#5 Posted by BPoole96 (22788 posts) -

One good game is not worthy of a console purchase. Nintendo needs to can Iwata and the Wii U and go back to the drawing board

#6 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@BPoole96 said:

One good game is not worthy of a console purchase. Nintendo needs to can Iwata and the Wii U and go back to the drawing board

All Iwata has to do is join Yakuza and use deceptive policies to get TP devs to lock into their system with only 3 games a year and then pretend they invented everything.

#7 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

I'll be sure to buy 10 Wii U's with 20 copies of 3D World then.

#8 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26126 posts) -

@BPoole96 said:

Good thing we have masterpieces like TW101 and Pikmin 3.

Definitely getting SM3DW day 1.

#9 Edited by FinalFighters (1425 posts) -

Sorry iwata but Mario isnt going to save the Nintendo brand this time.

#10 Posted by resevl4rlz (3276 posts) -

Nintendo Better Can Reggie

#11 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2415 posts) -

i'll be getting this after i get my ps4.

#12 Posted by silversix_ (14241 posts) -

Be ready sheep. This year's holidays will be worst than last year because absolutely everyone that care about gaming will be on xbone and pS4

#13 Posted by OhSnapitz (18295 posts) -

Ninty needs new leadership. These guys seem completely lost when it comes to that system.

#15 Posted by 1oh1nine1 (779 posts) -

Is there a new meme where "faith" is typed instead of "fate"? Just wondering, because it's stupid.

#16 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9029 posts) -

I just don't see the Wii U doing well because of one game, just because it is Mario. Mario 3D World isn't enough to stand against next gen consoles.

#17 Edited by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Ninty needs new leadership. These guys seem completely lost when it comes to that system.

Getting rid of Iwata would be a waste of time, they would just replace him with another guy that would do the exact same thing. They need a complete overhaul in management with a modern day line of thinking.

They need to prepare for the transition to becoming a third party publisher, stop digging the whole deeper with hardware losses, console R&D and online network costs.

#18 Edited by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

Iwata also said Wii Party U would help sales this holiday.

#19 Posted by superbuuman (2754 posts) -

It won't meet Nintendo's expectation. :P

#20 Edited by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Mario is fun and all, but the system is in dire need of some completely new games and characters. They've been relying on Mario for 20 damn years...

#21 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3534 posts) -

I can see it moving a lot of consoles. It's a Mario game, afterall.

#23 Edited by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

@superclocked: Yes I want new IP's and characters. There can still be Mario, and Zelda but have Retro, Intelligent Systems, Next Level, Good Feel, etc work on new stuff.

#24 Posted by BranKetra (48414 posts) -

@BPoole96 said:

One great game can be. Metroid Prime was.

#25 Edited by Sweenix (5399 posts) -

It looks pretty great, although the no online kills it a bit.

#26 Posted by sailor232 (4575 posts) -

Yeah it will help but as in Wind Waker levels of help, a surge of sales for a month, that's it. There needed to be more than one game for the holiday period, It would had been perfect if Donkey Kong and Mario Kart came out for Christmas also, along side Boyonetta 2, then in 2014 have more must have titles.

#27 Edited by RogueStatus28 (513 posts) -

EAD1= Mario Kart 8

EAD2 (Animal Crossing dev)= New IP

EAD3= Legend of Zelda

EAD4 (Pikmin dev)= New IP

Tokyo2= 3D World

Intelligent Systems= New IP (Alongside SMTxFE with Sega)

Monolith Soft= X

Retro Studios= Tropical Freeze then Metroid

Sora Ltd= Super Smash Bros

GameFreak= Pokemon

Good Feel= Yoshi's Epic Yarn then New IP

Grezzo= Majora's Mask remake w/ Tokyo1

Monster Games= New IP

Next Level Games= Wave Race

Vanpool= New IP

This would be my ideal Wii U first/ second party list. Good mixture of classic franchises with enough new IP's.

#28 Posted by Ghost120x (3790 posts) -

EAD are gods of game design and no other dev can match their portfolio of AAAAE games. I have no doubts.

#29 Posted by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -

When I get my Wii U on the 15th, I'm getting the WWBundle, this when it comes out, and TW101. And the best part, if I don't have the cash, I can still play my Wii games and my favorite game, Xenoblade Chronicles.

#30 Posted by hiphops_savior (7874 posts) -

If you are in Iwata's shoes, what are you going to do? Western publishers care about money, the Japanese market for home consoles are dead, and Sony has already cut into your niche with indies. Nintendo cannot compete with Sony or Microsoft, they simply do not have the capital to do so. Stock investors are also pressuring you to go into smartphone gaming, which would only mean short term gain (which suits the investors just fine) but mean long term disaster.

Not to mention how Yamauchi destroyed Nintendo's reputation with third parties.

#31 Posted by MirkoS77 (7319 posts) -

If you are in Iwata's shoes, what are you going to do? Western publishers care about money, the Japanese market for home consoles are dead, and Sony has already cut into your niche with indies. Nintendo cannot compete with Sony or Microsoft, they simply do not have the capital to do so. Stock investors are also pressuring you to go into smartphone gaming, which would only mean short term gain (which suits the investors just fine) but mean long term disaster.

So.......Nintendo's basically screwed. Right. A company with 9 billion in the bank can't compete, much less survive.

Best to let them die as it'll never be their fault for their failure.

#32 Posted by hiphops_savior (7874 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@hiphops_savior said:

So.......Nintendo's basically screwed. Right. A company with 9 billion in the bank can't compete, much less survive.

Best to let them die as it'll never be their fault for their failure.

This is the HD generation, you know, where companies such as Atari and THQ went down under. Stakes are so much higher this gen than it was for Sega during the Dreamcast and the Saturn.

You could argue that Sony is in bigger trouble, but the thing is that Sony is losing money through their motion pictures division. Microsoft can throw money everywhere as long as Windows remain the standard OS and they make decent peripherals.

#33 Posted by mems_1224 (46934 posts) -

Super Mario 3D World looks soooo good. If they can put out a few more good games then Im definitely getting a Wii U next year.

#34 Edited by VendettaRed07 (14003 posts) -

Nintendo doesn't seem to understand the fact that word of mouth and what a game actually ls or plays like doesn't matter to most people who buy games.

lt has to look different with a name that makes it sound different in order for something to seem new. The name of the game and the console is a clusterf@%$.

Them being able to hype and push units could be fixed with some simple name changes. lf the wiiu was called the Wii 2, or the U, or something more distinct, lt would do better. lf this game was called something like Super Mario World 2, lt would do better. The fact that there have been so many random mario games with random names, people are going to hear it and just think lts just another mario. People like simple names with numbers. lt doesn't matter lf they are even correct, but people view lt as a more legitimate main series release when they do.

But because of the marketing of the game, that it doesn't at first glance, look any different than any mario that came before lt.. or look like something mario has never done, the name, and the name of the console, this wont be a system seller like the mario's of the past. Especially considering how Nintendo has released more mario games in the last few years than at any point in their history, this game will not seem unique or something that warrants the attention nintendo wants it to have.. lt was a massive mistake of them to have the holiday basically ride on this game when the previous holidays of the WiiU, and 3DS, also relied on Mario as the November game as well.

#35 Posted by bulby_g (1090 posts) -

It will help I'm sure. I think they will have an OK Christmas but not the sort of figures they are hoping for. Crazy really as the Wii U has a much better upcoming and existing library that the other two consoles combined IMO. They were just too late in bringing it all to the table.

#36 Posted by Negro-y-Azul (79 posts) -

I don't think it will save the WIiU. I doubt even a Galaxy 3 would do much for it, and 3D Land looks a lot worse than the Galaxy games.

They really needed some megaton games for the first year. No, ports and Pikmin aren't megatons.

Remember when 360 got Oblivion and Gears in it's first year? THOSE are games that sell consoles.

#37 Posted by Epak_ (6773 posts) -

It better have everything a proper Mario platformer should have then.

#38 Edited by MirkoS77 (7319 posts) -

500k systems sold in 6 months. The predict 8.5 MILLION to be sold in the remaining 6.

No game on Earth could sell that amount of hardware in such a timeframe, I don't care how great it is.

Nintendo, delusional as always.

#39 Edited by AznbkdX (3134 posts) -

@MirkoS77: Delusional? Not really. There is no reason to revise projections if both ways are bad regardless. A lot of investors already probably called BS on the projections, but any revision would also look bad as well. The decision they made doesn't really matter.

As for the SM3DW, I think it will move consoles but probably not enough to get good steam. They could try marketing again with it, but you have to look at marketing price compared to what you think you are going to sell. If they spend little they won't get much out there, but if they spend a lot, they risk losing money if the system doesn't sell well. The WiiU is one of those systems that unfortunately doesn't have the guarantee that it will sell well even with marketing, so they may use less than a big campaign.

Then again, they might put all the stops anyways regardless since they need it to be sustained and would be willing to dump some cash in one period. Or they could do it in a more conservative fashion to get their name out there without too much loss ala cellphone and internet ads.

#40 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25137 posts) -

Super Mario 3D World looks great, but to move Units? Gotta do better than that.

#41 Edited by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

A crap game with a ...plumer... as hero is going to help WiiU ?

More likely to burry it

Zelda is the key, that is the game they miss

#42 Posted by MirkoS77 (7319 posts) -

Yea, could be. I'm not sure what the point is of revising projections if that's the case though.

SM3SW will move consoles no doubt but I find Nintendo's facing a much larger problem that simply bringing out software will fix, and I've said it before and will say it again: people are losing interest and faith in Nintendo. They've really done such a terrible job in supporting the U that nobody except the hardest of the hardcore fans will pay attention. Marketing at this point as you said probably wouldn't be a wise expenditure as the amount of software they'll sell won't warrant it.

Nintendo's conservatism is what is killing them. Many say they need to act conservatively as, unlike Sony and MS, they are solely a gaming company and have nothing other to help absorb losses, but in my view that's exactly WHY they have to go all out and be as aggressive as possible in all areas. They can't afford to not utilized their warchest. Iwata's just not doing this. That he places so much faith in Mario alone is worrisome. It's like Nintendo wants to put in the least possible amount of effort and then expect the reap major profits. Ain't happening.

#43 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

@OhSnapitz said:

Getting rid of Iwata would be a waste of time, they would just replace him with another guy that would do the exact same thing. They need a complete overhaul in management with a modern day line of thinking.

They need to prepare for the transition to becoming a third party publisher, stop digging the whole deeper with hardware losses, console R&D and online network costs.

Will never happen. Their handheld division prints money.

#44 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

@crimsonman1245 said:

@OhSnapitz said:

Will never happen. Their handheld division prints money.

And their home console shreds it.

#45 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

This means there was poor management at the top. No company should have their flagship product's (in Nintendo's case it is the Wii-U) life be determined by a single factor. They need to reevaluate their situation and realize that something drastic needs to be done, even if the Wii-U does make it through until next year. This shouldn't happen to a company, especially one as large as Nintendo.

#46 Edited by foxhound_fox (88036 posts) -
@BPoole96 said:

One good game is not worthy of a console purchase.

Then it's a good thing it already has a couple and is getting several more in the next few months.

The true deciding games to the U's success or mere mediocre performance (it cannot "fail" at this point) are Smash Bros. U and Mario Kart U.

#47 Edited by foxhound_fox (88036 posts) -

That's funny you say that, since it is making a slight profit.

#48 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (5127 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

That's funny you say that, since it is making a slight profit.

Took them long enough. How they were even losing money on it to begin with is a mystery. Ancient hardware with no bluray and only 32gb of storage. Just more proof they should go third party because they have no clue how to make a good console anymore.

#49 Edited by CRUSHER88 (1151 posts) -

I'll buy it. Always down to play some more mario.

#50 Posted by finalstar2007 (25080 posts) -

Couldnt care less about this game but what i'd buy a WiiU for would be a full pokemon game similar to pokemon X but with HD graphics