Iwata: We Will Not Gouge Our Customers With Unfair DLC Practises

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (61736 posts) -

"We cannot, and should not, ask our consumers to embrace the situation where they are required to make excessive payments. Doing such things might be good for short-term profit, but it will not serve our mid-term and long-term business developments."

"I think, when the player has exhausted what's in an existing piece of software, when there are no more challenges and there is nothing more they can do, if we then introduce a new level or a new charactersomething new for themwe just increased their motivation to want to go back; we've also increased the amount of time they're going to enjoy that software. And one thing Nintendo has determined as a company policy, what we are not going to do is create a full game and then say, let's hold this back for DLC.' That's not our plan. We're definitely not doing that. It's an extreme example, but I think there are examples of games where you get that initial purchasethe very core part of the gameand everything else around it is all DLC. However, if you do that I believe customers will have no motivation to go out and buy the retail package to begin with."

"So our goal is to create DLC in such a way that consumers do not feel that they have been cheated or deceived. Now I believe there are people out there, readers, who have are worried about that, and we just want to ensure them that we have that in mind and want them to know that that's not what we are planning on doing."Kotaku
SOURCE
#2 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

It'll happen...eventually....

#3 Posted by Juken7 (626 posts) -

But they will gouge the consumer with overpriced digital games when compared to retail.

#4 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26256 posts) -

HjX0F.jpg

This shall become my standard post for anything Iwata.

#5 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10531 posts) -
They just dont have the $$$ for that or the full support of 3rd parties right now , but if they could, they would.
#6 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

why are you making 2 diffeent threads that link to the same source? Why not make 1 thread instead of spamming the forums with your nintendo fanboysim?

#7 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10531 posts) -

But they will gouge the consumer with overpriced digital games when compared to retail.

Juken7
and lets not forget how their first party games never go down in price.
#8 Posted by charizard1605 (61736 posts) -

why are you making 2 diffeent threads that link to the same source? Why not make 1 thread instead of spamming the forums with your nintendo fanboysim?

Chris_Williams
Why do you post in all my threads if it bothers you so much?
#9 Posted by Nengo_Flow (10531 posts) -

Chris_Williams
cuz by doing it this way, he gets to masturbate twice as much from it.
#10 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

charizard1605

Why do you post in all my threads if it bothers you so much?

I get xp for posting in threads even dumba** ones like this one. I'm trying to get that level up son

#11 Posted by LP4EVA2005 (8585 posts) -
hopefully this means IF they do happen to release DLC for there 1st party games it will be free.
#12 Posted by inb4uall (6519 posts) -

Chris_Williams

calls charzard a fanboy..... why hello pot....

Also charzard, they also had no "plans" for a 3DS revision ether so while I doubt they will release incomplete games and gouge the consumer it certainly isn't this man's words that leads me to believe this.

#13 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

inb4uall

thinks he isn't a fanboy... hello crack
#14 Posted by Ghost120x (4183 posts) -
They can say all they want. Many companies can say " we won't hold back content and sell it as dlc later" but the consumer will never know what goes on behind closed doors. I believe all dlc is intentional.
#15 Posted by charizard1605 (61736 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

inb4uall

Also charzard, they also had no "plans" for a 3DS revision ether so while I doubt they will release incomplete games and gouge the consumer it certainly isn't this man's words that leads me to believe this.

This is true... They also said Wii U wouldn't have Achievements xD Nintendo lies a lot now xD
#16 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Why do you keep flooding this place with the same threads?

And it's good to hear they won't do that, instead they will just release their games from previous gens onto the Wii U and make you buy them all over again. But I can't complain, Sony does the same thing too and I won't be a hypocrite.

But if the re releases improve the frame rate and resoultion and add in some new content ect....like PS3 HD collections do, I would be ok with it.

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (61736 posts) -

And it's good to hear they won't do that, instead they will just release their games from previous gens onto the Wii U and make you buy them all over again. But I can't complain, Sony does the same thing too and I won't be a hypocrite.

But if the re releases improve the frame rate and resoultion and add in some new content ect....like PS3 HD collections do, I would be ok with it.

ShadowMoses900
When did I ever post this same thread before?
#18 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

charizard1605

you made two different threads that link to the same source. Why not make 1 thread? you that bored?
#19 Posted by charizard1605 (61736 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

Chris_Williams

you made two different threads that link to the same source. Why not make 1 thread? you that bored?

Dude, you have no clue. I'm waiting for some crap to get done, but said crap requires no involvement from me, and I can't do anything else unless it's done... :?
#20 Posted by Maroxad (8738 posts) -

Nintendo said they wouldnt have DLC before, they also said no to achievements or a new edition of the 3DS

#21 Posted by inb4uall (6519 posts) -

[QUOTE="inb4uall"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"]

Chris_Williams

he has said multiple times his favorite home system was the PS3 and favorite handheld was DS and this gen its obviously the 3DS. He defends nintendo products because they are consistantly good products. You have a blind hate for anything not SONY it would seem. There was nothing but Sony and Microsoft threads there for a while. This is a nice change of pace. Deal with it.

#22 Posted by Seabas989 (11053 posts) -

I :lol: at the crybabies posting in this thread.

Anyways I'll believe it when I see it but hope they don't become like Capcom.

#23 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

Man some jimmies sure are getting rustled by a thread they can easily ignore.

On-topic, I do hope they keep their DLC fair and reasonable. We'll see in the future though.

#24 Posted by lamprey263 (25615 posts) -
good, I hope Nintendo puts more thought toward consumers with how they handle digital rights retention when it comes to the Wii U, they've done a lousy job thus far by tying all purchases to the hardware
#25 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34323 posts) -

I have nothing against DLC as long as it is "Downloadable" content and not "disc-locked" content, and as long as the extra content justifies the price.

Will be interested to see how Nintendo handles DLC.

#26 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22648 posts) -

hopefully they wont go overboard with the prices on those DLC levles in NSMB 2.

Anything over 5 bucks for 15 levels is highway robbery

#27 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28088 posts) -
Please Nintendo. No one wants to see you pull the same DLC stunt Capcom, EA, and Activision pull off.
#28 Posted by locopatho (21065 posts) -
Makes sense. Look at how Bethesda and Rockstar do DLC. That's the best way to do it.
#29 Posted by charizard1605 (61736 posts) -
Makes sense. Look at how Bethesda and Rockstar do DLC. That's the best way to do it.locopatho
Yep. Those two, and Valve, are the only companies that know how to do DLC right, IMO.
#30 Posted by super600 (31124 posts) -

Don't believe IWata kinda, but I also know they won't do this.

#31 Posted by istreakforfood (7781 posts) -

Juken7
Beat me to it. Taking his comment with grain of salt. I will believe it when I see it.
#32 Posted by stizz- (728 posts) -

I think they don't intend to do the things we hate with DLC, but the way the business of extra content works out they will probably have to start implementing things like Day 1 DLC. The reason other companies do it is because people burn through game quickly and either sell it back to EB or put it on a shelf and never look back. DLC that comes out several months after a game releases sells much worse than DLC that gets there day 1 or in the first couple of weeks. Its difficult to come up with quality content quickly so in order to hit that window most companies develop the content along side the main game (or just section off existing content to sell later). Ninty will realize this quickly--if they haven't already--and will do what is the most profitable. This isn't the first time Ninty has said they wouldn't do something only to wind up doing it soon after.

#34 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (8173 posts) -

They just dont have the $$$ for that or the full support of 3rd parties right now , but if they could, they would.Nengo_Flow

You're kidding, right? Nintendo made a stupidly huge amount of money with DS and Wii, and even pulled profit from the Gamecube back in the day. Financially, they're still fine, and I imagine they could afford whatever the hell they want.

#35 Posted by StealthMonkey4 (7036 posts) -

But they will gouge their customers with overpriced giant tablet controllers.

#36 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="inb4uall"] calls charzard a fanboy..... why hello pot....

inb4uall

he has said multiple times his favorite home system was the PS3 and favorite handheld was DS and this gen its obviously the 3DS. He defends nintendo products because they are consistantly good products. You have a blind hate for anything not SONY it would seem. There was nothing but Sony and Microsoft threads there for a while. This is a nice change of pace. Deal with it.

lol, get off his nutts, man.
#37 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

Seabas989
:lol:
#38 Posted by charizard1605 (61736 posts) -
[QUOTE="inb4uall"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] thinks he isn't a fanboy... hello crackChris_Williams

Yeah, the guy who stalks me and makes it a point to call me out in every single one of MY threads is asking someone else to get off my nuts... Bit rich coming from you, Chris.
#39 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="inb4uall"] he has said multiple times his favorite home system was the PS3 and favorite handheld was DS and this gen its obviously the 3DS. He defends nintendo products because they are consistantly good products. You have a blind hate for anything not SONY it would seem. There was nothing but Sony and Microsoft threads there for a while. This is a nice change of pace. Deal with it.charizard1605

Yeah, the guy who stalks me and makes it a point to call me out in every single one of MY threads is asking someone else to get off my nuts... Bit rich coming from you, Chris.

hey man, its nothing but love from my end.
#40 Posted by Seabas989 (11053 posts) -

[QUOTE="Seabas989"]

Chris_Williams

:lol:

:lol: I'm not the one crying.

#41 Posted by Blake135 (3994 posts) -

They will *Gouge* their consumers, their a company just like any other.

#42 Posted by deu5ka175 (434 posts) -

ShadowMoses900
You have been making the same threads and post for over 6 months now. How many times have you said "PS3 multiplats look just as good!." And your spam isn't even true.
#43 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

Is that Nintendo's official excuse for having a crummy eshop?

#44 Posted by GamerEye (1607 posts) -

It's good to hear them say that, but really, only time will tell.

#45 Posted by Big_Pecks (5623 posts) -

DLC confirmed, whether they like to admit it or not.

#46 Posted by silversix_ (16233 posts) -
To even dream about getting DLC's you need an HDD :lol:
#47 Posted by GamerEye (1607 posts) -

Gxgear

:?

I don't see how DLC (un-needed/ or forced DLC) would make the eShop any better. Though, imo, I like the eShop

#48 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
[QUOTE="Juken7"]

Nengo_Flow
and lets not forget how their first party games never go down in price.

this and that. having nsmb DS at full price after how many years is a disgrace.
#49 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gxgear"]

GamerEye

:?

I don't see how DLC (un-needed/ or forced DLC) would make the eShop any better. Though, imo, I like the eShop

Did I say DLC?:?

#50 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26408 posts) -

Well so far it seems that we shouldn't expect "Capcom DLC" from Nintendo and that's a good thing.