Iwata. The WiiU is not in good shape.

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by SolidTy (43327 posts) -

@super600 said:

Iwata bascially admitted today that the WiiU is a massive failure.I hope they actually try something else besides a price drop before they get rid of the console for good.He also talked about rebuilding nintendo and how the wiiu's failure will be considered during this rebuilding process.

More can be found in this link

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/satoru_iwata_admits_the_wii_u_isnt_in_good_shape_ahead_of_investor_briefing

What percentage of massive failure would you assign the Wii U?

100% massive failure or merely 20%?

#52 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7151 posts) -

There always has to be failed consoles. I loved my CDi, but no one else did.

#53 Posted by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -

@superbuuman said:

Gamepad-less Wii U (with pro controllers) & price drop on the way. :P

Whats the point of killing the gamepad tablet???

#54 Edited by kinectthedots (1930 posts) -

Now that they realize this they need to bite the bullet, accept the loses (similarly to sony last gen) and do their damndest to bring out the best games possible on the system they have for the remainder of the generation.

They could turn around their situation by bringing out unavoidably outstanding games and going balls to the wall investing on new IPs other than their tried and trusted franchises of old. I think that is the best and only true way to deal with the situation now. Anything else will most likely only hurt their reputation with current wiiU owners.

#55 Edited by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

Now that they realize this they need to bite the bullet, accept the loses (similarly to sony last gen) and do their damndest to bring out the best games possible on the system they have for the remainder of the generation.

They could turn around their situation by bringing out unavoidably outstanding games and going balls to the wall investing on new IPs other than their tried and trusted franchises of old. I think that is the best and only true way to deal with the situation now. Anything else will most likely only hurt their reputation with current wiiU owners.

There arent enough Wii U gamers to matter. They dont have 33% of the market, they are a niche company, with a niche fanbase. Its good that people are seeing that the Wii was fluke, because where are all those Wii fans now???

#56 Edited by whatsazerg (211 posts) -

@superbuuman said:

They can't... too many games have the touch screen integrated... that would be a stupid & pointless move... thank goodness you're not in business.

#57 Edited by superbuuman (2847 posts) -

@Coolyfett said:

@superbuuman said:

Whats the point of killing the gamepad tablet???

Its what costing the system..its really expensive ($150+?)...the system itself can only support 2 max (locally) -> family system so at best only 2 people can use the gamepad the rest use pro controllers?...& so far Nintendo haven't made use of it in their titles & when it is use it doesn't add anything. ZombiU makes good use of it, W101, & Lego City..the rest pretty much meh. Pikmin 3 better played with wiimote + nunchuck..even DKC:TF looks like it will be better played on pro controller/wiimote + nunchuck.

Without gamepad you can drop the price more, & have a uniform controller - pro controllers (supports 4) or wiimote + nunchucks (supports 4) no need to do more work/waste time programming for different type controllers.

Only now Iwata have stated they will have more gamepad focus games ..I'll wait & see..if its continue to be as it is (not much of a game changer) then I'll continue to be anti gamepad. :p

#58 Posted by Jag85 (4490 posts) -

Funny how gamers keep going on about Nintendo's doom... yet Sony is the one in bigger trouble financially, with its stocks taking a bigger hit than Nintendo just a few days ago.

#59 Edited by KBFloYd (13670 posts) -

@Stringerboy said:

Fire the man for Christ sake Nintendo.

lol...he is nintendo...he has to fire himself.

#60 Posted by darkspineslayer (19694 posts) -

Why was this bumped?

I was going to post a slowpoke meme, before realizing that given the TC, that would be mean to slowpoke.

#61 Posted by coasterguy65 (5969 posts) -

It's time for Nintendo to start making gaming consoles again, instead of gimmick consoles.

They were real lucky with the Wii. They thought they could sell the WiiHD at the same level. The problem is that those same casuals that flocked to the Wii because it was the cool thing, have moved on to phone games now.

#62 Posted by Vaasman (11427 posts) -

Lightning can't strike the same place twice Nintendo. Next time, maybe don't sell your console entirely on the gimmick.

#63 Posted by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -

@whatsazerg said:

@superbuuman said:

They can't... too many games have the touch screen integrated... that would be a stupid & pointless move... thank goodness you're not in business.

It was a curious remark, lets give that poster a change to actually why they want the Gamepad dead and replaced with Nintendos basic controllers. The Wii Mote was a nice controller they should have just created a more advanced motion controller. Coolyfett tried to use the Wii Mote one time and it felt like a foreign alien hardware.

#64 Posted by superbuuman (2847 posts) -

@Coolyfett said:

@whatsazerg said:

@superbuuman said:

It was a curious remark, lets give that poster a change to actually why they want the Gamepad dead and replaced with Nintendos basic controllers. The Wii Mote was a nice controller they should have just created a more advanced motion controller. Coolyfett tried to use the Wii Mote one time and it felt like a foreign alien hardware.

They should have gone with that, an improved wiimote. I like the wiimote.

#65 Edited by MirkoS77 (7499 posts) -

Dun dun dun dun!!! Keen powers of observation, Iwata. Guess that's what $240 million in losses will finally help you understand. Now let's hear your empty promises that will never happen. God I hope Nintendo can weather this tool for as long as he's CEO.

#66 Posted by Cyberdot (3537 posts) -

Good to see the CEO being honest about his products.

#67 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

Ah well, Wh3n Nintendo drops out the market that just leaves Sony who cant build a Console which will last longer than a year before skmething breaks knside or MS who over charge for online and anything to do with their console. PC gaming seems better and better.

#68 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7151 posts) -

Consumers in response to iwata: We know.

#69 Edited by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

Despite the improved software on the system, I need a price cut to make it worthwhile for me. I want to enjoy some of the newer games, but the value proposition just isn't there. I have been gaming on the PC & 3DS recently, and they have met my needs.

#70 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16612 posts) -

Oh comon

@super600 said:

before they get rid of the console for good.

What crap is this ?

#71 Posted by KBFloYd (13670 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Oh comon

@super600 said:

What crap is this ?

i think he is trying to bait nintendo haters into the thread...thats all

#72 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16612 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Oh comon

@super600 said:

What crap is this ?

i think he is trying to bait nintendo haters into the thread...thats all

I expected better from super600

#73 Posted by super600 (30664 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Oh comon

@super600 said:

What crap is this ?

The WiiU's last year will most likely be 2016 unless it makes a massive recovery.

#74 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4792 posts) -

@super600 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Oh comon

@super600 said:

What crap is this ?

The WiiU's last year will most likely be 2016 unless it makes a massive recovery.

you think they would berry the wii u?

#75 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7280 posts) -

@super600 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Oh comon

@super600 said:

What crap is this ?

That wouldn't be too bad. The tech is going to feel way too outdated by 2017, anyway.

#76 Posted by Mario1331 (8826 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

THis is part of why I will not get a Wii U. I don't want to buy one just to have it get discontinued.

why would it get discontinued?

#77 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16612 posts) -

@super600: Lol, it's only starting to get some real games this year, and in 2 years it's going to get dicontinued ? No, I don't believe that. And if this console really has a life cycle of less than 4 years, that would piss off a lot of people that bought it.

#78 Posted by super600 (30664 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@super600: Lol, it's only starting to get some real games this year, and in 2 years it's going to get dicontinued ? No, I don't believe that. And if this console really has a life cycle of less than 4 years, that would piss off a lot of people that bought it.

The WiiU will be around until at least the end of 2016.

#79 Posted by nini200 (9802 posts) -

Well Nintendo sure did drop the bullet this time.