Iwata: Nintendo's future will be determined this holiday

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

What a sad company and pathetic console, really.

But the only one to blame is Nintendo themselves.

They're only true saving grace and spine holding them intact is the handheld business with 3DS.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#152 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Looks like they are screwed. Iwata and Nintendo are completely delusional if they expect the Wii U to compete with the Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 and PS3. The Wii U is the red headed step child of gaming, and this time their controller gimmick didn't appeal to casuals.

Private Hudson from Aliens can tell you Nintendo's future with one sentence. "Game over man, game over."

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#153 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Oh snap, could we be witnessing the next scrapped Nintendo System since Virtual Boy?

Considering Wii U still outsold that, that would cause quite an uproar.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#154 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

lol putting all their bets on cat mario 3d world...saying silly line..like "one game has the power to change everything" ain't going to help..this is reality not some movie/anime story. Mario 3D World will boost sales but won't be as much as Nintendo wanted, just as WW HD remake which they touted to be a triple A title. With this line "he said that he still didn't think a major strategic overhaul was needed." Mr. Iwata you need to go! time to step down.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#155 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Oh snap, could we be witnessing the next scrapped Nintendo System since Virtual Boy?

Considering Wii U still outsold that, that would cause quite an uproar.

Look, we agree in this thread for a change :P

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#156 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

I'm starting to fear that the $300+ I spent on a Wii-U wasn't worth it. I mean, it was always going to be a secondary console for me. I'm much more interested in PS4 and what games it'll have to offer but Nintendo still has great games love. Plus, the console isn't bad. It's actually pretty good. Just doesn't have games.

I hope Nintendo is able to recover but seriously, you can't leave the Wii-U empty for a year and then start shaking the console once in a while until some games start to fall out. You need software all year long to friggn' sell the damn console!

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773fff2ce4
deactivated-57d773fff2ce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#157 deactivated-57d773fff2ce4
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

I don't think anyone would deny that Nintendo can be fun. Or that their games aren't state of the art. But how fun? These days and possibly because of the economy people are tighter with their money. People want more addictive games that they will ring more value out of. Nintendo's accessible titles are their strong points for newcomers. But what does an old school gamer think about Nintendo's product line? They have tried strategies like getting Team Ninja to do a Metroid game. How far did it get them? How much money do gamers who try to support the Big 3 have to spend before they are noticed? The novelty Nintendo has usually hits with people that have never played Nintendo before. But what about people that have been through the generations. I'll end it here... Nintendo has printed money with it's stuff but where's the demand for what they are doing or have been doing in modern times?

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#158 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@Iridion-II said:

But what does an old school gamer think about Nintendo's product line? They have tried strategies like getting Team Ninja to do a Metroid game. How far did it get them?

Not sure if you had a point here.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

Only doom and gloom.

The Wiiu is in a bad situation, luckily Nintendo as a whole isn´t. They need to refocus the whole strategy of the WiiU. Or even admit it will be a second console for core gamers and a console for casuals. And a second console and a console for casuals should cost less. We all know it wont repeat the success of the Wii. But with a healthy lineup, which is coming, and another and more significant price drop next year, things could change to aim, and maybe surpass, GC sales.

That´s what I really hope for. I don't want them to be a handheld only company. Id rather see them going 3rd party. Or maybe who knows, the Sony'Nintendo alliance dream would come true.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d773fff2ce4
deactivated-57d773fff2ce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#160  Edited By deactivated-57d773fff2ce4
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@Iridion-II said:

But what does an old school gamer think about Nintendo's product line? They have tried strategies like getting Team Ninja to do a Metroid game. How far did it get them?

It wasn't much of a point. I just was wondering if people that have played since the NES or so care about the things they see Nintendo producing. Team Ninja is a great developer. Metroid isn't a bad franchise. This is Nintendo's idea of appealing to the core player. But how much demand did it have? We've seen this a few times with F-Zero GX by Amusement Vision (Sega) and Wario World by Treasure. Pikmin 3 was supposedly to be Miyamoto's promise to gamers. How much business did it really do besides satisfying a small sect who have nostalgia for it?

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#161  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

go 3rd party already, no one cares about Nintendo's consoles unless they are extremely cheap because they are good toys for children.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#162 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I do not anticipate Nintendo leaving the home console market anytime soon, but if the Wii U sales continue as poorly as they have been, I do expect a new console.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

So they're banking everything on ... Super Mario 3D World?

Good luck.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@daveg1:

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Nintendo doesn't understand the concept of mass market appeal. Sony and M$ have broad appeal because they don't cater to one specific demographic.

Most young kids don't want to play really kiddy games, they want to play games that they perceive as being mature, like COD and Killzone.

We have Nintendo saying "you are a kid, so here is a kiddy game," while what actually would sell is "you are a kid, so here is this really awesome shooter with blood and guns!"

They need to drop the Wii-U and create a console that is more similar to the PS4 and Xbone. Make people perceive it as more mature, and forget the old days of gimmicks and mario saving Princess Peach - at least for home consoles.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

I don't know if this was posted in the past but I really like what David Jaffe has to say here.

Loading Video...

It starts @6:50

This could be the only good solution if they are thinking about getting out of the console market.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#168  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@hoola said:

We have Nintendo saying "you are a kid, so here is a kiddy game," while what actually would sell is "you are a kid, so here is this really awesome shooter with blood and guns!"

I hope that day never comes.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By nintendoboy16

@HAZE-Unit said:

I don't know if this was posted in the past but I really like what David Jaffe has to say here.

Loading Video...

It starts @6:50

This could be the only good solution if they are thinking about getting out of the console market.

So, according to Jaffe, the only way for Nintendo to live is to sell-out? I remember when that interview first reared it's head in on GN.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#170 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

This is going to be a very interesting upcoming year for Nintendo. We're going to be seeing some drastic changes.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#171 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I see SM3DW selling quite a bit in Japan and pushing some units. North America not so much. So I'm not seeing much change happening in Nintendo's future.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Anyone wanna buy a WiiU? I think I played it for about 2 hours in 12 months.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#173  Edited By hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Horray .... soon , we will be able to play Bayonetta2 on ps4

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#174 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

I hope they remain in the console market. They do things differently It'd be a boring place without their hardware.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#175  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The Wii U is the only console with reasons to buy it. If the Wii U is doing this poorly I expect the PS4 and Xbox One sales to be even worse. If the Wii U sales are not just bad because it's a headstart, then I expect them all to become 'third party' after this generation. But that is better for everyone, right?
If you listen to GS or GT or GB or EBA almost none of the people there are really excited about these new consoles. They have to have them, and there might be cool stuff coming out in a couple years or so, but I don't think we've ever seen less excitement about new consoles than this generation. Consoles are done.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 nintendoboy16

@trugs26 said:

I hope they remain in the console market. They do things differently It'd be a boring place without their hardware.

Agreed. It'll feel like the Pixies and their world in Fairly Odd Parents.

TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts

@KungfuKitten: Just stop

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@TheKingIAm said:

No you should.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By nintendoboy16

@TheKingIAm said:

Pfft... lol

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#180 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@hoola: Sony and MS wishes they have a franchise with mass appeal. Sony wishes they have an icon as big as Mario or Master Chief.

There is a reason why Mario is considered the Mickey Mouse of Gaming (what you think of Mickey Mouse's relevance is a whole different story).

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#181  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@hoola said:

Nintendo doesn't understand the concept of mass market appeal. Sony and M$ have broad appeal because they don't cater to one specific demographic.

Most young kids don't want to play really kiddy games, they want to play games that they perceive as being mature, like COD and Killzone.

They need to drop the Wii-U and create a console that is more similar to the PS4 and Xbone. Make people perceive it as more mature, and forget the old days of gimmicks and mario saving Princess Peach - at least for home consoles.

The Common Misconception of Nintendo right now is that everyone has THAT mentality.

THAT Mentality meaning Nintendo Games = Kiddy Games or games that are for "Kids" (putting more emphasis on the parenthesis for this one).

Nintendo doesn't make games for Kids, It's obvious to that Extent within their own games and the Line Ups for the WiiU and 3DS. For these Systems for the most part they have shown games that they know would get the Gamer's interested.

3DS: Etrian Odyssey, Pokemon X & Y, Metal Gear, Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Mario Kart, Kid Icarus, Kingdom Hearts, Shin Megami Tensei, Fire Emblem

WiiU: Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, Splinter Cell, Batman, Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden, ZombiU, Call of Duty, Super Mario 3D World, Rayman

Those a games they have shown to us at Show cases of E3 and Nintendo Directs. These are Games they know Gamers would love to play and would love to have. However the Audience Nintendo wants is an Audience that's primarily killing the Industry.

The Audience that only goes for Looks and not the games. WiiU is failing because it's not "Next Gen" enough.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Iridion-II said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@Iridion-II said:

It wasn't much of a point. I just was wondering if people that have played since the NES or so care about the things they see Nintendo producing. Team Ninja is a great developer. Metroid isn't a bad franchise. This is Nintendo's idea of appealing to the core player. But how much demand did it have? We've seen this a few times with F-Zero GX by Amusement Vision (Sega) and Wario World by Treasure. Pikmin 3 was supposedly to be Miyamoto's promise to gamers. How much business did it really do besides satisfying a small sect who have nostalgia for it?

Pikmin 3 satisfied everyone who actually played it. Nobody has nostalgia for Pikmin. That's why it didn't sell. I have been playing video games since the Atari, and I can say without a doubt that the software Nintendo is putting out today is much better than it has been at any other point in their history.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#183 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

They've released too many mario games recently for Super Mario 3D world to have any sort of major impact. As fun as it looks lt doesn't look different enough for the public to get excited or run out and buy it.

They need bigger and better looking games.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@VendettaRed07 said:

They've released too many mario games recently for Super Mario 3D world to have any sort of major impact. As fun as it looks lt doesn't look different enough for the public to get excited or run out and buy it.

They need bigger and better looking games.

Like that stopped anyone from getting Assassin's Creed IV right?

1oh1nine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By 1oh1nine1
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts

@TwistedShade said:

Should really be (Iwata: My future will be determined by the holiday season.).

I came in here to say exactly this. Guy needs to get fired.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

@mrintro said:

If they had already released the games they have planned for 2014 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It will take more than just a few games.

They need to stop being last place for online interaction for gamers. They are absolute dead last in terms of online gaming compared to others.

All they do is re-release old titles, HD remakes, franchise sequels, and franchise spinoffs. They have no original ideas. Nintendos foundation is built on the mantra of "same old shit".

They need to stop trying to gimmick their way into big bucks. Yes the touch screen on the ds was a hit, yes the motion of the wiimote of was a hit, but because they had good reception with those two things now they base their business model around trying to capture lighting in a bottle with other gimmicks such as 3d and tablets. Well its obvious no one cared about 3d because 3d movies never took off and neither did gaming hence why Nintendo is selling the 2ds. The tablet ship sailed awhile ago because the newness of tablets is gone after 2 years of them flooding the market and nintendos tablet is so far behind it cant even handle multi touch input.

They need to be more open to third party developers.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Couth_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Couth_ said:

Hope they flop and go third party on consoles. It would be better for everyone really.

If it was better for everyone, one company and one company name wouldn't be in the s***hole they are in right now.

That one company and its name is in the shithole because its management did not handle the transition properly, which, in turn, happened because they had no money and so had to be bought out by another company, a soulless corporate drone, which led them to their current predicament.

Nintendo is not Sega. If Nintendo were to go third party, it would not be like Sega. Stop trying to point to one to paint anything about the other.

For the gamers it would be better. Instead of having to buy a shit console to play the handful of nintendo franchises that are worth a damn, you could play them on superior devices that people actually care to own. Game sales would increase as well. They could hit GTA type numbers on some of their blockbuster franchises

I can see it already:

E3 2014 SONY CONFERENCE: "But wait, we have one more announcement".. Mario or zelda comes out... so many tonnes of mega

Oh Ricky, so much wrong in your post

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Nintendo isn't going anywhere, and its not Nintendo's future he's talking about, It's all Iwata's future here. If they don't pick up this holiday, expect to see an empty chair in Nintendo's Board of Directors

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#190 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

At this point there are two outcomes I can see. The first being the WiiU has a good enough holiday season with it's lower price point and kid-friendly lineup to survive and keep Nintendo going forward with the WiiU. The second being the WiiU gets completely overshadowed by the PS4 and Xbox One, has a crappy holiday season, and forces Nintendo to make a major change.

It really looks like it's black and white.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

They just need to bide their time while Sony go bust and then they are back in the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if restructuring has already taken place. I bet sales will pick up, and then shortly after when the company is out of the red zone Iwata will announce he is "stepping down/retiring".

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 LegatoSkyheart

@Heirren said:

I wouldn't be surprised if restructuring has already taken place. I bet sales will pick up, and then shortly after when the company is out of the red zone Iwata will announce he is "stepping down/retiring".

Restructuring had been taken place a long time ago I thought.

I mean they merged their Handheld and Console divisions to one building. (unless I read that wrong.)

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#194  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Shottayouth13- said:

Good luck.

They are also banking on those three Wii Series games and that mario and sonic game which I expect to sell well.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It will get obliterated by ps4 and xbone. Save time, no need to wait for holidays, rethink your whole company strategy NOW. You had ZERO competition last year and you sold LOL worthy amount. In 2013 you'll get AC130'd by PS4 and thrown rocks at by Xbone.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Does Ninty even advertise the WiiU? I mean I dont think Ive seen many if any commercials for it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 LegatoSkyheart

@Capitan_Kid said:

Does Ninty even advertise the WiiU? I mean I dont think Ive seen many if any commercials for it.

PS4 and Xbox One would have overshadowed the Console anyway. (like it already has)

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

PS4 and Xbox One would have overshadowed the Console anyway. (like it already has)

Yeah but its better than nothing. It at least brings attention to it and shows they're trying.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

Maybe they should have tried advertising a year ago.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 PurpleMan5000

@super600 said:

@Shottayouth13- said:

Good luck.

They are also banking on those three Wii Series games and that mario and sonic game which I expect to sell well.

I'm actually kind of excited to get to play Wii Sports online.