Iwata: Nintendo's future will be determined this holiday

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

Nintendo Co. (7974.TO) racked up bigger-than-expected quarterly losses on tepid sales of its flagship Wii U game consoles, prompting its president to acknowledge that the time could be near for a status check on the company's strategy.

Making a rare appearance at a Wednesday press conference in Osaka to explain the company's earnings,

President Satoru Iwata said that the success of Nintendo's newest console and the future direction of the firm were riding on the performance of a slate of new games during the upcoming holiday sales season. Once those results were in, Nintendo executives would review them to decide "what the company needs to do, over the long-term, about its platform," Mr. Iwata said.

Mr. Iwata didn't elaborate further on options, although he said that he still didn't think a major strategic overhaul was needed.

Mr. Iwata's statement underscores the tremendous pressure the world's biggest videogame company is under to change its console-centric business model, as the videogame industry moves increasingly to a model where games are downloaded, and can move seamlessly between platforms -- including social networks, mobile phones, tablets, computers, and consoles. Sales of Nintendo's Wii U console, released in November last year, are extremely poor: In the six months through September, Nintendo had sold 460,000 units, just 5% of its 12-month target.

Investors and analysts are calling for the company to make its prized game franchises -- like "Super Mario," "Pokemon" and "Zelda" -- more widely available, and release them on mobile platforms. Some investors say releasing Nintendo's formidable content on mobile apps could double or even triple Nintendo's share price.

In the past, Mr. Iwata has said doing so could mean death for the company, which relies on the lure of its games to convince players to buy its hardware. On Wednesday, Mr. Iwata's stance appeared to have softened, although he still maintained that the company's fortunes could turn around with upcoming releases of key titles such as "Super Mario 3D World," "Wii Party U," and "Wii Fit U."

"One game has the power to change everything," Mr. Iwata said, smiling often during the meeting with reporters, which lasted almost an hour beyond the initially scheduled 30 minutes.

"Are we satisfied with these sales results? No. Is it impossible to recover from this? No."

Nintendo is struggling to adapt to a fast-changing world in which game apps on smartphones and tablet computers are capturing more of the casual players that had made its blockbuster Wii console and popular Nintendo DS handheld game machine fixtures in living rooms and children's backpacks around the globe. It also faces additional pressure from powerful, next-generation consoles to be rolled out by Sony Corp. and Microsoft Corp. in November.

A scarcity of compelling titles over the summer translated into a net loss of Y8 billion ($81.4 million) and an operating loss of Y18.4 billion for the second quarter of Nintendo's business year, ended Sept. 30. That's only a shade better than the net loss of Y10.8 billion and operating loss of Y18.8 billion posted for the same quarter a year ago.

The third straight quarterly operating loss puts Nintendo's target of Y100 billion in operating profit for the 12 months ending March 2014 further out of reach.

Mr. Iwata, who has said he is committed to the operating-profit target, put on a brave face, telling reporters that that target was still achievable.

Nintendo also kept its full-year sales forecast for Wii U consoles at 9 million units. Before the latest results were released, market consensus for Nintendo's full-year operating profit was Y67 billion.

In spurning smartphones and tablets, Nintendo has argued that its success is based on its ability to build its own hardware and provide a gaming experience not available elsewhere. It says that sharing that experience on smartphones may erase the company's unique edge, discourage people from buying Nintendo devices, and kill its game franchises.

I think- I hope- if push comes to shove, Nintendo exits the console market, but sticks to handhelds. The 3DS is doing great, and there is still a market for dedicated handhelds, a market that only Nintendo caters to. I do not see Nintendo ever releasing their games for other platforms though, although they might bring Virtual Console to iOS and Android if there is enough pressure on them.

SOURCE

#2 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11989 posts) -

GG Wii U.

Only Ubisoft came save the Wii U now.

#3 Posted by daveg1 (20342 posts) -

Simple GO THIRD PARTY!!

and dont under any reason make another console cos thet's face it..YOU SUCK AT IT!!!!

#4 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27924 posts) -

Man, people just love Nintendo to have a death wish, don't they?

#5 Edited by TheKingIAm (1531 posts) -

All the wii ewws will be buried in the desert by this time next year

#6 Posted by TheKingIAm (1531 posts) -

@daveg1: Exactly

#7 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

"Mr. Iwata didn't elaborate further on options, although he said that he still didn't think a major strategic overhaul was needed."

Good ole Nintendo

#8 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

If they had already released the games they have planned for 2014 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@daveg1 said:

Simple GO THIRD PARTY!!

and dont under any reason make another console cos thet's face it..YOU SUCK AT IT!!!!

lol

#10 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7828 posts) -

I wouldn't buy an expensive console or a smart phone to play Nintendo games. I guess I really wouldn't mind them putting their franchises onto the PC, though.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@mrintro said:

If they had already released the games they have planned for 2014 we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Yep.

Nintendo's biggest problem was releasing a games console... without games.

#12 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

That was somewhat sad to read. Anyways did anyone even care for Wii Party? Seems like their only hope is 3D land and Wii Fit U. I dont think those two are gonna do much to help though.They have competition now. If this was last year then things would be different.

#13 Posted by Bigboi500 (31002 posts) -

If Nintendo exits the console market, expect Japanese niche titles to all but disappear, only still existing in small sprinkles on Sony consoles with the majority of console games being Western multiplats.

With that being the case, why not play those kinds of games on PC? I believe that if Nintendo leaves the console market, consoles will become irrelevant and implode in a short time, offering nothing that PC gaming doesn't do, just inferior non-exclusive games and casual family entertainment.

Go buy a Wii U and save console gaming, or don't and let the market be restricted to Kinect titles and inferior military shooter multiplats.

#14 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

If Nintendo exits the console market, expect Japanese niche titles to all but disappear, only still existing in small sprinkles on Sony consoles with the majority of console games being Western multiplats.

With that being the case, why not play those kinds of games on PC? I believe that if Nintendo leaves the console market, consoles will become irrelevant and implode in a short time, offering nothing that PC gaming doesn't do, just inferior non-exclusive games and casual family entertainment.

Go buy a Wii U and save console gaming, or don't and let the market be restricted to Kinect titles and inferior military shooter multiplats.

Thats funny considering PS3 was and still is the place to find all the japanese niche games. Nintendo is the one that gets small sprinkles of that.

#15 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27924 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

I also expect them to be in a wobble position when that happens.

#16 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22587 posts) -

@Bigboi500: uh no...all niche japanese support will go to the 3ds and the vita (to a lesser extent)

Hell the wii u has no support whatsoever

#17 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Nintendo needs go theoufh entire revamp...

#18 Posted by Bigboi500 (31002 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Thats funny considering PS3 was and still is the place to find all the japanese niche games. Nintendo is the one that gets small sprinkles of that.

Your posts constantly tell of heavy bias toward Sony, so I don't take them seriously.

#19 Posted by Bigboi500 (31002 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Bigboi500: uh no...all niche japanese support will go to the 3ds and the vita (to a lesser extent)

Hell the wii u has no support whatsoever

Forgive me if I don't want all my Japanese games to be on shitty handhelds.

@nintendoboy16 After Ninty goes expect Sony to be the next targeted scapegoat of consoles.

Imagine only Microsoft consoles and gaming PCs in the industry, along with Japanese handhelds. Yuck.

#20 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Small niche games exist on the 3DS, PS3, and PS PS Vita. Actually, I don't think they exist on the Wii U in any capacity at all.

#21 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Your posts constantly tell of heavy bias toward Sony, so I don't take them seriously.

Doesnt make em any less true. Let me know when you can find Disgaea 3, Disgaea4, Legasista, Disgaea D2, Tales of Xillia, Tales of Xillia 2, Tales of Vesperia, Jojos Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle, Guided Fate Paradox, The WItch and the Hundred Knights, Battle Princess Arcadia, Hyperdimension series, Vesperia Chronicles, Anarchy, Reigns, J Stars Victory, etc etc. I could go on. Also I wouldnt say heavy bias.

The 3ds does have some but Ninty isnt really Niche central in my opinion.

#22 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27924 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Small niche games exist on the 3DS, PS3, and PS PS Vita. Actually, I don't think they exist on the Wii U in any capacity at all.

Well, there's Wonderful 101.

#23 Edited by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Well, there's Wonderful 101.

Which was funded by Nintendo

#24 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6628 posts) -

I wonder what they're going to do if sales don't meet expectations. Them going mobile would be terrible.

#25 Posted by Bigboi500 (31002 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

If I can't enjoy Nintendo franchises on consoles, then I'll probably quit gaming all together and find a better hobby.

I mean I enjoy Sony games, and their little indie niches, but they alone wouldn't satisfy me overall, and having to play Mario Kart and Super Mario platformers solely on handhelds just wont cut it for me.

#26 Edited by Infinite_Access (2482 posts) -

Love my WiiU - hardly play it though.

#27 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22587 posts) -

@Bigboi500: what the hell have you been playing the past 2 years then? All of Nintendo's greatest titles as of late have been 3ds games

#28 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

I wonder what they're going to do if sales don't meet expectations. Them going mobile would be terrible.

Probably slash Wii U prices, halt production, clear inventory, finish development of games in the pipeline, and reallocate all resources to the profitable and revenue generating 3DS.

@Bigboi500 said:

If I can't enjoy Nintendo franchises on consoles, then I'll probably quit gaming all together and find a better hobby.

I mean I enjoy Sony games, and their little indie niches, but they alone wouldn't satisfy me overall, and having to play Mario Kart and Super Mario platformers solely on handhelds just wont cut it for me.

At this point, there is no functional difference between a Nintendo game on a console or a Nintendo game on a handheld; as a matter of fact, of late, the handheld Nintendo games have been better than console entries. Fire Emblem Awakening was better than the Wii or Gamecube games; Animal Crossing New Leaf was better than City Folk; Mario and Luigi Dream Team was better than Super Paper Mario; Ocarina of Time 3D, while a remake was better than Skyward Sword; Pokemon X and Y is better than whatever shit is on the Wii or Wii U; Mario Kart 7 was much better than Mario Kart Wii.

In addition, Nintendo's handhelds get more original efforts, such as Kid Icarus: Uprising and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. They also get great entries in existing franchises such as Super Mario 3D Land (and from the looks of it, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds). They get incredible Japanese third party support (Dragon Quest VII, Bravely Default, Theatrhythm, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, Shin Megami Tensei, Etrian Odyssey, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts).

By any yardstick, a 3DS is a Nintendo console. It just happens to be portable.

#29 Posted by Couth_ (10307 posts) -

Hope they flop and go third party on consoles. It would be better for everyone really.

#30 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

Hope they flop and go third party on consoles. It would be better for everyone really.

This won't happen; if they flop, expect them to go handheld only for a while, before they regroup and probably return with a new console but with a different mindset (probably going back to the SNES/N64/GCN philosophy)

#31 Posted by Heil68 (46818 posts) -

Well I guess the WiiU wont be around much longer then.

#32 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27924 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

If it was better for everyone, one company and one company name wouldn't be in the s***hole they are in right now.

#33 Posted by Bigboi500 (31002 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@Bigboi500: what the hell have you been playing the past 2 years then? All of Nintendo's greatest titles as of late have been 3ds games

The Wonderful 101, Fragile Dreams, Muramasa, The Last Story, Xenoblade, Pandora's Tower, Little King's Story, A Boy and His Blob etc on my Wii.

I'm not convinced that Sony would put those kinds of games on their consoles outside of Japan, when it appears they're moving heavily towards a Western focus for the US. Hell, even the Vita had a very strong Western focus, even in Japan at launch and that's why the system sold poorly there.

Outside of those Wii games I mentioned, along with first party Nintendo games, I've enjoyed off-the-beaten-path PS3 games, and those along with the occasional Western multiplat has taken my console time this gen.

I still enjoy both 3DS and Vita titles too, but they're more like a side dish to me in relation to console gaming.

#34 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3985 posts) -

Can't wait for F-Zero in full 1080p at 60 fps on the PS4.

#35 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Couth_ said:

If it was better for everyone, one company and one company name wouldn't be in the s***hole they are in right now.

That one company and its name is in the shithole because its management did not handle the transition properly, which, in turn, happened because they had no money and so had to be bought out by another company, a soulless corporate drone, which led them to their current predicament.

Nintendo is not Sega. If Nintendo were to go third party, it would not be like Sega. Stop trying to point to one to paint anything about the other.

#36 Edited by nintendoboy16 (27924 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

This won't happen; if they flop, expect them to go handheld only for a while, before they regroup and probably return with a new console but with a different mindset (probably going back to the SNES/N64/GCN philosophy)

And THAT is any better for them? Might as well have a table that has one less leg. Going the N64/GCN philosophy won't help them, Char.

#37 Edited by SonicNextGen2 (3549 posts) -

What happened Char? You used to be optimistic about the Wii U and now all of that optimism is gone. :(

#38 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3985 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@charizard1605 said:

And THAT is any better for them? Might as well have a table that has one less leg. Going the N64/GCN philosophy won't help them, Char.

Nintendo is a bar stool at this point, what table?

#39 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@Locutus_Picard said:

Can't wait for F-Zero in full 1080p at 60 fps on the PS4.

Lol

a) If Nintendo were to go third party, it would not focus on ancillary franchises that don't make money like F-Zero. It would just focus on franchises that make them money, like Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, and Super Smash Bros., because they would no longer have any obligation as platform holder to make franchises to add depth to their console's lineup. Expect Nintendo's catalog to be significantly trimmed in that case.

b) If Nintendo were to even exit the console business, they would just go handheld only, and just put all their games on the 3DS and their next handheld.

Nintendo games on PS4 and Xbox will remain a pipedream. You're likelier to see Nintendo IP on iOS and Android than the two consoles.

#40 Edited by Couth_ (10307 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Couth_ said:

That one company and its name is in the shithole because its management did not handle the transition properly, which, in turn, happened because they had no money and so had to be bought out by another company, a soulless corporate drone, which led them to their current predicament.

Nintendo is not Sega. If Nintendo were to go third party, it would not be like Sega. Stop trying to point to one to paint anything about the other.

For the gamers it would be better. Instead of having to buy a shit console to play the handful of nintendo franchises that are worth a damn, you could play them on superior devices that people actually care to own. Game sales would increase as well. They could hit GTA type numbers on some of their blockbuster franchises

I can see it already:

E3 2014 SONY CONFERENCE: "But wait, we have one more announcement".. Mario or zelda comes out... so many tonnes of mega

#41 Edited by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Let me compare hardware sales, software sales, general industry reception and relevance, and overall Nintendo profits in the N64/GCN era with those same metrics now.

Wait for it...

Yep, that strategy is better for them all right.

@SonicNextGen2 said:

What happened Char? You used to be optimistic about the Wii U and now all of that optimism is gone. :(

I'm optimistic it will get the great Nintendo games it's due to get. The console is dead as a dodo at this point though.

#42 Edited by MFDOOM1983 (8458 posts) -

A couple more bad quarters and Iwata will hopefully be forced out. A guy leading you who believes that the company can't compete against MS or Sony in the console space is not good for morale.

#43 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Couth_ said:

For the gamers it would be better. Instead of having to buy a shit console to play the handful of nintendo franchises that are worth a damn, you could play them on superior devices that people actually care to own. Game sales would increase as well. They could hit GTA type numbers on some of their blockbuster franchises

I can see it already:

E3 2014 SONY CONFERENCE: "But wait, we have one more announcement".. Mario or zelda comes out... so many tonnes of mega

And again, if Nintendo were to exit the console market, they would just double down on their own handhelds. Handhelds they know. Their handhelds are great, and they sell like water in a desert. Nintendo properties and games would be exclusive to the 3DS and its successors, not go to the PS4 and Xbox or whatever.

#44 Posted by Bigboi500 (31002 posts) -

@charizard1605: I'd be ok with that if they provided a cable link to allow me to put 3DS titles on my large HDTV, but how could it work with a second screen? It couldn't.

I just strongly prefer enjoying games on a large screen.

#45 Edited by mexicangordo (8654 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

Probably slash Wii U prices, halt production, clear inventory, finish development of games in the pipeline, and reallocate all resources to the profitable and revenue generating 3DS.

@Bigboi500 said:

No offence Char but that makes absolutely zero sense. Especially from a business prospective.

Nintendo has said this before, what over-haul could they truly provide? They clearly were not prepared for the Wii-U.

#46 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

@charizard1605: I'd be ok with that if they provided a cable link to allow me to put 3DS titles on my large HDTV, but how could it work with a second screen? It couldn't.

I just strongly prefer enjoying games on a large screen.

They probably will.

To answer your question, the hint lies in the 2DS design- it's one giant screen split into two. Nintendo will probably dedicate the handheld to the second screen, with the top, 'main' screen being output to the TV if they were to do that.

Of course, then there'd be the question of resolution.

#47 Posted by charizard1605 (60999 posts) -

@mexicangordo said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

@Bigboi500 said:

No offence Char but that makes absolutely zero sense. Especially from a business prospective.

Nintendo has said this before, what over-haul could they truly provide? They clearly were not prepared for the Wii-U.

Oh I'm not saying they will do that, I am pointing that out as the worst case scenario for Nintendo.

From a business perspective, however, it would make sense to plug the hole that is draining all their revenues and profits.

#48 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27924 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@Couth_ said:

Always with the "Ninty is not SEGA" excuse. It doesn't matter if they are not alike, Char. It would end up the death of them even if they had the money (which they would lose if they didn't move on). The audiences Nintendo has aren't with the other systems, even those who have more than one system will more then likely ignore Nintendo's offerings for everything else. Quality may not decrease, but popularity will.

Besides, it's not just SEGA. Atari, even in-name only (it doesn't matter if it was Infogrames, they LEGALLY used the Atari name) became irrelevant to most gamers and already was by the time Atari games that didn't have Dragon Ball Z on the box released in the 2000's.

#49 Edited by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

A sinking ship.
So much for the Wii:U hype a year ago.

#50 Posted by Bigboi500 (31002 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid: I enjoy a lot of the games you've mentioned, but Nintendo does have equally great Japanese niche games too that shouldn't be overlooked. If you enjoy them as well you should buy them up because games like that will probably stop being localized before long.

Just look at the decline in Japanese games being released outside of Japan from the PS2 to PS3 eras. It would surprise me if the decline wasn't similar for PS3 to PS4.