Iwata Had Tumor, Missed E3, Will Be Missing Investor Meet

• 67 results
#1 Posted by charizard1605 (55345 posts) -

June 24, 2014

Satoru Iwata

President, Nintendo Co., Ltd.

Thank you very much for your continued extraordinary support of us. I am Satoru Iwata, President of the company.

Today, there is one thing that I would like to share with you.

Recently, as the result of one of my routine physical examinations, an issue was detected. Following a more detailed examination, a growth was found in my bile duct.

In general, it is said that a bile duct growth can be difficult-to-treat, partly because of the difficulty of detecting it early. In my case, luckily, it was detected very early and I had no symptoms.

I was counseled that removal at an early stage would be the desirable medical option. Therefore I had surgery last week, and I came through it well, as predicted.

I have already resumed my business by email and by other means, but it is anticipated that a little more time is needed for me to return to my regular work schedule.

As a result, I have no choice but to miss the company’s very important activity, the Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, to be held this month. As the president of the company, I regret that I cannot attend the meeting. However, I understand that I have to prioritize my medical treatment and to recover as soon as possible so that I will again be able to do my best to help the company to grow. I hope that you understand.

Best Regards,

Satoru Iwata

Iwata's health issues were much more serious and severe than anybody might have imagined. He basically had a tumor in the bile duct that could have grown into something much worse. It's great to see that it was detected early and that he had a surgery, and that he is now feeling better. It is also great to see that he is prioritizing his health over an investor's meeting.

I hope you get better soon, Iwata! Don't worry about things too much, they'll all be fine in the long run.

SOURCE

#2 Posted by Vecna (3369 posts) -

Good luck on a speedy recovery Iwata.

#3 Posted by inb4uall (5236 posts) -

And Nintendo still won e3 in spite of this.

#4 Posted by faizan_faizan (7837 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

How does one "win" E3?

#5 Posted by remiks00 (1627 posts) -

Damn, I hope he will be okay in the future. I don't wish bad things on anyone.

#6 Posted by Pffrbt (6451 posts) -

How does one "win" E3?

You already know the answer to this question. You already know what people mean when they say something "won E3". Don't ask stupid shit.

#7 Edited by freedomfreak (38685 posts) -

At least they got it early. Good on him, and a speedy recovery.

#8 Edited by TheGuardian03 (21420 posts) -

Damn get well iwata.

I dont know who can replace him if anything happens. Iwata is iwata he cant be replaced.

#9 Posted by silversix_ (13884 posts) -

hope he goes well

#10 Posted by lglz1337 (3113 posts) -

omfg this some bad news

get better Iwata!

#11 Edited by Gue1 (9381 posts) -

so that's why the scoundrels at 4chan sent him a "get well" card with fan art and shit....

#12 Posted by nervmeister (15170 posts) -

I wish a smooth recovery for the man.

#13 Posted by yokofox33 (29200 posts) -

Hope he feels better soon.

#14 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (3940 posts) -

I glad it was found and treated early.

#15 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38205 posts) -

Damn so when they said he was too sick to travel they weren't kidding. Hope he does well

#16 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6825 posts) -

That's great that they found it early. I hope it was benign.

#17 Posted by Shewgenja (8298 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

How does one "win" E3?

By making a significant change in how your product is perceived as well as showing off desired games by the fist full. That is how you win E3. In this case the WiiU, which was being written off by many people as a complete disaster, is actually looking really good. I, for one, plan on buying on in the coming weeks.

#18 Edited by cainetao11 (16472 posts) -

hope he goes well

You sound like you're ready to write the obituary.

#19 Posted by Heil68 (43186 posts) -

Good they caught it early.

#20 Edited by foxhound_fox (87332 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

How does one "win" E3?

Show the most games.

#21 Posted by nini200 (9453 posts) -

I'm actually surprised that there are no fanboys ranting here. System Wars fanboys are better than Android Fanboys by a mile. Can you believe that Android Fanboys were happy and laughing at Steve Jobs' Death? I will never respect android fanboys after that. I like Android, just not the fanboys.

Hope Iwata heals soon.

#23 Edited by clone01 (24338 posts) -

Oh, man. Hope he gets well soon.

#24 Edited by darkspineslayer (19454 posts) -

The fact there is no fanboy nonsense in this thread (at least yet) restores a bit of my faith in humanity.

Great that it was caught and he'll recover.

#25 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3346 posts) -

Good to hear it was detected early and dealt with. Get well.

#26 Edited by Blabadon (25645 posts) -

Please be better, I need more understands in my life

#27 Edited by handssss (1774 posts) -

@faizan_faizan said:

@inb4uall said:

How does one "win" E3?

Show the most games.

but it being the wii u, that means pretty much none of the multiplats at the show (most of the games) aren't there.

#28 Edited by B4X (3291 posts) -
#29 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26088 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Please be better, I need more understands in my life

Other companies are going to be providing with that, my friend. Though they may not actually use the term "please understand"

#30 Posted by bbkkristian (14891 posts) -

I'm proud of the system warriors on this page. You aren't the vile beasts of the Internet. Kudos.

#31 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26088 posts) -

Get well soon, Iwata.

#32 Posted by GamingTitan (505 posts) -

Yikes. It's all about catching this kind of stuff early. Glad to hear he is recovering. :)

#33 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8696 posts) -

this thread warms my heart a great deal. It's nice to know when we hear of somebody having a serious medical scare, we stop being fools and actually start acting like caring human beings.

Get well soon Iwata!

#34 Posted by Blabadon (25645 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: Currently it's "Greatness Awaits" with an emphasis on awaits.

#35 Posted by Seabas989 (10026 posts) -

Hope he's alright.

#36 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5161 posts) -

Rest well Iwata.

No one deserves these kinds of things, unless they are overly offensive-psychopath douchebags.

#37 Edited by Desmonic (13180 posts) -

Wait, a WiiU was growing in his bile duct? >.>

Speedy recovery Iwata! Gotta keep bringing dem bombs and all that!

#38 Posted by LustForSoul (5828 posts) -

Luckily it was detected early, good news. Still shocking to hear this kind of stuff.

#39 Edited by AcidTango (502 posts) -

Hope he gets better soon.

#40 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22349 posts) -

One page in and no spiteful posts or snide remarks? You dun good system wars

#41 Posted by Elpresador-911 (199 posts) -

hopefully he has a quick recovery, the man doesnt deserve all the shit he usually gets from internet neckbeards.

#42 Posted by PsychoLemons (1969 posts) -

Poor him. Hope he gets better.

#43 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6722 posts) -

I hope he gets well soon and refrain from stressing himself out. His health must always be top priority.

#44 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (391 posts) -

Speedy recovery Mr. Iwata.

The man does really get a lot of undeserved hate. He seems like a real nice guy who cares about what he does for a living. Selling a product to gamers is a hard fricking job. This community can be brutal.

Glad this issue was found in early stages. Cannot wait to see what is next for Nintendo.

#45 Edited by MirkoS77 (6998 posts) -
@TheGuardian03 said:

Damn get well iwata.

I dont know who can replace him if anything happens. Iwata is iwata he cant be replaced.

Yes he can, don't for a second buy into the bullshit notion that Iwata comprises Nintendo and his absence would ruin the company. He is NOT Nintendo in its entirety, nor gaming.

As for his illness, quite a timely and convenient coincidence to have such a diagnosis right at the time investors are to give him his review. IF this condition exists, then I sincerely wish him all the best and a fast recovery, but for a man who's largely kept his job by playing up his charisma and personality at the right times, I have my doubts. Just the way I feel.

#46 Posted by MirkoS77 (6998 posts) -

One page in and no spiteful posts or snide remarks? You dun good system wars

You can count on me, Shin.

#47 Posted by charizard1605 (55345 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:
@TheGuardian03 said:

Damn get well iwata.

Yes he can, don't for a second buy into the bullshit notion that Iwata comprises Nintendo and his absence would ruin the company. He is NOT Nintendo in its entirety, nor gaming.

As for his illness, quite a timely and convenient coincidence to have such a diagnosis right at the time investors are to give him his review. IF this condition exists, then I sincerely wish him all the best and a fast recovery, but for a man who's largely kept his job by playing up his charisma and personality at the right times, I have my doubts. Just the way I feel.

This entire post is in very poor taste, and I expected significantly better from you.

#48 Posted by ConanTheStoner (4518 posts) -

@MirkoS77:

Respect minus 2,000 bro... wtf?

I agree with your previous point. Yes Iwata can be replaced. The company might even be better off for it. Who knows? Just because the man is ill doesn't mean I'll pretend that he is the corner stone of Nintendo. So we agree on that.

Pretending to have a tumor though? WHAT? "IF this condition exists"... WHAT?

I think you need to lay off the System Wars bro. I expected somebody to come in here with something crazy to say. I was surprised it didn't happen sooner. I just expected it to be another one of these trolling cow alts man. Not for a second did I think it would be you.

#49 Posted by MirkoS77 (6998 posts) -

You guys are right, it's in poor taste and I should've known much better. I apologize to Iwata and to those in this thread that I offended. It's just that he's constructed a cult of personality around him, this has been a focused effort over the years, and he's in a real dangerous position career wise. People are sympathetic to illness. It just strikes me as a little too convenient is all. But I'm probably wrong here, he's understandably under immense stress as well.

I guess sometimes my desire for him to step down skews my perspective in a bad way. Again, I apologize, that was uncalled for.

#50 Edited by PS4hasNOgames (1231 posts) -

lucky they caught it early. hope he gets well soon.