It's Official: Nintendo No Longer Developing Wii Games

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GamingGod999 (3006 posts) -

Link.

Already suspected by many, Nintendo has confirmed today that there are no original Wii games in development. This is not particularly surprising, since many have felt that The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was the last high-profile game to be released for the Wii.

According to Nintendos director of product marketing Bill Trinen, So whether its things like Nintendo Selects or a lot of the users also are still using their Wii to deliver Netflix content. I think theres also the potential for a lot of people who still havent purchased Wii, believe it or not, who might be interested at the right price. So well probably be looking at it more from that standpoint.

Sure, this might not sound like actual news, but keep in mind that, even after the PlayStation 3s and Xbox 360s releases, games were still developed for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox. Keep in mind, however, that though the Nintendo Wii sold like hotcakes, the install base is what matters, and it might not have been nearly as strong for the Wii as it is for the Nintendo DS or the PlayStation 2.Article

#2 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -
I'd rather have new games for the WiiU anyways.
#3 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27236 posts) -
Well since SW/other parts of the gaming community hate(d) the Wii anyway, does it matter that much?
#4 Posted by locopatho (20421 posts) -
Well since SW/other parts of the gaming community hate(d) the Wii anyway, does it matter that much?nintendoboy16
You know well Nintendo developed games were about the only part of the Wii that were pretty universally loved.
#5 Posted by Wiimotefan (4094 posts) -

Sounds good to me, I plan on getting a WiiU in the coming months and I want all there support focused there. I dont think many would expect them to support the WiiU, 3ds AND the Wii.

And tbh, supporting older systems rarely amounts to anything good. Sony are the kings of extended support, but very few games that come after the fact are actually worth a damn.

#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27236 posts) -

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Well since SW/other parts of the gaming community hate(d) the Wii anyway, does it matter that much?locopatho
You know well Nintendo developed games were about the only part of the Wii that were pretty universally loved.

Yet the system itself wasn't.

Also, not all Nintendo developed/published games were that loved, see: Donkey Kong Country Returns, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Metroid: Other M, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Series (except Sports and Resort), and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

#7 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Is this article from 2009? :P

#8 Posted by aroxx_ab (10475 posts) -

Don't think all Wii-sports playing soccer-moms care :lol:

#9 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17600 posts) -

And so rests one of the worst consoles of all-time....

#10 Posted by madsnakehhh (14596 posts) -

Luckly for me, i still have a big backlog, this weekend i got Pikmin 2 and is pretty good, i also have Sin&Punishment among some others.

#11 Posted by LordQuorthon (5359 posts) -

This is a terrible, terrible mistake.

#12 Posted by madsnakehhh (14596 posts) -

LostProphetFLCL

Lol what? maybe in terms of library...and still that's debatable, but is nowhere near one of the worst consoles of all time.

#13 Posted by hiphops_savior (7973 posts) -
It was dead since The Last Story was released in North America.
#14 Posted by Wiimotefan (4094 posts) -

LostProphetFLCL

If you started gaming this gen, sure.

#15 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27236 posts) -

LordQuorthon
How? This system was widely hated on all this gen.
#16 Posted by LordQuorthon (5359 posts) -

How? This system was widely hated on all this gen.nintendoboy16

outsidestill1.jpg

138045-realworld.jpg

#17 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

Damn, only 6 years of support? That is, if we can even count this year as supporting the Wii

#18 Posted by lazerface216 (7558 posts) -

LostProphetFLCL

you're an idiot.

#19 Posted by Blabadon (27144 posts) -
Good bye old friend. Actually screw that I'm playing some Sin and Punishment on it right now.
#20 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

crimsonman1245

I know your joking but I think you should've put 2010 instead of 2009.

2009 was a bad year for the Wii.

But 2010 was great for Wii.

Endless Ocean 2
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Super Mario Galaxy 2
PokéPark Wii
Metroid Other M
Wii Party
Flingsmash
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition
Xenoblade Chronicles (Japan version released in 2010)

All of those are published or developed by Nintendo and were released in 2010.

Kirby's Dream Collection was the last game Nintendo developed for the Wii it released in July in Japan and September in North America.

#21 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Damn, only 6 years of support? That is, if we can even count this year as supporting the Wii

BPoole96

They still released 11 games this year.

But only 6 were worldwide releases; 1 of those were released in Japan in 2010 and Europe in 2011.

#22 Posted by SolidTy (44450 posts) -

I read about it yesterday in the news.

The Wii's 1st party support was cut short, bummer. The Wii's install base begs for more 1st party support.

If you compare to other consoles (2005 360, 2006 PS3 about the same age as the Wii), the Wii U losing 1st party support seems even more tragic to that Wii fanbase of which I am apart.

#23 Posted by LustForSoul (5898 posts) -
I'm kinda surprised. With so many systems sold you'd think they would still make a nice profit on the Wii with many games.
#24 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

But only 6 were worldwide releases; 1 of those were released in Japan in 2010 and Europe in 2011.

11 games developed and/or published by Nintendo?

#25 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

Some were published by other were developed.

• Rhythm Heaven Fever
  • PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond
  • Mario Party 9
  • Kiki Trick (Japan only)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Project Zero II: Wii Edition (Published by Nintendo in Japan, Australia and Europe only)
  • The Last Story (Published by Nintendo in Japan and Europe)
  • New Play Control! Pikmin 2
  • Kirby's Dream Collection

It is actually 9 games I accidentally counted two games Just Dance Wii 2 and Inazuma Eleven Strikers which aren't Nintendo games but all the other games I listed Nintendo owns the IP and they were released this year.

#26 Posted by AznbkdX (3227 posts) -

To be expected really.

The Wii's end of life cycle was not favorable and had very little in support because of their focus on the WiiU plus 3DS. It was fairly obvious that they were to discontinue it off of that notion.

#27 Posted by BPoole96 (22803 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]They still released 11 games this year.

Nintendo_Ownes7

• Rhythm Heaven Fever
  • Mario Party 9
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Project Zero II: Wii Edition (Published by Nintendo in Japan, Australia and Europe only)

It is actually 9 games I accidentally counted two games Just Dance Wii 2 and Inazuma Eleven Strikers which aren't Nintendo games but all the other games I listed Nintendo owns the IP and they were released this year.

That's a lot better than I thought. I only remembered The Last Story and Rhythm Fever. Nintendo did more this year than Sony did.

#28 Posted by AznbkdX (3227 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

• Rhythm Heaven Fever
  • Mario Party 9
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

That's a lot better than I thought. I only remembered The Last Story and Rhythm Fever. Nintendo did more this year than Sony did.

You would be surprised. Ninty actually devs and publishes more games than you think. Some of it doesn't come out of Japan.

I still remember Captain Rainbow, and even some ones that came out here like Glory of Heracles, Fossil Fighter, Elite Beat Agents and so on. Not all were Wii but they did crank out a lot.

#29 Posted by SolidTy (44450 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]Some were published by other were developed.

• Rhythm Heaven Fever
  • Mario Party 9
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

AznbkdX

You would be surprised. Ninty actually devs and publishes more games than you think. Some of it doesn't come out of Japan.

I still remember Captain Rainbow, and even some ones that came out here like Glory of Heracles, Fossil Fighter, Elite Beat Agents and so on. Not all were Wii but they did crank out a lot.

Yes, they do...although, some of those titles are technically 2011 or earlier games, and others never came to the West. It's kind of confusing, on one hand he looked up games that only came out in Japan this year, but then he counted those games as 2012 games that came out in previous years in that same country. It certainly made the list larger when you do that.

If we are going to count games that only came out in Japan though, I wonder what kind of games Microsoft and Sony released in the East as well, just to be fair.

I think we should either only look at when a game is released and count that game on that day, or only look at western released games and use those dates. It's strange seeing some games counted as 2012 as they came out in Japan, but see other 2011 or 2010 games that came out in Japan count this year as well (2012).

It unfairly beefs up the list.

Then again, this wasn't my argument, I was am always jealous of games that don't come to the West in general.

I'm just more bummed that 1st party support is officially dead for the Wii. I guess it means I need to reorganize my house this next year. :(

#30 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
I wish sony stopped all development (except sly/last of us/gow:a) for the ps3 and put all resources into ps4. The system died years ago anyways...
#31 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

crimsonman1245
:lol: nice
#32 Posted by Mario1331 (8826 posts) -

i still want some more collections from the wii though. im hoping they dont stop that the kirby collection was a steal

#33 Posted by silversix_ (14986 posts) -
Worst six years of a system ever created since VB. How/why Nintendo supported this crap for 6 years and MS abandoned Xbox 1 after 4 is just sad. Xbox was an amazing system and Wii was bad even for low standards.
#34 Posted by ArisShadows (22664 posts) -
Part of it me is sad, but then part of me is happy because it will just continue onwards with the Wii U. Still need to pick some things up like the Kirby Collection.
#35 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

Raise your hand if you were honestly surprised.

No one?

Good.

#36 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -
[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

nintendoboy16
How? This system was widely hated on all this gen.

I love the Wii and I've found many games I want for it and love on it. I must be one of the very few.
#37 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7315 posts) -

Well then RIP officially then Wii we will miss you.

#38 Posted by santoron (7792 posts) -

The Wii's install base begs for more 1st party support.

SolidTy

This. With the huge nuber of Wiis out there and the excellent sales first party titles have received, I'm shocked they'd abandon it totally for the new console, which won't be able to deliver similar sales for years.

Oh well, like Char posted recently, Nintendo gonna Nintendo. ;)

#39 Posted by darkspineslayer (19993 posts) -
So they see the logic in leading the Wii crowd onto the new system, but still release Pokemon on DS?
#40 Posted by The_Game21x (26342 posts) -

This is a surprise? ;?

Nintendo always abandons their older consoles as soon as a successor is released.

#41 Posted by PSP107 (11998 posts) -
[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

Lol what? maybe in terms of library...and still that's debatable, but is nowhere near one of the worst consoles of all time.

I started gaming during the NES era. So Wii is the worst.
#42 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

You don't say!

>_>

#43 Posted by mccoyca112 (5433 posts) -

madsnakehhh

In the end, does anything else really matter to us? He's wrong about it being the worst though, that's for sure. On the subject of them pulling the plug, that's for the best.

#44 Posted by nintendoboy16 (27236 posts) -

I read about it yesterday in the news.

The Wii's 1st party support was cut short, bummer. The Wii's install base begs for more 1st party support.

SolidTy

C'mon, Ty. You've seen the absolute hatred for the Wii. Don't you think it's perhaps for the better that this happened?

#45 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -
I haven't even touched my Wii in months, maybe years.
#46 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34175 posts) -

Well, yeah, the Wii-U is out now, so...

#47 Posted by Epak_ (6808 posts) -

Yeah stop wasting resources and focus on what's relevant, good news.

#48 Posted by AznbkdX (3227 posts) -

[QUOTE="AznbkdX"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

SolidTy

Yes, they do...although, some of those titles are technically 2011 or earlier games, and others never came to the West. It's kind of confusing, on one hand he looked up games that only came out in Japan this year, but then he counted those games as 2012 games that came out in previous years in that same country. It certainly made the list larger when you do that.

If we are going to count games that only came out in Japan though, I wonder what kind of games Microsoft and Sony released in the East as well, just to be fair.

I think we should either only look at when a game is released and count that game on that day, or only look at western released games and use those dates. It's strange seeing some games counted as 2012 as they came out in Japan, but see other 2011 or 2010 games that came out in Japan count this year as well (2012).

It unfairly beefs up the list.

Then again, this wasn't my argument, I was am always jealous of games that don't come to the West in general.

I'm just more bummed that 1st party support is officially dead for the Wii. I guess it means I need to reorganize my house this next year. :(

I was just making the point that ninty devs and publishes more than ppl think.

Most think in the narrow sense that ninty pretty much only has Mario, Zelda, and metroid for the most part. They have several niche games most ppl don't know much about.

I honestly didn't see his list as anything more than proof that there are many published titles by them. I do agree to keep games relative to their years when doing yearly though.

As for Microsoft and Sony publishing and dev... it would be interesting to see. Doubt its bigger amount of games but it might be. Once again though I saw it as proof that ninty does more than the normal 1st parties so I never compared it to other companies.

#49 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17600 posts) -

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

mccoyca112

In the end, does anything else really matter to us? He's wrong about it being the worst though, that's for sure. On the subject of them pulling the plug, that's for the best.

Funny thing is I said ONE of the worst.

Still, that does not stop it from being an absolutely pathetic excuse for a gaming console.

#50 Posted by Killzonage (408 posts) -

LostProphetFLCL
You can't be serious?