Its kind of sad that next generation consoles

• 112 results
#1 Edited by SimplyFatal (1076 posts) -

Don't have the power to run all games at 1080p. I mean common its 2014 for gods sakes, couldn't they add a better processor and graphics card? At least they could've made the console a bit more expensive at launch with better parts and gradually decreased the price. I really don't understand this at all. If some of you are checking my profile, I am a PC gamer, but lets leave that out of this topic. I'm more worried about the gaming industry as a whole, especially this generation, since it seems to revolve around console evolution more so than PC evolution.

#2 Posted by BldgIrsh (2595 posts) -

Cheaper initial cost for a "decent" system + a huge dedicated fanbase = $$$$

They could care less about quality if they can make a profit.

#3 Posted by SimplyFatal (1076 posts) -

@bldgirsh: Yeah I thought so. It really is sad to see thats happening to loyal gamers. The worst is when they make it seem like its the next big thing... I mean, the whole system implementation is cool, I guess, but thats not enough.

#4 Posted by lostrib (37042 posts) -

@SimplyFatal said:

Don't have the power to run all games at 1080p. I mean common its 2014 for gods sakes, couldn't they add a better processor and graphics card? I don't understand this at all. I am a PC gamer, but lets leave this out of this topic. I'm more worried about the gaming industry as a whole.

Too late.

#5 Posted by GotNugz (673 posts) -

Yea the consoles should have had something similar to a 7970 minimum. People also need to realize that resolution and frame rate are not the deciding factor when it comes to graphics. Even if the consoles had something as powerful as the 295x2 there would still be games at 1080p and 30fps because the game would look phenomenal.

#6 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@SimplyFatal said:

Don't have the power to run all games at 1080p. I mean common its 2014 for gods sakes, couldn't they add a better processor and graphics card? I don't understand this at all. I am a PC gamer, but lets leave this out of this topic. I'm more worried about the gaming industry as a whole.

Too late.

Lol. What a turd.

#7 Edited by commonfate (12406 posts) -

PS4 wouldn't be selling as well as it is right now if it was priced at $599 (again).

#8 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

It's the consumer that doesn't care.

They could of added a better processor and graphics card, but they didn't because the average consumer doesn't want to pay much more than $400.

When the PS3 first came out it was a beast and one of the cheapest Blu-ray players at the time if not the cheapest. But no one wanted to pay $600 for one and everyone criticized them for it why would they make that same mistake twice?

If you want a cost effective gaming machine go Console, if you want top of the line power house and don't mind paying for it go PC. That Simple.

#9 Posted by hummer700 (10195 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@bldgirsh said:

It's the consumer that doesn't care.

They could of added a better processor and graphics card, but they didn't because the average consumer doesn't want to pay much more than $400.

When the PS3 first came out it was a beast and one of the cheapest Blu-ray players at the time if not the cheapest. But no one wanted to pay $600 for one and everyone criticized them for it why would they make that same mistake twice?

If you want a cost effective gaming machine go Console, if you want top of the line power house and don't mind paying for it go PC. That Simple.

^ this.

Its really the best they could do for $400. I think it'll be fine atleast for 5+ years the beginning of every console gen is a little rough around the edges. GTA V still baffles me that it can run on my xbox 360 (512mb RAM lol), just imagine what XB1 and PS4 will be pumping out towards the end of their life cycle.

#10 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10570 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

ehhh...to an extent yes, the major console manufacturers care about their bottom line more than what games are selling. That being said they also want to be known for the quality of the games and their system (as increased positive notoriety will translate to more/higher sales)

#11 Posted by SimplyFatal (1076 posts) -

@commonfate: But why not make it 599 with better parts and lower the cost as time goes on? I feel like that would be a more desirable way of doing it...

#12 Posted by Ballroompirate (22931 posts) -

One of these threads again.

#13 Posted by lostrib (37042 posts) -

@SimplyFatal said:

@commonfate: But why not make it 599 with better parts and lower the cost as time goes on? I feel like that would be a more desirable way of doing it...

Because they want people to actually buy it

#14 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

It's because neither of them chose to have high end parts like they did in the 7th generation. Xbox One might have a short generation compared to PS4 as the hardware will get outdated much faster. I'd say 5 years for the both of them.

#15 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1203 posts) -

PS4 does....I have several games that run in 1080p.

Missed facts.

#16 Posted by lostrib (37042 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Missed facts.

"Don't have the power to run all games at 1080p."

Keyword would be all

Missed facts

#17 Posted by BldgIrsh (2595 posts) -

@Shielder7: Yup I would agree. It's what I meant with cheaper initial cost. If they would charge more initially than the PC would become more attractive as it'll be the best bang for your buck. 400$ is the sweet spot and they could only do so much without increasing the value.

#18 Posted by -CC- (1893 posts) -

This gen sucks. I would gladly pay 100 more for better parts. And 100$ when buying in bulk could have made the PS4 much better. Lets hope for a short gen.

#19 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1203 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Missed facts.

Keyword would be all

Missed facts

Oh....you're right.

It did say all. Well....as long as we're clear that not all games can be run at 1080p on PS4....just like PC and X1.

Whew....glad that got sorted out quickly.

#20 Posted by topgunmv (10237 posts) -

Maybe 3rd parties just have to get better at using the hardware.

#21 Edited by BldgIrsh (2595 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog: Mmm that trollbait you laid there about PC not being able to do 1080p on all its games. It looks delicious but alas its "true" if we're talking about games from millenniums ago.

#22 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1203 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@mr_huggles_dog: Mmm that trollbait you laid there about PC not being able to do 1080p on all its games. It looks delicious but alas its "true" if we're talking about games from millenniums ago.

I can't do all games in 1080p on PC.

Farcry 3 is one of them.

Not sure what you're getting at there, sport.

#23 Posted by BldgIrsh (2595 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog: Ahh, this argument. It's been discussed before. And it leads to nowhere.. So before it continues might I suggest to stop it?

#24 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1203 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@mr_huggles_dog: Ahh, this argument. It's been discussed before. And it leads to nowhere.. So before it continues might I suggest to stop it?

Oh....I guess that argument goes to a place where I'm right?

Sure...so I don't embarrass you....I'll do as you begged me to....and I'll stop it.

#25 Edited by BldgIrsh (2595 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog: Mmmhm. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

#26 Posted by commonfate (12406 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@bldgirsh said:

I can't do all games in 1080p on PC.

Farcry 3 is one of them.

Not sure what you're getting at there, sport.

I don't get it.

#27 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1203 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@mr_huggles_dog: Mmmhm. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

But you asked me to stop.....I thought I was helping you sleep at night.

Would you like to have this conversation instead? Here I'll start....and you answer your question @commonfate:

I have a gaming PC. I have Farcry 3 on it. It cannot play Farcry 3 at 1080p. Therefore....PC cannot do all games in 1080p.

See.....now....would you like to continue? Or would your rather sleep soundly?

#28 Posted by commonfate (12406 posts) -
@mr_huggles_dog said:

I have a gaming PC. I have Farcry 3 on it. It cannot play Farcry 3 at 1080p. Therefore....PC cannot do all games in 1080p.

Gotcha. Far Cry 3 is a pretty power hungry game. Most people gaming on PCs probably can't run it comfortably on 1080P.

#29 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@lostrib said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Missed facts.

Keyword would be all

Missed facts

Oh....you're right.

It did say all. Well....as long as we're clear that not all games can be run at 1080p on PS4....just like PC and X1.

What? Pretty much all PC games from well over a decade ago can do 1080p. Games now are starting to do 4K support on PC.

#30 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1203 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@lostrib said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Missed facts.

Keyword would be all

Missed facts

Oh....you're right.

What? Pretty much all PC games from well over a decade ago can do 1080p. Games now are starting to do 4K on PC.

Please read the rest of the 5 posts that were left to read.

#31 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

@commonfate said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

Gotcha. Far Cry 3 is a pretty power hungry game. Most people gaming on PCs probably can't run it comfortably on 1080P.

HD 7770 can at high settings and that's a fairly low end card. Unless you got AA maxed out like an idiot, you probably won't get good FPS.

#32 Posted by Vecna (3394 posts) -

Agreed. This supposed next gen is a flop. What do you expect from cell phone processors though?

#33 Posted by Bigboi500 (29955 posts) -

Current gen, not next gen.

#34 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

@Vecna said:

Agreed. This supposed next gen is a flop. What do you expect from cell phone processors though?

Cell phones use ARM processors, not x86.

#35 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3365 posts) -

Don't worry man , 2022 isn't that far . We'll get there in no time , then we'll finally hit full 1080p and 60fps in all games , on new consoles .

#36 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Don't worry man , 2022 isn't that far . We'll get there in no time , then we'll finally hit full 1080p and 60fps in all games , on new consoles .

No 4k?

Step it up.

#37 Posted by Vecna (3394 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

@Vecna said:

I am glad you brought that up. The current progression of cell phone processing power will most likely outpace these consoles in the near future.

The cost cutting put into these machines was mind boggling considering how quickly they would be out of date.

I am well aware of the x86 architecture; however the Jaguar is gutted when it comes to performance. Tablet pc performance from a newly released console is just a sin.

#38 Edited by superbuuman (2858 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

No 4k?

Step it up.

Doubt it ...struggle to do 1080p at 60fps current gen..you really expect them to go 4k. To play at at 1080p at 60fps with maximum candy you have to go PC & pay for it. 4k will cost even more. :P

#39 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3365 posts) -
@Gaming-Planet said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

No 4k?

Step it up.

We expected 1080p and 60fps in all games this gen . Didn't happen . The best we may get next gen would be 1440p/30fps or even 60fps . I don't expect next consoles to handle 4k , even most (affordable) PCs can't handle it ATM . 4k setups will become more affordable after 1.5-2 years on PC . Right now , 1440p is becoming new standard .

Anyways , that comment was a joke and anything can happen in the future . Who knows ;-)

#40 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14022 posts) -

@Vecna said:

@Gaming-Planet said:

@Vecna said:

I am glad you brought that up. The current progression of cell phone processing power will most likely outpace these consoles in the near future.

The cost cutting put into these machines was mind boggling considering how quickly they would be out of date.

I am well aware of the x86 architecture; however the Jaguar is gutted when it comes to performance. Tablet pc performance from a newly released console is just a sin.

Just look at the Tegra K1. Rather impressive for a low watt ARM processor. Jaguar uses 2 modules with 4 cores in each that share resources, these cores are very weak, weaker than dual cores today. So yeah, I guess they'd have somewhat a mobile-like performance.

#41 Edited by ktseymour (797 posts) -

@Gaming-Planet said:

@Vecna said:

What?! I can't use my PS4 as a cell? Dammit!!

Oh, I see what he did there. Cell processor ...ha..ha,ha...haaaaaaa!! Tee hee :p

#42 Edited by Mr_Huggles_dog (1203 posts) -

Again....PCs can't do all games in 1080p.

I gave an example...and low and behold....there was an excuse.

Would you like to know my setup.....b/c it's "last gen" hardware running a last gen game. No wait....that would be ridiculous....there would just be more excuses.

#43 Edited by trugs26 (5504 posts) -

I'm worried about the gaming industry as well. The consumer's obsession with resolution is really sad to me.

#44 Posted by halffullcup (64 posts) -

I don't think you can blame them though,I mean would you have paid like 7/800$ for them? coz they would have their profit anyway. Which they aren't even getting now.

#45 Posted by halffullcup (64 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog: I can and my PC is worth only 4/500$ . at 30 to60fps

#46 Posted by farrell2k (6177 posts) -

@SimplyFatal said:

Despite what they claim, many hermits can't even run most games at 1080p above 30fps.

#47 Edited by mikhail (2117 posts) -

Console vs Console arguments - "OMG Xbone is only 900p? LMFAO PS4 version is 1080p lolol, ps4 has the best cinematic graphics!"

Console vs PC argument from the same console gamer "Well, graphics dont matter...its all about the gameplay...uhhh...TLOU!"

#48 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Missed facts.

and even those games needed a lot of pushing and squeezing to run at 1080p with stable fps on your pos 4, you turd blossom.

#49 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (1203 posts) -

@halffullcup said:

@mr_huggles_dog: I can and my PC is worth only 4/500$ . at 30 to60fps

Don't get me wrong....I don't think no PC can do 1080p....but I guess I'll have to explain it again.....mine cannnot.....therefore....PC can't go every game at 1080p.

@geniobastardo said:

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Missed facts.

and even those games needed a lot of pushing and squeezing to run at 1080p with stable fps on your pos 4, you turd blossom.

But....you don't know that, for sure.

I'd like to see where you got your facts from....Mrs. Turd Blossom.

#50 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2480 posts) -

@mikhail said:

Console vs Console arguments - "OMG Xbone is only 900p? LMFAO PS4 version is 1080p lolol, ps4 has the best cinematic graphics!"

Console vs PC argument from the same console gamer "Well, graphics dont matter...its all about the gameplay...uhhh...TLOU!"

That's why the current console is stupid as fuck.

I've said this before, but people who are truly concerned with resolution and frame rates have been playing on pc for years.

All that's happening is that these consoles are 95% the same, and to justify their purchase, brand warriors need to find something to "win" over each other. Well, besides excluisves, and even that's a laugh.