It's 2012. Why the hell do button mashing QTEs still exist?

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I'm not talking about button mashing like how some of us get through God of War or Tekken. I'mnot talking about normal, one-press QTES.

I'm talking about button mashing like the one found in Vanquish which is required to beat bosses and the ones found in other games like RE6. Button mashing is terrible because

1) It interrupts flow so badly

2) It's uncomfortable to the player especially when a heavy amount of it is needed

3) It doesn't feel intuitive and is just in place for completing a mundane task (opening a door by mashing R2? Sigh...)

4) There's never a button that is actually good for this button mashing. They barely pop out a few millimeters out of a controller, why did this idea even come to?

And many other reasons. On a keyboard, it may be more acceptable, but it's annoying nonetheless. Button mashing being mandatory is a dumb system that should not be in 2012 especially on consoles where it's most uncomfortable.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
You mean a quick time event? I don't know depends on the game. I wasn't really annoyed by how Vanquish did it. The bigger issue is that the game had no real diversity in boss fights.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Because "Button? Awesome!"

da2ot-04.gif

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

Because some devs are unimaginative...

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

Easier to program.

Makes tougher challenges simple.

Unless there's some other technical definition, these 2 are the main reasons.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]You mean a quick time event? I don't know depends on the game. I wasn't really annoyed by how Vanquish did it. The bigger issue is that the game had no real diversity in boss fights.

This. It's not an issue if it's done well and not a constant thing (see: the boos fights in God of War).
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Doesn't even know what the hell he's complaining about(QTE) but yet he goes full throttle. The usual thing in SW.:P

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Blabadon
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]You mean a quick time event? I don't know depends on the game. I wasn't really annoyed by how Vanquish did it. The bigger issue is that the game had no real diversity in boss fights.

Not QTEs, just the ones that require heavy bashing of Square/X or X/A to do a mundane task. I'm okay with QTEs, but in Vanquish it was so damn annoying. I'm currently on Chapter 4 but I can't really say there's too much of a problem with boss fights when all the minibosses are so cool. I was actually a little disappointed to see [spoiler] another Argus Core but throwing two in at the same time was fresh enough to make it fun. That's where Mikami's genius shows [/spoiler]
Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

Playing Sleeping Dogs and it's got a bit of what you're referring to. Doesn't bother me, but it's not exactly fun.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blabadon

Doesn't even know what the hell he's complaining about(QTE) but yet he goes full throttle. The usual thing in SW.:P

glez13
Not strict QTEs, the button mashing ones.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

QTE's don't bug me if they're genuinely awesome.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
I hated FF13 for crap like this.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Because certain actions the dev want the player "doing" rather than "watching" are one-time-only events in the game and thus are actions that aren't mapped to the controls normally.

Example - opening the airlock door in Halo 4 isn't mapped next to the reload button.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]You mean a quick time event? I don't know depends on the game. I wasn't really annoyed by how Vanquish did it. The bigger issue is that the game had no real diversity in boss fights.

Not QTEs, just the ones that require heavy bashing of Square/X or X/A to do a mundane task. I'm okay with QTEs, but in Vanquish it was so damn annoying. I'm currently on Chapter 4 but I can't really say there's too much of a problem with boss fights when all the minibosses are so cool. I was actually a little disappointed to see [spoiler] another Argus Core but throwing two in at the same time was fresh enough to make it fun. That's where Mikami's genius shows [/spoiler]

Oh, that kind of QTE. Yeah, those are annoying. They need to go away.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts
I always disliked the opening of doors/gates in GoW. R2 R2 R2 R2 R2 R2...
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

RE4

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]I always disliked the opening of doors/gates in GoW. R2 R2 R2 R2 R2 R2...

:o It's like you read my f*cking mind.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DarkLink77

RE4

Cheleman
Meh. RE4 knows not to overuse them, and when it does, it does them well. That Krauser fight? So boss. Hard and strict, but you genuinely felt like you'd accomplished something when you won.
Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Perhaps its a dooms day signal

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]I always disliked the opening of doors/gates in GoW. R2 R2 R2 R2 R2 R2...

I tend to do that. Seriously, opening chests required you to hold it down, which is fine. But the tapping of R2 for doors? God no.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

RE4

DarkLink77
Meh. RE4 knows not to overuse them, and when it does, it does them well. That Krauser fight? So boss. Hard and strict, but you genuinely felt like you'd accomplished something when you won.

Because RE4 is godly. Action game bliss.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Arent qte's a new thing? The topic title suggests that its an outdated mechanic. Its a mechanic that has nothing to do with technology like graphics, physics or ai. Its just a mechanic you dont like.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]I always disliked the opening of doors/gates in GoW. R2 R2 R2 R2 R2 R2...

my friends would complain about their damaged R2s lol. serves them well for playing god of war >.>
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]I always disliked the opening of doors/gates in GoW. R2 R2 R2 R2 R2 R2...

I tend to do that. Seriously, opening chests required you to hold it down, which is fine. But the tapping of R2 for doors? God no.

True story, bro. True story. Off-topic, but after playing God of War the other night... those games haven't changed from 1-3. Like at all. Before, when I'd only played 3, I wrote off those statements as typical System Wars hyperbole (they do it with Halo, GTA, etc and are wrong, so I wasn't expecting anything different), but... they haven't changed at all. Some of the executions and enemy moves are literally identical, for f*ck's sake.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#26 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Asura's Wrath was bassically a long quick time event, and you know what? I enjoyed it. I think most games shouldn't use it, but ever game isn't trying to do the same thing. Used properly, they can be really effective and fun.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Cheleman"]

RE4

jg4xchamp

I was wondering how long it would take for you to agree with me on that one.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
Bleh. I'm fine as long as they aren't overdone. Vanquish was good. Vanquish makes everything good.
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

They do annoy me in some ways, it just depends on how games are made. In regard of God of War 3, I liked it because it allows me to fight bosses initially, giving them enough damage and start the QTE to finish them. I thought it's acceptable and enjoyable in that way.

It's just games like Resident Evil 5 and some Uncharted games where you just mash X button to run away from spiders or a big boulder rolling to you, that annoys me the most. I feel that they could be better. It would have been nice if it's something like Crash Bandicoot where you control your character around the path avoiding holes and enemies along the way by jumping and swerving. I really enjoyed that. Mashing a button is just ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I honestly dont get the grip gamers have with QTE. Aslong as they arent overdone I've no prob with them at all. At least they give us some interactivity during some scenes. Would you guys just prefer a cutscene? I wouldnt, but thats me...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] :o It's like you read my f*cking mind.

True story, bro. True story. Off-topic, but after playing God of War the other night... those games haven't changed from 1-3. Like at all. Before, when I'd only played 3, I wrote off those statements as typical System Wars hyperbole (they do it with Halo, GTA, etc and are wrong, so I wasn't expecting anything different), but... they haven't changed at all. Some of the executions and enemy moves are literally identical, for f*ck's sake.

That's true. Just new moves. The gameplay mechanics are the same. It's just smoother in GoW3, but that has more to do with the improved animations.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Meh. RE4 knows not to overuse them, and when it does, it does them well. That Krauser fight? So boss. Hard and strict, but you genuinely felt like you'd accomplished something when you won.DarkLink77

I would never disagree with any assertion of RE4s greatness. Because doing so would be lying, and I am not a beacon of false statements.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] Because RE4 is godly. Action game bliss.jg4xchamp

I would never disagree with any assertion of RE4s greatness. Because doing so would be lying, and I am not a beacon of false statements.

True that. One of the few games you can level very few legitimate criticisms against. Mikami is a God.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] I tend to do that. Seriously, opening chests required you to hold it down, which is fine. But the tapping of R2 for doors? God no.

That's true. Just new moves. The gameplay mechanics are the same. It's just smoother in GoW3, but that has more to do with the improved animations.

It was pretty ridiculous. Answer me this: Was the original God of War considered a good looking game when it released? Because it has aged really, really badly, even in the HD Collection. Also no f*cking idea why they didn't upscale the goddamn cutscenes. One of the few times I will say a developer was lazy.
Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

It was pretty ridiculous. Answer me this: Was the original God of War considered a good looking game when it released? Because it has aged really, really badly, even in the HD Collection. Also no f*cking idea why they didn't upscale the goddamn cutscenes. One of the few times I will say a developer was lazy.DarkLink77

From the review itself:

Beautiful character designs and environments are backed up by a technically excellent engineGod of War Review

Yeah, I'd say it was considered a good looking game. Makes me wonder what games back then can still be said to be good looking by today's standards.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] True story, bro. True story. Off-topic, but after playing God of War the other night... those games haven't changed from 1-3. Like at all. Before, when I'd only played 3, I wrote off those statements as typical System Wars hyperbole (they do it with Halo, GTA, etc and are wrong, so I wasn't expecting anything different), but... they haven't changed at all. Some of the executions and enemy moves are literally identical, for f*ck's sake.

It was pretty ridiculous. Answer me this: Was the original God of War considered a good looking game when it released? Because it has aged really, really badly, even in the HD Collection. Also no f*cking idea why they didn't upscale the goddamn cutscenes. One of the few times I will say a developer was lazy.

Yes. And quite frankly it was back at the time.
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] True story, bro. True story. Off-topic, but after playing God of War the other night... those games haven't changed from 1-3. Like at all. Before, when I'd only played 3, I wrote off those statements as typical System Wars hyperbole (they do it with Halo, GTA, etc and are wrong, so I wasn't expecting anything different), but... they haven't changed at all. Some of the executions and enemy moves are literally identical, for f*ck's sake.

From what I remember, it was hailed as a graphics beast. Especially GoW2. Cows were holding that against the Wii a lot. GoW2 surprised a lot of people, because SM were able to push the game's graphics even further that late into the gen. It's a shame about the cutscenes, but atleast they're not as bas as the DMC collection.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

you know, I used to love QTEs on Shenmue and God of War back in the Dreamcast/PS2 days but now I despise them with all my might. And the same with the stupid regen health... And I'm not saying that they should go but I think devs should start to be a little bit more creative and look for some new/better designs for next-gen.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#39 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

I don't mind them if they're done right and add to the game in some way. Sadly, only a few games have done it correctly.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Answer me this: Was the original God of War considered a good looking game when it released? Because it has aged really, really badly, even in the HD Collection. Also no f*cking idea why they didn't upscale the goddamn cutscenes. One of the few times I will say a developer was lazy.DarkLink77

Definitely, though we are talking about an old game on ancient hardware. Personally, I find it to be rare when a game as old as GoW DOES stand up well this long after. I'd guess it'd be somewhere around the top ten best looking games for the PS2 though.

Avatar image for DontGetBigIdeas
DontGetBigIdeas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DontGetBigIdeas
Member since 2012 • 252 Posts

I'd rather be allowed to do what the QTE's are showing us. I like controlling, not watching.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DarkLink77

From the review itself:

[QUOTE="God of War Review"]Beautiful character designs and environments are backed up by a technically excellent engineGoyoshi12

Yeah, I'd say it was considered a good looking game. Makes me wonder what games back then can still be said to be good looking by today's standards.

Um... the original Halo still looks pretty decent (almost all of that can be put down to art design, though). Also, Ninja Gaiden still looks very good. But that was from 2004. The KOTOR games still look good. DMC3 looks pretty decent.

There are a few.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] That's true. Just new moves. The gameplay mechanics are the same. It's just smoother in GoW3, but that has more to do with the improved animations.

From what I remember, it was hailed as a graphics beast. Especially GoW2. Cows were holding that against the Wii a lot. GoW2 surprised a lot of people, because SM were able to push the game's graphics even further that late into the gen. It's a shame about the cutscenes, but atleast they're not as bas as the DMC collection.

Well, God of War II looks pretty amazing for a PS2 game. Oh, God. What'd they do to the DMC cutscenes?
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"] That's true. Just new moves. The gameplay mechanics are the same. It's just smoother in GoW3, but that has more to do with the improved animations.

Yes. And quite frankly it was back at the time.

I believe it. Just shocking to look at it now.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jg4xchamp
Chaos Theory, Butcher Bay, Metroid Prime, RE 4, Wind Waker, disgusting ass Doom 3, Half Life 2. There are a good chunk of games that are still pleasing to the eyes. Just look ugly if you compare them to more technically advanced games. Because last gen textures be gross.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Answer me this: Was the original God of War considered a good looking game when it released? Because it has aged really, really badly, even in the HD Collection. Also no f*cking idea why they didn't upscale the goddamn cutscenes. One of the few times I will say a developer was lazy.santoron

Definitely, though we are talking about an old game on ancient hardware. Personally, I find it to be rare when a game as old as GoW DOES stand up well this long after. I'd guess it'd be somewhere around the top ten best looking games for the PS2 though.

I think FFX still looks really damn good, especially for a PS2 title. The art in that game is beautiful.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jg4xchamp

What'd they do to the DMC cutscenes?DarkLink77
They were DMC cutscenes

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DarkLink77
Chaos Theory, Butcher Bay, Metroid Prime, RE 4, Wind Waker, disgusting ass Doom 3, Half Life 2. There are a good chunk of games that are still pleasing to the eyes. Just look ugly if you compare them to more technically advanced games. Because last gen textures be gross. jg4xchamp
These, too. Especially Wind Waker, which has aged extraordinarily well. Butcher Bay, too. DOOM 3 is actually still pretty impressive in a lot of ways. The lighting in that game is nuts.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]What'd they do to the DMC cutscenes?jg4xchamp

They were DMC cutscenes

Well, besides that. :P
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 freedomfreak
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] It was pretty ridiculous. Answer me this: Was the original God of War considered a good looking game when it released? Because it has aged really, really badly, even in the HD Collection. Also no f*cking idea why they didn't upscale the goddamn cutscenes. One of the few times I will say a developer was lazy.

Well, God of War II looks pretty amazing for a PS2 game. Oh, God. What'd they do to the DMC cutscenes?

Same as GoW. No upscaling, except they look worse than the GoW ones. Atleast the ones in DMC3. I don't know if they patched it. Probably not.