It’s time for Nintendo to admit defeat

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by AtariKidX (6277 posts) -

"Wii U is in big trouble. According to CVG News, analysts are confidently predicting that Nintendo will fail to meet its projected sales target of 9 million consoles by the end of 2013. They’re also predicting profit projections will be missed, and that it will only ever sell a quarter of the number of units its predecessor, the Wii, did. Most startlingly, PS4 has already outsold Wii U’s lifetime sales to date in the UK. Bar an incredible turnaround, for Nintendo, the war is already lost. And I think it’s time to admit defeat and move on.

Wii U is not next-gen. It’s still stuck in 2005. Sure, it’s a got a superb, high-res touchscreen, which is technically superior to Sony’s PS Vita Remote play (at least at present) and this comes in the box with the console, but essentially Wii U is technically on a par with last-gen machines, aping the Wii’s winning tactic from the previous era. But where Vita was never intended to be an intrinsic part of PS4 and has just turned out to work extremely well with it, the GamePad was meant to be a big part of the Wii U experience. And it hasn’t proved its worth in that respect."

http://www.gamesradar.com/its-time-nintendo-admit-defeat-and-make-true-next-gen-console/

It is Game Over for the WiiU.

#2 Posted by farrell2k (6130 posts) -

Time to admit defeat? Did you miss the fact that they're the only one actually making money in the gaming market? lol

Too many people seem to forget the really slow start the 3ds and ps3 had...

#3 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3575 posts) -

Haven't you made this thread before?

#4 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4134 posts) -

DK: TF

X

Smash

Mario Kart

SMTxFE

Bayonetta 2

Zelda Wii U

I think it's ok. Games matter, sales don't. Wasn't that the mantra of every Sony and Microsoft fan for the last 6 years?

#5 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (668 posts) -

#6 Posted by BadNewsBarrage (42 posts) -

The only reason the Wii did well, is because its gimmick was a flash in the pan
Wii U's gimmick failed, and thus so will the Wii U

#7 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26730 posts) -

Oh look, it's THIS thread again...

Even if a journalist is saying it, it still asking for suicide all the same. If they make a new console this soon, NO ONE will give a s***, even less than the Wii U. No matter how powerful it is, or it launches with some "spectacular" third party support (which would still be overlooked because, oh look, a piece of the "triforce" appeared, let's focus all on that), it will be overlooked because too many gamers will pay attention to the PS4/XBOX ONE by that point.

#8 Edited by MonsieurX (30256 posts) -

It's time for you to admit your secret crush on Nintendo

#9 Edited by AtariKidX (6277 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

It's time for you to admit your secret crush on Nintendo

It is true....i can't hide anymore.

#10 Posted by bbkkristian (14953 posts) -

How's that 3DS doing? Sony should just admit defeat for its Vita.

#11 Posted by Blabadon (26349 posts) -

Then the Vita is a carcass in an old grave, ain't it?

#12 Posted by charizard1605 (57726 posts) -

Sure, just as soon as Sony stops pushing the Vita, sound like a fair trade to you?

#13 Posted by Heil68 (44579 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Sure, just as soon as Sony stops pushing the Vita, sound like a fair trade to you?

To me it does. Make it happen Charz. WiiU is officially dead according to Sheep King!!11

#14 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Wow repeating the 2 previous posts. How insightful and savvy you must be to just copy what others say.

#15 Posted by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

And leave the market to the other two terrible consoles? What a terrible idea.

#16 Posted by handssss (1836 posts) -

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

DK: TF

X

Smash

Mario Kart

SMTxFE

Bayonetta 2

Zelda Wii U

I think it's ok. Games matter, sales don't. Wasn't that the mantra of every Sony and Microsoft fan for the last 6 years?

this is the correct stance for the gamers. However, sales do matter for a company. Everyone talking about the Wii U in such a negative light as of late is doing so because it's not selling. At first it was "wait until Pikmin 3" then it was "wait until Windwaker HD" and then we had "wait until Super Mario". People still aren't buying the system. The new consoles sold more in one day each than Nintendo did in almost their entire year-long head start. To top it all off, 1 large problem is one that could've been easily avoided. People don't even know the Wii U is a new system. They think it's an accessory still.

#17 Edited by charizard1605 (57726 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@charizard1605 said:

Wow repeating the 2 previous posts. How insightful and savvy you must be to just copy what others say.

Wow, I'm actually contributing something to the discussion in an AtariKid thread of all things, while you are, as per usual, not. I don't know about insightful and savvy, but at least I have something to say.

#18 Posted by PonchoTaco (2140 posts) -

You must really have a thing for the Wii U.

#19 Edited by Micropixel (905 posts) -
@AtariKidX said:

"Wii U is in big trouble. According to CVG News, analysts are confidently predicting that Nintendo will fail to meet its projected sales target of 9 million consoles by the end of 2013. They’re also predicting profit projections will be missed, and that it will only ever sell a quarter of the number of units its predecessor, the Wii, did. Most startlingly, PS4 has already outsold Wii U’s lifetime sales to date in the UK. Bar an incredible turnaround, for Nintendo, the war is already lost. And I think it’s time to admit defeat and move on.

Wii U is not next-gen. It’s still stuck in 2005. Sure, it’s a got a superb, high-res touchscreen, which is technically superior to Sony’s PS Vita Remote play (at least at present) and this comes in the box with the console, but essentially Wii U is technically on a par with last-gen machines, aping the Wii’s winning tactic from the previous era. But where Vita was never intended to be an intrinsic part of PS4 and has just turned out to work extremely well with it, the GamePad was meant to be a big part of the Wii U experience. And it hasn’t proved its worth in that respect."

http://www.gamesradar.com/its-time-nintendo-admit-defeat-and-make-true-next-gen-console/

TIME TECH disagrees with you: 10 Reasons I’d Pick the Wii U over the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Today

AND... your beloved CVG also said this: Forget XBOX One and PS4, the smart choice for Christmas is Wii U

#20 Edited by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

Time to admit defeat? Did you miss the fact that they're the only one actually making money in the gaming market? lol

PS 4 is selling at a very slight loss with PS plus expected to generate $1.2 billion annually. Also factor in the rise of digital game sales where Sony will make much more than the $10 they currently make off of most game sales.

#21 Posted by farrell2k (6130 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@farrell2k said:

PS 4 is selling at a very slight loss with PS plus expected to generate $1.2 billion annually. Also factor in the rise of digital game sales where Sony will make much more than the $10 they currently make off of most game sales.

And I bet they still won't turn a profit. They had one quarter in 5 years last gen where they actually made some money, which of course was immediately offset by their losses. The xbox brand is also in the hole $3,000,000,000 the past decade.

#22 Edited by AtariKidX (6277 posts) -

@Micropixel said:
@AtariKidX said:

TIME TECH disagrees with you: 10 Reasons I’d Pick the Wii U over the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One Today

AND... your beloved CVG also said this: Forget XBOX One and PS4, the smart choice for Christmas is Wii U

EA agree with me........"The Wii U is crap. Less powerful than an Xbox 360. Poor online/store. Weird tablet,"

#23 Edited by Comduter (2174 posts) -

Anyway, I'm planning on buying a Wii U soon. Super Mario Bros 3D World looks too good to pass up.

#24 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

@Cranler said:

@farrell2k said:

And I bet they still won't turn a profit. They had one quarter in 5 years last gen where they actually made some money, which of course was immediately offset by their losses. The xbox brand is also in the hole $3,000,000,000 the past decade.

PS 3 was sold for huge losses and now they launch with PS 4 selling at a very small loss with the PS plus mp req and the day one digital store. Things are very different this time around.

MS was losing a lot on each 360 plus they had the whole rrod debacle. Things are quit different in the MS camp this time around as well.

#25 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25371 posts) -

It be funny if WiiU continues on ward for 5 years with articles like this continually popping up.

#26 Edited by Micropixel (905 posts) -

@AtariKidX said:

@Micropixel said:
@AtariKidX said:

EA agree with me........"The Wii U is crap. Less powerful than an Xbox 360. Poor online/store. Weird tablet,"

EA is wrong. GPGPU Tech is new and nowhere to be found in last gen consoles. Shin'en already put EA (and others who fail to understand the new tech) on blast with this article here.

Also, Shin'en is putting out a game on Wii U that will use 4k - 8K textures within the game. Got any PS4 titles doing that yet? I promise you, last gen consoles couldn't do it at all.

#27 Edited by ronvalencia (15114 posts) -

@AtariKidX said:

@Micropixel said:
@AtariKidX said:

EA's Need of Speed Most Wanted Wii U edition is superior to Xbox 360 and PS3 editions. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-need-for-speed-most-wanted-wii-u-face-off

#28 Posted by Meinhard1 (6769 posts) -

Releasing two systems a few years apart, as the article suggests, would really hurt Nintendo's image, and cost them a ton of money.

#29 Posted by ronvalencia (15114 posts) -

@Micropixel said:

@AtariKidX said:

@Micropixel said:
@AtariKidX said:

EA is wrong. GPGPU Tech is new and nowhere to be found in last gen consoles. Shin'en already put EA (and others who fail to understand the new tech) on blast with this article here.

Also, Shin'en is putting out a game on Wii U that will use 4k - 8K textures within the game. Got any PS4 titles doing that yet? I promise you, last gen consoles couldn't do it at all.

Xbox 360 has it's own GpGPU features e.g. BF3 Xbox 360 edition.

Wii U's Readon HD uses VLIW5 design which is harder to optimised than SIMD based ATI/AMD GPUs e.g. Xbox 360's Xenos and AMD GCN.

In theory, VLIW5 design yields more instruction per cycle when compared SIMD4 model.

#30 Posted by trugs26 (5501 posts) -

I hope sales get better, because right now it has the best games, and it has the best line up of games projected for 2014 so far.

Also, a lot of people stating "Nintendo should give up" - I think this would be a cop out. Give it a bit more time, things may change. If in another year's time, sales are still abysmal, then they should consider pulling the plug. At the moment, it's been a year, it's too early to give up.

#31 Edited by babycakin (1551 posts) -

Lol RetardiKidX, hey guys Wiiiiiiiiiiiii EWWWWWWWWW!!!

#32 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

Don't try to put the Vita and the WiiU in the same shoes. Take off your fanboy shades and see that they're not. The difference between the Vita and WiiU is that Nintendo's only selling points (Mario and Zeolda) have already been implemented and have failed miserably. They best thing they can do now is they can come up with new IPs that people will want, but the irony is that we all know for a FACT that people mostly buy nintendo consoles for iconic games like Zelda and Mario titles, but those titles have already failed to perform. So, with the poor hardware causing poor 3rd party support, Nintendo is pretty much out of cards. These aren't opinions but FACTS.

The Vita's appeal isn't limited. Sony just needs to find a niche to get it to sell. The difference between the Vita and the WiiU is that it's not limited in reasons or appeal. It's not limited to factors like nostalgia or hardcore fanbase. It can go plenty directions with no problem. The WiiU and Vita can be much better than where they are now in terms of sales, but please don't lie to yourself and pretend they're on the same boat. And also you're comparing a handheld to what's supposed to be an 8th gen console. You're trying to defend the WiiU but ironically you just gave it the biggest insult anyone can ever give.

#33 Edited by KBFloYd (13676 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

@charizard1605 said:

Don't try to put the Vita and the WiiU in the same shoes. Take off your fanboy shades and see that they're not. The difference between the Vita and WiiU is that Nintendo's only selling points (Mario and Zeolda) have already been implemented and have failed miserably. They best thing they can do now is they can come up with new IPs that people will want, but the irony is that we all know for a FACT that people mostly buy nintendo consoles for iconic games like Zelda and Mario titles, but those titles have already failed to perform. So, with the poor hardware causing poor 3rd party support, Nintendo is pretty much out of cards. These aren't opinions but FACTS.

The Vita's appeal isn't limited. Sony just needs to find a niche to get it to sell. The difference between the Vita and the WiiU is that it's not limited in reasons or appeal. It's not limited to factors like nostalgia or hardcore fanbase. It can go plenty directions with no problem. The WiiU and Vita can be much better than where they are now in terms of sales, but please don't lie to yourself and pretend they're on the same boat. And also you're comparing a handheld to what's supposed to be an 8th gen console. You're trying to defend the WiiU but ironically you just gave it the biggest insult anyone can ever give.

so you are saying the vita has a chance to recover and wiiU does not?

I don't agree..

they both have a chance...

a real Zelda game has not come out... Mario kart has not come out and smash bros has not come out...Metroid has not come out....starfox..fzero..Kirby..donkey kong is coming in a month...

it has not depleted all its franchises yet.

it has a chance to sell well this year...

all xbox has is titanfall and destiny....ps4 has the order666,infamous and destiny..

not sure when final fantasy, metal gear or kingdom hearts will come out

#34 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@John_Matherson said:

@charizard1605 said:

so you are saying the vita has a chance to recover and wiiU does not?

I don't agree..

they both have a chance...

a real Zelda game has not come out... Mario kart has not come out and smash bros has not come out...Metroid has not come out....starfox..fzero..Kirby..donkey kong is coming in a month...

it has not depleted all its franchises yet.

it has a chance to sell well this year...

all xbox has is titanfall....ps4 has the order666 and infamous

not sure when final fantasy, metal gear or kingdom hearts will come out

No they both have a chance, but the point is that Nintendo has hit the wall and needs to find a way to bounce back because their go-to remedy (Zelda, Mario) aren't working. The Vita hasn't hit the wall yet...just hasn't found its niche

#35 Edited by KBFloYd (13676 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

No they both have a chance, but the point is that Nintendo has hit the wall and needs to find a way to bounce back because their go-to remedy (Zelda, Mario) aren't working. The Vita hasn't hit the wall yet...just hasn't found its niche

Nintendo hit a wall but vita has not?

vita tv...vita slim ring a bell..

it seems vita hit a wall with its hardware and wiiu hit a wall with software....

vita just needs to release good games that appeal to mainstream..

wiiU's might have to lower the price of its hardware,add a harddrive? then launch 2 of their biggest franchises...smash bros and Mario kart.

but... if xbox or ps4 passes wiiU's lifetime sales before mid 2014....then yes I think Nintendo has no chance to recover.

#36 Posted by Basinboy (11174 posts) -

Wii U is a secondary system and Nintendo is pricing it out of relevance. The item inflating cost is the gamepad and Nintendo has very few options left that don't include phasing it out of production (assuming they plan on keeping the Wii U marketable for another 4-5 years). There is always the option to simply eat the cost, but doing so may likely cost Iwata his job.

Nintendo is at a crossroads as a company: mobile is booming and the market is demanding more from their consoles than what Nintendo provides. They need to reassess the gaming and technology landscape and visualize where they want to be 10 years from now. Currently, they're on the pathway to irrelevance and catering to a niche audience.

#37 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151089 posts) -

I hate to ask this...but I think I must. Why does it matter to you if Nintendo chooses to make and sell the Wii U? You don't like it...so what? No one really cares dude.

#38 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

I hate to ask this...but I think I must. Why does it matter to you if Nintendo chooses to make and sell the Wii U? You don't like it...so what? No one really cares dude.

Not the point. The point is that the WiiU isn't doing good and Nintendo is almost out of options. Why does it matter? Because the WiiU isn't doing well and Nintendo is almost out of options.

#39 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151089 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Not the point. The point is that the WiiU isn't doing good and Nintendo is almost out of options. Why does it matter? Because the WiiU isn't doing well and Nintendo is almost out of options.

No the point is he's raging about something that is absolutely silly to rage about. I doubt either of you hold stock options with Nintendo. I doubt either of you have seen Nintendo's books. I doubt either of you are supporting Nintendo's business.

You don't like their console....don't buy....but it's extremely ridiculous to act like you are an expert on the finances of Nintendo.

#40 Posted by dr_jashugan (2580 posts) -

FAIL > WiiU

#41 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@John_Matherson said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

No the point is he's raging about something that is absolutely silly to rage about. I doubt either of you hold stock options with Nintendo. I doubt either of you have seen Nintendo's books. I doubt either of you are supporting Nintendo's business.

You don't like their console....don't buy....but it's extremely ridiculous to act like you are an expert on the finances of Nintendo.

He's not raging and neither am I. Actually, you are. Nothing we've said are opinions but are theories gathered based on FACTS. You're saying it doesn't matter to us cause we're not nintendo supporters or fanboys, but it does matter to the stock holders or the expert of nintendo finances or the supporters of Nintendo. It does matter.

#42 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151089 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@John_Matherson said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

He's not raging and neither am I. Actually, you are. Nothing we've said are opinions but are theories gathered based on FACTS. You're saying it doesn't matter to us cause we're not nintendo supporters or fanboys, but it does matter to the stock holders or the expert of nintendo finances or the supporters of Nintendo. It does matter.

Facts? Or just assumptions. I don't think Nintendo shared their financial books with anyone. And you're not a stock holder nor an expert on Nintendo's finances. So you're just making assumptions. FYI...I'm not raging. I'm just surprised at the two of you that obviously counter to what you stated...have some personal agenda with the failure of Nintendo. I'd imagine the 3DS is helping them out financially. I doubt it's as dire as you want to believe....and yes you do come across as wanting the company to fail.

#43 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@John_Matherson said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@John_Matherson said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Facts? Or just assumptions. I don't think Nintendo shared their financial books with anyone. And you're not a stock holder nor an expert on Nintendo's finances. So you're just making assumptions. FYI...I'm not raging. I'm just surprised at the two of you that obviously counter to what you stated...have some personal agenda with the failure of Nintendo. I'd imagine the 3DS is helping them out financially. I doubt it's as dire as you want to believe....and yes you do come across as wanting the company to fail.

It's not a secret that the WiiU isn't doing well. Only way you won't see this is if you're a fanboy and you're voluntarily blind

#44 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151089 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@John_Matherson said:

It's not a secret that the WiiU isn't doing well. Only way you won't see this is if you're a fanboy and you're voluntarily blind

Or maybe I understand business just a bit better than you do and know that one division does not mean a company is failing.

#45 Posted by RimacBugatti (1287 posts) -

I cant say that Xbone is that much better than Wii U.

#46 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@John_Matherson said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@John_Matherson said:

Or maybe I understand business just a bit better than you do and know that one division does not mean a company is failing.

Yeah but he wasn't talking about Nintendo, he was talking about the WiiU. Yes, we know he said Nintendo but the actual context of the OP applies to the WIiU not nintendo in general

#47 Edited by ronvalencia (15114 posts) -

@RimacBugatti said:

I cant say that Xbone is that much better than Wii U.

As an owner of Radeon HD 8870M (640 stream processors at 775Mhz with GCN) with 72 GB/s GDDR5 slim laptop, Xbone is much better Wii U (slower than my Radeon HD 5730M based laptop).

#48 Edited by Newhopes (4561 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@farrell2k said:

PS3 cost Sony somewhere in the region of $6 billion in loses(maybe alot more due to PSN hack), Xbox was starting to claw back it's loses and Nintendo made roughly $20 billion in profits last Gen.

Nintendo are fine

#49 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -

@Newhopes said:

@Cranler said:

@farrell2k said:

PS3 lost Sony somewhere in the region of $6 billion in loses(maybe alot more due to PSN hack), Xbox was starting to claw back it's loses and Nintendo made roughly $20 billion in profits last Gen.

Nintendo are fine

Nintendo did lose $81 million in the last quarter. Quite bad for a company that sells it's consoles well above cost.

#50 Posted by Newhopes (4561 posts) -

@Cranler said:

@Newhopes said:

@Cranler said:

@farrell2k said:

PS3 lost Sony somewhere in the region of $6 billion in loses(maybe alot more due to PSN hack), Xbox was starting to claw back it's loses and Nintendo made roughly $20 billion in profits last Gen.

Nintendo are fine

Nintendo did lose $81 million in the last quarter. Quite bad for a company that sells it's consoles well above cost.

$81 million is nothing when you have $11 billion in the bank.