It's Official: Descent to get a reboot!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

One of the very first games I played that caused me to fall in love with PC Gaming will finally get a reboot of the franchise.

After 15+ years the great 90's game series Descent will see a reboot called Descent: Underground. The game reached it's kickstarter goal little over a week ago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground/posts/1195767

Interesting, I finished Forsaken around 6 month's ago, which was one of the last great 6-Dof type games ( btw you could get it Forsaken for free now) and was wondering why they stopped making 6-Dof type games. I remember thinking when I first played Descent 1 that this game is really cool as it wasn't a 2D game or FPS shooter. It really had a 3D type of feel to it with great deal of freedom that games during that time didn't have.

It's nice to see all these great reboots of 90's games happening with Homeworld re-mastered recently, Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad.

Hopefully, the newer generations of gamers who hasn't experienced 6-Dof type of game will finally get to experience it with Descent: Underground.

BTW, if you still want to contribute even though the kickstarter has reached it's goal you can do so via the company's website, here.

Raptor_Herc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Raptor_Herc
Member since 2013 • 330 Posts

Neat. I used to play Descent 3 in the early 2000s. Being the first FPS I played, I sucked quite bad at it, but it was fun nonetheless.

ProtossX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ProtossX
Member since 2005 • 2880 Posts

they shoulda made this for mobile let new generation of gamers experience it free

im sick of theses weird pc projects go to mobile get to mobile get those kids into descent game

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

The next closest thing to a modern Descent is Retrovirus.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xtasy26

UPDATE*** New Trailer *** 60 FPS** Using Unreal Engine 4. Looks pretty sweet. Definitely a buy!

Loading Video...

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Nice to see the return of Descent. I haven't played any of those games since Descent 2. I'm happy with the return of modern day Space sims and shooters. I'm currently playing Elite Dangerous and enjoying the hell out of it.....

^ ^ Some pics I took from it. The game is so beautiful.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Xtasy26 said:

One of the very first games I played that caused me to fall in love with PC Gaming will finally get a reboot of the franchise.

After 15+ years the great 90's game series Descent will see a reboot called Descent: Underground. The game reached it's kickstarter goal little over a week ago.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/descendentstudios/descent-underground/posts/1195767

Interesting, I finished Forsaken around 6 month's ago, which was one of the last great 6-Dof type games ( btw you could get it Forsaken for free now) and was wondering why they stopped making 6-Dof type games. I remember thinking when I first played Descent 1 that this game is really cool as it wasn't a 2D game or FPS shooter. It really had a 3D type of feel to it with great deal of freedom that games during that time didn't have.

It's nice to see all these great reboots of 90's games happening with Homeworld re-mastered recently, Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad.

Hopefully, the newer generations of gamers who hasn't experienced 6-Dof type of game will finally get to experience it with Descent: Underground.

Loading Video...

BTW, if you still want to contribute even though the kickstarter has reached it's goal you can do so via the company's website, here.

Descent is one of the biggest classics from the 1990s yet probably the most overlooked one. Anyway, I'm gutted the game's gonna be a MOBA and I've played Forsaken on PS1 and enjoyed it greatly back then. Kudos for bringing it up.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Never heard of it, must be awful. :P

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Really enjoying the return of all those niche subgenres. 6DOF not only is getting new Descent, but Retrovirus was awesome, but also has upcoming Sublevel Zero, w has interesting roguelike spin on the genre.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

This news gets a resounding, mother****ing, YES!!! Descent 2 is currently my 9th favorite shooter game of all time. 1-3 are one of the only games my dad would play with me when I was a kid. There is just something about it that is fun for everyone. I still have that old joystick sitting around somewhere too.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Good to see Eric 'Wingman' Peterson getting his new company off the ground after leaving C.I.G. last year.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xtasy26

@quadknight said:

Nice to see the return of Descent. I haven't played any of those games since Descent 2. I'm happy with the return of modern day Space sims and shooters. I'm currently playing Elite Dangerous and enjoying the hell out of it.....

That game does look nice. I would like to see this type of games become more popular like it was back in the 90s.

@GarGx1 said:

Good to see Eric 'Wingman' Peterson getting his new company off the ground after leaving C.I.G. last year.

I have to give props to the guy for doing that. It seems like all the other devs was willing to let this awesome IP rot. Now, it's time to bring back No One Lives Forever!

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I was ready to say this one had it's day but damn, that looks like a great idea. I think this could work. I remember fondly the first ones but I doubt I could go back and play them now. Still, there is room for a game like this. Bring it own.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Xtasy26

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Never heard of it, must be awful. :P

Blasphemy! You shall be reported.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

One of my favorite games ever.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@quadknight said:

I soon will be playing this on my Xbox One. ;=)

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

I hope they make a console version too. ;)

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jankarcop

@xhawk27 said:

@Jankarcop said:

yeah i can't wait for it to be linear and be designed for slow paced gameplay

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

@xhawk27 said:

@Jankarcop said:

Can't wait to buy the Day 1 DLC.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jankarcop

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Jankarcop said:

@xhawk27 said:

@Jankarcop said:

Can't wait to buy the Day 1 DLC.

Typical cow

OdiusOdium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OdiusOdium
Member since 2015 • 55 Posts

@Xtasy26: Thanks man. Had no idea Forsaken was free these days, Spent a lot of time slaughtering my mates on the ps1 version. Helps if you know the levels :)

This new Descent looks pretty wicked to.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#22 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Looks both beautiful and ehhhhh all at the same time. Love the environment and the atmosphere, do not love the design of the ship itself. It looks too much like those underwater scooters that pull scuba divers around.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I honestly can't remember if I properly played this game back in its day, like played a full version or if I just goofed around a ton on the shareware. I think at some point I ended up with a free copy that came with an issue of one of my monthly PC gaming magazines, just not sure anymore if I ever played it off that. But I remember having a good time anyways, I'd definitely look forward to this.

It would be cool though, along with this, if they re-released the original version, I imagine it would control rather well on a modern dual analog controller.