It feels something is missing with the scores...

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I doubt GS would go to the 0.5 - 5 Scale but that straight up single digit scale is lame for the meta-game. While it does bring down all the fanboy melt down it also makes the review scores less exiting to look at. There was this spark that came from a game scoring an 8 vs a game that scored an 7.5 Now both of these scenarios just get an 8 and call it a day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

I liked it when it was on a scale where we saw scores like 8.7, 6.4, etc.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

Honesty?

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Oh boy another "I don't like how review scores are calculated and displayed" thread.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

They should just get rid off scores altogether. People cling on to them to much.

I really don't care what a game scores anymore when I am excited to play it. I'll enjoy games like Thief, Castlevania, South Park, Titanfall, ... all the same. i'll make up my own mind about how good they are.

The only reason I care about scores is when it makes a fanboy faction cry like the score of Titanfall did. That was funny.

LanceX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LanceX2
Member since 2014 • 312 Posts

cows be cows

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Joedgabe

@R4gn4r0k said:

They should just get rid off scores altogether. People cling on to them to much.

I really don't care what a game scores anymore when I am excited to play it. I'll enjoy games like Thief, Castlevania, South Park, Titanfall, ... all the same. i'll make up my own mind about how good they are.

The only reason I care about scores is when it makes a fanboy faction cry like the score of Titanfall did. That was funny.

I meant it for the meta game... GS reviews themselves are not one of the best. Some of them even have spoilers :s and some just feel like they already had a certain mentality towards the game before playing it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

0.1 ownage was the best

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

@Joedgabe said:

I meant it for the meta game... GS reviews themselves are not one of the best. Some of them even have spoilers :s and some just feel like they already had a certain mentality towards the game before playing it.

The meta game is fun and all. But some people will just flock to MC every time they want a game to score higher or lower than what it scored on GS. So some people will never follow the rules.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

Not only that, but the new Review page presentation is a clusterfuck of a mess. You can't see good/bad ribbons/icons/medals/etc anymore, no easy link to the Video Review and the written Review itself is awkwardly spaced out with enormous stretched videos / pictures that disrupt the viewing angle of everything in the page. Did I mention how useful adblock has become with the influx of ads in Gamespot?

I'm just not digging needless changes.

Gahdumn, GS.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Yeah I liked the 0.5 way better.

People raged here for a 0.5 differents.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

@lancex2 said:

cows be cows

What does this have to do with cows? Are you an idiot?

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:

Honesty?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

the current scale is boring as hell. we all know we're going to see mostly 7s & 8s this gen

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

a 5 point scale is the best I guess... next best thing would be the 100 point scale. I mean if you have a 10 in your scale why not use it.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bforrester420

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Joedgabe said:

The meta game is fun and all. But some people will just flock to MC every time they want a game to score higher or lower than what it scored on GS. So some people will never follow the rules.

I'll never follow the rules. I use MC in the real world as a starting point to research a game's quality, so why wouldn't I use it in the 'fake world'?

Using one reviewer's subjective score of a game as ownage is silly, especially when there's as much suspected corruption in gaming "journalism".

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R4gn4r0k

@bforrester420 said:

I'll never follow the rules. I use MC in the real world as a starting point to research a game's quality, so why wouldn't I use it in the 'fake world'?

Using one reviewer's subjective score of a game as ownage is silly, especially when there's as much suspected corruption in gaming "journalism".

We don't say that you should go by gamespots scores to make up your purchase decision. That is not the rule.

But the rule is that a game flopped or didn't flop when it reaches the score it was hyped as on gamespot. Not metacritic. Some people flock to MC because they didn't want it to flop or wanted it to flop. But that's not how it goes.

Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

I would also add the pros and cons section to the list of things reviewers need to ditch. It seems that several people will only look at the score and then the cons section and then ask why the game only scored a 7 when there is only one negative thing listed (South Park: Stick of Truth being used as an example).

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bforrester420 said:

We don't say that you should go by gamespots scores to make up your purchase decision. That is not the rule.

But the rule is that a game flopped or didn't flop when it reaches the score it was hyped as on gamespot. Not metacritic. Some people flock to MC because they didn't want it to flop or wanted it to flop. But that's not how it goes.

Well if a game gets AAA (9) here on gamespot it should at least be a score close to that on MC (at least between 85-89), not 79 or 80 which Forza 5 has been to really be considered AAA, at least in my opinion. I mean if a game gets AAA here but barely gets AA when considering other reviews, not really a AAA game is it?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@silversix_ said:

0.1 ownage was the best

Yup...

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bforrester420

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bforrester420 said:

I guess I'll just refrain from the "Flop Wars" then.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@silversix_ said:

0.1 ownage was the best

Yup...

lol i remember that....

@bforrester420 said:

@PonchoTaco said:

qft i missed the weighted scores. stupid music rhythm game brought an end to that scoring system

bring back weighted scores and rehire greg k and rich gallup ftw lol

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@StormyJoe said:

@silversix_ said:

0.1 ownage was the best

Yup...

Hahahahahahahaha...Holy shit I remember that. Sigh, good times.

Even the trolls were great back then.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k

@bforrester420 said:

Hahaha, it's your choice, but it can be really hilarious at times. Look at the titanfall thread.

@PS4TrumpsXbox1 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bforrester420 said:

Well if a game gets AAA (9) here on gamespot it should at least be a score close to that on MC (at least between 85-89), not 79 or 80 which Forza 5 has been to really be considered AAA, at least in my opinion. I mean if a game gets AAA here but barely gets AA when considering other reviews, not really a AAA game is it?

I completely disagree. A review is just an opinion, so it can be totally different from other opinions. So yeah, scores can vary and the reviewers have a right to put the score they want to on the game.

I've seen Thief scores range from 6 to 9s and that's normal, because it all depends on how far people are willing to look past its flaws. I can look past the flaws of Thief, and I've found a great game. Not a 9 or anything, but definitely an 8.

I've played many games I liked that reviewers didn't like. Because opinions differ. And so do scores.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

1-10 score is pointless. Especially with .5 increments.

What's the point when 1-5 are rarely if ever used. And how is a game .5 better or worse. How the hell do you quantify gameplay into "well tha twas .5 better."

Stars are the best way to go. The entire scale is used.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Joedgabe

@Bread_or_Decide said:

What's the point when 1-5 are rarely if ever used. And how is a game .5 better or worse. How the hell do you quantify gameplay into "well tha twas .5 better."

stars or .5 - 5 would be the best thing imo, and the .5 scaling was good as to say uhmmm a game that got an 8 had some bugs or glitches and annoyances while a game that got a 9 had a better gameplay now a game that had bugs and glitches but solid gameplay would get like an 8.5. But i agree 1-5 isn't even used, it's only reserved for games like RE6. Which totally deserved that 4.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

I read the review, which somehow made the review more informative than a number. It must be magic or aliens.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silversix_

@StormyJoe said:

@silversix_ said:

0.1 ownage was the best

Yup...

Because some1 says KZ1 was any good?

PS4TrumpsXbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PS4TrumpsXbox1
Member since 2013 • 1371 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bforrester420 said:

Hahaha, it's your choice, but it can be really hilarious at times. Look at the titanfall thread.

@PS4TrumpsXbox1 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bforrester420 said:

I completely disagree. A review is just an opinion, so it can be totally different from other opinions. So yeah, scores can vary and the reviewers have a right to put the score they want to on the game.

I've seen Thief scores range from 6 to 9s and that's normal, because it all depends on how far people are willing to look past its flaws. I can look past the flaws of Thief, and I've found a great game. Not a 9 or anything, but definitely an 8.

I've played many games I liked that reviewers didn't like. Because opinions differ. And so do scores.

While I do agree with you on your point about reviews being just people's opinion and yes they will vary, if a game is AAA it shouldnt vary by a large gap like with Forza 5. On MC Forza has 70 plus critic reviews but only around 20 of them score it at 90 or above, while true AAA exclusives like TLOU and Halo 2 (thought I would give examples from both Sony and MS to appease both the cows and lems) both had just under 100 critic reviews and both had around 75 critic reviews with scores of 90 or above. With those two example critics didnt vary all that much

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@PS4TrumpsXbox1 said:

While I do agree with you on your point about reviews being just people's opinion and yes they will vary, if a game is AAA it shouldnt vary by a large gap like with Forza 5. On MC Forza has 70 plus critic reviews but only around 20 of them score it at 90 or above, while true AAA exclusives like TLOU and Halo 2 (thought I would give examples from both Sony and MS to appease both the cows and lems) both had just under 100 critic reviews and both had around 75 critic reviews with scores of 90 or above. With those two example critics didnt vary all that much

While it's true that there are some large variations on same games and almost no variations on other games, I don't think they can be avoided entirely.

And user reviews range from 0 -10 now that is funny, hahahahaha

I also think that reviews should downrate a game like Forza 5 for being a full priced game filled with microtransactions or a game like BF4 because it launched in a terrible state. Some reviewers do that, others don't.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k

@silversix_ said:

No, because Killzone was hyped up to be a Halo killer.

RoboCopISJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RoboCopISJesus
Member since 2004 • 2225 Posts

There shouldn't be scores anywhere, people should have to read the review and judge for themselves.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silversix_

@R4gn4r0k said:

@silversix_ said:

in what, 2004? we in 2014.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@silversix_ said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@silversix_ said:

in what, 2004? we in 2014.

Thanks for the info.

You were commenting on this:

@silversix_ said:

@StormyJoe said:

@silversix_ said:

0.1 ownage was the best

Yup...

The 0.1 difference or Killzone 1 review didn't happen in 2014 either.

The Killzone flop was funny because it was hyped up as a Halo killer.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#37 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

That was the worst. Score are a very subjective thing too that are different for each genres. Shooters may get much harsher reviews because there are just so many of them and the bar is set pretty high but something like turn based, tactical RPGs are going to be reviewed relative to the games in their genre.

Giving an 8 to a game in one genre and a 9 to a game in a completely different genre doesn't make the second game the better of the two.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I all ways found the 1-5 scale the best. It gives a range for every kind of game. 1 would be complete garbage don't buy, 2 not garbage but not that great, 3 average, 4 above average, 5 amazing. **** with all these .6 .5 reviews. It's just a bunch of people pulling shit out their asses.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

I all ways found the 1-5 scale the best. It gives a range for every kind of game. 1 would be complete garbage don't buy, 2 not garbage but not that great, 3 average, 4 above average, 5 amazing. **** with all these .6 .5 reviews. It's just a bunch of people pulling shit out their asses.

Yup this. For me 1 star = bad, 2 average, 3 good, 4 great, 5 amazing.

Yeah the vast majority of the scale should be used to grade quality.

Right now, at least half the scale is used to signify bad games. What's the difference between a 1,2,3,4 and 5 score? They all suck.

And no there defo shouldn't be 8.7 games compared to 7.9. As you say, that was meaningless.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Scores drive people nuts, just do what the movie industry does and just say if you liked it or not. Remember Cisco and Ebert? Simple thumbs up or thumbs down. Or use 5 star or 4 stars, eventually people will wise up and actually read up on games instead of looking at scores.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#41 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@Zidaneski said:

Scores drive people nuts, just do what the movie industry does and just say if you liked it or not. Remember Cisco and Ebert? Simple thumbs up or thumbs down. Or use 5 star or 4 stars, eventually people will wise up and actually read up on games instead of looking at scores.

I remember Siskel and Ebert. Cisco was an alcoholic beverage and a rapper who wanted to see thongs......................then came out of the closet.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17420 Posts

@heretrix said:

@StormyJoe said:

@silversix_ said:

0.1 ownage was the best

Yup...

Hahahahahahahaha...Holy shit I remember that. Sigh, good times.

Even the trolls were great back then.

Yea, those were the days.

Things died a bit with the .5 scale and now this place is lifeless.

8.5s were the best last gen :P

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

This reminds me of the twilight princess and GT5 meltdowns lol. The scores need to stop.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

What's missing is the fans themselves.

Nowadays fanboys underhype every exclusive to avoid ownage, and if a game "flops" they just go to metacritic anyways.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Yes, it's called integrity.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@PonchoTaco said:

Zaraxius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zaraxius
Member since 2013 • 221 Posts

Well, they do seem to be using more of the scale anyway. And it pushes the developer to choose between giving a game an 8.0 or a 9.0, whereas before it easy to copout with an 8.5.

People said the same thing at the turn of the seventh generation when review scores went from the 0.1 scale to the 0.5 scale. A lot of people complained, but then people just got used to it.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@silversix_ said:

@StormyJoe said:

@silversix_ said:

0.1 ownage was the best

Yup...

Killzone was hyped (as some have already said) as "teh Halo Killer". Then, it scores less than a Hello Kitty game. Epic ownage of cows.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

What's the point when 1-5 are rarely if ever used. And how is a game .5 better or worse. How the hell do you quantify gameplay into "well that twas .5 better."

exactly. This is the effect of the .1 or .5 increments:

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

@Gue1 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

What's the point when 1-5 are rarely if ever used. And how is a game .5 better or worse. How the hell do you quantify gameplay into "well that twas .5 better."

exactly. This is the effect of the .1 or .5 increments:

Holy shit still remember when Greg kasavin used to review everything with alot analysis and that great 0.1 review scale unlike today

But hell times changes, things never stay the same.