Issue with sytlus only controlled action games like Zelda DS (long read)...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 freeload
Member since 2003 • 8139 Posts

Is it possible that by making Zelda DS controlled entirely by the stylus that the game may actually be a little bit less stimulating and enjoyable?

I noticed when playing Warioware DS vs. original Wareware on the GBA that the GBA version was actually more fun to play, and it wasn't because Warioware DS wasn't as well designed (many of the mini-games were almost the same etc), it was because using both my right and left hand to control two seperate inputs (d-pad and buttons) on the GBA version actually required a little more concentration and brain activity. This is due to the fact that each hand is wired to the opposite hemispere of the brain so when I use my right hand I am stimulating the left hemisphere and visa versa for the left hand, thereby both hemispheres are constantly being stimulated and engaged.

When I was playing Warioware on the DS I noticed that always using the right hand with the stylus wasn't as engrossing or stimulating or fun somehow, and I think it may be due to the lack of stimulating each hemisphere by not having to concentrate on what each hand is doing and dual processing my actions and responses. I think this actually made the game less engaging and fun than the original. Not by a huge margin but it was noticable. Also the fact that there are less permutations and options availabe with using a stylus versus the combinations of a d-pad and buttons is probably another reason that I felt less challenged and mentally stimulated when playing Warioware on the DS too. The blowing games where an even better example, where there are basically only two blow actions performed over and over; either quick puffs or a long blow. The blowing games were just not that stimulating or fun.

I think there is a danger that Zelda DS may be just a little bit more detached and repetitive than a version that uses a combination of left and right handed controls and the varitey that offers, as well as the extra stimulus of the brain, and I think it may ultimately reduce the potential fun people have just a tiny little bit more than if it were using the traditional d-pad and buttons (ala previous Zeldas) or a combination of the d-pad and stylus or buttons and stylus.

Think about it. The range of actions you can perform using only the stylus is limited to basically either tapping, swiping or drawing different basic patterns and shapes. How much can limited set of actions, performed entirely with one hand, trully stimulate your brain and flex your motor responses?

I doubt it will have a major effect on the overall enjoyment of the game because your full brain will still be stimulted by the visuals, sound, story, gameplay and so on, but I think there may just be that little extra spark of interaction/immersion/fun missing from the game, and I wonder if many people will realise that this fully stylus based control, especially on an action game like Zelda, may actually be part of the cause of this.

Try a simple exercise/action if you will; in the air play an imaginary game using both hands (holding and imaginary control pad) to quickly tap various directions and buttons on the pad at the same time (with various combinations and speeds etc). Now try using and imaginary stylus on an imaginary screen with only your right hand. Making various taps and motions.

Is it possible that the dual handed combination feel just a little bit more stimulating and fun because your brain has to concetrate on both hands performing different actions etc. Did the d-pad and button combination maybe feel a little bit more enjoyable too?

Just something to think about...

:)

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
As a enormous fan of Diablo 2 which employs a very simialr control scheme I am not at all worried.
freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freeload

As a enormous fan of Diablo 2 which employs a very simialr control scheme I am not at all worried.cakeorrdeath

Does Diablo use only the mouse and no keyboard buttons at all?

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]As a enormous fan of Diablo 2 which employs a very simialr control scheme I am not at all worried.freeload

you can play Diablo with just the mouse but you can also use the keyboard. 

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cakeorrdeath

[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]As a enormous fan of Diablo 2 which employs a very simialr control scheme I am not at all worried.freeload

The keyboard can be used for hot keys, but that is about it. 

Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts

I think you're reading far too much into this.  There are a lot of other reasons that you might enjoy the original Warioware more than Touched that seem more likely than the number of hands you are using.  In my opinion the DS effort is probably the weakest in the series (bar the GCN multi/party thing).

An experiment you may want to try is loading Warioware Twisted (imo best of series) into a GBA SP and playing it with one hand or two hands and comparing the experience.

Of course, one of the microgame sets USES ONLY the "A" button (no twisting!) and is probably one of the better sets in the game. 

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freeload
[QUOTE="freeload"]

[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]As a enormous fan of Diablo 2 which employs a very simialr control scheme I am not at all worried.cakeorrdeath

The keyboard can be used for hot keys, but that is about it. 

I see.

Well like I say anyway. I don't think Zleda DS won't be a great game or anything. I just think it may lack a little bit of that extra engagement and immersion that comes with having to concentrate on the operation of both hands to play, and the dual processing that comes with playing games in that traditional way, which stimulates the whole brain a little more actively.

I know it was noticable on Warioware DS but that was only because I was actually looking for a reason as to why I wasn't quite enjoying it as much as the previous games, even though the game in it's own right was still fun anyway...

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cakeorrdeath

I see.

Well like I say anyway. I don't think Zleda DS won't be a great game or anything. I just think it may lack a little bit of that extra engagement and immersion that comes with having to concentrate on the operation of both hands to play, and the dual processing that comes with playing games in that traditional way, which stimulates the whole brain a little more actively.

I know it was noticable on Warioware DS but that was only because I was actually looking for a reason as to why I wasn't quite enjoying it as much as the previous games, even though the game in it's own right was still fun anyway...

freeload

I am not sure I want very deep gameplay on my portable system anyway to be honest but I personally don't think I will feel less engaged because I am using one hand rather than two.

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freeload

I think you're reading far too much into this.  There are a lot of other reasons that you might enjoy the original Warioware more than Touched that seem more likely than the number of hands you are using.  In my opinion the DS effort is probably the weakest in the series (bar the GCN multi/party thing).

An experiment you may want to try is loading Warioware Twisted (imo best of series) into a GBA SP and playing it with one hand or two hands and comparing the experience.

Of course, one of the microgame sets USES ONLY the "A" button (no twisting!) and is probably one of the better sets in the game. 

Iyethar

I agree that it is probably not a major thing but I think it will have a subtle and possbily even noticable effect on how much fun people have interacting with the game and performing the actions required from the game.

Doing what you were saying with one hand or two hands on Warioware Twisted, except I have to image it since I don't actually have the game, I actually think it does somehow feel just more immersive or fun or something using both hands to perform the action. It just feels that little bit better...

Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts
You can't honestly say you've tried the experiment unless you play the game.  Borrow it or something.
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
Don't know, but Ninja Gaiden could prove otherwise. AFAIK, all the buttons 'block' and everything else is stylus controlled.
The_PirateKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_PirateKing
Member since 2005 • 9714 Posts
~-~Ok, first off, I don't see why people liked the other Wario Ware games better. 80% of the games were "press A at the right time" in one way or another. But I do agree with the blowing thing, those sucked. I also felt Twisted was always the same old same old. You tilt it that way, you tilt it this way, you tilt it that way, you tilt it this way. Touched was the best IMO. Now, about Zelda, I don't think it's not going to be as good because you only use one hand. I think it's not going to be as good because controlling a character with only a touch screen sucks. I tried it on Animal Crossing and it just doesn't work as well. I really hope that they let you use the D-Pad and buttons on that game cuz it's gonna kill it for me if they force me to do it that way.~-~ ~-~Edit: Oh, and I think people liked the other Wario Ware games more than Touched! because it took so long to speed up. I mean you have to get to like 60 before it gets good and 80-100 before it gets impossible while in the other games it's like really hard to get 60.~-~
freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freeload

^^^^ I did enjoy Warioware Touched but I liked the feel of the original just a little bit more.

Hence why I am worried that I may actually just prefere to play a Zelda game with traditional controls rather than using the stylus and touch screen all the time.

I use the d-pad and buttons instead of the touchscreen on both Animal Crossing DS and in Pokemon DS (for battles) etc, along with many other games that have both options, because usually it just feels a little better...

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freeload

You can't honestly say you've tried the experiment unless you play the game.  Borrow it or something.Iyethar

I know I haven't played Twisted using the actual twist controls but I have played other games with twist/motion controls (like Excite truck or Motor Storm using tilt vs Motor Storm using analogue stick etc) and I have at least played the other two versions of the game. I think actually playing the game while trying to determine which control feels better and engages you more in it's own right (single handed twist of double handed twist) may actually distract you a little bit from actually paying attention to the difference fully, since you will be enjoying the game too much. lol

I still think Warioware Twisted will feel a little better playing it which both your hands than one hand though, even though that assumption is based soley on putting both my hands in the air and making a steering wheel motion vs putting only one hand in the air and making the same motion.

It's mainly based on my experience of playing all these games that were originally controlled with a d-pad/control stick and buttons but now use the stylus or even motion control instead (on Wii), and in virtually every instance the original control option just feels better. I always use the control pad option in Animal Crossing for example.

I just think using the sylus and motion controls etc in games that they are actually suited or even created entirely for, like Brain Training on DS, or gun style shooting games on Wii (which are great for it's pointer control) etc, is a better option. This makes me worry that even though Zelda will still be a great game, just as Animal Crossing is, that it might not have felt even better if it just used standard controls, because that is kinda what the whole game is traditionally designed around and I am not sure if they will have made it trully feel better, or even as good as, with the stylus alone.

I'm sure it will still be brilliant but I just wonder if the stylus only option is a better solution or maybe if it is just another solution, that in itself may not actually be quite as intuitive and fun as the alternative may have been...

nnavidson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nnavidson
Member since 2006 • 934 Posts

This was me:

3d Zelda on the DS.... AWESOME!

Stylus controls only...... nevermind.

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 freeload

This was me:

3d Zelda on the DS.... AWESOME!

Stylus controls only...... nevermind.

nnavidson

lol

It would be cool if they had both options but somehow I have a feeling this time that won't be the case...

Â