Isn't it time for a change in regards to Mario's story?

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

We've been saving the same damn princess since 1985 and nothing really has changed. Sure we went 3D and into outer space, big deal. At the end of the day the goal is still the same, kill Bowser and save Peach.

Why is Nintendo so afraid of changing things up in terms of plot?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Change whatever you want... Gameplay is all that matters.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

>Implying that you never played a Mario RPG game.

or Super Mario 3D World which you actually play as Princess Peach so there goes your argument.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Mario is a kiddy franchise. It doesn't really need to evolve to sell.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

You don't save princess peach in super mario 3d world.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@SolidGame_basic

Changing the Story is not an Evolution.... Thats pandering to the Movie entusiasts.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

1. 3D World didn't have princess peach being kidnapped and you were in a whole new kingdom.

2. Mario Galaxy added a nice twist to the typical plot and introduced Rosalina and the Luma's, two wonderful additions to the marioverse.

3. So yeah they already did and if you truly want a change play the mario rpg's or luigi's mansion. And accept that main mario games will wrap it's awesome gameplay into a very basic story that doesn't really matter anyway.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bread_or_Decide

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Only little kids call Nintendo and Mario kiddy.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Something like Spec Ops: The Line would be great. Mario questioning his actions. Has to be voiced by Nolan North, obviously.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

You are missing the point by a huge margin.

If you want some cinematic bullshit, go play Halo.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Super Mario games don't rely on a plot to provide motivation, they rely on interesting level design. Having a blast until the very end of a level, then wanting to press forward just so you can see what Nintendo's developers throw at you next. That personally sums up Super Mario Galaxy, for example, as it does with other Super Mario games.

Complemented by a generally great soundtrack, i never needed a plot to push me on.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

How would you change it OP?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LegatoSkyheart

@Lucianu said:

Super Mario games don't rely on a plot to provide motivation, they rely on interesting level design. Having a blast until the very end of a level, then wanting to press forward just so you can see what Nintendo's developers throw at you next. That personally sums up Super Mario Galaxy, for example, as it does with other Super Mario games.

Complemented by a generally great soundtrack, i never needed a plot to push me on.

Yep. The Main Mario Platformers was all about the Challenge not so much as saving the Princess.

MagnusTheOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MagnusTheOne
Member since 2004 • 190 Posts

What we need is a game where Mario shakes off his misogynistic/patriarchal/sexist viewpoint and realizes that Peach doesn't need to be saved. The instead becomes a game about Peach tapping into her inner power to embrace that she doesn't need some man to save her.

She then defeats Bowser and usurps his throne, coincidentally becoming the main antagonist in the next game where Mario is kidnapped and must be saved by Princess Daisy.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bread_or_Decide

@Lucianu said:

I cannot play a mario game without collecting every damn thing in it. I always dread and look forward to each new mario game...but I know it will be 30-40 hours of pure joy to collect everything and open up all the secret areas.

I'm in crown galaxy in 3D World and now I already know I'm going to go for those final stamps by completing each stage with each character. DAMN YOU NINTENDO DAMN YOU.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Mario RPGs

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By emgesp

@LegatoSkyheart said:

or Super Mario 3D World which you actually play as Princess Peach so there goes your argument.

There are few exceptions. The NA version of Super Mario Bros. 2 doesn't count since it was originally a totally different game called Doki Doki Panic with different characters. Nintendo decided to just switch them out with Mario characters for NA. The vast majority of Mario games share the same plot. Mario's goal is to save Peach. Sorry, but it is feeling stale now. Almost 30 yrs of the same crap.

I just think Nintendo is being lazy. Sure, people can have the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, but isn't that just an excuse to just be lazy?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@emgesp

Yes... The Studio that Prides itself on making actual Games instead interactive movies is "Lazy".... That must be it ! :p

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@emgesp said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

There are few exceptions. The NA version of Super Mario Bros. 2 doesn't count since it was originally a totally different game called Doki Doki Panic with different characters. Nintendo decided to just switch them out with Mario characters for NA. The vast majority of Mario games share the same plot. Mario's goal is to save Peach. Sorry, but it is feeling stale now. Almost 30 yrs of the same crap.

I just think Nintendo is being lazy. Sure, people can have the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, but isn't that just an excuse to just be lazy?

Well for one I wasn't talking about Mario 2.

and two, I'm pretty sure that NONE of the Mario RPGs feature Bowser as the Main Villain nor have Peach being "Kidnapped", they usually end up being party members.

and Again The Main Mario Series isn't so much as for Plot as much as it's for The Challenge. It's been like that since Mario was called "Jumpman" in Donkey Kong.

And if you want Mario with a Narrative. Play Super Mario Sunshine. While the Plot ended up being a "Save the Princess" deal. The Princess doesn't actually get Kidnapped till midway through the game, before then it was kind of a "Who Framed Mario" type of game mixed in with Community Service.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

We need another adventure in the bean kingdom. it would be awesome.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

They should make Mario an actual plumber.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I actually thought New Super Mario Bros (Wii) was the best Mario game since the SNES Mario World.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#24 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

It honestly just is not necessary. Others have already mentioned the Mario RPG games. If you want a good story with brilliant writing centered on the Mushroom Kingdom, play a Mario & Luigi or Paper Mario.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bread_or_Decide

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@emgesp said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

and two, I'm pretty sure that NONE of the Mario RPGs feature Bowser as the Main Villain nor have Peach being "Kidnapped", they usually end up being party members.

and Again The Main Mario Series isn't so much as for Plot as much as it's for The Challenge. It's been like that since Mario was called "Jumpman" in Donkey Kong.

And if you want Mario with a Narrative. Play Super Mario Sunshine. While the Plot ended up being a "Save the Princess" deal. The Princess doesn't actually get Kidnapped till midway through the game, before then it was kind of a "Who Framed Mario" type of game mixed in with Community Service.

And Mario Sunshine is not remembered very fondly.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

It's a platformer. Gameplay and design are what matters in this genre. They shouldn't waste time on story.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@emgesp said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Sunshine was fantastic.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 emgesp

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@emgesp

Yes... The Studio that Prides itself on making actual Games instead interactive movies is "Lazy".... That must be it ! :p

What is wrong with interactive movies? Also, what qualifies one to be considered an interactive movie? Just a game with a lot of cut scenes?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By emgesp

@Pikminmaniac said:

It's a platformer. Gameplay and design are what matters in this genre. They shouldn't waste time on story.

What huge innovations have we seen in Mario games lately in terms of gameplay? The last one I can think of was the jump to 3D with Mario 64.

RaunchyTacos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 RaunchyTacos
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Why change the greatest story ever told?

Guy steals your bitch. You find the guy, kill him and his friends by stomping them to death, get your bitch. Love happy long time at the castle. End.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@emgesp

Honestly... I don't know... I'm not a very good fanboy :(.

Anyway If you want a platformer that focuses more on Story instead of gameplay I'm sure you'l find one. I can't think of a game that does both, is it possible to tie platforming as a central them to a narrative ?

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

For the next 21st century version, to be banned in Russia, Mario will be saving Luigi.

haha.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Sunshine was fantastic.

Yeah, wtf Bread.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Mario is too boring of a character to waste a fun story on. I'd like to see new gameplay mechanics though, because that's what really has become stale to me.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Bread_or_Decide

@emgesp said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

What huge innovations have we seen in Mario games lately in terms of gameplay? The last one I can think of was the jump to 3D with Mario 64.

Level design. The latest was gravity in the Galaxy games. The mechanics played with gravity in many interesting ways.

Sunshine had the water squirter.

3D world implements four player co-op into much larger 3D environments and making the action more vertical thanks to the cat suit.

The 2D games do not however change up the gameplay much even though the level design is also excellent. But it's the 3D games that house most of the ingenuity in level design and gameplay mechanics.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bread_or_Decide

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Sunshine was fantastic.

Yeah, wtf Bread.

I said remembered fondly. (The popular concesus online seems to always shun Sunshine in favor of galaxy and 64.)

I've never played Sunshine but it certainly seems to be the black sheep of the 3D mario games. But if Nintendo released an HD remake for the Wii U I would play it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

1. Not even true.

2. Wouldn't care if it was.

Every second that I'm forced to watch the minimal story in a Mario platformer feels like a second wasted. I'd rather they just ditch it altogether tbh, I go to Mario for pure gameplay and nothing else.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By emgesp

@ConanTheStoner said:

1. Not even true.

Every second that I'm forced to watch the minimal story in a Mario platformer feels like a second wasted. I'd rather they just ditch it altogether tbh, I go to Mario for pure gameplay and nothing else.

How many Mario games involves Mario beating Bowser to save the Princess? Now compare that to the amount of Mario platformers where the goal isn't to save the Princess.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@Lucianu said:

I cannot play a mario game without collecting every damn thing in it. I always dread and look forward to each new mario game...but I know it will be 30-40 hours of pure joy to collect everything and open up all the secret areas.

I'm in crown galaxy in 3D World and now I already know I'm going to go for those final stamps by completing each stage with each character. DAMN YOU NINTENDO DAMN YOU.

That's exactly how i feel, i always try and collect everything in each level of a Mario platformer. I just spend my time digesting the games at my own leisure, with almost every single second being pure fun.

@ConanTheStoner said:

1. Not even true.

I personally loved Rosalina and her backstory in Galaxy. It felt so .. warm, added a little more charm to a already breathtaking game.

I wouldn't mind more of that minimalistic tidbits of plot thrown in Mario games that fit right at home.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

They could turn Mario in to a fucking arsehole like Kratos out of God of War, where you go between worlds fucking shit up and kill those poor defenseless animals because you think they are bad, then half way through the game you find out Mario is not the hero of the story.

I think it could be a good thing for Nintendo to do some more adult themes.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The story in Mario is practically non-existent. It's not meant to be the drive for the player to advance through the levels. The physical challenge of overcoming the obstacles in your way is the reason to play the game.

And you clearly haven't played any of the Mario/Paper Mario RPG games.

Super Mario RPG has Bowser teaming up with Mario and Peach to fight Smithy.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emgesp

@foxhound_fox said:

The story in Mario is practically non-existent. It's not meant to be the drive for the player to advance through the levels. The physical challenge of overcoming the obstacles in your way is the reason to play the game.

Just because the story is non-existent doesn't mean they should just stick to the status quo going forward. I mean is New Super Mario Bros U really that different from Mario 3 or Super Mario World? You know games that are over 20 yrs old.

BTW, I'm talking about the main Mario games, which are platformers. Mario RPG is a totally different kind of game.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

I want a new mario rpg on console. 3d world just wasn't that great imo.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

Lol brogamers

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@emgesp said:

Just because the story is non-existent doesn't mean they should just stick to the status quo going forward. I mean is New Super Mario Bros U really that different from Mario 3 or Super Mario World? You know games that are over 20 yrs old.

BTW, I'm talking about the main Mario games, which are platformers. Mario RPG is a totally different kind of game.

Why does Mario need a different story? What importance of having him do something else will change your experience playing the games?

You didn't specify which games you were talking about. I rebutted with examples of Mario games with drastically different stories.

Also, if you want something different, have you played Super Mario Bros. 2 or Yoshi's Island? Mario platformers with a totally different story.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@emgesp said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Well, there are Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario World 2, Mario Land 2, Sunshine, Super Princess Peach, and Super Mario 3D World.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Not all games need a story. And tacking on a story on a non story driven game is pointless, and could end up even hurting the quality of the game.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

These episodes of Mad Mad Mario address some of these issues.

Warning: DO NOT WATCH IF YOU DON'T LIKE FOUL LANGUAGE.

Loading Video...