Isn't it sad that TLOU won't be GOTY contender here on GS?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ihsanqueen (866 posts) -

For me, TLOU is my game of the generation. It is one of the game who combine storytelling, gameplay, atmosphere, likable characters, good pacing all in one piece. Sadly, one of GS reviewer didn't quite like it and only scoring the game 8/10.

Now maybe many of you will said "WTF, 8 out of 10 is still a good score." Yeah, I agree, 8 is still a good score. But one thing for sure here on GS: Almost every year, all of 10 Gamespot GOTY Contender, most of them score 9, and almost none of them scored only 8. You can say TLOU is definitely WON'T BE Gamespot GOTY and GOTY contender for this year, which is actually a bit sad. Because TLOU is really special, at least for me

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (36429 posts) -

Pretty sure plenty of other sites will award it that title, so you can celebrate that.

#3 Edited by tonitorsi (7611 posts) -

Will be Game of the Year 2013 everywhere else regardless of GS.

#4 Posted by PS360Wii4eva (291 posts) -

Thank god there are more gaming sites then gamespot

#5 Edited by Netret0120 (1539 posts) -

It will show how silly Gamespot are when several reputable sites give it GOTY and it isn't even a contender here.

GTA5/TLOU will sweep most sites and

#6 Posted by nervmeister (15053 posts) -

Don't ALL the reviewers on GS have a say as to which games get nominated?

#7 Posted by Blabadon (23796 posts) -

"Didn't quite like it?"

What kind of insufferable moron are you?

#8 Edited by withe1982 (429 posts) -

I still think GS will add it to their short-list but will never give it GOTY however many people vote for it.

Just take a look at Tom McShea on the front of GS today doing some Abe Lincon thing. Guy's a tool, and an unfunny one at that. Should never have been given TLOU to review in the first place.

Still think it'll get GOTY on IGN and a fair few others, who still gush over it today. Even Charlie Brooker named it 2nd in the "How Video Games Changed The World" documentary recently (for UK viewers here), and he's a proper journalist. Not just a games one.

#9 Posted by jg4xchamp (45956 posts) -

No it's not sad

#10 Edited by Muffin2020 (492 posts) -

Unless Tom picks the GOTY by himself why won't it win?

#11 Edited by tonitorsi (7611 posts) -

So much Naught God luv, thread is flawless. <3

#faithredeemed

#12 Posted by bobbetybob (18853 posts) -

That's not how GOTY works...

GOTY is picked based on all of the editors opinions so yes it could still get the award if everyone else at GS thinks it deserves it.

#13 Posted by ihsanqueen (866 posts) -

GOTY is picked based on all of the editors opinions so yes it could still get the award if everyone else at GS thinks it deserves it.

I know, but there's no game before which only scored 8.0 but get nominated as GOTY Contender here on GS

So yeah, score still matters

#14 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3646 posts) -

Nothing Gamespot does surprise me

#15 Edited by Zelda187 (458 posts) -

Knowing GS, they'll probably give it to GTA V.

Which is pretty damn sad.

#16 Posted by bobbetybob (18853 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:

I know, but there's no game before which only scored 8.0 but get nominated as GOTY Contender here on GS

So yeah, score still matters

Obviously games that got 9/10 scores are going to be the primary picks for GOTY but if they were ever going to nominate a game with a lower score then I think TLOU would be the one they'd pick. Who knows though, looking at the list of games they've given 9/10 to this year there's some pretty strong contenders in there so they might not give TLOU a chance.

#17 Posted by Minishdriveby (9583 posts) -

I don't know. I haven't played it yet. It comes in the mail today, but I'm in the middle of Deadly Premonition and then finals are next week, so I probably won't play it for another couple of weeks either.

#18 Edited by Heil68 (40500 posts) -

It will win it other places for sure, but yeah not here. Regardless it's my GOTY and one of the best games of all time for me and according to critics theirs too.

#19 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (5698 posts) -

My copy came in the mail yesterday, and I plan on playing it or AC4 after I finish Super Mario 3D World. I'm not expecting a GOTY contender in any way shape or form, but hopefully I will be surprised.

#20 Edited by dommeus (8968 posts) -

For me, TLOU is my game of the generation. It is one of the game who combine storytelling, gameplay, atmosphere, likable characters, good pacing all in one piece. Sadly, one of GS reviewer didn't quite like it and only scoring the game 8/10.

Now maybe many of you will said "WTF, 8 out of 10 is still a good score." Yeah, I agree, 8 is still a good score. But one thing for sure here on GS: Almost every year, all of 10 Gamespot GOTY Contender, most of them score 9, and almost none of them scored only 8. You can say TLOU is definitely WON'T BE Gamespot GOTY and GOTY contender for this year, which is actually a bit sad. Because TLOU is really special, at least for me

They're entitled to their opinion as much as any one.

#21 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

I don't care what anyone thinks of it anywhere....ever. I loved the game and enjoyed it a lot, that's all I really care about.

I don't have some deep seeded need to have things that I like to be publicly praised by complete strangers so I can justify my enjoyment by feeling like Im part of mass opinion.

#22 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8280 posts) -

Not sad at all. Naughty Dog haven't produced anything worth a GOTY nomination in over a decade IMHO.

I'd rather something that showcases excellent gameplay and/or level design to win. Stuff that showcases the strength and uniqueness of this medium.

#23 Posted by sukraj (20600 posts) -

I haven't played TLOU so I cant comment on that game but I'm playing GTA V at the moment and I'm having a blast there is so much to see and do in the game.

#24 Posted by Netret0120 (1539 posts) -

LMFAO@Pikminmaniac hahahahahah

Nothing GOTY in over a decade?!

Lol someone hasn't played Uncharted/TLOU

#25 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (4973 posts) -

No game that forces stealth onto the player should be awarded anything, regardless of how good the storytelling is.

#26 Edited by Mozelleple112 (6527 posts) -

TLOU will be the ultimate GOTY

#27 Posted by Joedgabe (4987 posts) -

I really doubt it. GS only awards GOTY to games it has given reviews 9 or higher. As far as i've seen.

#28 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2616 posts) -

In case you haven't seen GS goty awards before, they don't base it on score.

#29 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8280 posts) -

No, people can dislike those games quite legitimately. In fact I have a massive laundry list of complaints about all the crappy decisions Naughty Dog made with Uncharted 2 in order to make it one of the most dull and unintertaining experiences I've had all generation. It's as if the game was designed specifically to antagonize any notion I've ever had on good game design.

My PSN is Pikminmaniac and if you check my trophy list, you'll see that I gave this game a lot of second chances to try and see what others see in it, but I just cannot understand the appeal. To me it's just a bad game.

I'll admit I haven't played TLOU yet but I've only seen and heard bad things from watching play-throughs and word of mouth from friends. It sounds like it makes a lot of the same crappy design choices. They care far more about cinematic appeal and story than gameplay and I care far more about gameplay and/or exploration than story.

If it's worth anything, I couldn't get into games like the Bioshocks either.

#30 Posted by Lucianu (9215 posts) -

Someone doesn't comprehend what opinions are.

#31 Edited by ZoomZoom2490 (3907 posts) -

it just goes to show you the power of M$$$$$

#32 Posted by ShepardCommandr (1530 posts) -

Nope.

GTA V is goty

#33 Posted by madsnakehhh (13915 posts) -

It will be nominated, TLOU is a pretty big deal, now will it win? i doubt it, chances are GTAV will win, hopefully Super Mario 3D World will win.

IMO this will be the nominated for this year:

TLOU, Bioshock Infinite, ACIV, GTAV, Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda ALBW, The Puppeteer and Fire Emblem Awakening.

#34 Posted by GreySeal9 (23309 posts) -

Seems to me that you need to find more important things to be sad about, TC.

#35 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (5571 posts) -

I remember a PC game getting only an 8 here, and that won GOTY. But still the score is not relevant, since that's not how GOTY works. It's picked by the staff here at GS, and not by only one person.

#36 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (15952 posts) -

I don't find it sad. But then again, the only thing I use this site for is it's forums.

#37 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4115 posts) -

Knowing GS, GOTY will go to whichever publisher paid the most money or whichever one threatens to pull their advertising.

#38 Edited by Gue1 (8090 posts) -

if they nominate Beyond 2 Souls because it got a 9 but not TLOU I'll be LMAO. Beyond wasn't even as good as Heavy Rain... On the VGX I'm pretty sure it's gonna win though considering that the trending it's so far ahead of even GTAV it's crazy. People want it to win.

http://www.spike.com/vgx

over 4,000 for TLOU while the others below start at 1,000 posts. ;)

#39 Posted by Krelian-co (9110 posts) -

you do know that goty is voted between multiple people as opposed of having the game reviewed by the single worst reviewer ever?

#40 Posted by Krelian-co (9110 posts) -

I don't find it sad. But then again, the only thing I use this site for is it's forums.

same, not even for game footage the reviews are worth watching lately.

#41 Posted by Giancar (19002 posts) -

My Goty candidates: (just for the sake of it)

• LoU and Bioshock Infinite
  • GTA5

Any of those 3 win and I will be a happy guy. =)

#42 Posted by Jankarcop (8020 posts) -

its a movie, not a game. so no.

#43 Posted by mems_1224 (44762 posts) -

And why does some website's game of the year matter? does it affect your enjoyment of the game?

#44 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

And why does some website's game of the year matter? does it affect your enjoyment of the game?

It matters becausE this is system wars and in the game of system wars, winning GOTY is worth a lot of points.

#45 Posted by with_teeth26 (5845 posts) -

It doesn't deserve the honor, its a good game, 8.0 is about right for it, not in my top 5 for 2013 though. Still i'd much rather TLOU win than Beyond which might have a better chance here at this point. *shudders*.

I'm pulling for Metro or AC4 myself.

#46 Posted by CleanPlayer (9688 posts) -

It really doesn't matter to me all if Last Of Us is a GOTY contender on GS. It's my GOTY and that's good enough for me

#47 Edited by Netherscourge (16271 posts) -

I hope Resogun or Flower win GOTY just to stick it to everyone who trashes indie games.

That would restore my faith in gaming.

#48 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6048 posts) -

of the games weve seen this year (and the last bit of last year) The Last of Us is no were near what I consider a contender either, so I wont find it problematic, it was a good game, but it got a pass on so many flaws that it is not even funny, like piss poor ai, a lack of reaction from the World on Ellie and other NPCs.

It certainly was not a bad game, but we have had better games. But then Again maybe it is just the naughty dog games I somehow have a troubled relationship with? The gameplay in those games rarely met up to the standard that gamers claimed that they did, outside presantation they were rarely all that earthshattering.

Edit: and yeah: I would like to see Resogun win or atleast get high praise, I have grown oh so tired of games trying to be movies (and failing at both). Flower I am doubtful of, since I don't think it can, it is a rerelease right? then it will not be nominated I think, but would not mind that either.

#49 Posted by Joedgabe (4987 posts) -

I hope Ni No Kuni wins! or at least get's nominated... it deserves that much ;)

#50 Posted by turtlethetaffer (15583 posts) -

I find it hilarious.