SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

I played about 16 hours or so I find it to pretty blah. For one thing, having to adjust the camera all the time got annoying quick. Having to use the Wii Mote didn't help either. The kind of attacks you do are boring (slash the side, slash the front, slash the back, etc), it's like a weird version of monster hunter. There's a ton of side quests which are so repetitive and minuscule I really don't see the point of doing them. I think the only thing it really has going for it so far is the story. Having played Xenogears, I didn't expect it to fall short in that department. But anything else seems a bit tedious and not fun. Am I the only one? Should I hang in there and see if it gets better?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

No, it's not overrated, it's great for what it is, but what it is doesn't necessarily appeal to everybody. I know personally, I had to stop about 16 hours into the game, simply because I wasn't necessarily 'getting' it.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

2nd best JRPG of last gen imo.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

It's a really tough question. It was a great game. I think it's more necessary for Nintendo fans than if it was brought out on one of the other consoles. I.e. if it was a sony ip people wouldn't bring it into every conversation. People need to bring it up because it justifies their purchase more. But it was a great game.

And the thing is, it would've been much better in HD which only proves my point. Nintendo could create the best games (they create good ones, not always and not automatically better than everyone elses but nevertheless they can create good games) but by cheaping you out on the technology they aren't as good as they could be.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 93BlackHawk93

Have anyone played The Last Story? It's always in XC shadow.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

All I know is that the sidequests suck.

The rest of the game is great though.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I dunno, people seemed to like it. I haven't played it yet, though I still plan to.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

Yeah, kind of agree that the game is overrated.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

I like XC alot..as I like just going everywhere you can go...& doing the gem things :) I like managing equipments/gem stuff...as DocSanchez stated ..yea I too would have love to see this game on a more powerful system (at the time)..hopes X on Wii U delivers. :P

Last Story was ok..I didn't like as much too enclose & very easy..completed the game without dying (on first play through). Didn't like the story either - poor kid meets royalty girl ...poor kid falls in love with girl only to find out she will be married off the a not good royalty man..so fighto!! :P characters just look abit better than XC characters

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Yes, every good game is overrated

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 93BlackHawk93

@superbuuman said:

I like XC alot..as I like just going everywhere you can go...& doing the gem things :) I like managing equipments/gem stuff...as DocSanchez stated ..yea I too would have love to see this game on a more powerful system (at the time)..hopes X on Wii U delivers. :P

Last Story was ok..I didn't like as much too enclose & very easy..completed the game without dying (on first play through). Didn't like the story either - poor kid meets royalty girl ...poor kid falls in love with girl only to find out she will be married off the a not good royalty man..so fighto!! :P characters just look abit better than XC characters

How much would have changed besides HD graphics and better characters models?

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Considering the "Xeno" namesake it's overrated but comparatively in the genre it's amazing.

It's just no Xenosaga trilogy or Xenogears, at least imo.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@93BlackHawk93: You act like those two aren't big things on their own. The game looked rubbish on my television. It didn't need to. It had a good style about it. I really like to be wowed by graphics, especially in a game of that nature, and it would have been a much better game for it.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

What's the best?

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

@93BlackHawk93: @93BlackHawk93: I actually enjoyed The Last Story more than Xeno. The voice acting was great and the side quests were not repetitive and took a lot of thought. But most importantly it was the awesome combat in TLS that i greatly enjoyed. Though I felt like a lot of boss battles were too easy, the battle system was very action packed but still methodical. I also enjoyed how many different ways you could fight an enemy. The only thing I thought was bleh were the very fuzzy graphics and the story (kind of ironic) though the ending was kind of good.

Xeno is also a great game but I felt that the combat was not as tight as it could have been, I think the camera is partly to blame. And I hardly looked at any sidequest because the main game was so long. I wouldn't call it overrated though, it was still a fantastic game.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@underdog123x said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

What's number 1?

:P

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#18 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I felt the game had a bit of a slow start. The combat gets better as you go further because new things get introduced. If you still can't get into it, then I guess it's just not your game.

I personally loved it.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 superbuuman

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@superbuuman said:

How much would have changed besides HD graphics and better characters models?

well in XC things look good far away move closer then it looks ugly ..for one thing the main character Shulk wouldn't have look like a egg painted face. armors and enemies, improved weapon effects explosion, the giant enemies would look better too close up, improved animation & texture, less slowdown when battling some enemies..more enemies on screen...Im just saying if on 360/PS3 it would have *look* much better...on Wii hardware you could tell they had to do sacrifice alot of visuals. Nothing wrong with wanting a better visual for a good game. :P

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 93BlackHawk93

@DocSanchez said:

@93BlackHawk93: You act like those two aren't big things on their own. The game looked rubbish on my television. It didn't need to. It had a good style about it. I really like to be wowed by graphics, especially in a game of that nature, and it would have been a much better game for it.

Well, to each his own. I personally prefer: gameplay > story > soundtrack > graphics. Not saying that graphics are not important.

@underdog123x said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

What's number 1?

@Minishdriveby said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

What's the best?

Dark Souls.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45097 Posts

@Demonjoe93: I hope so, I will keep giving it a try

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

the combat system imo is extremely rigid in that you cannot attack a creature even a couple of levels above your own. also the cooldown system takes a little getting used to. the USP of the game however is the story and the world. the art style is so awesome that i trudged along inspite of me not digging the combat much

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Nope.So tired of the " I'm not liking it, so it must be overrated" thread.

The ending is the best part so stick it out TC you will regret it later.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 93BlackHawk93

@mexicangordo: @superbuuman: I see... I still have my TLS copy unplayed. :P

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#25 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

@Demonjoe93: I hope so, I will keep giving it a try

If you're not doing it already, I would recommend switching out party leaders regularly. It helps mixes things up since characters have different styles.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

I enjoyed quite a bit but after 11 hours it just started to get super boring. I'll go back to it eventually, but it conpletely deflated my hype for X.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By superbuuman

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@DocSanchez said:

Well, to each his own. I personally prefer: gameplay > story > soundtrack > graphics. Not saying that graphics are not important.

@underdog123x said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

What's number 1?

@Minishdriveby said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

What's the best?

Dark Souls.

lol...I still need to play this. :P

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Nope, it's rating is right where it should be. It's my favorite game; surprised I don't think it's underrated?

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

If only it was in HD though...

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@lostrib said:

Yes, every good game is overrated

Even the original Portal?

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 93BlackHawk93

@bbkkristian said:

Nope, it's rating is right where it should be. It's my favorite game; surprised I don't think it's underrated?

I'm shocked Xeno bro! :3

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@DocSanchez said:

@underdog123x said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

What's number 1?

@Minishdriveby said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

What's the best?

Dark Souls.

Good sir.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bbkkristian

@93BlackHawk93: It's a masterpiece, and the Xeno bros recognize that. I couldn't ask for any more, especially with X announced for localization in the states. B)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

I couldn't get into it at the time, but it's one of those games I really want to give another chance.

I don't see massive hype for it though. People just say it's a good jrpg and better than last gens FF games. I mean, that's really not saying a whole lot.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 93BlackHawk93

@bbkkristian: How do you think X is going to be named? I'm thinking Xenodoll. :P

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

The combat is fun and the story is interesting, but everything else is pretty meh. The characters in particular are just awful..

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

@PhazonBlazer:

What a bunch of jokers.

What a bunch of jokers.

What a bunch of jokers.

What a bunch of jokers.

What a bunch of jokers.

What a bunch of jokers.

What a bunch of jokers.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bbkkristian

@93BlackHawk93: XenoSword or XenoEarth.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I felt it was a great game with some drawbacks, mainly the combat felt a bit samey after a while but really, that's nearly every RPG.

If there's one thing I'd have to nitpick, is that I got really sick of seeing the Monado after a while, You get new versions of it but they're few and far apart. that's kind of the problem when you give the main character such a crazy good weapon at the start.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

It's a really tough question. It was a great game. I think it's more necessary for Nintendo fans than if it was brought out on one of the other consoles. I.e. if it was a sony ip people wouldn't bring it into every conversation. People need to bring it up because it justifies their purchase more. But it was a great game.

And the thing is, it would've been much better in HD which only proves my point. Nintendo could create the best games (they create good ones, not always and not automatically better than everyone elses but nevertheless they can create good games) but by cheaping you out on the technology they aren't as good as they could be.

Well, I don't really believe that its Nintendo ties have anything to do with its reception. I thought it was an excellent game, but you won't hear me saying it was better than Valkyria Chronicles, a Sony exclusive. It was comfortably the third best RPG of last gen, behind Valkyria Chronicles and The Last Remnant, which were neck and neck for the top spot, imo.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

Considering the "Xeno" namesake it's overrated but comparatively in the genre it's amazing.

It's just no Xenosaga trilogy or Xenogears, at least imo.

There will never be another Xenogears for me, that game was just so ahead of everything else, From it's story, characters, writing, gameplay and expert pace. Xenosaga was decent but it just didn't hold a candle, Xenogears was just Epic.

Seriously love that game.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@DocSanchez said:

Well, I don't really believe that its Nintendo ties have anything to do with its reception. I thought it was an excellent game, but you won't hear me saying it was better than Valkyria Chronicles, a Sony exclusive. It was comfortably the third best RPG of last gen, behind Valkyria Chronicles and The Last Remnant, which were neck and neck for the top spot, imo.

but valkyria chronicles is a SRPG.. not really a comparison

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 93BlackHawk93

@bbkkristian: One thing that worries me is that they may somehow turn it into a MMO. >.>

svetzenlether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 svetzenlether
Member since 2003 • 3082 Posts

One of my favorite games in the last few years, for sure! Definitely not overrated.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45  Edited By DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Xenoblade Chronicles was very good, but I don't feel it was as amazing as some made it out to be.

The quests/optional content was overall pretty weak IMO. I liked that the quests were more streamlined and made it so that some could be finished while just playing through the game normally, but the quests themselves were pretty generic and uninteresting. I remember the leveling system being kind of off in that any enemy that was a couple levels above you could easily crush you, while any enemy below or equal to your level was otherwise a breeze. Thankfully the battle system was pretty good.

As far the story goes, it was overall pretty meh and I found myself caring about it less as the game went on. The game had some great settings and music though.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

@PhazonBlazer said:

If only it was in HD though...

Play on PC with the HD texture pack and 4X native resolution, doesnt look bad at all.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

One of the best games from last gen. I enjoyed all 136 hours of it.

Oh and the soundtrack was godly. I would sometimes just play the game just to hear the OST.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Depends entirely on what you adjective it hasn't earned.

The best jrpg ever, one of the all time greats, one of the best games of the gen: probably overrated in that regard(definitely as a GOAT status game). It benefits a lot from being on a platform with no jrpgs. Kind of like Golden Sun, which was great, but some of it's fanbase reaction is super hyperbole.

The game is great: No then it's probably not overrated. From what I've played of the game it seems on point. Solid scale when you take into account it's on the wii, the combat is nice and the game doesnt' take super long to teach it to you, if you can play it on PC(yes yes i know, not legal) you can play it on a better interface(it's battle system is more fluid on a keyboard), and so far the narrative while still being videogame dumb, hasn't entered jrpg dumb yet. So it's got that going for it. It's pretty legit.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

I wouldn't go as far as calling it overrated. It wasn't my kind of game, probably why I'm not interested in project x game coming to wiiu.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#50 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58911 Posts

Generally speaking, all console games are overrated. PC is the only thing as (as a people) can count on.