is xbox live worth the money? vs PS3 online

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by fsem10 (737 posts) -
considering ps3 online is free and the system comes already with a built in wireless network
#2 Posted by fsem10 (737 posts) -

considering ps3 online is free and the system comes already with a built in wireless network

whats the main difference??? i know xbox 360 has the headset, so you can talk between games but anything else

#3 Posted by dotWithShoes (4901 posts) -

#1, yes its worth it..

#2, why the hate for wired connections? WiFi isn't all that and a bag of chips.

#4 Posted by cheapness1 (883 posts) -
well u get in-game messaging/invites with live...
#5 Posted by Antikyth3ra (636 posts) -
Wired Connections are much more stable. Playing online video games on a wireless connection is a poor choice for anyone. I drill holes in my walls before going wireless. Actually thats what I did. Oh and yes Xbox live Is worth it.
#6 Posted by EmperorSupreme (7661 posts) -

I don't think Live is worth the money for several reasons...

I don't like that Microsoft is trying to make it the industry standard to pay with your friends and family online. Nobody else does that. Imagine if Nintendo, Sony, Steam, Xfire, Gamespy, Battle.net, etc... all adopted MS policy of paying to play. That's what MS wants and it would be horrible as a gamer having to pay multiple online fees. I made the decision to keep online free so I would never support Live.

#7 Posted by EmperorSupreme (7661 posts) -

I don't like that Microsoft is trying to make it the industry standard to pay to play with your friends and family online. Nobody else does that. Imagine if Nintendo, Sony, Steam, Xfire, Gamespy, Battle.net, etc... all adopted MS policy of paying to play. That's what MS wants and it would be horrible as a gamer having to pay multiple online fees. I made the decision to keep online free so I would never support Live.

#8 Posted by Haziqonfire (36344 posts) -
I dont think paying for online is worth it at all. I buy a $50+ game then i pay to play it online? cool.
#9 Posted by fsem10 (737 posts) -

dotWithShoes

not hating on wired ...just think its chincy that xbox dosnt have it built in. im prob going to have to run a wire from one of the rooms to my room if i get the xbox and save 100+ $$

#10 Posted by fsem10 (737 posts) -

dotWithShoes

not hating on wired ...just think its chincy that xbox dosnt have it built in, its just a money grab. im prob going to have to run a wire from one of the rooms to my room if i get the xbox and save 100+ $$

and nice idea about drilling a hole in the wall...i think im going to the that...i was planning on running a the ethernet in the hallway

#11 Posted by thrones (12178 posts) -

I don't think it's worth the money.

However, there's no other choice if you want to play 360 games.

#12 Posted by cheapness1 (883 posts) -
could ppl saying it's worth it possibly put a couple of reasons WHY it's worth paying for...?
#13 Posted by dotWithShoes (4901 posts) -

could ppl saying it's worth it possibly put a couple of reasons WHY it's worth paying for...?cheapness1

Mainly because its my money, and I wanna pay it.

#14 Posted by thrones (12178 posts) -

[QUOTE="cheapness1"]could ppl saying it's worth it possibly put a couple of reasons WHY it's worth paying for...?dotWithShoes

Mainly because its my money, and I wanna pay it.

That's not a real reason... :|

#15 Posted by black_awpN1 (7863 posts) -
Until In game XMB comes out, LIVE is almost always be preceived as better.
#16 Posted by akif22 (16012 posts) -

i think that if you play online a lot it is

but i'm more of a single player gamer, who goes online now and again

i can afford to keep playing £40 a year but it's not really worth it for me

#17 Posted by Arsenal325 (4899 posts) -
no..
#18 Posted by black_awpN1 (7863 posts) -
I also dont like the fact that you have to wait for a Thur, to get an update with PSN. They should come out the day they are released, not the Thur. of.
#19 Posted by Antikyth3ra (636 posts) -
I pay for Xbox live because I have lots of friends that play Online video games and Xbox live lets me see whos online and whos doing what in a split second. It is easy to contact them and after I see what my friends are doing I can join them in-game with the push of a button. Also .. It's Cheap. I have an Xbox 360 I like to play online so I pay for xbox live. It isn't expensive and it lets me have fun.
#20 Posted by EmperorSupreme (7661 posts) -
I keep wondering how long X360 owners are going to be playing online. Sure X360 is hot now and some people are okay paying or it, but what happens a few more years down the road when your not playing it all the time? Lets say you want a game of Halo down the road but you realize you didn't renew your subscription is it going to be worth it then?
#21 Posted by TheWiikestLink (1730 posts) -

Live is alright,it gets DLC/patches faster,the download speed is faster than PSN,it has ALOT more content than PSN,and it has ingame custom music and built in XMB which is a plus to invite ur friends...or chat....where it comes down to it is the lag online....which i experience it in medium occassions,but then again same for the ps3...and teh ps3's is free,and it is as steady as live.

imo is live worth it? No.do i think live is better than PSN now? yes.But when home comes out psn will be better...alot better.

#22 Posted by ReverseCycology (9768 posts) -
[QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

Gamers who plays online alot and are very competitive will definitely get their moneys worth with Xbox Live. PSN just feels like playing online and being competitive online is not as hardcore as playing on Xbox Live. PSN suits those PS3 owners (notice I said PS3 owners and not gamers) that wants to casually try out playing online.

black_awpN1

Online Play is online play, theres really no differnce in that area.

Online play is online play, but the difference is how committed and competitive you are playing online, and my point were gamers that plays games online over Xbox Live are more committed and competitive than PS3 owners that plays games over PSN. This is why MLG have competition using Xbox Live in games like COD4, Halo 3, etc. and also this is why Madden Nation competitions uses the 360 and Xbox Live for their competition. Xbox Live just gives you more ranking statistics and all that good stuff.

#23 Posted by Antikyth3ra (636 posts) -

[QUOTE="Antikyth3ra"]Wired Connections are much more stable. Playing online video games on a wireless connection is a poor choice for anyone. I drill holes in my walls before going wireless. Actually thats what I did. Oh and yes Xbox live Is worth it.deadmeat59
only if you have a poor wi fi set up . My wi fi is highend and it downloads and surfs at the same speed as the main pc in the net work .

My Wireless is just as fast as my Wire as well but it isn't as stable it never is.

#24 Posted by jimm895 (7703 posts) -

[QUOTE="deadmeat59"][QUOTE="Antikyth3ra"]Wired Connections are much more stable. Playing online video games on a wireless connection is a poor choice for anyone. I drill holes in my walls before going wireless. Actually thats what I did. Oh and yes Xbox live Is worth it.Antikyth3ra

only if you have a poor wi fi set up . My wi fi is highend and it downloads and surfs at the same speed as the main pc in the net work .

My Wireless is just as fast as my Wire as well but it isn't as stable it never is.

My wireless connection is just as good as the wired connection on the main PC on my network. As for paying for a on-line service after paying a premium price for a game is just a rip-off.

#25 Posted by Dante2710 (63142 posts) -

1.content

2.community

3.interface

#26 Posted by ChiChiMonKilla (2339 posts) -

Is live worth it for the online play imo no!!

However the have some good gamers that give you some comp unlike psn where there are mostly casual gamers besides the sports games. The only pc with a higher level of comp is on pc just my 2 cents. If you are a casual gamer then imo live is a waste of money not too mention the lag that pops up.

#27 Posted by opex07 (2236 posts) -

Taken from another thread.

• Infrastructure that allows the community to self-govern with:
    • Gamer zone
    • Rep
    • Prefer/avoid
    • Feedback, monitored by an international team. This same team randomly joins game sessions to police behavior
  • 2 levels of matchmaking:
    • Preference-based with the features listed above
    • Skill-based using the proprietary TrueSkill system
  • Functional cross-game invite system that brings you straight into a friend's session
  • Closed, secure network that actively checks for modded consoles
  • Compared to the competition, MS seems to be the best connected to its community
    • Then there's MS personnel dedicated to the Xbox Live community like Major Nelson and Trixie
    • They have MVP, Ambassador and Community Developer Programs. See the gamercards in our sigs? MS didn't make those. But they do have their programmers help community sites.
    • Community Calendar with Ladies Night, Prime Time and Family Game Night, Play with Devs, Game With Fame

VoodooHak

As well some multiplats receive exclusive content like betas, donwloadable content, and other things left out in PS3 versions. Some multiplats even have online play for xbl while not for PSN.

#28 Posted by opex07 (2236 posts) -

• Gamer zone
    • Rep
    • Prefer/avoid
    • Feedback, monitored by an international team. This same team randomly joins game sessions to police behavior
  • Functional cross-game invite system that brings you straight into a friend's session
  • Every game supports voice communication
  • Compared to the competition, MS seems to be the best connected to its community
    • Then there's MS personnel dedicated to the Xbox Live community like Major Nelson and Trixie
    • They have MVP, Ambassador and Community Developer Programs. See the gamercards in our sigs? MS didn't make those. But they do have their programmers help community sites.
    • Community Calendar with Ladies Night, Prime Time and Family Game Night, Play with Devs, Game With Fame

VoodooHak

As well some multiplats receive exclusive content like betas, donwloadable content, and other things left out in PS3 versions. Some multiplats even have online play for xbl while not for PSN. PSN is even missing features seen on the original xbox like full voice chat, and a unified friends list.

until another console offers the same, Its worth it imo

#29 Posted by Dante2710 (63142 posts) -

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

• Gamer zone
    • Rep
    • Prefer/avoid

opex07

As well some multiplats receive exclusive content like betas, donwloadable content, and other things left out in PS3 versions. Some multiplats even have online play for xbl while not for PSN.

this is well written...props to whoever wrote this.......also....they should offline downloads to that, i think its a cool extra :D
#30 Posted by Dante2710 (63142 posts) -

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

• Gamer zone
    • Rep
    • Prefer/avoid

opex07

this is well written...props to whoever wrote this.......also....they add should offline downloads to that, i think its a cool extra :D
#31 Posted by C_BozkurT_C (3580 posts) -

Gamers who plays online alot and are very competitive will definitely get their moneys worth with Xbox Live. PSN just feels like playing online and being competitive online is not as hardcore as playing on Xbox Live. PSN suits those PS3 owners (notice I said PS3 owners and not gamers) that wants to casually try out playing online.

ReverseCycology
ladies and gentleman, we have a n00b
#32 Posted by opex07 (2236 posts) -

this is well written...props to whoever wrote this.......also....they add should offline downloads to that, i think its a cool extra :D
Dante2710

Im not sure who wrote it, VoodooHak might have, hopefully he doesnt mind me using it:D

#33 Posted by Kook18 (4257 posts) -

If you just want to play games online, the PS3 does it fine from my experience. It may not be as glossed up or have as many options as XBL, but I have no complaints towards it.

Only thing I don't really care for in PSN is that no one seems to talk in games (or people do talk, but very rarely).

That said, I've pretty much chosen XBL for my main online gaming center since most of my friends are on that and it has more games I'd be interested in playing online. Either way, both systems handle online decently.

#34 Posted by Juggernaut140 (36011 posts) -

Wired Connections are much more stable. Playing online video games on a wireless connection is a poor choice for anyone. I drill holes in my walls before going wireless. Actually thats what I did. Oh and yes Xbox live Is worth it.Antikyth3ra

Maybe that's what I should do...

#35 Posted by Sherpico (6805 posts) -
[QUOTE="ReverseCycology"]

C_BozkurT_C
ladies and gentleman, we have a n00b

Couldn't have said it better. ;)
#36 Posted by MadExponent (11451 posts) -

Xbox Live is $4.17 a month.........

Are you serious?

#37 Posted by xsubtownerx (10705 posts) -

I don't like that Microsoft is trying to make it the industry standard to pay to play with your friends and family online. Nobody else does that. Imagine if Nintendo, Sony, Steam, Xfire, Gamespy, Battle.net, etc... all adopted MS policy of paying to play. That's what MS wants and it would be horrible as a gamer having to pay multiple online fees. I made the decision to keep online free so I would never support Live.

EmperorSupreme

Wii will be charging for certain games..

#38 Posted by Arsenal325 (4899 posts) -

Are you serious?

MadExponent

50 bucks a year for somehting that should be free.. WEIRD

#39 Posted by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -

Are you serious?

MadExponent

GTA4 is FREE to me now that I dont pay M$.

#40 Posted by UnnDunn (3509 posts) -

Two words: Developer Support.

The Xbox Live fee is worth it because it allows Microsoft to create all the features an online game needs and build them into the service, so that any developer who wants to take their game online has a minimum of work to do. Features like Leaderboards, TrueSkill matchmaking, stat tracking, spectator mode, even basic matchmaking functions such as Custom Matches... all that stuff has to be developed one way or another. On XBL, it's all built-in; developers merely have to hook into the relevant APIs. On PSN, developers have to do all the work themselves.

Result: every Xbox 360 game with a multiplayer mode supports Xbox Live. No matter how small the developer or obscure the title. On PSN, only triple-A titles from major publishers support online play.

I'd say that's worth $4.17/mo.

#41 Posted by Ragashahs (8785 posts) -
if you want all those feature than yes it worth it but for me and many other XBL comes with alot of features that are very uncessecary and things i'll probably use only ever so often so why pay when the basic things i want come free
#42 Posted by UnnDunn (3509 posts) -
if you want all those feature than yes it worth it but for me and many other XBL comes with alot of features that are very uncessecary and things i'll probably use only ever so often so why pay when the basic things i want come freeRagashahs
That's like asking why you have to pay for the $60/mo cable TV package with 150 channels when you only watch 5 of them...
#43 Posted by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ragashahs"]if you want all those feature than yes it worth it but for me and many other XBL comes with alot of features that are very uncessecary and things i'll probably use only ever so often so why pay when the basic things i want come freeUnnDunn
That's like asking why you have to pay for the $60/mo cable TV package with 150 channels when you only watch 5 of them...

Which is why most casuals dont spend for cable.

#44 Posted by opex07 (2236 posts) -

if you want all those feature than yes it worth it but for me and many other XBL comes with alot of features that are very uncessecary and things i'll probably use only ever so often so why pay when the basic things i want come freeRagashahs

Live offers things that most people would use often like every game allowing voice chat, lobby systems for every game, a unified friends list that lets me see what all my friends are playing and have full access to them, 2 levels of matchmaking allowing me to play with people around my level automatically, etc...

#45 Posted by Gh0st_Of_0nyx (8992 posts) -

I think its worth the money it's only 50$ and you get a good amoount of content for that yearly subscription.

Plus MS did a great job into making XBL feel like a community of gamers the same cant be said for the wii or ps3's online service seeing as neither of them ahave XMB or are known for there great online.

#46 Posted by loftus42 (1086 posts) -

EmperorSupreme

EmperorSupreme
It's obvious you don't pay to play on-line. but why do you have to tell others that them paying for on-line play isn't worth it? I pay for xbox live. i think it is worth the money easily. it's only 4 dollars a month, and i get hours of enjoyment from it. there are positives that xbox live has that no one besides the PC have. I also pay for two more accounts that my nephews have and they also think it is well worth it. We get to play the games we want, and when one of our friends come on we can invite them into our game or they can start a game and invite us into theirs. If we don't want to play that game we can still talk to each other without having to leave the game we are in. it's about convenience. And i for one will always pay for convenience. One question though if you don't like paying for an on-line service why are you on this site? one dollar more a month is all i pay for xbox live and get so more then what game-spot gives me.
#47 Posted by loftus42 (1086 posts) -

Two words: Developer Support.

The Xbox Live fee is worth it because it allows Microsoft to create all the features an online game needs and build them into the service, so that any developer who wants to take their game online has a minimum of work to do. Features like Leaderboards, TrueSkill matchmaking, stat tracking, spectator mode, even basic matchmaking functions such as Custom Matches... all that stuff has to be developed one way or another. On XBL, it's all built-in; developers merely have to hook into the relevant APIs. On PSN, developers have to do all the work themselves.

Result: every Xbox 360 game with a multiplayer mode supports Xbox Live. No matter how small the developer or obscure the title. On PSN, only triple-A titles from major publishers support online play.

I'd say that's worth $4.17/mo.

UnnDunn
Another post that was well said
#48 Posted by themyth01 (13924 posts) -
Is a college $100 C++ book worth more than your typical $20 Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days? to some it is and to some it isn't, there is no right answer, just opinions.
#49 Posted by Juggernaut140 (36011 posts) -

[QUOTE="UnnDunn"][QUOTE="Ragashahs"]if you want all those feature than yes it worth it but for me and many other XBL comes with alot of features that are very uncessecary and things i'll probably use only ever so often so why pay when the basic things i want come freekillzowned24

Which is why most casuals dont spend for cable.

What? :?

#50 Posted by clintos59 (1320 posts) -

considering ps3 online is free and the system comes already with a built in wireless networkfsem10

Xbox Live is worth the money but I will say in true honesty with no wireless in the xbox 360 I bought mircosoft does love milking us for our money. For example.

I bought a ps3 at launch along with Resistance and at the time yes the price was ridiculous but im one of those who have to buy every system just to stay up with time. But yeah u open the box hook everything up, set your email and settings and walla, from there put in resistance and u can instantly jump online and play.

Ok now with my xbox 360 I didnt buy it at launch but I bought one when halo 3 came out hoping to be able to jump online and try it out. Believe me I already knew I had to pay for xbox live being an owner of the original xbox so yeah I open it up and im like fixing all my settings and all but find out that I had to buy a wireless adaptor to use my xbox 360 wirelessly which I didnt know and to this day I still havent bought it because I asked my cousin how much it was and he said it was $99 so I said screw that and just played the campaign of halo and mass effect and bioshock. I still dont have xbox live for my 360, but I know it is worth it because I always played on xbox live with the original xbox, but really microsoft loves milking us, which is why I play my multiplatform games on my ps3 online. It may not have all the features of xbox live but I can live with that and actually be honest and say I still have tons of fun going on call of duty 4, motorstorm, resistance, rainbow six vegas 2, warhawk, and playing with some of my real friends and cousins and friends I have met online. :)