Is Vita officially dead?

#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16511 posts) -

No mention of Gravity Rush 2, not even Freedom Wars which is coming out this fall. They did mention Tales of Hearts R but didn't show anything, it was just a passive mention. Or what about the rumors of a Vita Infamous game? The only thing Sony seemed to touch on was remote play and indies and the announcement of Playstation TV and PS Now. T'was a sad day for Vita owners yesterday me thinks. Your thoughts, SW? Would you still get a Vita? Will owners keep theirs?

#2 Posted by Bigboi500 (29147 posts) -

I'll keep mine for the few games it has and will get, but it doesn't get played very often.

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

No mention of Gravity Rush 2, not even Freedom Wars which is coming out this fall. They did mention Tales of Hearts R but didn't show anything, it was just a passive mention. Or what about the rumors of a Vita Infamous game? The only thing Sony seemed to touch on was remote play and indies and the announcement of Playstation TV and PS Now. T'was a sad day for Vita owners yesterday me thinks. Your thoughts, SW? Would you still get a Vita? Will owners keep theirs?

I will keep mine because I love it, and there are a few upcoming Japanese games that I want on it, but yeah, today's E3 made it clear that as far as Sony (or at least SCEA) is concern, they don't view the Vita as anything more than a glorified PS4 accessory. Ultimate PS4 Remote Play and PS Now player, ell oh fucking ell. 'Important pillar of our strategy' my ass.

#4 Edited by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

If it helps though, Sony did highlight the upcoming software for the PS Vita in a sizzle reel... they just didn't do it during their conference, and waited till no one was paying attention to do it.

#5 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16511 posts) -
#6 Posted by charizard1605 (55591 posts) -

I know dude. The worst part is just how much potential this machine packed. It could have been the ultimate mobile gaming device. It's such a well made and thought out handheld. But it's like Sony chose to actively sabotage it or something. :/

#7 Posted by osan0 (12597 posts) -

yep thats the end.

its still worth picking up as it does have many great games. but its future looks really really bad. i can only see 4 games i want for it this year (got Ys, great game, child of light is on the way, gravity rush 2 though that could be next year, and freedom wars assuming that comes to europe this year also.)

i really really wish nintendo made the vita. my god it would have been glorious.

#8 Edited by mikhail (1038 posts) -

The Vita is a great device, although I am ending up playing games like Hotline Miami and Spelunky on it - games I've already played on PC. I'm hoping to see some more Vita games on the show floor this week, but it's not looking great right now.

#9 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6067 posts) -

Pretty damn funny. Vita means life but it is dead? Ouch.

#10 Edited by MBirdy88 (7438 posts) -

Seems fine to me.... 100 games coming up. PSN now.... how is it dead? because it doens't have that handful of blockbuster shallow games that were revealed on the consoles?

#11 Posted by lordlors (5576 posts) -

I know dude. The worst part is just how much potential this machine packed. It could have been the ultimate mobile gaming device. It's such a well made and thought out handheld. But it's like Sony chose to actively sabotage it or something. :/

No handheld centric games that can match Nintendo's handheld games like Mario, Pokemon, etc. coupled with the rise of mobile gaming, the Vita was doomed from the very start.

#12 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22110 posts) -

the price of the memory sticks hurt it the most. I want the 64gb for at least $50, but it might not happen cause the system isn't selling. I also believe this could be sony's last handheld and nintendo will once again have total control of the handheld wars. Well I do like the vita tv and I would get one whenever sony decides to drop the price of the sticks as I said before. Would also be pretty cool if nintendo could do this for their next handheld cause I am home most of the time.

#13 Posted by osirisx3 (1741 posts) -

vita has been demoted to the onlive handheld

#14 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17233 posts) -

The PSP had lots of problems. The Vita by comparison makes the PSP look like a gigantic huge DS type success.

What's going on with the Vita. It seems more dead than alive these days.

#15 Posted by remiks00 (1649 posts) -

Onlive mobile. :P

Honestly, the vita has been on life support since the PS4 reveal. Mine is a dignified dust collector. It's a fantastic piece of hardware, but I would've sold mine if it wasn't for Person 4 golden...

#16 Posted by Kjranu (880 posts) -

It was DOA with lacklustre support coming from Sony and this E3 only confirmed it. Sony CAN be a really crappy company sometimes.

#17 Edited by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

lolvitabros

sony is killing it with marketing... I completely forgot about the existence of Gravity Rush 2.

#18 Edited by hehe101 (575 posts) -

yes

#19 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

Vita Tv for me, day 1.

#20 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2707 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Vita Tv for me, day 1.

Its Playstation TV in the U.S. That should tell you what Sony thinks of the Vita brand.

I'm glad they are bringing it stateside though. Day 1 for me as well.

#21 Posted by Blabadon (25689 posts) -

Yep, it's dead. I told you guys!

#22 Edited by Dire_Weasel (15928 posts) -
#23 Posted by yokofox33 (29242 posts) -

Tales of Hearts and Senran Kagura look awesome, as did a few other titles shown in the video. Vita is love. Vita is life.

#24 Posted by NFJSupreme (5131 posts) -

It's just a peripheral now

#25 Posted by Telekill (4340 posts) -

As a stand alone system, the PSV is basically dead in my opinion. Sucks shit but what can you do? I'll keep mine as apparently what Sony had intended the system being... a PS4 accessory.

Sony is doing everything right with PS4, but in regards to the PSV, Sony, fuck you, you clueless fucks.

#26 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Vita Tv for me, day 1.

Its Playstation TV in the U.S. That should tell you what Sony thinks of the Vita brand.

I'm glad they are bringing it stateside though. Day 1 for me as well.

Well I agree with you , but it does play most Vita games, so I get a chance to play Persona 4, Uncharted and Killzone with a DS4 controller, not to mention stream PS4 games to it.

#27 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Can it play all of the games?

#28 Edited by 2Chalupas (5001 posts) -

Vita is awesome, but it seems like no more exclusive games for it developed by "western" studios - just ports and indies. That's been apparant for awhile. A shame really, I would have liked a couple more games at least. (especially having just played Killzone, that game actually worked amazingly well on Vita) I still need to play Soul Sacrifice, Persona, Ys, as well... and i'm sure at least a couple more games will catch my fancy, so no way I'm getting rid of it just yet.

Hopefully the Japanese games keep coming. That might be the only real source of "exclusives" for the platform between now and it's ultimate demise. A shame, because Vita was definitely the best designed hardware, but Nintendo dominates that space and with the mobile phone market also taking over, there was no room for a 2nd player this time around.

#29 Posted by ithilgore2006 (10481 posts) -

Some people here really need to consider what it is they think the word "officially" means.

#30 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26255 posts) -

For western games yea its pretty much dieing though its still getting alot of japan support.

#31 Posted by Lionheart08 (15296 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Vita Tv for me, day 1.

I plan to buy one.

#32 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16511 posts) -

For western games yea its pretty much dieing though its still getting alot of japan support.

True, but it would be nice if Sony showed some appreciation to the people who support the system

#33 Posted by j2zon2591 (2238 posts) -

Was about to get over the lack of VITA E3 until the Type-0 fiasco happened.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/10/final-fantasy-type-0-hd-coming-to-ps4/comment-page-14/#comments

Originally that was FF Type 0 HD coming to PS VITA.

Read the comments.

There's also VITA boards meltdown on GFAQs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita

#34 Posted by KBFloYd (12943 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Vita Tv for me, day 1.

I plan to buy one.

i probably get 1 too....forget the vita.

dont know how well it will sell....if japan is an indicator then not well.

#35 Edited by santoron (7648 posts) -

Hell no. They simply didn't spend time on it with an audience that wasn't interested. The Vita has a healthy lineup of games in development which they mentioned in passing, and they announced a western launch for PSTV, which is essentially a new Vita SKU. Finally, they reiterated support for the platform, to the consternation of those always hoping it gets discontinued.

It might be disappointing to some (ME) but NA isn't enamored with the Vita, and Sony decided not to try and focus on Vita games few here were interested in. That doesn't mean you won't be hearing about the Vita much from them from now on though, just that Vita games will be announced and shown throughout the year and at other conferences, and that's a smart move.

E3 is fun times around the board, but it isn't the end all of gaming announcements. By a long shot.

#36 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@Lionheart08 said:

@Heil68 said:

Vita Tv for me, day 1.

I plan to buy one.

i probably get 1 too....forget the vita.

dont know how well it will sell....if japan is an indicator then not well.

I want the streaming TV apps like Netflix and Amazon and PS4 streaming to another TV. The vita games are a bonus.

#37 Posted by nini200 (9480 posts) -

It's a great piece of hardware with a few good games but in the end, Sony is treating it like a $200 controller.

#38 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9943 posts) -

Why don't you buy one and play all the available games and find out for yourself.... :p

#39 Posted by hello505 (130 posts) -

Vita is great handheld alternative to a console, excellent game library too. Spelunky is still the best game I've played this year.