Is there any good "old school" FPS like HL2 out there?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

I mean, from the past 5 years or so.

I was replaying the game and its episodes and they're simply incredible. Today it's easier to find FPS that fallow the Halo-CoD model which is very different from Half Life, especially CoD. I can appreaciate them too, and I know played my fair share of those games, but I was wondering if there is something recent moer closely to HL2.

Crysis 2 was a bit of this, too bad the AI utterly destroyed that game which otherwise would be very memorable.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@padaporra said:

I was replaying the game and its episodes and they're simply incredible. Today it's easier to find FPS that fallow the Halo-CoD model which is very different from Half Life, especially CoD. I can appreaciate them too, and I know played my fair share of those games, but I was wondering if there is something recent moer closely to HL2.

Crysis 2 was a bit of this, too bad the AI utterly destroyed that game which otherwise would be very memorable.

Crysis 2 has better ai than HL 2. In Crysis 2 the enemies at least take cover while in HL 2 they mostly just stand still in the open.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

Sadly, no FPS is as good as Halflife 2 other than Black Mesa. The young console people will most likely make ludicrous claims and arguments to try change the reality of the situation but it is what it is.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

I'd say Prey is pretty similar to half life. It has clever level design that isn't always going in a straight line, with some puzzles thrown in. The weapons all feel unique as do the enemies. The only thing that isn't as good as half life is the story. Voice acting isn't that good and characters are rather boring. However, the plot itself is still interesting, combing science fiction with the supernatural.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 uninspiredcup

Halflife 2 is primarily a game about revolution. It's quite possibly the most socially relevant game ever made.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@Yoshi9000 said:

I'd say Prey

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I dunno man. If you want old school goodness just go back and play some real older FPS's.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

~Crysis 2 was a bit like HL2

~Lumping Halo's formula in with CoD's

O__________________O

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Serious Sam 3 is an oldschool shooter that came out a couple of years ago.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#11 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Mmmm... He's right. Serious Sam 3 BFE is pretty great...

HL2 didn't grab me, it was more of a chore. I almost feel Valve made it ironically, to mimic the story that drives any Mario game. "I'm sorry, what you're looking for isn't here, you need to go somewhere else." Rinse and repeat.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Play F.E.A.R, the original. No game has better shooting. Plus the AI can be pretty good as well as it having a pretty decent story with some great moments

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Speaking of which because the remake is coming. Moon is an old school FPS.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 padaporra

@Cranler said:

Crysis 2 has better ai than HL 2. In Crysis 2 the enemies at least take cover while in HL 2 they mostly just stand still in the open.

But you see, HL2 is designed to be that way. Firefights in HL2 are much more open in the sense that cover is less relevant, it's kind the opposite of Gears of War. You will take a lot of damage, that's why there is so much health/armor itens across the game but you also deal a lot of it. It's a type of balance that really pleases me. And with that said I must disagree. Half Life 2 has a great AI. Enemies are always running around and are very aggressive thus no two fights feel the same. And there is also the factor of scripted events: Soldiers jumping ledges, rappelling down from bridges and buildings, traps that use the environment... they might be small as parts, but when you put everything together (and the AI) the result in a fighting force that feels very capable and real.

I also must add that this gunplay balance is hardly exclusive to Half Life. Lots of FPS are balanced this way, like Quake, Doom, FEAR to some degree...

@seanmcloughlin said:

Play F.E.A.R, the original. No game has better shooting. Plus the AI can be pretty good as well as it having a pretty decent story with some great moments

Already did, and its expasions (one of two is terrible btw). The shooting is indeed excellent and the overall game is very good.

@Wasdie said:

I only played the first one... I'm looking for something less arcade.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

Resistance 3 actually follows more in the traditional FPS footsteps in some aspects. No regen health and the ability to carry and use every weapon you pick up along the way (they are also rather fun and interesting in this game)... I seriously don't know why games have shifted to only being able to carry two guns...

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By padaporra

@speak_low said:

Any time I hear a young gamer play HL2 today and say "it hasn't aged well" or "it's kind of overrated and seen through nostalgic lens" I report them for a banning

You're a very reasonable person.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

There are plenty of bad FPS games like HL2. Too many.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#20  Edited By wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

@speak_low said:

Any time I hear a young gamer play HL2 today and say "it hasn't aged well" or "it's kind of overrated and seen through nostalgic lens" I report them for a banning

I agree with and support your actions

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#21 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@padaporra said:

I haven't played any Half Life games, but I'll mention some of the shooters that are unique and different from Halo/CoD.

Far Cry 3, Rage Anarchy Edition, Bioshock series, Crysis 1 and 3 (2 sucked balls) Blood Dragon, Dues Ex Human Revolution.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

Brutal Doom is old school FPS with some added features none of which detract from the core gameplay. It is SO satisfying to tear through legions of hell spawn in this game.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@padaporra said:

@Cranler said:

But you see, HL2 is designed to be that way. Firefights in HL2 are much more open in the sense that cover is less relevant, it's kind the opposite of Gears of War. You will take a lot of damage, that's why there is so much health/armor itens across the game but you also deal a lot of it. It's a type of balance that really pleases me. And with that said I must disagree. Half Life 2 has a great AI. Enemies are always running around and are very aggressive thus no two fights feel the same. And there is also the factor of scripted events: Soldiers jumping ledges, rappelling down from bridges and buildings, traps that use the environment... they might be small as parts, but when you put everything together (and the AI) the result in a fighting force that feels very capable and real.

I also must add that this gunplay balance is hardly exclusive to Half Life. Lots of FPS are balanced this way, like Quake, Doom, FEAR to some degree...

Remember that most games still had cookie cutter "charge you or stand still and shoot at you" ai back then. Valve simply didn't attempt to up the anti in the ai dept.

Crysis 2 is just as open as HL 2.

They'll rappel down when you already have your crosshair on them, this makes the enemy mere cannon fodder. "Look, he already sees us and is about to shoot but instead of taking cover up here, lets rappel down anyway and be easy targets."

They also don't dodge when you try to run them over.

I found most parts of HL 2 to play the exact same way each time due to the scripted ai. Far Cry was the game of 2004 that played out differently each time.

Quake and Doom shouldn't play the same as a game where you're fighting soldiers.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#24 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts
@padaporra said:

No, you're just wrong. The ai in HL2 is bad. Hell even Half Life had more interesting enemies than HL2.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#25 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

There's always Serious Sam 3. Too bad it sucks.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Serious Sam 3 is amazing. Play that

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

@padaporra said:

if you thought the Crysis 2 AI was horrible then don't bother touching the first

worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By worknow222
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

Play the original Half life not only is it a hundred times better than half life 2 the hype that the game has its true unlike half life 2.................. Yeah I don't see the insane hype half life 2 keeps getting (For the fanboys I played half life 2 when it first came out and the expansions and I actually loved the game like nothing, but then I played the original and to me half life 2's flaws just popped out) Still a great game but way over hyped

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Shadow Warrior is fun

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

@blangenakker said:

Shadow Warrior is fun

It is. But this (and Serous Sam 3) are nothing like Halflife 2. They are akin to painkiller. The Halflife series is fairly unique when it comes to FPS.

Nowdays, they are mostly either shitty COD games, or shitty Bioshock FPS/RPG games. Both suck compared to Halflife, obv.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 padaporra

@cain006 said:

No, you're just wrong. The ai in HL2 is bad. Hell even Half Life had more interesting enemies than HL2.

I'm not wrong, you're just wrong!

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I was going to mention that but I haven't played it myself. I really miss the arena style shooters like UT, Quake 2, Quake 3, HL 1 and 2 etc. I wonder if they'll ever make a come back?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uninspiredcup

@padaporra said:

@cain006 said:

I'm not wrong, you're just wrong!

My friends, the AI in Halflife 2 isn't bad. It's just fairly average (humanoid wise).

One of the things people overlook that is actually quite excellent, is the gunship and Helicopter AI. The gunships in particular move and react in a very organic way both in how they maneuver around the environment and how they react to the player. Being designed as a sentient like creature the AI absolute delivers in coming across as something tangible.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Try out Singularity out! man its got some good elements from metro, Bioshock and HL2. Highly recommend!

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

^ I've been meaning to check Singularity out for a very long time. Anyway, my answer is Metro Last Light, and then maybe some parts of RAGE.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

System Shock 2 ?

Doom 3 ?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@uninspiredcup: you described any sport or subjective form of entertainment's growth. Generation of boxing fans now say pacqiaou is a bum because he has 5 losses, and mayweather is best ever. But the consensus best ever sugar ray Robinson, had 19 losses against 175 wins. Today's mindset is a fragile thing. Today's gamer wont get into hl or hl2 or Deus ex as we did.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

There really isn't. FPS games have been deformed by consoles and large developers of the caliber of Valve wouldn't risk delivering a game that wouldn't appeal to CoD kiddies ...

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

'hard reset'?

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 padaporra

@Lulu_Lulu said:

System Shock 2 ?

Doom 3 ?

I'd say System Shock 2 is more of an adventure RPG than FPS. The gunplay is barely there...

@CrownKingArthur said:

'hard reset'?

Hm... it might be worth a look.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Salt_The_Fries

Where is SNIPER when you need him?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@padaporra said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

'hard reset'?

Hm... it might be worth a look.

Just a heads up. Hard Reset Is an arcade FPS too but in a Bladerunner-like setting. I love it. The difficulty levels revolve around two things:

1. The enemies become harder to kill

2. There's a lot more of them

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@padaporra said:

@Cranler said:

It really doesn't have good AI. It's borderline mediocre, oftenly quite bad. The original Half Life has much better AI and its expansion, Opposing Force, is light years ahead of HL2 in terms of AI.

I'd say to let go of that 'minimum 5 years' bullshit (no offense) and play those two games. Besides those, i'd recommend:

• No One Lives Forever 2
  • Serious Sam: The Second Encounter
  • Serious Sam 3
  • Halo: CE (on Heroic Difficulty)
  • Unreal
  • TimeSplitters 3: Future Perfect
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

The new shadow warrior, Hard reset, Serious sam 3 tends to come to mind.

Oh ofcourse there is the all but forgotten gem that is Singularity (which you should look into)

And while a bit removed Metro Last Light might be worth the look

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

duke nukem 3d just got released on gog and steam in the last five years,

and yes it is better than half life 1, 2, and all the episodes,

I personally couldn't stand being locked in an area while 2 characters vomit exposition at me,

it was basically an unskippable cutscene throughout each of the games,

my gripe with the half life series anyway

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By padaporra

@Lucianu: It has!

Anyway, No One Lives Forever 2 is such an underated game. It is at least as good as FEAR and yet the latter seems to get much more praise.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Salt_The_Fries

It's not like Half Life at all but Bulletstorm was very good and old school.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#48 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Sadly, no FPS is as good as Halflife 2 other than Black Mesa. The young console people will most likely make ludicrous claims and arguments to try change the reality of the situation but it is what it is.

Oddly enough, the closest thing to HL2 (that's actually good) in recent years is a console game, Resistance 3.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Check out FEAR, its close to HL2 in gameplay and absolutely brilliant.

Other than that its hard to find a decent old school FPS from last few years, after CoD4 FPSs are mostly cookie cutter causal games...

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

so as long as everyone agrees with you its all good right?because we all know consoles cant have good fps right?