Is the Wii U an unreliable pos?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) 5 months, 19 days ago

Poll: Is the Wii U an unreliable pos? (16 votes)

Yes 31%
No 56%
I don't own a Wii U, sucker! 13%

tldr; the Wii U doesn't do anything I want it to do

I just want to rant about my issues with the Wii U, possible workarounds, and hopefully persuade people to wait it out. incoming:
"nice blog post"
"thanks!"

I just bought a Wii U a couple of weeks ago with my tax return money. I primarily play arcade games and have not owned any next(I guess it's current now)-gen consoles, but I love the one-off titles that I can't play on PC. I typically wait until hardware revisions and price cuts before I commit myself to a new console, but I really wanted a Wii U for TW101 (my first and only physical game purchase so far), SM3DW, Bayonetta 2, X, mario kart, and the new wave race. I also bought quite a few classic titles including one of my favorite RPGs - EarthBound. Eventually I'll be a manticore again, but right now I guess you can call me a sheep?

Here's the issue: as you may know... people don't refer to nintendo consoles as a primary console any more. I didn't agree around the time of the Wii, but now I'm starting to see their point.

So I've been playing the wonderful 101 and I wanted to make great use of the new touch screen. I roll over on my bed and make the controller my main display - pretty cool... but then after a few minutes of playing, I noticed that the graphics are too much for the handheld controller display to handle. Insanely huge distortion until the controller refreshes and catches up... which caused some slight annoyance. not a big deal, still enjoying my time with the console.

Lets boot up EarthBound instead. So I boot up EarthBound and everything so far is good. I've read that you can walk the controller around your house, and I wanted to make it out to the living room in my tiny apartment (my living room is probably 50 feet away from my bedroom where the Wii U is located). As soon as I step out of my room, the Wii U controller loses connection to the console and boots down. I tried multiple times, but I can't get the controller to work as it should...basically less than 50 feet away from the console.

Owe well... it's getting late. Lets throw on some netflix... but little did I know, there's issues with netflix staying connected on the Wii U. I get a tv show or movie to play for about 45 seconds before an error pops up saying the media playback is no longer available.

Alright... well I have an insane movie collection, let's throw in a DVD I want to watch... only to be greeted with a message stating that the Wii U does not recognize that media format.

This is seriously the worst time I've ever had with a new console purchase. I actually have it unplugged right now so I can watch netflix and amazon prime instant when I'm laying in bed and going to sleep. The games are pretty fun, but I can't rely on the Wii U for anything else. very unreliable console.

agree/disagree? anyone have a similar experience?

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26268 posts) -

You tried watching a DVD... on a Wii U? *facepalm, then headdesk*

#2 Edited by SolidTy (42412 posts) -

It reads like you should have done more research, many of your issues were discovered by early adopters such as myself and posted about on the internet for newer buyers.

I bought the Wii U specifically for Nintendo exclusives, it doesn't get turned on for anything else.

#3 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

Is that a real thing? Nintendo consoles don't play DVDs? I didn't know that before trying and just assumed it would work... because why wouldn't it? I never tried playing a DVD in my Wii.

I would've watched netflix if it didn't keep crashing.

#4 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

@SolidTy: to be honest... this was a lesson learned. I don't really participate much in System Wars in terms of arguing about which console is better/talking about issues, etc.. because the companies in the industry typically put out pretty good and reliable hardware (other than YLOD/RROD). Nintendo is especially good at putting out quality hardware.

most times I usually see something I like and I buy it. I've never gone wrong judging on my own, but this has got to be the worst game-related purchase I've ever made. (I'm honestly not joking).

kind of want to return it -_-

#5 Posted by blackace (20238 posts) -

I don't think it plays Blu-Ray, DVD or CD's. PS4 can't play CD's. XB1 plays all the those media formats.

Did the Wii play DVD's? I actually never tried it because I thought it only played those small discs.

#6 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26268 posts) -

@blackace said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

I don't think it plays Blu-Ray, DVD or CD's. PS4 can't play CD's. XB1 plays all the those media formats.

Did the Wii play DVD's? I actually never tried it because I thought it only played those small discs.

Nope, Wii didn't either.

#7 Edited by SolidTy (42412 posts) -

@Some-Mist said:

@SolidTy: to be honest... this was a lesson learned. I don't really participate much in System Wars in terms of arguing about which console is better/talking about issues, etc.. because the companies in the industry typically put out pretty good and reliable hardware (other than YLOD/RROD). Nintendo is especially good at putting out quality hardware.

most times I usually see something I like and I buy it. I've never gone wrong judging on my own, but this has got to be the worst game-related purchase I've ever made. (I'm honestly not joking).

kind of want to return it -_-

Yeah, Nintendo's going to be Nintendo.

If you were looking for a strong media package, in terms of price, the Wii U is grossly incompetent in that regard as well as super overpriced...but it's a fine deal if you buy it with the intentions of playing some Mario and company.

#8 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -

The range on the controller is pretty limited. I think it probably would work at a greater distance than 50 ft, but not with a wall in between. No Nintendo console has ever been able to play movies on physical media. I've never had any issues with Amazon Prime or Netflix on the Wii U, though. How far is the Wii U located from your router? Is it picking up a strong signal?

#9 Posted by Ballroompirate (22554 posts) -

I wouldn't go as far as unreliable, more like it just lacks games.

#10 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34140 posts) -

Hmm, Netflix works fine on my Wii U, outside a couple occasions where videos wouldn't load up (would stop at 25% or something and just not load past that), or I'd be interuppted midshow for the video to reload. Don't know if these specific issues are related to the Wii U, Netflix, or my own internet though.

#11 Posted by blackace (20238 posts) -

Netflix has worked fine on my 3DS. Never had any issues with that.

#12 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

I'm assuming it's picking up a strong signal because I don't have any issues browsing the marketplace nor do I have any issues on my other devices (my laptop is further than the Wii U and has 4-5 WiFi bars).

I think it's probably about 10-15 feet away with a wall in the way.

I would put an ethernet cable in to test that.... but is there even a port? (I'm not at home right now, but never noticed a port)

#13 Posted by TTUalumni13 (466 posts) -

Mine hard freezes a lot, has to be unplugged, etc. nothin like that though.

#14 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -

I'm assuming it's picking up a strong signal because I don't have any issues browsing the marketplace nor do I have any issues on my other devices (my laptop is further than the Wii U and has 4-5 WiFi bars).

I would put an ethernet cable in to test that.... but is there even a port? (I'm not at home right now, but never noticed a port)

I don't think it has a port. My Wii U is located very close to my router, so I'm not really sure if the wireless card is weak or something. Do you have issues with Netflix cutting out on any other device? Browsing the marketplace does not require nearly the bandwidth that streaming movies does, so that wouldn't necessarily indicate that you are getting a strong signal. You don't need a tv to run the Wii U, so maybe try putting it right next to your router and see if you have issues streaming netflix through the controller. What is your internet speed?

#15 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -

Mine hard freezes a lot, has to be unplugged, etc. nothin like that though.

Your issue sounds worse.

#16 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

@Some-Mist said:

I don't think it has a port. My Wii U is located very close to my router, so I'm not really sure if the wireless card is weak or something. Do you have issues with Netflix cutting out on any other device? Browsing the marketplace does not require nearly the bandwidth that streaming movies does, so that wouldn't necessarily indicate that you are getting a strong signal. You don't need a tv to run the Wii U, so maybe try putting it right next to your router and see if you have issues streaming netflix through the controller. What is your internet speed?

typically, I don't have issues with streaming on other devices - at least not with my 360 which sits in the exact same spot as the Wii U and my laptop which is located a little bit further from the modem. weak wifi card sounds like it could be the issue and moving the console might fix it. I'll have to experiment a bit more when I get home.

I see there's also an ethernet adapter for purchase through Nintendo, so worst case scenario...if my Wii U doesn't have a port I'll snag one of those to see if it fixes the problem.

still.... pain in the ass.

#17 Edited by Speak_Low (927 posts) -

It says Nintendo but many of the features compared to the competition says "Walmart"

#18 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3037 posts) -

Not to be that guy, but there is a blog feature for a reason. Please feel free to place this in there.