Is the Last of Us the biggest let down in gamespot history?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by RedCore119 (276 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Is the Last of Us the biggest let down in gamespot history? (110 votes)

Yes 8.0 17%
No 77%
Maybe? 8%

Yes the last of us is a great game but many gamers hyped this game on gamespot to the point were many thought, that it would receive a perfect 10.

#51 Edited by carljohnson3456 (12422 posts) -

No. Cant blame a fanboy for trying though.

#52 Posted by Pffrbt (6588 posts) -

@monsterpuncher said:

The Last of Us is not just an amazing game, its a monumental gaming acheivement by Naughty Dog

It's a tedious slog from beginning to end that does absolutely nothing noteworthy or interesting.

#53 Posted by Gue1 (10414 posts) -
@Mkavanaugh77 said:

Played through it once and had alot of fun right to the end.

Very Cinematic and some good characters.

Gameplay was good but really basic.

It was basically move through the city and kill any gangs/outlaws in your way, then move on and repeat witch became very predictable and boring after a while.

The Cinematic scenes were great though. Needed more monsters and bosses imo.

Good game, just not a 9/10 game imo

my friend, you just described the scene of gaming right there. Although you're missing tons of elements like stealth. There were lots of instances when you weren't forced to kill everybody. The mini puzzles. The scavenging. Managing your supplies and finding the time to create them in real time. If you played it on harder difficulties then you know how important was to save up on ammunition and battling with the cross-hair when shooting only made it more difficult. And don't forget about the incredibly good AI!

On top of it the multiplayer was really good. Easily one of the most unique MP of this gen.

If there is a game that deserves 10/10 then that game is The Last of Us. No matter how much you try to deny it due to your strong rejection toward the popular opinion, there aren't many games as good and unique as The Last of Us. Not in gameplay and definitely not in story-telling let alone characters.

#54 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

The Twilight Princess flop was on a whole different level. It was like every sheep went through the 5 steps of grief simultaneously.

#55 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20852 posts) -

@Gue1:

@Gue1 said:
@Mkavanaugh77 said:

Played through it once and had alot of fun right to the end.

Very Cinematic and some good characters.

Gameplay was good but really basic.

It was basically move through the city and kill any gangs/outlaws in your way, then move on and repeat witch became very predictable and boring after a while.

The Cinematic scenes were great though. Needed more monsters and bosses imo.

Good game, just not a 9/10 game imo

my friend, you just described the scene of gaming right there. Although you're missing tons of elements like stealth. There were lots of instances when you weren't forced to kill everybody. The mini puzzles. The scavenging. Managing your supplies and finding the time to create them in real time. If you played it on harder difficulties then you know how important was to save up on ammunition and battling with the cross-hair when shooting only made it more difficult. And don't forget about the incredibly good AI!

On top of it the multiplayer was really good. Easily one of the most unique MP of this gen.

If there is a game that deserves 10/10 then that game is The Last of Us. No matter how much you try to deny it due to your strong rejection toward the popular opinion, there aren't many games as good and unique as The Last of Us. Not in gameplay and definitely not in story-telling let alone characters.

The Last Of Us isnt really unique, its basically similar to Uncharted

Following a straight path with shootouts and cut-scenes and story in-between

I found TLOU to be one of those games that holds your hand all the way throughout the game the whole time telling you what to do.

Not a ten at all,mor like a 8/10 great stroy and characters, the rest was average gameplay.

#56 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9104 posts) -

It looks like a bad game for most of the same reasons Uncharted 2 was... I'll try it some day, but chances are I'll dislike it. I just can't get into these kinds of game.

#57 Posted by xCocoTheMonkeyx (399 posts) -

No what kind of stupid question is that?

#58 Edited by thedork_knight (879 posts) -

It's good but not that good. Am going through on survior at the mo and surprised how easy am finding it. While the A.I is good it can be incredibly stupid at times. The game does hold you hand most of the time and it is a simple A to B trying to give the idea of it be open. And to be brofist the combat isnt brutal, try condemned for some brutal combat.

#59 Posted by drekula2 (1949 posts) -

Clearly most of you weren't around in 2006 when Zelda: Twilight Princess got an 8.8 out of 10 and every single thread in the Zelda forum was an attack on the reviewer.

#60 Posted by MonsieurX (30834 posts) -

Most likely,or Lair

#61 Edited by padaporra (3432 posts) -

It was certainly an amazing time here after it flopped. The reviews came out, waht, one week after the game was released? Meaning the people discussing the reviews being fair or not could not possibly have played the game. It was just fantastic.

It really shows how important a review score is to a lot of people. And how it is part of the process of playing and enjoying a game.

#62 Posted by madsnakehhh (14596 posts) -

Is not the best game this gen but it was pretty damn good.

#63 Posted by 3rdbass (3294 posts) -

One of favorite games this gen. Very challenging and I loved the emotional story. In my top 5 of this gen next to Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect 2. The only issue I did have was that it is still a little too linear at times. I hope ND learns to make their games a little less linear with more choices. I'm not looking for a open world game as I found them boring but a little more options where you can go and do things. I still think GT 5 was a bigger disappointment on gamespot this generation due to how much hype it had.

#64 Posted by n00bkid (4161 posts) -

Last of us GOTY almost confirmed in my eyes. Just opinion though.

#65 Posted by princeofshapeir (14409 posts) -

Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were way worse

#66 Posted by Bigboi500 (30312 posts) -

Yes. Cows were making daily hype threads and proclaiming GOAT well before release.

They were also making death threats to the reviewer of Uncharted 3 for giving the game 9.0. That's pretty crazy.

#67 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14683 posts) -

You guys should see my inbox if you want death threats.

#68 Edited by 35cent (918 posts) -

No.I thought the game was great. I do agree with the score it got here as I managed to predict what happened in the story and all the spoilers with an alarming amount of accuracy 20 minutes into the game. I haven't done that since I watched Avatar :p

#69 Posted by KarateeeChop (4662 posts) -

i was really disappointed with how the game turned out. traded it in as soon as i beat it.

#70 Edited by BlbecekBobecek (2691 posts) -

Nah, BS Infinite is the biggest letdown. It received 4/10 from McShea.

#71 Posted by thedork_knight (879 posts) -

@BlbecekBobecek said:

but actually scored higher then TLOU

#72 Edited by BlbecekBobecek (2691 posts) -

@thedork_knight said:

@BlbecekBobecek said:

but actually scored higher then TLOU

Where? Not at Metacritic and not at McShea's. Yeah some other reviewer that happens to publish on the same site gave it higher score, whatever.

#73 Posted by GrayF0X786 (3899 posts) -

i normally don't care about these scores, but that 8/10 is a joke,

after my whole playthrough heck even just after the intro scene, i could not help but stand up and salute NaughtyDog for such a masterpiece.

#74 Posted by cainetao11 (17990 posts) -

@kellykelly said:

That would be Rome 2, GTA 5 (that got scored an 8.0 as well) and Halo 4

TLOU was voted game of the gen by amazon and System Wars, it also received a 95 on Metacritic with over 50 10 ratings from various game critics

GTA5's 8.0 is second opinion, review was 9; Halo 4 9. TLOU was a great game, 8.5 imo. Not the god send its made out to be.

#75 Edited by cainetao11 (17990 posts) -

TC, the "plot hole" you brought up about blood relatives being immune to a virus was weak. My biggest immersion killer in TLOU was: I (Joel) take this job along with Tess in order to get my GUNS back from the Fireflies. I then proceed to kill soldiers, scavengers many who had guns and engaged in a firefight with me, only to have them magically disappear after I kill them. If this rift in the game world didn't exist, I wouldn't have needed said job. Really bad plot hole, especially for a game so story driven.

#76 Posted by McSkombi (842 posts) -

Lets get things straight: TLOUS is one of the best games I've ever played. I don't have any idea why anyone would dislike this game if he/she is into action/adventures.

#77 Posted by Heil68 (45717 posts) -

That would be ODST.