Is the gaming industry on the verge of crashing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ChrisSpartan117
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ChrisSpartan117
Member since 2008 • 4519 Posts

Yes, I'm being completely serious here. I have a feeling the gaming industry could crash. Why?

You need to look at the industry's first crash. Atari was making millions off its 2600, and then E.T. came. The reason why this game crashed the industry was not because every 2600 owner bought it and gave up gaming after that, but what trend it started. The average Atari 2600 game after E.T. was a contender for the worst game ever created, because the games started to rely on gimmicks(sounds familiar?). Of course, Nintendo's NES with the pack-in Super Mario Bros. revived the game industry, but have you noticed something?

The gaming industry is starting to use gimmicks for their games again. Not just on the Wii, like some of you are thinking. Ubisoft is guilty of dumbing down its games this gen for the casual gamer, when the games they made last gen could easily be played by casuals, and in some games so is EA. And the Wii? No, Nintendo fanboys, Nintendo is not resposible for the Wii's current library. But it's obvious devs are starting to think casuals are stupid gamers(yeah, right, they just need to start gaming with the right game, I started gaming with Sonic Advance and it was smooth sailing for me) and like Ubisoft, are dumbing down their games and are relying on gimmicks again. This will not put a good image on the industry, and the image of the industry was what crashed it back in 1983.

And one last thing: Digital sales. Yeah, selling games through the Internet. Look, the world is not ready for it yet. I know MS and Sony will do a big digital sales push on their next consoles, and the majority of the crowd is not ready. Only a little over50% of Americans have broadband. Most freak out at the thought and give up on it, thinking that it's too complicated for them to use. Again, how you introduce that idea is what sells it, and I don't think MS and Sony get this idea. You need to carefully explain it so that people aren't afraid to try it out.

TBH, I can't really tell if the game industry will crash until I see what direction the next Xbox and the PS4 and whatever Nintendo names their next console will take.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

For consoles maybe but the PC has kept steady with how it does things and digital sales are accepted as the norm. I don't see that part going anywhere but I can see consoles crashing or not doing so well because of how saturated its becoming.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

No the industry isn't on the verge of crashing but I expect this thread to be filled with "teh wii is killing gaming and hardcore games" and "HD is killing gaming" before we reach 20 posts. The image of the industry isn't that bad because yyou know what, a game like Super Mario Galaxy or Halo 3 or Crysis has sold more than 200 pieces of shovelware put together. The industry has bigger problems than just image, its image right now is looking pretty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
For a lot of people, the last three years have been the best of gaming. Did you say something about not enough good games?
AlexSays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlexSays
Member since 2008 • 6612 Posts

According to this forum, the industry has always been on the verge of crashing.

There's always someone thinking this.

Like there are people that believe in Santa Claus.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Lawl no. We have more people joining the industry than ever. It is prospering, for all the wrong reasons.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
deactivated-5d25ae64ef918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
Member since 2008 • 8101 Posts
No, not right now anyway, though I feel like companies keep thinking bigger is better instead of quality when making their games.
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts
With this time of endless sequels that rehash the same things over and over. Space marine anyone? I would not be surprised to see that happen on console. Pc is probably safe because 3 guys can make 3d games these days with a small investment (mount and blade and the 10000$) And because it retain some originality... When a game is popular enought to have a sequel on the pc, dev told us to go die under a bridge and release it on console ;)
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts

It's on the verge but not quite there. People cannot see it yet but I see it clearly. The sacrificing of quality for casualization. It will probably become even more apparent next generation when games get even more dumbed down and we get 1 button game controllers with the tacked on gimmick ofcourse. If thats what it takes for people to finally see the truth. Then so be it.

tarzanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tarzanell
Member since 2006 • 1503 Posts

Like there are people that believe in Santa Claus.AlexSays

Wait, what? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :'(

I think it's always a possibility, but with gaming making more money (in some cases) than cinema nowadays, it's not likely to happen for some time. I just think that focus is shifting.

Sonic_on_crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sonic_on_crack
Member since 2007 • 2428 Posts
not its just being affected by the economy in a negative way
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

DLC makes a huge amount of money.

The US is not the only country in the world lol, in many Europian countries. i mean france on average gets speeds of 44mbps.

And here in England virgin media is trialling 50mbps in some parts of the country and BT is experimenting with optical fibre, which could give speeds of up to 100mbps.

Id say its a great time to start making DL content. And at the end of the day you can always download things overnight if it takes a while...

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

The market is thriving because of the Wii.

Nintendo knows how to save the industry.

grr320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 grr320
Member since 2009 • 961 Posts

There's a video game industry?

grr320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 grr320

The market is thriving because of the Wii.

Nintendo knows how to save the industry.

treedoor

nintendo killed themselves during gc era.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-63f6895020e66

It's on the verge but not quite there. People cannot see it yet but I see it clearly. The sacrificing of quality for casualization. It will probably become even more apparent next generation when games get even more dumbed down and we get 1 button game controllers with the tacked on gimmick ofcourse. If thats what it takes for people to finally see the truth. Then so be it.

Dahaka-UK
According to most people, this gen has been , if not the best, one of the best in history of gaming, But I bet if YOU say it is not, then so must be.
grr320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 grr320

this gen sucks seriously.

Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
[QUOTE="Dahaka-UK"]

IronBass
But I bet if YOU say it is not, then so must be.

It is not because it is not. Not because I say it's not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-63f6895020e66
It is not because it is not. Not because I say it's not.Dahaka-UK
Au contraire, mon ami. It is.
death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#20 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts
I don't know what crash means but if it means that they're going to stop making games then lol.
grr320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 grr320

the video game industry is crashing now, no games really doing anything new back in the they people were inventing genres of games, now it's just rehashing gameplay for a certain genre.

video games these day's arent really even any fun, that's why i never play games really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Dahaka-UK

Extending gaming to new audiences will save the gaming industry, rather than destroy it. Focusing on game genres that cater to an aging "hardcore" gaming audience would spell doom for the entire industry.

grr320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 grr320

lol dev's are running out of idea's that's the truth.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

I don't think so. People are going out of business all the time, it was even worse in the 16-bit era.

Besides this is easily one of he best generations in gaming IMO.

JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts

the experts here at system wars expected the nintendo wii to be last place, and predicted that the wii would be nintendo's last console

now the experts of system wars are predicting the gaming industry to crash solely because of the nintendo wii :lol:

system wars is great entertainment

predictions like these are why i keep coming here

Tobe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tobe101
Member since 2008 • 99 Posts

this speculations started on the ds in japan a long time ago. shovelware has always existed in gaming beacuse some guys just want to make a quick buck.
the point of being a gamer is enjoy gaming, and developers need to know we like GOOD games, not something that was made in a month HUM "ET" was ****, i played it and well you know the story. lets just hope people figure what are good games. MONOPOLY SHOULDNT BE ON THE WII!!!

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i don't think so but people need to learn not to make dumb down games. resident evil 5 is a good example. they added a mini map to the game... i kind of hate it just because it is there. re4 didn't have one they had a menu where u would look.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I think it might if we continue to progress graphical requirements beyond any reasonable means to deal with costs.

They're already ridiculously expensive and its a serious problem for even companies with highly profitable games, like Square-Enix with Final Fantasy.

LOXO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LOXO7
Member since 2008 • 5595 Posts
It's a major source of entertainment. :roll:
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ActicEdge

I think it might if we continue to progress graphical requirements beyond any reasonable means to deal with costs.

They're already ridiculously expensive and its a serious problem for even companies with highly profitable games, like Square-Enix with Final Fantasy.

hakanakumono

The industry can't go that far and I doubt it will. The companies seriously don't have the money for that, a few will try but it will become evident that the expense is just too much. i don't think it will happen personally. I don't think the companies are THAT stupid.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

ActicEdge

The industry can't go that far and I doubt it will. The companies seriously don't have the money for that, a few will try but it will become evident that the expense is just too much. i don't think it will happen personally. I don't think the companies are THAT stupid.

If RE5 didn't sell, how do you think Capcom would be doing right now?

Games are huge investments, and if expensive games don't pay off the results could be disastrous. This really discourages companies from being brave and trying new things.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

If RE5 didn't sell, how do you think Capcom would be doing right now?

Games are huge investments, and if expensive games don't pay off the results could be disastrous. This really discourages companies from being brave and trying new things.

The companies rarely do that anyway so nothing will really change. Capcom will never gamble there precious money on a project that may bomb, the are just that money loving. (not a knock against Capcom) The graphical leap to more powerful hardware better come with some damn good middleware and dev tools because otherwise most of the industry will not be able to keep up. I don't see specs going to the point where the costs are that large because the devs seriously won't allow it. Just my view though.

ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ChrisSpartan117

Lawl no. We have more people joining the industry than ever. It is prospering, for all the wrong reasons.Vandalvideo
That's what I'm talking about. Disney is doing something like this with the preteen programming, you can tell it was a last resort for Disney, but what will happen with Disney when that trend dies out? Disney hasn't really put out anything good in movies recently that wasn't made by Pixar. I feel like this may happen, when all of gaming becomes casualized because of money, what will happen when casuals decide to stop gaming?

ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChrisSpartan117

the experts here at system wars expected the nintendo wii to be last place, and predicted that the wii would be nintendo's last console

now the experts of system wars are predicting the gaming industry to crash solely because of the nintendo wii :lol:

system wars is great entertainment

predictions like these are why i keep coming here

JB730

What? The Wii alone isn't what could crash the indsutry. It's the mindset devs created when they approached the Wii, and thinking it could extend to other consoles. Basically, I'm blaming dev laziness.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-63f6895020e66
This has been an awesome generation. From ANY point of view. The Wii is expanding the market as no other console before. We get more and more awesome games, more than we can handle, actually. How the hell is the industry supposed "to crash"? :|
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ChrisSpartan117

This has been an awesome generation. From ANY point of view. The Wii is expanding the market as no other console before. We get more and more awesome games, more than we can handle, actually. How the hell is the industry supposed "to crash"? :| IronBass
After looking at Ubisoft, devolopers getting lazy. It's becoming more and more obvious as the years go by.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-63f6895020e66

[QUOTE="IronBass"]This has been an awesome generation. From ANY point of view. The Wii is expanding the market as no other console before. We get more and more awesome games, more than we can handle, actually. How the hell is the industry supposed "to crash"? :| ChrisSpartan117

After looking at Ubisoft, devolopers getting lazy. It's becoming more and more obvious as the years go by.

I adored Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia -so did the critic and the market-, so I don't get your point.
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ChrisSpartan117

[QUOTE="ChrisSpartan117"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]This has been an awesome generation. From ANY point of view. The Wii is expanding the market as no other console before. We get more and more awesome games, more than we can handle, actually. How the hell is the industry supposed "to crash"? :| IronBass

I adored Assassin's Creed and Prince of Persia -so did the critic and the market-, so I don't get your point.

Have you ever heard of the Petz series? That's what I'm talking about. Come on Ubisoft, you can do better than Petz! The Wii is capable of much more. MUCH more. It's really sad that the Wii has so much potential and it's being wasted so much.

ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ChrisSpartan117

Oh, and Ubisoft reduced Rayman Raving Rabbids from a real platformer to a minigame collection(yes, it was orginally intended to be a platformer) and Red Steel was rushed, and when Ubisoft published No More Heroes, they spent no money on marketing for that game, yet I see Petz marketing! What the hell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Have you ever heard of the Petz series? That's what I'm talking about. Come on Ubisoft, you can do better than Petz! The Wii is capable of much more. MUCH more. It's really sad that the Wii has so much potential and it's being wasted so much ChrisSpartan117
Sorry, I don't judge a dev for its bad games. I judge it for its good games. Ubisoft has not disaapointed me in that regard.
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChrisSpartan117

[QUOTE="ChrisSpartan117"] Have you ever heard of the Petz series? That's what I'm talking about. Come on Ubisoft, you can do better than Petz! The Wii is capable of much more. MUCH more. It's really sad that the Wii has so much potential and it's being wasted so much IronBass
Sorry, I don't judge a dev for its bad games. I judge it for its good games. Ubisoft has not disaapointed me in that regard.

I think you need to balance both the good and the bad to see how the dev is, but Prince of Persia continues to be my favorite series, though I still don't see how the dark tone changefor Warrior Within was necessary, and as for Assassin's Creed, I haven't played it, but it does have some interesting ideals to it, methinks.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-63f6895020e66
I think you need to balance both the good and the bad to see how the dev is ChrisSpartan117
I don't. The vast majority of games on my collection are made by Nintendo. That's why I consider them the best dev. Under such circumstances, why should I judge them for their bad games, the ones I don't even own? A good dev is the one that makes good games, I don't care for anything else. Who cares if on the way they made mistakes, as long as they make good games? I don't.
ChrisSpartan117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ChrisSpartan117

[QUOTE="ChrisSpartan117"]I think you need to balance both the good and the bad to see how the dev is IronBass
I don't. The vast majority of games on my collection are made by Nintendo. QUOTE]Oh, so that's how you see it. I see where you're coming from, Nintendo does make an occasional bad game(see Wii Music), but if the good games make bigger headlines than the bad games, no matter how many bad games there are, the dev should think that they need to make more good games to make bigger bucks. Sorry, I'm just being a little silly today, today was insane for me.

D1gitalDiv1de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 D1gitalDiv1de
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts
The industry is bigger than it has ever been. Back when the first crash took place, gaming was still a very niche form of entertainment that quite honestly a lot of people didn't really understand and/or care for. Now it is an extremely pervasive form of media that has penetrated almost all facets of daily life. From silly online games you play on websites like Newgrounds.com to games you can casually download on your cell phone. Not to mention the fact that hundreds if not thousands of consoles and games are bought daily. So No, the industry is not crashing anytime soon. Maybe some developers will be phased out but gaming as a whole has hit the popularity of movies, music, and television and is pretty much here to stay.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts
Nowhere close.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
the retail market is not in the best of shape with dd sales getting bigger and bigger every day. steam is one of the biggest sellers of pc games and if console makers start doing it the retail stores are in big trouble. Say what ever you like about dd but the fact is the internet is plenty faster enough now for it to be mainstream. do you buy more than 1 or 2 games per month? Any new games will easily be downloaded overnight. Plus look at this burnout paradise 3.2gb installed but under 1.5gb download. splinter cell double agent 10gb installed but 5gb download same goes for every games on steam, you can download heavily compressed games then extract them. There are no new games that are over about 8-10gb download and most are around 5gb. As long as ea continues to limit installs on retail products the retail market will get hurt worse and worse. Look at itunes it is now the biggest music store in the world and when it started download a album took as long as downloading a 5-10gb game does now. Digital Distribution is the future has so many advantages over retail No need for the disk to play No getting annoyed when your new release is sold out More convent In many parts of the world much cheaper You still get the manual can run steam games on as many systems as you like Much easier to transport lots of games just take your hdd with your 30 games on it to your friends plug in and play Can get you games from any computer in the world If the game isn't on steam now = no buy for me.
hywel69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 hywel69
Member since 2002 • 1086 Posts
You make a lot of interesting points. I'd not really thought of them as starting to use gimmiks again, but I guess your right. I don't think it will crash though. The trouble is the business model, or rather the "greed" model. Since all the games studios have merged and become incorporated and listed there is huge pressure to drive sales, "growth", market share etc etc. Its moved from being and SME/Indie operation to big business. The trouble I feel however, is that there are only so many games that the consumer can swallow. Games are not like films which are over in 2 hours or so, and then you can see the next one. The can take weeks, even months to finish. I personally find that the number of game releases now is insane; I simply don't bother to buy all the big releases anymore, there's just too many. The marketing men are desparate to sell sell more, its just "boxes" and units to them. For example I'm currently playing Fallout 3 Soul Caliber 4 Eve Online Age of Conan LOTRO every now and then WoW when Im very bored Galactic Civs Also since they've allowed hard disk installs on the 360, Ive reloaded Universe at war RTS (had some minor issues paging from DVD) Gonna reload Battle for Middle Earth 2 RTS (major loading issues) On my shelf I still have Dragon Ball Z Fighting game Gladiator (old xbox game) Jade Emppire (old xbox game) Every now and then I might play Halo. I was thinking of getting Street Fighter 4....but when am I gonna get time to play it? SC2 and Diablo are comming out soon as well. A lot of new games now I'll just downlaod the dem to "see" vaguely what its about, and thats enough for me unless its some stupendous game. I think the market is reaching saturation point frankly. People simply cant absorb more games, but the dev costs are getting higher and they keep pumping them out. Since the're always looking to "grow", "expand" etc, they try to broaden the appeal (this is where the gimmicks come in). We may see some of the mega merger firms stumple or break up, EA etc may be the new General Motors of games; getting too big is not such a great thing if you need to sell X million units before you make a proffit. Blizzard merging with Activision is a disaster from what I can see. ACTI already posting worse than forcast sales etc, Blizz would be better of as a smaller more nimble company...