Is the game Journey overrated?

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Poll Is the game Journey overrated? (92 votes)

Yea 49%
No 49%

Now that it's been long enough for all the hype to wear off, was Journey overrated? I didn't think it was that great. It was really short and I guess I'm not much of an artsy type? It's not like it made me cry or something.

• 
zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#1 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I waited quite a long time to play it, till it was on sale this summer. For the longest time I thought I'd find it to be overrated or that the game wouldn't click with me like it did others.

The game was brilliant. Exceeded my expectations and was a wonder to play.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

I enjoyed it, but not quite as much as others I think.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Title should say, "Is the 'game' Journey overrated?" because it is not actually a game

DonnaTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DonnaTroy
Member since 2013 • 245 Posts

journey is like Metal Gear Solid 4. both won Game of the Year and both will continue to cause butthurt in non ps3 owners

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

Inb4 pikmin and chazard says this is not a game

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Other than looking nice there isn't all that special about Journey. The gameplay was basic, the game itself was an hour long and there isn't really any reason to ever replay it. Its not terrible but its insanely overrated.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Indie GOTY. Only on PlayStation.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Tried the demo, got bored before I could finish it.

Have no position on it.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mems_1224

@foxhound_fox said:

Tried the demo, got bored before I could finish it.

Have no position on it.

Theres a demo? It must be like half the game lol

Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Its a crappy game that cows have to hype because they have no blockbuster exclusives besides naughty dog games.

I would be embarrassed to play games like these and flower in front of my friends.

But yeah, enjoy.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I thought it was terribly boring. Even though it wad short it took me about a month to beat it. I just don't get why people praise it so much. I did think it picks up a bit towards the end, but eh.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Not over-rated. What it is, however, is a refreshing change of pace and a unique experience.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

There they come, those who believe video games should be glorified toy grounds where systems is all that counts

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

As a game I can't say much about it because I don't see it as such. There's hardly any gameplay and challenge is non-existent.

But as an experience? It's something, to say the least.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#17 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Watched a small portion of it on YouTube and figured it wasn't for me. Heard a lot of good things about it from folks around here, although never understood the hyperbole-gushing from the gaming press though.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

Its okay for what it is but definately not GotY material. Then again 2012 was a very weak year for gaming

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Some of the answers in here disappoint me.

I think it's an incredible little game. It's short but left one hell of an impact on me. It has great visuals, doesn't cram a shitty narrative in your face and has some of the best music ever in a videogame. It also has a great multiplayer component that can make the experience pretty cool. I guess you could call it overrated though considering the stupid hyperbole cows use to describe it

It also IS a game whether people like to admit it or not

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

@BPoole96 said:

Title should say, "Is the 'game' Journey overrated?" because it is not actually a game

^^^we got a mouth breather here, guys!^^^

lol anyways, the game is brilliant. a unique experience you cannot get anywhere else.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I love it. Easily their best game.

Flower is great too. flOw is not all that good.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BPoole96

@lazerface216 said:

@BPoole96 said:

lol anyways, the game is brilliant. a unique experience you cannot get anywhere else.

If you think holding forward on the analog stick for an hour constitutes as a video games then by all means, but I've played slot machines with more depth than Journey

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

No it isnt. Its trully a masterpiece and whoever disagrees knows nothing about what Journey was about

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

It's quite the walking through the sand simulator.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

It doesn't have any guns, it doesn't have long cutscenes that you cant skip, it doesnt have explosions, it doesnt have DLC, it doesnt have microtransactions, it doesnt have yearly sequels, it doesnt reuse assets from other games, it's not a sequel, it's not a prequel, it's not a remake, it's not trying to appeal to a broader audience. This is something that 99% of retail games cannot say.

The art is incredible, the soundtrack is incredible, the direction is incredible, it's story is very subtle, it's unique, it has the best use of multiplayer ive ever seen, it's short and sweet.

.....But yeah it probably is a little overrated, GOTY awards for a downloadable game is a bit much =P

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mems_1224

@Vatusus said:

No it isnt. Its trully a masterpiece and whoever disagrees knows nothing about what Journey was about

being pretentious and holding the joystick up for an hour?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

No it is not overhyped. It deserves all the praise it got. I am a proud owner of that game and have beaten it 8-10 times. When I first got it, it was my go to game when I wanted a break from whatever game I was currently playing at the time. It is such a peaceful relaxing game.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

It was hardly some emotional journey that brought tears to my eyes or any stupid shit like the press was saying but it was a great game for what it was trying to do.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@Evo_nine said:

Its a crappy game that cows have to hype because they have no blockbuster exclusives besides naughty dog games.

I would be embarrassed to play games like these and flower in front of my friends.

But yeah, enjoy.

Hmmm...Do I detect an insecure man-child?

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Not at all. It's a highlight of this generation and a game that warrants the degree of praise received.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Not even sure it was game tbh

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

lol, no.

Its does what it sets out to do very well. If what it sets out to do simply isn't something you enjoy, then that doesn't make it a worse game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@MadVybz: yea I agree. More of an experience than anything else.

The thing that mesmerized me about Journey was the multiplayer. It allowed barriers to be crossed and I've never made stronger bonds with people playing a game as I did with this one.

I got so many notes in my inbox after many games, much of the time in foreign languages and I'm pretty sure most, if not all, were thank you notes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Yes. Theres a current media trend to praise releases that arent much of games in the first place.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Everytime I enter threads about Journey or Heavy Rain/Beyond I get kinda irritated because there's always a bunch of pricks that seem to seriously believe that these aren't games. You have a character, you interact with the character and the universe by pressing buttons. To "complete" the game, you have to interact with the character to get it to the final destination. This is done by running around (and flying) , jumping, interacting with the environment, avoiding enemies and solving (easy) puzzles as well as collecting collectables (optional). In addition, there are achievements/tropies.

How exactly is this not a game? Geez, couldn't they have added an ignore button when they remade this site, some opinions just aren't worth listening to...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#36  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

No it's not. You get out of it what you want out of it. It's a game where symbolism is created by the user and not by the game

DonnaTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 DonnaTroy
Member since 2013 • 245 Posts

wow... so much jelly over it winning goty. relax.... my little lems and herms. you've got a whole new generation to hope for a goty exclusive.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

@BPoole96 said:

@lazerface216 said:

@BPoole96 said:

If you think holding forward on the analog stick for an hour constitutes as a video games then by all means, but I've played slot machines with more depth than Journey

...except it's much more than just holding the analog stick for an hour. are you really this dense? or is the idea of breathing through your nose that intimidating?

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Nope. Not to me at least. I loved every second of it. I played it through 2 days in a row when I beat it and I got misty eyed both times.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

For its price was phenomenal.

Overated ? Maybe but still something nice to play

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MadVybz

@xWoW_Rougex said:

Everytime I enter threads about Journey or Heavy Rain/Beyond I get kinda irritated because there's always a bunch of pricks that seem to seriously believe that these aren't games. You have a character, you interact with the character and the universe by pressing buttons. To "complete" the game, you have to interact with the character to get it to the final destination. This is done by running around (and flying) , jumping, interacting with the environment, avoiding enemies and solving (easy) puzzles as well as collecting collectables (optional). In addition, there are achievements/tropies.

How exactly is this not a game? Geez, couldn't they have added an ignore button when they remade this site, some opinions just aren't worth listening to...

And may I ask what is so wrong about calling something like Journey interactive art as opposed to a fully-fledged game?

If you start calling it a 'game' then you put it in a category that'll make it look foolish, because in the 'game' department it's as shallow as a puddle; all flash an no substance.

Journey clearly wasn't developed as a game in mind. What it is certainly isn't bad, but it certainly isn't a game either.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts
@MadVybz said:

@xWoW_Rougex said:

And may I ask what is so wrong about calling something like Journey interactive art as opposed to a fully-fledged game?

If you start calling it a 'game' then you put it in a category that'll make it look foolish, because in the 'game' department it's as shallow as a puddle; all flash an no substance.

Journey clearly wasn't developed as a game in mind. What it is certainly isn't bad, but it certainly isn't a game either.

It's obviously a game! It plays out like just about every other 3D platformer except it's short and more simplistic. Even if it's all just flash and substance.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's hipster indie shit.

But it's good hipster indie shit. In fact it's wonderful hipster indie shit. So no I don't think Journey is overrated. Do I think statements like "it's like controlling a poem" are mind numbingly stupid descriptions? Absofuckinglutely they are. But it's a wonderful experience. Way more worth my time than your run of the mil FPS, triple A action game, or story driven indie games where the writer is clearly writing a my first short story.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BPoole96

@lazerface216 said:

@BPoole96 said:

@lazerface216 said:

@BPoole96 said:

...except it's much more than just holding the analog stick for an hour. are you really this dense? or is the idea of breathing through your nose that intimidating?

Really? Please explain what you do in the game aside from holding forward and how a person "playing" the game would have a different experience than a person just watching it. You can skip the ad hominem as well.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@Vatusus said:

being pretentious and holding the joystick up for an hour?

Except it's not even remotely pretentious

Plus the notion that any piece of entertainment in any medium is "bad" because it's "pretentious" is a bit of a fallacy. You can easily be great and pretentious. It's not lunacy for that to be plausible.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Yes, A LOT.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#47  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58944 Posts

Doom II's better.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

No. It was a great experience.

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MadVybz

@xWoW_Rougex said:

It's obviously a game! It plays out like just about every other 3D platformer except it's short and more simplistic. Even if it's all just flash.

I applaud your enthusiasm for Journey, and I can't blame you because it is definitely one of a kind and proves what can be done with a platform in the name of art.

However simply running around and appreciating pretty skyboxes and atmosphere isn't a game, it's a tour. Yes there is some degree of navigation and interaction but it serves very little purpose for the recipient if you're going to consider them 'game' properties. There is no challenge or punishment for player action, and any gratifying feeling from it certainly doesn't stem from gameplay, but rather its aesthetics and context.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@BPoole96 said: