Is the 3DS more powerful than a Ps2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Joedgabe (5093 posts) -

Serious Question. It seems the 3DS has slight framerate problems when it runs 3D games (ironically )

Most noticeably pokemon in 3 Vs 3 battles it has noticeable framerate problems. MH3U also has frame rate problem in the higher hunting missions as well as RE:R in a few areas.

#2 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (5201 posts) -

Yes.

#3 Edited by lamprey263 (22804 posts) -

probably not, but it's a great handheld anyways

#4 Posted by Sweenix (5396 posts) -

Slightly, i would compare it to the Wii though.

#5 Edited by Gue1 (9418 posts) -

3DS has a very slight edge but it gets countered by its own 3D and double screen... So, in a way the PS2's more powerful but because 3DS has newer tech inside it can render stuff like for example: MGS3 on 3DS had an effect, which I don't know its name because I don't know anything about graphic rendering, where the clothes of Snake moved by the wind. That's something that simply wasn't possible on the PS2.

#6 Posted by Blabadon (25683 posts) -

Some ways yes, more ways no

#7 Edited by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

I wouldn't be too surprised either way. It's a handheld, yeah, but the PS2 is well over a decade old, and tech, especially mobile/handheld tech, has improved a lot in that decade.

#8 Posted by DarthBilf (1356 posts) -

From what I understand it's roughly on par with the Gamecube, which was more powerful than the PS2, so yeah.

#9 Posted by charizard1605 (55544 posts) -

It's supposed to be more powerful than the Gamecube effectively, with the added benefit of shaders, which puts it pretty well beyond the PS2 (and PSP and Dreamcast). Its issues are the 3D effect, which requires double rendering of a single image, as well as the bottom screen, which often requires rendering of a third image.

The games you are talking about, however- Resident Evil: Revelations is a graphically stunning game that absolutely pushes the 3DS to its maximum (meaning of course there is minor slowdown), Pokemon is ver poorly optimized (because Game Freak sucks with technology, remember the original DS Pokemon games?), Monster Hunter was a downport of a very taxing Wii game.

In general, the 3DS does wonders with its hardware, though, look at something like Kid Icarus: Uprising.

#10 Posted by Seabas989 (10037 posts) -

I'm honestly not sure.

#11 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -

Yes, but lower res.

#12 Posted by Ghost120x (3688 posts) -

I don't think so but then again, I know nothing about hardware. The 3ds is capable of better lighting/shader effects but when it comes to things like processing power (framerates ect) it is weaker and is most likely because the cpu is not being used to the maximum listed capacity to save battery life. The cpu is probably clocked at the lowest being 800mhz and with rendering things for the second screen it can make things complicated.

That's my 2 cents correct me if I'm wrong lol.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (55544 posts) -

I don't think so but then again, I know nothing about hardware. The 3ds is capable of better lighting/shader effects but when it comes to things like processing power (framerates ect) it is weaker and is most likely because the cpu is not being used to the maximum listed capacity to save battery life. The cpu is probably clocked at the lowest being 800mhz and with rendering things for the second screen it can make things complicated.

That's my 2 cents correct me if I'm wrong lol.

It's clocked higher than 800 MHz. You're right in assuming that it's not clocked at maximum, but it's still pretty strained (mostly because of the 3D effect).

It is, however, a more powerful system than PS2 or even Gamecube. Better GPU, more RAM, shaders, post processing, and so on.

#14 Edited by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

Serious Question. It seems the 3DS has slight framerate problems when it runs 3D games (ironically )

Most noticeably pokemon in 3 Vs 3 battles it has noticeable framerate problems. MH3U also has frame rate problem in the higher hunting missions as well as RE:R in a few areas.

Yes i.e. DX7 type GPU with fix function DX9 type effects.

#15 Edited by GreySeal9 (24008 posts) -

I don't know all the specs and what not, but I can't think of a single PS2 games that looks as close to as good as Resident Evil: Revelations.

#16 Posted by Joedgabe (5093 posts) -

It's supposed to be more powerful than the Gamecube effectively, with the added benefit of shaders, which puts it pretty well beyond the PS2 (and PSP and Dreamcast). Its issues are the 3D effect, which requires double rendering of a single image, as well as the bottom screen, which often requires rendering of a third image.

The games you are talking about, however- Resident Evil: Revelations is a graphically stunning game that absolutely pushes the 3DS to its maximum (meaning of course there is minor slowdown), Pokemon is ver poorly optimized (because Game Freak sucks with technology, remember the original DS Pokemon games?), Monster Hunter was a downport of a very taxing Wii game.

In general, the 3DS does wonders with its hardware, though, look at something like Kid Icarus: Uprising.

D:<

don't be talking bad about the pokemon team!