Is System Wars Dying?

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Is System Wars Dying? (70 votes)

Yes, there's a decline 83%
Dind't notice. 17%

Welcome to this awkward thread. The question at hand, as many of you have been pointing out and asking as of recent, is that is there really a decline in System Wars nowadays?

1. Is System Wars dying?

• Do people just not care for System Wars as much as they used to?

2. What are the contributing factors that are causing such problems?

• In this case, could Nintendo's poor performance this gen have driven away the Sheep? I'm asking because it seems there's rarely any Sheep on this forum nowadays.
  • Are Microsoft's recent bad months and the 360's drought on exclusive games, thus the lack of things to actually talk about and discuss, a reason for the decline of Lemming participation?
  • Have things become too repetitive that we've just become too bored?
  • Did the change of Gamespot's UI and website drive people to other places?

3. What can be done to make System Wars as active as it used to be?

DISCUSS!

#1 Posted by wis3boi (31469 posts) -

95% trolls, 4% hot gas, 1% reason

#2 Edited by dvalo9 (1280 posts) -

It's pretty much a troll fest atm.

It's been a while since anyone had a gaming discussing without it being an argument.

Example, I say I'm excited for The witcher 3, someone is bound to come here with 101 reasons why fable is better.

#3 Edited by Whiteblade999 (5537 posts) -

The redesign scared away a lot of people because of the problems that week I would imagine.

#4 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

A lot of the boards died after the site change, this is the only determining factor I think

The reason people think trolls are the problem is because most of them stayed and went nowhere while decent posters left

#5 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

No, SW is dead.

#6 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

Dat sig.

#7 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3293 posts) -

Yeah the board change scared away all of the good posters. Now there is only cows and cow alts. They should rename the forum Troll Wars

#8 Edited by lostrib (37646 posts) -

if you want to see dead, go over to OT

#9 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

Then I shall make it a mission to steal back all of System Wars traffic from those other sites!

#10 Edited by Darthmatt (8966 posts) -

It was more exciting in the golden days, like 2005-2006. When the xbox/PS2 was about to transition into the next gen.

#11 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

Site is so slow on my phone and tablet, kind of makes it a pain to even check unless I'm sitting at my desk at work. I'm sure that alone has driven a few people away. Although some of the recent bannings were nice so there's still hope. Glad to see some fewer trolls and wannabe mods around here. Still way to many trolls and alts left though. That should slow down a bit in the next month or two, once we get past the launches and back into game reviews.

#12 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

@HadOne2Many:

#13 Edited by aroxx_ab (10071 posts) -

@Whiteblade999 said:

The redesign scared away a lot of people because of the problems that week I would imagine.

This

#14 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3611 posts) -

Blame the site change. Don't worry, I'm still here though.

#15 Edited by TruthArisen (385 posts) -

Wonder Woman responds.

"Very slow day. Everyone is playing PS4."

#16 Edited by lamprey263 (24166 posts) -

you mean have opinionated fanboys stopped posting their myopic views in an antagonizing manner that's a constant source of amusement; NO

but GameSpot probably lost quite a few people during the website metamorphosis

#17 Posted by Mkavanaugh77 (20840 posts) -

System wars will die when there are no more fanboys, so it will never die.

#18 Edited by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

A lot of the boards died after the site change, this is the only determining factor I think

The reason people think trolls are the problem is because most of them stayed and went nowhere while decent posters left

This... there are no more trolls than usual, it's just that many good posters left, or stopped being as active as they used to be.

Even to this day, major issues remain, we still haven't gotten the markers for thread you posted in, or the unread post count, so this redesign is easily the worst thing that happened to GS ever since I came here. I wonder if the board will ever recover, and be as active as it was only a month ago.

#19 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

#20 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

@HadOne2Many:

?

#21 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

I think it's a case where cows outnumber lemmings and sheep by a factor of about 10:1.

#22 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25766 posts) -

This year has actually been a lot of fun thanks to PS4/Bone dramas. I think the post-redesign inactivity is a site-wide thing. The PS board is oddly quiet considering what day it is and the Xbox board is utterly dead. General Games Discussion is fairly lively.

#23 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

@Darthmatt said:

It was more exciting in the golden days, like 2005-2006. When the xbox/PS2 was about to transition into the next gen.

I disagree... there was a lot of hype and heated discussions over the last few months, when the PS4 and X1 were announced.

If the site didn't go through the redesign, I'm sure we would've been seeing thousands of posts right now, like we did on the PS4 and X1 announcements, as well as E3.

#24 Posted by freedomfreak (40928 posts) -

Most probably the redesign.

There are those that left. Those that complain, but won't leave. And those that just stayed.

#25 Edited by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

As long as Im around. SW wont be dead.

#26 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

@SNIPER4321: Is that because you carry on conversations between you and your alts?

#27 Posted by Gue1 (10198 posts) -

megaton announcements like Uncharted 4 only fill up 3 pages. Now this is when you know the forums are dead.

#28 Posted by heretrix (37405 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

megaton announcements like Uncharted 4 only fill up 3 pages. Now this is when you know the forums are dead.

How in the fuck is a game that was pretty much dead certain to appear on the PS4 a megaton?

#29 Edited by TREAL_Since (11946 posts) -

Compared to it's former self, SW isn't just dying, it's practically a vegetable on the verge of a relative pulling the plug. I'm not sure if there will be a return of sustainable traffic anytime soon. Just people making fun of a particular system or game whenever something major occurs.

I decided to come back for some news, trolling, and to read some opinions on games, with the new gen and all. But the game ain't the same no mo'. I heard Off-Topic is a dead zone as well (though I never frequent there).

EDIT: Daily I notice the same 20 or so people keeping this place alive. I may go back to lurk mode. I bet there are a bunch of lurkers. I can feel their eyes lol.

#30 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

You guys all make good points. And yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice.

#31 Posted by lostrib (37646 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

I hope you get banned soon

#32 Posted by freedomfreak (40928 posts) -
@lostrib said:
@SNIPER4321 said:

I hope you get banned soon

#33 Edited by Sushiglutton (5335 posts) -

Yeah there is so much trolling and smartass comments/gifs/memes going on so it's completely pointless to put any effort into your posts. I just post some oneliners and rarely revisit threads. As a place for game discussion it's atrocious. As a forum where you can just randomly write some pointless junk about games, because you are bored, it's ok.

#34 Edited by daveg1 (20333 posts) -

its been rubbish for yesrs since the last site change up!

#35 Posted by nethernova (4113 posts) -

It died when they allowed all forms of trolling. Now it's a filthy place filled with ridiculous fakeboys and alt accounts.

#36 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@HadOne2Many said:

Site is so slow on my phone and tablet, kind of makes it a pain to even check unless I'm sitting at my desk at work. I'm sure that alone has driven a few people away. Although some of the recent bannings were nice so there's still hope. Glad to see some fewer trolls and wannabe mods around here. Still way to many trolls and alts left though. That should slow down a bit in the next month or two, once we get past the launches and back into game reviews.

Yeah, I use to post a lot from my phone, but now I don't even bother attempting to come to the site on my phone because I am lucky if I can get the front page to load. Forget about reaching the forums.

#37 Edited by dvalo9 (1280 posts) -

well considering that its just three people making threads and most likely alt accounts too, i'd say its dying. When the X1 comes out there may be a bit more life. at the moment it's just lems trolling any reported ps4 issues.

#38 Edited by Couth_ (10166 posts) -

This is probably the most inactive forum on any major website on the internet. I blame the old ToS and mods who didn't allow proper trolling (Proper trolling is actually funny, the community and stupid meta game that doesn't allow for any actual discussion. Everything based on Gamespot scores.. srsly who's stupid idea was that

There's no ToS anymore but its too late and the mods still lock too many threads for no reason

#39 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

Yeah, I can't imagine how much traffic and money Gamespot made back in the good days from System wars. Seriously, back then, you couldn't keep up. A page like my Killzone Hype thread after such a flop would fill up so fast that when you finish typing a response to something on page one, your comment will appear on page 2 and on. Things moved so fast. You had to scroll back a few pages to find someone you were arguing with and quote them. You couldn't keep up. It was crazy and fun. And now....like you guys already said, even the PS4 launch thread, the Uncharted 4 announcement threads are just like meh.

#40 Posted by Zoso813 (310 posts) -

Honestly this place used to have legitimate debates and discussions. It's turned into nothing but trolling in recent years. Add to that a drought of good games for for a few of the systems, and there really isn't much to talk about.

#41 Posted by freedomfreak (40928 posts) -
@John_Matherson said:

Yeah, I can't imagine how much traffic and money Gamespot made back in the good days from System wars. Seriously, back then, you couldn't keep up. A page like my Killzone Hype thread after such a flop would fill up so fast that when you finish typing a response to something on page one, your comment will appear on page 2 and on. Things moved so fast. You had to scroll back a few pages to find someone you were arguing with and quote them. You couldn't keep up. It was crazy and fun. And now....like you guys already said, even the PS4 launch thread, the Uncharted 4 announcement threads are just like meh.

Did you get rid of your old account?

#42 Posted by TREAL_Since (11946 posts) -

@Couth_:

Yeah, I think you just pinpointed the real reasons this place fell off. All of that on top of the re-design. SW has fallen and I don't think anyone bought it a Life Alert last Christmas.

#43 Edited by rilpas (8222 posts) -

I haven't posted here in a while, but this isn't my first account here, what killed System Wars for me was the current TOS (or rather lack of them).

The trolls have taken over system wars, there's no actual discussion anymore. Every post boils down to "lol u butthurt"

Now granted even the old TOU had trolls, some trully epic ones at that (remember PS_John?) But now it's just boring trolling with no rules or discussion. As it is, system wars is basically dead.

#44 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

Never came here because of number of members, threads, or posters. Came here due to the quickness of breaking news, the entertainment of arguing about video games, the personalities of crazy Cows :) and that as a MS fan its one of the few places you can express a opinion and have it actually not be deleted and have your account banned. If you are on the internet in any forum you will deal with fanboys. If you can't ignore then get offline. But I'd take the seven to 10 posters here that I truly enjoy over worrying about the number of jerks who's opinion I can easily ignore.

All in all SW is fine. Crazy as usual.

#45 Posted by TheEroica (13706 posts) -

I'm enjoying system wars more than ever to be honest. I really like the new site... The notification bar is so welcomed... Maybe the best advancement to site ever. I only miss the ability to jump to spots in the thread I left off on. As far as community is concerned, I honestly think that fleeing a site is a little far when it comes to a redesign. As if we have nno ability to learn and thus run away. Meh. System wars has a great community and some lousy trolls... Its perfect.

#46 Posted by super600 (30718 posts) -

SW is still one of the most active boards on this site. Some of the other boards like OT and some of the other boards got hurt more by the recent site redesign.I still have some issues with this new site redesign, but those issues may be eventually fixed,

#47 Edited by super600 (30718 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

This is probably the most inactive forum on any major website on the internet. I blame the old ToS and mods who didn't allow proper trolling (Proper trolling is actually funny, the community and stupid meta game that doesn't allow for any actual discussion. Everything based on Gamespot scores.. srsly who's stupid idea was that

There's no ToS anymore but its too late and the mods still lock too many threads for no reason

Technically their is a TOU. It's the cbs interactive TOU. I don;t know what happened to the GS TOU.

Link to the cbs interactive TOU.

https://cbsi.secure.force.com/CBSi/articles/FAQ/CBS-Interactive--Terms-of-Use?retURL=%2FCBSi%2Fapex%2Fknowledgehome%3Freferer%3DmobileTerms.com&popup=false&categories=CBS_Interactive%3AmTOU&template=template_mobileTerms&referer=mobileTerms.com

#48 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

I'm enjoying system wars more than ever to be honest. I really like the new site... The notification bar is so welcomed... Maybe the best advancement to site ever. I only miss the ability to jump to spots in the thread I left off on. As far as community is concerned, I honestly think that fleeing a site is a little far when it comes to a redesign. As if we have nno ability to learn and thus run away. Meh. System wars has a great community and some lousy trolls... Its perfect.

I have the same opinion. Also, nothing ever stays the same. Forums change cause peoples lives change, trends change, ect. As I said there is no such thing as a forum that doesn't have trolls/fanboys. That place dopes not exist on the internet. But if you sincerely make a thread to discuss a topic there are more than a few posters who won't just respond with a gif or damage control/butthurt/lemming/cow. They will argue their point and make their case. I wish there were more of them, yes. But they are still here.

#49 Edited by BPoole96 (22802 posts) -

This board is like 90% Cows and Hermits, whom get along for the most part outside of comparing Killzone and Crusoe graphics.

#50 Posted by TheEroica (13706 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: just bookmark the forum page. One click and you're there. The new mobile design is far easier to use than the old one.