Is Super Mario Galaxy the greatest game of this generation?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (12766 posts) -

Recently a highly respected website "eurogamer" listed Super Mario Galaxy as theee game of the generation.

I feel I can agree with this since it's an incredibly creative and artistic experience young or old can enjoy.

But how feels you... the community? Are highly unoriginal titles like Last Of Us and Uncharted almost as good? How about the incredible Orange Box and the amazing Portal 2? It seems that it's deffo Mario Galaxy or a Valve title.

Your wonderful opinions on this matter are required my friends.

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28044 posts) -

It's one of them, to be sure.

#3 Posted by Consternated (848 posts) -

It's definitely one of them. I'd also throw WoW into the pot.

#4 Posted by cainetao11 (19512 posts) -

It cant be. As a young poster has told me, 720p is a blurry mess, so SMG which isn't even HD has to be the equivalent of having the TV turned off. Non seeable or playable.

#5 Edited by YoshiYogurt (5991 posts) -

Portal 2 was too short and boring IMO, to be game of the gen. Still a game I loved to play though.

I don't think anything on the 360 would be game of the gen. Maybe a few PS3 games, PC games, and multiplats could contend with Galaxy.

#6 Posted by Keva820 (190 posts) -

No...it only got good scores because it was a good game for the crappy wii

#7 Edited by uninspiredcup (12766 posts) -

@YoshiYogurt said:

Portal 2 was too short and boring IMO, to be game of the gen. Still a game I loved to play though.

I don't think anything on the 360 would be game of the gen. Maybe a few PS3 games, PC games, and multiplats could contend with Galaxy.

The great thing about Nintendo and (most) Valve games is that they have universal value. A young child or an old, a newbie to gaming or an old hat can pick them up and enjoy them. Superior developers. Naughty Dog... eh, not so much. They are alright. I guess.

#8 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3800 posts) -

Out of all the games I've played, yup.

#9 Posted by Keva820 (190 posts) -

@YoshiYogurt said:

Please, you're giving nintengodno way to much credit

#10 Edited by MonsieurX (31666 posts) -

@Keva820 said:

@YoshiYogurt said:

Please, you're giving nintengodno way to much credit

Please,go away Kaszilla

#11 Edited by jg4xchamp (50339 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy 2 would be in my top 10, probably my top 5.

Wouldn't be my pick for numero uno though. Would go with Demon's Souls on that one.

#12 Edited by Krelian-co (13060 posts) -

someone still butthurt about naughty dogs xD

This one is

**Disclaimer: i don't give a fuk what TC says, so save your highly ignorant reply to this post, the rest of the people discuss away

#13 Posted by nethernova (4258 posts) -

No. A game without a story is something I forget as soon as I have finished it.

#14 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5227 posts) -

It's up to the gamer, i'd like to think we've moved beyond there being a single game that beats all the others.

In my own opinion, there have just been too may awesome games this gen for me to consider Galaxy amounst the greatest. My personal best Wii game is Pro Evo 2013.

#15 Edited by uninspiredcup (12766 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

**Disclaimer: i don't give a fuk what TC says

But you keep giving angry replies. :/

#16 Posted by Krelian-co (13060 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@Krelian-co said:

**Disclaimer: i don't give a fuk what TC says

But you keep giving angry replies. :/

angry? xD

i just knew you would come up with some bs, why should i be angry about, you are the one showing butthurt everywhere because naughty dog is #1 dev right now.

#17 Posted by Heil68 (47171 posts) -

Nope, that's Uncharted 2.

#18 Edited by TruthArisen (403 posts) -

Wonder Woman shakes her head.

"System Wars voted The Last of Us as game of the generation."

Gotg

#19 Posted by Flubbbs (3588 posts) -

no.. Mario hasnt earned a game of the generation title since Super Mario World

#20 Edited by uninspiredcup (12766 posts) -

@Flubbbs said:

no.. Mario hasnt earned a game of the generation title since Super Mario World

But super Mario Galaxy has a 97 metacritic.

#21 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

It would make my top 10, but probably not the top 5.

#22 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

nah. if games today were modeled after SMG we'd have a very boring industry

#23 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

@mrintro said:

Games today are modeled after COD and the industry is very boring for the most part.

#24 Edited by princeofshapeir (15184 posts) -

I'd say Super Mario Galaxy 2 is better on a personal level. SMG1 was the introduction with an accompanying story; SMG2 was the refinement with a focus on mechanics and design.

Both games have the most inventive and polished game design I've seen from any game this generation. Nothing else comes close. Nintendo's genius is engraved into the level design, gorgeous artstyle, and majestic soundtrack.

I'd say the series as a whole is the series of the generation, I'd hate to have to single either game out as "the best" since both must be experienced.

#25 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@mrintro said:

Games today are modeled after COD and the industry is very boring for the most part.

I would say today's games were most influenced by Call of Duty (using rpg elements in a shooter), Gears of War (over the shoulder camera), and Metal Gear Solid (cinematics)

#26 Posted by princeofshapeir (15184 posts) -

@TruthArisen said:

Gotg

Honeymoon phase. It's the PS3's best exclusive but SMG2 is simply a better game if you value design and mechanics.

#27 Edited by _Matt_ (9426 posts) -

No.

Dark Souls.

#28 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

Nah it's Xenoblade Chronicles. But then again, I still haven't played SMG1+2

#29 Posted by MBirdy88 (9007 posts) -

There is no "game of the generation" because its preference. Mario Galaxy was super easy, short and was a play on nostalgia in more ways than one. yes I LIKEd playing through it, yes it was enjoyable. but I wouldnt put it in my top 25 games of the generation? why because i played so many more for longer and found them better.

HAving pretty artistic direction and being the best of platformers means jack s*it to me.

#30 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

My top 10 (put together in about 5 minutes with at least 2-3 glaring omissions, no doubt) would be

1. Total War: Shogun 2

2. Valkyria Chronicles

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

4. Crysis

5. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

6. Super Mario Galaxy

7. Assassin's Creed 2

8. Civ 5

9. The Last Remnant

10. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

#31 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9393 posts) -

I always thought that Super Mario Galaxy was kind of lack luster. It never really wowed me

Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the other hand felt way more fresh and original. That game blew my mind around every single corner with creative new gameplay concepts. It's like the developers played it safe with the first game and just let loose in the second.

Having said that, I'd give game of the gen to either Batman Arkham City or Donkey Kong Country Returns.

#32 Posted by scoots9 (3254 posts) -

Nope, Galaxy 2 is.

#34 Posted by aroxx_ab (10774 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

Nah it's Xenoblade Chronicles. But then again, I still haven't played SMG1+2

Wow, dude go and get them NOOOOOOW !!!

#35 Posted by Ghost120x (4173 posts) -

I guess so. I really can't decide:

Mario Galaxy

Xenoblade

Metal gear solid 4

Gears of war

The world ends with you

Forza 4

#36 Posted by kemar7856 (11512 posts) -

no galaxy was a 8/10 game at best

#37 Posted by TruthArisen (403 posts) -

@princeofshapeir said:

@TruthArisen said:

Gotg

Honeymoon phase. It's the PS3's best exclusive but SMG2 is simply a better game if you value design and mechanics.

"System Wars has spoken."

#38 Edited by Boddicker (3098 posts) -

It very well could be...........but like many here I wasn't willing to buy a Wii just to play Mario and Zelda.

#39 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3800 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

than you must have played bad games...

How about you play games before you bash them?

#40 Edited by princeofshapeir (15184 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

@princessgomez92 said:

than you must have played bad games...

How about you play games before you bash them?

"Nintendo is corrupt company, Mario is for kiddy anime girly men, no skill involved, Illuminati propaganda very evident in all Mario game"

#41 Edited by PannicAtack (21040 posts) -

@TruthArisen said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@TruthArisen said:

Gotg

"System Wars has spoken."

System Wars is full of idiots. Who cares what they think?

If that thread had been made a few months earlier, Bioshock Infinite would lead the poll. A few months later it'd be GTAV.

#42 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18630 posts) -

SMG1&2, MGS4, and GeOW are my top games this gen.

#43 Edited by charizard1605 (61548 posts) -

It's not my personal favorite, but yeah, SMG2 is flat out the best example of game design we have this generation.

If Portal 2 had been longer, I would have put it up there for sure.

#44 Posted by madsnakehhh (14988 posts) -

@mrintro said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@mrintro said:

I would say today's games were most influenced by Call of Duty (using rpg elements in a shooter), Gears of War (over the shoulder camera), and Metal Gear Solid (cinematics)

Gears of War didn't introduce the over the should camera.

Anyway, is definitely one of the best games this gen, sometimes i do think is the best since it was an amazing experience but other times i remember games like The Walking Dead (which it has arguably the best story this gen), The Last of Us (despite everything, is still amazing) or Bayonetta (another one of my all time favorites), in the end is pretty hard to decide which was the best game of this gen, but both SMG are definitely up there.

#45 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@madsnakehhh said:

@mrintro said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@mrintro said:

Gears of War didn't introduce the over the should camera.

Anyway, is definitely one of the best games this gen, sometimes i do think is the best since it was an amazing experience but other times i remember games like The Walking Dead (which it has arguably the best story this gen), The Last of Us (despite everything, is still amazing) or Bayonetta (another one of my all time favorites), in the end is pretty hard to decide which was the best game of this gen, but both SMG are definitely up there.

That's right, it was Resident Evil 4. Gears of War was cover mechanics.

#46 Posted by uninspiredcup (12766 posts) -

I don't understand why some people are saying Metal Gear Solid 4.

#47 Posted by padaporra (3440 posts) -

No.

#48 Posted by ihsanqueen (909 posts) -

No, although it will be among top ten

The Last of Us is my game of generation

#49 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9393 posts) -

@mrintro said:

nah. if games today were modeled after SMG we'd have a A LOT MORE CREATIVITY IN THIS INDUSTRY

fixed

#50 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

I lost interest in the game after a couple hours. The Mario platformers of recent years have just not been very charming experiences imo.

But I don't think I could list a single game as the greatest of a generation. I had way too much fun with a lot of different games.