Is Sunset Overdrive an AE, AAE, or AAAE game?

• 119 results
Edited 4 days, 22 hours ago

Poll: Is Sunset Overdrive an AE, AAE, or AAAE game? (101 votes)

AAAE 24%
AAE 54%
AE 22%

I was playing Destiny beta earlier when I overheard someone say "I hope Sunset Overdrives comes to PS4." And I was like wtf, really? (I didn't say that outloud, I didn't want to ruin team chemistry. But I did say it has a better shot of coming to PC). Anyway, are people really hyped up for game? I wanted to know what SW thinks about this game and what kind of game will it be. Me, it looks like a solid A or AA type exclusive that will probably come to PC at some point. You?

#1 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3001 posts) -

I detest the artstyle and I fear that it tastes a lot more of old hat, than it should.

Edit:

It does look like a total hipster-brofest, so it stands a decent chance of receiving AAAE status from sites like this and IGN.

#2 Posted by Animal-Mother (26186 posts) -

I feel like while not a rehash it's seemingly usuing a crockpot approach.

Jet set radio style movement with arcadey style gameplay in an open world.

I think it'll definitely AAA as it does look refreshing. But wouldn't
be surprised if insomniac miffed it.

#3 Edited by clone01 (24121 posts) -

I don't know. Alas, I do not have a time machine. I think if I had a time machine I'd be considerably wealthier.

#4 Edited by Blabadon (25184 posts) -

Sooooo... This is the hype thread then, eh?

#5 Edited by chikenfriedrice (9342 posts) -

I am saying AAE....probably score an 8 but man does it look fun. Can't wait.

#6 Edited by ActicEdge (24307 posts) -

AAE. Will get an 8.

#7 Posted by sts106mat (18747 posts) -

probably AAE at the most, i can see why people might enjoy it, but it's not something i fancy.

It's something i'd like to dry a demo for though, just to feel how it plays.

#8 Edited by cainetao11 (15787 posts) -

It looks really fun to me. I was revisiting ratchet and clank with a buddy recently and I thought SO may be as fun as these were. We'll see. Could get repetitive after a couple of hours also.

#9 Posted by cainetao11 (15787 posts) -

@clone01: "I don't know. Alas, I do not have a time machine. I think if I had a time machine I'd be considerably wealthier."

And when I'm rich id convince Salma Hayek I'm the man.............. well maybe

#10 Edited by sailor232 (4259 posts) -

I guess a solid 8/10, I'll pick it up if it gets good reviews.

#11 Edited by kinectthedots (1445 posts) -

This is literally xbox fans most hyped new IP. I have seen this game used to defend xbox1's entire 2014 line up to say it's better than PS4's. One thing is for sure, it is being treated like an AAA or better by it's xbox 1 fanbase.

It will be curious to see the xbox fans who accused cows of being cowards for not all voting Infamous SS AAA become hypocrites again and do the same with this game...as I see chikenfriedrice has already done. Some some simply not voting at all to avoid any ownage that might come if the game flops.

#12 Posted by MonsieurX (28630 posts) -

This is literally xbox fans most hyped new IP. I have seen this game used to defend xbox1's entire 2014 line up to say it's better than PS4's. One thing is for sure, it is being treated like an AAA or better by it's xbox 1 fanbase.

It will be curious to see the xbox fans who accused cows of being cowards for not voting AAA become hypocrites again and do the same with this game...as I see chikenfriedrice has already done. Some some simply not voting at all to avoid being what will happen if the game flops.

Happened with KZ:SF and considering it was previously an AAA franchise,kinda a different thing hyping a new IP

#13 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17082 posts) -

LOVE that it's colorful, fun, energetic, and inventive. I hope we can say goodbye to the boring space marine shooters of last gen.

#14 Posted by blackace (19697 posts) -

Will most likely get a AAE here on Gamespot since they are tough reviewers. Elsewhere it will probably get a few AAAE. for Metacritic score, I'm thinking between 80-85 score.

#15 Posted by Wasdie (49302 posts) -

Looks fun as hell and has a great artstyle but I question the game's longevity. It seems like it could get really old really fast.

#16 Posted by kuu2 (6781 posts) -

AAAE all the way!

#17 Posted by Cloud_imperium (1757 posts) -

AAE . 8/10 .

#18 Posted by geniobastardo (917 posts) -

It'll get an 8/10 but personally I'm hoping for a 7. Just like Watch_Dogs.

#19 Posted by drummerdave9099 (597 posts) -

It will be curious to see the xbox fans who accused cows of being cowards for not all voting Infamous SS AAA become hypocrites again and do the same with this game...as I see chikenfriedrice has already done. Some some simply not voting at all to avoid any ownage that might come if the game flops.

But Xbox 1's 2014 lineup is better than PS4's....

Infamous and Driveclub, vs. Sunset, Halo MCC, Forza Horizon 2, Ori and the Blind Forest

#20 Edited by dakan45 (18264 posts) -

its made by insomniac so pc is doubtfull, then again they said if we wanted we could ask for Fuse. So its not impossible.

Now why is sunset overdrive not on ps4? Because sony wanted to take their ip from them and own it, sony being sony with their exlusvies nothing new here. They want to have everything exlusive to playstation, atleast ms throws pc a port here and there. Insomniac refused to give up the rights so it wont end up like resistance and ratchet and clank, so there you go, ms agreed and so its only on xbone.

AAA has to do with budget not quality of the game.

Then again this game looks actually fan as opposed to the samey crap that we been getting latelly, AAE!

#21 Posted by mems_1224 (45719 posts) -

AAE. Will get an 8.

Yup, looks like a really fun game but it doesn't look mind blowing.

#22 Edited by kinectthedots (1445 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@kinectthedots said:

It will be curious to see the xbox fans who accused cows of being cowards for not voting AAA become hypocrites again and do the same with this game...as I see chikenfriedrice has already done. Some some simply not voting at all to avoid being what will happen if the game flops.

Happened with KZ:SF and considering it was previously an AAA franchise,kinda a different thing hyping a new IP

Titanfall was a new IP, but not a ture exclusive, but lems hyped AAA to the heavens and gloated as if it was a super victory. Sorry but that "new IP" excuse won't fly.

Lems hyped a new IP AAA when there was no burden of ownage and gloated like it was an exclusive for x1 all before because like the cowards they are lems could hide behind the fact that it was a multiplatform game if it flopped.

NOW that this is a real exclusive, there will be a burden of ownage against the xbox1 if it flops and nothing to hide behind...that is how it is.

So the be exact, the only thing that is different about this new IP and Titanfall is that there is nothing to hide behind if this game flops...thus the coward badge that lems were trying to pin on cows is more fitting for lemmings it they back down from hyping this AAA after their Infamous SS antics.

#23 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16009 posts) -

After watching this I gotta say I am interested

#24 Posted by MonsieurX (28630 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

@kinectthedots said:

Titanfall was a new IP, but not a ture exclusive, but lems hyped AAA to the heavens and gloated as if it was a super victory. Sorry but that "new IP" excuse won't fly.

Lems hyped a new IP AAA when there was no burden of ownage and gloated like it was an exclusive for x1 all before because like the cowards they are lems could hide behind the fact that it was a multiplatform game if it flopped.

NOW that this is a real exclusive, there will be a burden of ownage against the xbox1 if it flops and nothing to hide behind...that is how it is.

So the be exact, the only thing that is different about this new IP and Titanfall is that there is nothing to hide behind if this game flops...thus the coward badge that lems were trying to pin on cows is more fitting for lemmings it they back down from hyping this AAA after their Infamous SS antics.

Blaming lems for the AAA hype on Titanfall when it was not exclusive,lolz

And cows hyped KZ:SF AND teh app killer Infamous at AA cause they were scared of the flop.

Would still be 2 over 1 safe hype

#25 Posted by kinectthedots (1445 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

Infamous and Driveclub, vs. Sunset, Halo MCC, Forza Horizon 2, Ori and the Blind Forest

right...so what is your hype for Sunset Overdrive?

#26 Posted by BruceBenzing (285 posts) -

AAE at best

#27 Posted by Heil68 (42557 posts) -

I'm guessing 8.0 here. A day 1 buy though.

#28 Edited by kinectthedots (1445 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@ActicEdge said:

AAE. Will get an 8.

Eh, that's not what lemmings have been saying about Sunset Overdrive all year. SO will literally make or break xbox 1's 2014...

because when looking games coming out Forza Horizon 2 will only equal or get blown out the water DriveClub which looks fantastic right now. Infamous SS is already certified AA and lems bashed the hell out of cows for hyping it that score instead of AAA.

Halo collection and TLOU R are both top class games with will sell a lot and be highly praised so a wash and then there is LBP3 vs scaleboud which I will say is another wash even though LPB is an AAA franchise.

That is not the "better than PS4 line-up" that you have been preaching all year if you are only hyping SO AA!

Why the massive backtracking mems? Don't tell me you are being a coward hyping the make or break x1 2014 Sunset Overdrive AA instead of AAA? That's not what anyone would consider a better line up than PS4 right now.

#29 Posted by shawn30 (4288 posts) -

Id say Halo: MCC, Forza Horizon 2, Killer Instinct Season 2 and Sunset Overdrive make up a very solid Fall for Xbox One. As for SO itself, I predict 8, with a high possibility of 9. Open world looks huge, graphics are great, multiplayer looks fun. Everything points to a quality line-up . Plus, who in the hell cares about internet ownage? You'd have to be pretty sad to give a crap.

#30 Edited by kinectthedots (1445 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

@MonsieurX said:

@kinectthedots said:

And cows hyped KZ:SF AND teh app killer Infamous at AA cause they were scared of the flop.

Sooooo...your response is damage control, deflection and dancing lemming style?

I see, idiot hypocrites on full display over here in the Sunset Overdrive hype thread. Thank MonsieurX, I expected full on damage control deflection and half baked fanboy excuses from you, and you have delivered in a fashion that even exceeds all expectation..

#31 Edited by chikenfriedrice (9342 posts) -

Are you saying I called out cows about Infamous:SS?.....because I didn't. And I am just predicting what the game will score....an 8 on 8spot seems likely, no?

If you are gonna call me out @ me next time.

#32 Edited by MonsieurX (28630 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

@MonsieurX said:

@kinectthedots said:

@MonsieurX said:

@kinectthedots said:

Sooooo...your response is damage control, deflection and dancing lemming style?

I see, idiot hypocrites on full display over here in the Sunset Overdrive hype thread. Thank MonsieurX, I expected full on damage control deflection and half baked fanboy excuses from you, and you have delivered in a fashion that even exceeds all expectation..

Serving you pretty much the same excuses cows use everytime.

But I'm a terrible fanboy,eh.

#33 Posted by ActicEdge (24307 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@ActicEdge said:

AAE. Will get an 8.

Eh, that's not what lemmings have been saying about Sunset Overdrive all year. SO will literally make or break xbox 1's 2014...

because when looking games coming out Forza Horizon 2 will only equal or get blown out the water DriveClub which looks fantastic right now. Infamous SS is already certified AA and lems bashed the hell out of cows for hyping it that score instead of AAA.

Halo collection and TLOU R are both top class games with will sell a lot and be highly praised so a wash and then there is LBP3 vs scaleboud which I will say is another wash even though LPB is an AAA franchise.

That is not the "better than PS4 line-up" that you have been preaching all year if you are only hyping SO AA!

Why the massive backtracking mems? Don't tell me you are being a coward hyping the make or break x1 2014 Sunset Overdrive AA instead of AAA? That's not what anyone would consider a better line up than PS4 right now.

This isn't a console war thread, it's what we think SO will score. No one gives a shit about X game vs Y game. We think SO will score an 8. That's all that needs to be discussed here.

#34 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3001 posts) -

Bubububu, Lems don't like Ratchet and Clank!!

I still hate the artstyle, but the video above makes it come off as derivative of Infamous and Dead Rising (which is not a bad thing). Let's hope it's not too derivative.

#35 Edited by drummerdave9099 (597 posts) -

@drummerdave9099 said:

@kinectthedots said:

right...so what is your hype for Sunset Overdrive?

I don't hype anymore

Gamespot loves to give out 8's though, I can see this game getting an 8 on here

#36 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (615 posts) -

The game looks really, really fun IMO. Mainly because it's not going to be realistic graphics and the gameplay seems to have some depth with the enviromental weapons.But i also question the depth of the story or mission and how they plan to keep players interested beyond pure gameplay in sucha big world.

On the plus side, the 8 player co-op looks awesome. My guess is an 8 on GS and between 75 to 85 on MC.

#37 Posted by lostrib (31445 posts) -

AAE

#38 Edited by blackace (19697 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

@mems_1224 said:

Cows boasted about KZ:SF & Infamous SS like they were the best games on the planet. Then when it came time to hype them, all the Cows were giving them AAE scores. Neither of these games are new IP's so there really wasn't any reason to hype them at AAE. Even at AAE, KZ:SF still flopped. Sunset Overdrive is a New IP. As we all know, most New IP's don't get AAAE scores right off the bat. Only a few special games like Halo, Forza, TLOU, Uncharted have done this. Sunset Overdrive looks like great fun, but I'm afraid it might become repetitive over time. Really need to see more levels and content besides the Amusement Park level. Still, GS don't give out AAA scores like candy and I believe they will score Sunset Overdrive with a 8 score. If they were still using the .5 it would get an 8.5. Also Sunset Overdrive was just shown in more detail in May. So what do you mean it has been praised all year? We just found out about Horizon 2 in May. In any case, here is my hype for each exclusive games on XB1 and PS4.

Xbox One

--------

Sunset Overdrive: AAE

Forza Horizon 2: AAAE

Project Spark: AAE

Halo: Master Chief Collection: AAAE

Ori and the Blind Forest - AAE

PS4

---

Drive Club: AAE

LPB 3: AAAE

Samurai Warrior 4: AE

#39 Edited by hiphops_savior (7669 posts) -

It's a big budget game, it comes from a respected developer. It is a AAA game.

#40 Posted by PapaTrop (117 posts) -

It doesn't look very good.

#41 Posted by fgjnfgh (2579 posts) -

It looked really fun to me and I loved all Insomniac's games. I really wanted it to be on PS4, but seems that it is not happening any time soon. It's one of the reasons why I bought an X1 as well as Titanfall, Ryse, Forza, and of course Killer Instinct. Planning to put so much training in KI once I buy an arcade

#42 Posted by tormentos (16400 posts) -

Wow AAE considering how much lemmings hype the game as the last coke on the desert..lol

#43 Posted by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft: It will be lucky to get AA. Insomniac can't police themselves, their quality without a company telling them what to make has been awful since they left Sony. Not everyone can be Naughty Dog, some devs can only reach Treyarch. Thats Insomniac.

#44 Edited by magicalclick (22217 posts) -

It looks super fun and love the colorful art style. Probably an 8 on GS, but, I say this is a game everyone can enjoyed except cows.

#45 Posted by wolverine4262 (18780 posts) -

Well, it looks infinitely more fun that Sony's tech demos...

#46 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16033 posts) -

Looks like a lot of fun. But I hope the game is not built around co-op i.e. making the singleplayer a watered down version.

#47 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (615 posts) -

@wolverine4262 said:

Well, it looks infinitely more fun that Sony's tech demos...

Unsurprisngly, for me atleast, their non tech demo-ish games, Bloodborne, now Deep Down, and even LBP3 somewhat, look more interesting than how many raindrops are on the hood of a fucking car. Hopefully, UC4 is also good, but i trust ND.

#48 Edited by kinectthedots (1445 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@ActicEdge said:

AAE. Will get an 8.

Oh my...

inFAMOUS Second Son HypeThread

@mems said:

Lol at all the cows scared to hype this a 9

Indeed mems, you lemmings are clown acts now...look at the back tracking. It's time to pull the chair out from underneath the hypocritical lemmings in this board.

As you can see Lems are the WORST bunch of hypocritical circus acts on the board so it is going to be funny to see how many of these clowns eat their own words.

To ecco your words, Look at all the scared lemmings scared to hype this 9...and YOU ARE DONE/

#49 Edited by mems_1224 (45719 posts) -
#50 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27180 posts) -

Meh, not sold on this one. Looks like a fun hour then would get very repetitive. 7/10.