Is Sunset Overdrive a system seller?

Posted by SolidGame_basic (16845 posts) 1 month, 13 days ago

Poll: Is Sunset Overdrive a system seller? (69 votes)

yes 25%
no 75%

Would you buy an X1 for it? I want to say yes, but nothing really about it screams AAA blockbuster or anything. It looks fun from the videos, but it also doesn't seem like there's much beyond what they showed. What do you think, SW?

#1 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

Sure. Of significance? No.

#2 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1381 posts) -

For me? Nah. Cool looking game, but if it's on my list of exclusives to play. If it comes to pc, i might pick it up one day.

For the average person? No. Honestly, besides games like Halo or Uncharted, most exclusives aren't system sellers anyway.

#3 Posted by Nike_Air (18317 posts) -

Nah. It looks good , though. But I'm not buying an Xbone for it , lol. Sorry Insomniac.

#4 Posted by kuu2 (6970 posts) -

To early for a poll like this. No one has even played the full game.

Bad TC bad...........

#5 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3527 posts) -

It's a little early it could go both ways honestly

#6 Posted by Gamerno6666 (520 posts) -

No actually. look fun but buying a whole system for this one? nah

#7 Posted by intotheminx (597 posts) -

Not in the slightest. QB has a better chance with the right publicity.

#8 Posted by B4X (3625 posts) -

It's no Halo.

It sold me. So far I'm liking what I see.

#9 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

It isn't halo, or gears.. hell I don't think it will generate more buzz than Titanfall.

#10 Posted by coasterguy65 (5877 posts) -

It really depends on how much MS promotes it. The game looks fun, but letting people know it exists is up to MS.

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Its a new IP and I've never seen it on TV so it is not a System Seller.

#12 Posted by vickissv2 (1754 posts) -

Its a new IP and I've never seen it on TV so it is not a System Seller.

Highly flawed logic. It hasn't been on TV because it isn't releasing for 3 months. You don't start this early with TV ads.

Depending on how good the reviews are , it could definitely potentially be a system seller. There's really a lot riding on how the game is overall and how it's received.

#13 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@vickissv2

I'm South African.... Theres been very few TV Ads here about games. So I'm pretty comfident it won't sell systems, besides can a Shooter sell consoles ? Obviously excluding Halo. That one can.

#14 Posted by vickissv2 (1754 posts) -

@vickissv2

I'm South African.... Theres been very few TV Ads here about games. So I'm pretty comfident it won't sell systems, besides can a Shooter sell consoles ? Obviously excluding Halo. That one can.

Of course shooters sell consoles. Are you serious? Gears? Killzone? Halo? Even Resistance? Also to call Sunset overdrive just a "shooter" doesn't accurately describe what the game is about.

#15 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@vickissv2

Then they should make a proper trailer then... Because all I saw was shooting....

#16 Posted by vickissv2 (1754 posts) -

@vickissv2

Then they should make a proper trailer then... Because all I saw was shooting....

Or you should watch more gameplay , because shooting in a game doesn't make it a shooter. The game is not a "shooter".

#17 Posted by Alcapello (789 posts) -

Going by console sale, Insomniac has to holds its special powers for PS4.

#18 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@vickissv2

What is it ?

#19 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

I don't think its a system seller, but will be reviewed well and a damn nice excluisve addition to their console. Quantum Break, I think, could move Xbox Ones.

#20 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2556 posts) -

Not for me . The game that will move lot of Xboxes will be Halo 5 .

#21 Posted by jsmoke03 (12764 posts) -

nah...it doesnt have wide enough appeal. its just going to be a 3-5 million seller at best type franchise.

#22 Posted by SoftwareGeek (216 posts) -

The graphics and colors look beautiful. The game play looks frantic and fun. I'm definitely going to buy it but I don't know that it's a system seller. The problem is that it's a new game and gamers aren't sure yet if it's going to be something they will enjoy over and over again. I personally think it's going to have the addictive qualities of a League of Legends. I mean the trailer makes this game look really really fun! I can see sitting back and playing it for an entire afternoon.

#23 Posted by lostrib (34533 posts) -

No

#24 Posted by santoron (7692 posts) -

Nah. Nice looking game, but it's a new IP with somewhat specific appeal.

#25 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9885 posts) -

It's a game to buy if you already have the console....not a game to go buy a console for.

It looks awesome though and I hope the X1 owners support it.

#26 Posted by gago-gago (9354 posts) -

No but I played the multiplayer and it's a fun solid game. It's a reason to have a Xbox One though. Will be getting this day one. Hopefully they advertise it well so the game itself will sell too.

#27 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4249 posts) -

Sunset Overdrive probably won't affect Xbox One sales in any meaningful way.

#28 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16845 posts) -

No but I played the multiplayer and it's a fun solid game. It's a reason to have a Xbox One though. Will be getting this day one. Hopefully they advertise it well so the game itself will sell too.

proof?

#29 Posted by ivo_ree (97 posts) -

Yes, this game reminds me of when games were just silly and fun.

#30 Edited by gago-gago (9354 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@gago-gago said:

proof?

I was at San Diego Comic-Con Xbox Lounge. I got to play Sunset Overdrive, Evolve, Evil Within and more while I was there. They had Fable Legends there but I think they were having technical issues with the TVs or something so I didn't get a chance to see that. I also got autographed poster from the Halo Nightfall cast and devs and a limited of 450 lithograph Dead Rising 3 super hyper alpha or whatever that DLC is called too. Really fun event.

#31 Posted by vashkey (33718 posts) -

Can't tell till it comes out, but it probably wont be.

#32 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16845 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@gago-gago said:

proof?

I was at San Diego Comic-Con Xbox Lounge. I got to play Sunset Overdrive, Evolve, Evil Within and more while I was there. They had Fable Legends there but I think they were having technical issues with the TVs or something so I didn't get a chance to see that.

nice!

#33 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3805 posts) -

Since most Xbox gamers are watered down PC gamers with neck beards. And loathe anything out side of American soil. And stay true and proud of their timed CoD DLC. I do not think Sunset overdrive will be a system seller. No.

#34 Posted by hehe101 (606 posts) -

no

#35 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1395 posts) -

Going with no.

#36 Posted by mems_1224 (46573 posts) -

No but it looks like a fun game. The first system seller of this gen is probably gonna be The MCC

#37 Posted by Sushiglutton (5225 posts) -

No it's too quirky. Doesn't make it a bad game though and it seems like it has solid mechanics and lots of fun to be had.

#38 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17056 posts) -

No, the trailer put me off.

#39 Posted by Bigboi500 (29347 posts) -

Have to say no. Microsoft has to do better than this to get me on board.

#40 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

No. New IP's are rarely system sellings. I can't remember the last New IP that actually moved a couple million consoles.

#41 Posted by silversix_ (14081 posts) -

If 7 more consoles sold is a system seller then yes

#42 Posted by tacoma1972 (142 posts) -

Its on Xbox so no. The average consumer is smart enough to know that the ONE is not a good product despite having some good software. I cant wait until Christmas. I think sales will be like this leading up to Christmas and over Christmas:

PS4 vs ONE

1.5/2:1 in North America

2.5/3:1 World Wide

Publishers are starting to see where the money is and where they should be investing their time and it is not with MS. Ryse aint even an exclusive anymore and I will predict neither will this.

#43 Posted by Wiiboxstation (122 posts) -

I was interested in getting an Xbone for this game. However after watching the gameplay videos it looks like deadrising on a skateboard, I don't like deadrising. It also looks like it is an extremely repetitive game. So for now st least I have changed my mind on getting the bone based on this game.

#44 Posted by Basinboy (11059 posts) -

No, it's a title that enriches and compliments the Xbox platform - but I'm far more willing to wait it out for a PC version or pick it up when it's less expensive once an actual system seller is available.

#45 Posted by FinalFighters (1394 posts) -

it looks cool but no way in hell im buying an xbone for this game. the only game that will get me to buy that POS console is Halo 5.

#46 Posted by handssss (1824 posts) -

Doubt it. Titanfall wasn't and that was a fresh take on the most popular genre among Xbox gamers.

#47 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Have to say no, it looks interesting for a Dead Rising clone but it won't make people want to buy X1's.

#48 Posted by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

Guess we'll find out in October. But I didn't buy my X1 strictly to play SO. But it was one of the upcoming games along with Titanfall, Halo 5, Quantum, Gears, Fable legends, Crackdown along with Killer Instinct and DR3 already being out that made me buy it.

#49 Posted by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@vickissv2

Or you should watch more gameplay , because shooting in a game doesn't make it a shooter. The game is not a "shooter".

Guess Uncharted is a shooter then

#50 Posted by sukraj (22133 posts) -

Nope