Is SSAO more important than 1080p?

#1 Posted by uninspiredcup (12766 posts) -

My friends, I see many of the console people argue regarding resolution. As a pc gamer (who knows, knows) for me, personally. screen space ambient occlusion is far more important than resolution.

Part of the reason Uncharted and Last OF Us was praised on consoles was specifically because it used SSAO.

If we look at the list of PC/CONSOLE titles with SSAO implemented, we can see that almost no console games used them, the most visually praised console exclusive titles (Naughty Dog) did.

List

Using high quility SSAO will cripple a high end pc. So, for even next generation consoles, it may be difficult to get 1080p+ SSAO.


Given the choice chumlings, wouldn't you rather just have 720p with some nice SSAO?

#2 Posted by Epak_ (7023 posts) -

Yeah, lets just stay at 720p for the next three gens also, yawn.

#3 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17433 posts) -

SSAO usually sucks because developers are bad at optimizing the effect.

#4 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3894 posts) -

4xMSAA is more important than 1080p. Just ask Andrea Pessino. That's why The Order 1886 isn't 1080p. And do you have an issue calling the game 800p instead of 1080p? Take it up with Andrea, the founder of Ready at Dawn.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/06/the-order-1886-will-have-4x-aa-undecided-between-1920x800-and-1920x1080-lack-of-multiplayer-expained/

#5 Edited by Wiimotefan (4136 posts) -

@Epak_:

It's all a balancing act though. Many fanboys jump straight to resolution wars because it's as simple as a number. Easy to understand, easy to argue.

And sure, the higher the resolution the better. But rendering the most pixels isn't always the most important aspect visually. There are multitudes of competing factors that can be every bit as important.

Also, I'm not expecting 1080p to be the standard for consoles this gen anyways. Resolution and frame rate will both drop in exchange for bigger and better looking worlds. I give it about a year.

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (17508 posts) -

As a PC gamer you don't have to choose.

@GoldenElementXL said:

4xMSAA is more important than 1080p. Just ask Andrea Pessino. That's why The Order 1886 isn't 1080p. And do you have an issue calling the game 800p instead of 1080p? Take it up with Andrea, the founder of Ready at Dawn.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/06/the-order-1886-will-have-4x-aa-undecided-between-1920x800-and-1920x1080-lack-of-multiplayer-expained/

Ok, that's the 10th reason now for the game not being 1080p. First it was to make it 'teh cinematic'

#8 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4736 posts) -

SSAO is outdated & honestly looks pretty bad, black halo's around everything like it's cell shaded or something, HBAO+ is all the rage now

@GoldenElementXL said:

4xMSAA is more important than 1080p. Just ask Andrea Pessino. That's why The Order 1886 isn't 1080p. And do you have an issue calling the game 800p instead of 1080p? Take it up with Andrea, the founder of Ready at Dawn.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/06/the-order-1886-will-have-4x-aa-undecided-between-1920x800-and-1920x1080-lack-of-multiplayer-expained/

I expect 4xMSAA will be cut, the framerate in Order 1886 was horrible & very likely because of the MSAA, every website pointed this out & they are usually okay about sub 30fps, i except 4xMSAA will be cut for FXAA or SMAA, Infamous uses SMAA

#9 Edited by scatteh316 (5021 posts) -

All the major engines use SSAO but even that's crap now, HBAO is the new daddy.

@HaloinventedFPS - Infamous doesn't use straight SMAA.

#10 Posted by silversix_ (16140 posts) -

I cannot wait to play vidia gamez in 720p in 2028, gonna be sick!

#11 Posted by Epak_ (7023 posts) -

@Wiimotefan: Personally I'm a bit flabbergasted that people are still okay with 720p when a whole new generation has started. I'm currently using a 42" telly and Jesus Christ what a difference it is to play a PC game from it and then change to a console game (Xbox/PS3). My room ain't that big, so I'm pretty close to the TV (2 m or about 6'5). Surely taking a bit more distance would help :P

#13 Edited by WallofTruth (2065 posts) -

SSAO sucks and is too perf. costly.

#14 Posted by clyde46 (47549 posts) -

I will never sacrifice resolution. Its details before resolution.

#15 Edited by PAL360 (27299 posts) -

Performance (resolution and framerate) >>> graphics and effects, but these new consoles can do both. There are already some great looking 1080p60 games on PS4 and X1, so theres no reason to worry.

#16 Edited by Mr-Kutaragi (2462 posts) -

Why do guy here still pay attention to unisnpiredcups he admit he was born in year 2000 and his topic and posting show this.

#17 Posted by Epic-gamerz (222 posts) -

The Last of Us didn't use crappy SSAO, it used a more higher quality indirect shadowing never before seen on PC

#18 Edited by uninspiredcup (12766 posts) -

@HaloinventedFPS said:

SSAO is outdated & honestly looks pretty bad, black halo's around everything like it's cell shaded or something, HBAO+ is all the rage now

HBAO is a form of AO.

#19 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

I like SAO.... :)

#20 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17535 posts) -

@HaloinventedFPS said:

SSAO is outdated & honestly looks pretty bad, black halo's around everything like it's cell shaded or something, HBAO+ is all the rage now

That's strange. I see the black halos in Far Cry 3 when I apply HBAO, not SSAO.

#21 Posted by tormentos (20166 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, I see many of the console people argue regarding resolution. As a pc gamer (who knows, knows) for me, personally. screen space ambient occlusion is far more important than resolution.

Part of the reason Uncharted and Last OF Us was praised on consoles was specifically because it used SSAO.

If we look at the list of PC/CONSOLE titles with SSAO implemented, we can see that almost no console games used them, the most visually praised console exclusive titles (Naughty Dog) did.

List

Using high quility SSAO will cripple a high end pc. So, for even next generation consoles, it may be difficult to get 1080p+ SSAO.

Given the choice chumlings, wouldn't you rather just have 720p with some nice SSAO?

NFS on xbox one is 1080p and has SSAO.

#22 Posted by topgunmv (10360 posts) -

Anything other than native resolution looks like complete shit on my monitor, I'd turn everything down to 0 before I'd lower the resolution.

#23 Edited by Ribstaylor1 (1493 posts) -

Going from 1080p to 1440p convinced me resolution does matter. It is the single most noticeable and helpful upgrade I ever made. I can make things out that I can't do at 1080p at a great distance which has improved my long rang game substantially. HBAO is nice, I'll even turn down some settings to get this it run at 1440p nicelly as it makes a load of difference as well.