Is Sony pulling the wool over GT fans eyes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

This is pure speculation but is worthy of some discussion. Before the PS3 launched there was a lot of talk surrounding the new Gran Tourismo. Many were saying that Sony had this 'new plan' for selling the game in small chunks and some sites were even reporting actual $ figures for the complete game (made up prices like I thought or leaked as they said?).

There was a lot of backlash against this when people saw the kinds of prices and eventually Polyphony (wish I could find the link) soothed the gaming community by telling us not to worry, the game would be complete at launch and there would be some extra content purchasable afterwards. 'Ok, thats good' we all said.

We then get the usual prologue but this time you can add to it with micro-transactions, which is ok guys because the full game is coming. We then get, on the same day as the announcement of micro-transactions for GT5P, an announcement that the main game will be delayed until an unknown date in the future.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that their original idea wasn't popular with people, but would have made Sony tons of money, and all of a sudden we have that very same business model dressed up as something else? Sounds to me like more lies and milkage *sigh*.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
I don't that is what they are doing. I think they are basically giving us the game as they complete it. Games are having longer development cycles this generation and with the high production values you get with GT games it's no wonder GT 5 is taking so long to be finished.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Something fishy is going on. I can't understand why GT5 is taking so long. Forza will probably have 2 next-generation games out before Polyphony has 1.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Renegade

Something fishy is going on. I can't understand why GT5 is taking so long. Forza will probably have 2 next-generation games out before Polyphony has 1.Danm_999

Forza doesn't have as near as many cars as there are in GT.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]Something fishy is going on. I can't understand why GT5 is taking so long. Forza will probably have 2 next-generation games out before Polyphony has 1.-Renegade

Granted, but that doesn't explain why the development cycle is taking around twice as long.

Irish_Bassist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Irish_Bassist
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts

I`d probably have to agree with you on that. The thing that annoys me is that GT5P was only supposed to be a sort of "taster" to show you what to expect in the full game. However I recently read an interview (sorry for no link, but I think its on IGN) and they said that at the moment they were purely focused on getting car damage sorted. Now this is great because I've waited so long for actually car damage in a GT game, as im sure alot of other people have. The thing that annoys me though is that they are spending so much time on Prologue, that the actual GT5 will just take longer and longer to come out. As the interview stated (again sorry for no link) they said they were purely focused on the damage in Prologue and werent even thinking about the actual proper game at all at this moment. And I for one refuse to get prologue as I don't see the point of buying and spending money on a preview of a game which is coming out later. And by the looks of things it'll be getting later and later.

Well thats my opinion anyway. ;)

darkenedsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 darkenedsquire
Member since 2007 • 183 Posts

Wait a minute since when was ~320 not close to ~350 cars :s

Also will GT5 have damage modelling? because i hate how if you hit another car in prologue it doesn't even make a noise.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

Sony will want to release the game when the PS3 starts making them money for each console sold because it will cause the biggest sales increase for the PS3.

darkenedsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darkenedsquire
hhhh good I've also been waiting for damage in a GT game.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stonin

I don't that is what they are doing. I think they are basically giving us the game as they complete it. Games are having longer development cycles this generation and with the high production values you get with GT games it's no wonder GT 5 is taking so long to be finished. -Renegade

Everyone else seems to be able to make excellent racing games that contain hundreds of cars in a far shorter space of time than it has taken for GT5...on both consoles and PC.

IF they have the majority of the engine done (GT5P) and can sell you bits of it as they 'finish' them then why not spend that time finishing the whole game instead? I mean its ok to get the Prologue out but adding bits to it at extra cost is milkage any way you look at it.

jonesy1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 jonesy1911
Member since 2003 • 3483 Posts
[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]Something fishy is going on. I can't understand why GT5 is taking so long. Forza will probably have 2 next-generation games out before Polyphony has 1.Danm_999

Granted, but that doesn't explain why the development cycle is taking around twice as long.

Yes it does, car models don't make themselfs.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -Renegade

I`d probably have to agree with you on that. The thing that annoys me is that GT5P was only supposed to be a sort of "taster" to show you what to expect in the full game. However I recently read an interview (sorry for no link, but I think its on IGN) and they said that at the moment they were purely focused on getting car damage sorted. Now this is great because I've waited so long for actually car damage in a GT game, as im sure alot of other people have. The thing that annoys me though is that they are spending so much time on Prologue, that the actual GT5 will just take longer and longer to come out. As the interview stated (again sorry for no link) they said they were purely focused on the damage in Prologue and werent even thinking about the actual proper game at all at this moment. And I for one refuse to get prologue as I don't see the point of buying and spending money on a preview of a game which is coming out later. And by the looks of things it'll be getting later and later.

Well thats my opinion anyway. ;)

Irish_Bassist

People wanted damage now I have to suffer with a longer development time. :?

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Renegade

Also will GT5 have damage modelling? because i hate how if you hit another car in prologue it doesn't even make a noise.

darkenedsquire

GT 4 had over 800 cars I exspect the same or even more in GT 5.

Irish_Bassist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Irish_Bassist
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts

Found the link! :D

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/891/891903p1.html

"Kazunori Yamauchi: Of course after this next update, we're going to have another update later on in the year. There's no plans in the works for GT5 yet - that might be 2009, or it might be 2010"

Why do you torture us so!

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="-Renegade"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]Something fishy is going on. I can't understand why GT5 is taking so long. Forza will probably have 2 next-generation games out before Polyphony has 1.jonesy1911

Do you really believe it takes an extra two years to model the extra cars in GT5, or are you ready to start using your brain?

Something is causing GT5 to be delayed. Car models ain't it.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Danm_999
[QUOTE="darkenedsquire"]

-Renegade

From what I read it was about 900.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Stonin
[QUOTE="darkenedsquire"]

-Renegade

This still doesn't explain why they don't just leave Prologue as is, finish the main game and release it. Developers often talk about making demo's and the time and effort they of doing so slowing down the development of the main game.

With prologue you are going to have a whole bunch of micro-transaction non-sense which will make the demo more expensive than the full game, while delaying the full game, and all for what? So fans can errr get the game in bits? Whatever happened to just making a game and releasing it? Oh, thats right..it was never the plan from the start.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Renegade
[QUOTE="jonesy1911"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]Granted, but that doesn't explain why the development cycle is taking around twice as long.

Danm_999

Do you really believe it takes an extra two years to model the extra cars in GT5, or are you ready to start using your brain?

Kazunori Yamauchi: GT5 cars take 6 months to model Maybe this has something to do with it because one I don't know any other developer that does this and two I seriously doubt they have 900 people working on this game.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Renegade
[QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="darkenedsquire"]

Stonin

This still doesn't explain why they don't just leave Prologue as is, finish the main game and release it. Developers often talk about making demo's and the time and effort they of doing so slowing down the development of the main game.

With prologue you are going to have a whole bunch of micro-transaction non-sense which will make the demo more expensive than the full game, while delaying the full game, and all for what? So fans can errr get the game in bits? Whatever happened to just making a game and releasing it? Oh, thats right..it was never the plan from the start.

Well I have to say I agree. I already bought the Prologue and I refuse to buy any more DL.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="jonesy1911"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]Granted, but that doesn't explain why the development cycle is taking around twice as long.

-Renegade

Kazunori Yamauchi: GT5 cars take 6 months to model Maybe this has something to do with it because one I don't know any other developer that does this and two I seriously doubt they have 900 people working on this game.

From the sounds of that article, they believed they'd be hitting release late this year (I imagine factoring in the 6 month development each car requires), so it kind of problematises the idea models are delaying them.

darkenedsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkenedsquire
[QUOTE="darkenedsquire"]

-Renegade

GT5 has been confirmed to be shipping with ~350 cars on disc with more available later as DLC.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

The only explanation i can see is that they're having major troubles with Ps3 Development.

People may say ''Oh but there's 10k cars and they all take like 60 days to make'' but in truth only 370 are going to be on the disk with Polyphonic making the rest of them after the gameas Downloadable content. And combine that with the fact that Polyphonic has a much bigger development team than most racing game developers...

darkenedsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 darkenedsquire

ahhh yes it was 370 cars on disc with the rest being sold as car pack DLC.

GT5 doesn't have a huge amount of cars more than Forza 2.

Still prefer GT though especially if they get the damage modelling right.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

ahhh yes it was 370 cars on disc with the rest being sold as car pack DLC.

GT5 doesn't have a huge amount of cars more than Forza 2.

Still prefer GT though especially if they get the damage modelling right.

darkenedsquire
Maybe not actually. The reason i said that was because in the original GT5 delayed until 2010 thread someone also said that and i assumed it to be true because it was someone i trusted, but i couldn't find a source or anyhting on Google, so maybe not so much after all.
Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts
They said it could be out in 2010 but for the time being, it is still 2009.
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Stonin
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="jonesy1911"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]Granted, but that doesn't explain why the development cycle is taking around twice as long.

-Renegade

Do some math before blindly believing PR spin. There will not be 900 cars at launch and if it really takes 6 months to model a single car then we aren't ever going to see this game launched.

They planned this from the start, i think that is becoming pretty obvious.

Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
OMG t3h conspiracy!!11 Or maybe they want to finish the game the way they intended to make it, without rushing it out and have no features or gameplay that was promised.
darkenedsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 darkenedsquire
I think the 370 cars thing was right I read an announcement along the same lines a while ago hopefully they'll have a few more by the time it releases if it really is going to be a 2010 release.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

I just with GT HD was availale on PSN still.

Im not shelling out $60 for an elaborate demo, i'd rather stick to Forza 2 and GTR2 - which I have a wheel for thankyouverymuch.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Stonin

OMG t3h conspiracy!!11 Or maybe they want to finish the game the way they intended to make it, without rushing it out and have no features or gameplay that was promised.Zoso-8

You didn't read the post did you?

If they want to finish the game that is fine, but then don't waste time making bits add on to the prologue version. This is micro-milkage in action and it makes me laugh that gamers will jump to defend it.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

for now GT5P is enough, hoping the update for car damage is released shortly and maybe an additional track... Am a PS3 fan but the latest news that GT5 might not even make it for 2009 is just frustrating...

I know Polyphony are working hard in giving a great final product but these constant delays are getting ridiculous...

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
Gran Turismo games always get constantly delayed, im happy with GT5P at the moment, and i'll have Motorstorm 2 to fill the void for my racing needs when im done with GT5P.
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Danm_999

Actually, it was under 800. closer to 700 than 800. The number depends on the Version, though.

Still, I don't think that a "downgrade" to 350+ cars is truly an issue, if it means it trims some of the excessive amount of versions... say, make it less than 50 Skylines?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts
i doubt it. i think they've just completely screwed up. releasing prologue to assure fans that they are actually DOING something and basically telling them to hang in there a couple more years, then when GT5 finally comes out apparently 97% of the cars will be DLC?? in other words: "we need more time but more delays would be ridiculous". so there it's all about taking too long in making a game which forza surpasses anyway :roll:
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
lol, they said GT5 the final version will be released sometime in 2010......it's obvious they are delaying it for some reason. Heck I thought they were just adding on GT5P......taking a couple more years it better be a whole newly designed game.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

Danm_999

Somone explain to me the sense of having that many cars in a racing game? To me thats going overboard, make a game that has a couple hundred cars, have some graphics, damange and a lot of tracks. To me that is a great racing game.

xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

lol, they said GT5 the final version will be released sometime in 2010......it's obvious they are delaying it for some reason. Heck I thought they were just adding on GT5P......taking a couple more years it better be a whole newly designed game.darthogre

A game coming out in 2010 that has been in developement that long should just be scraped and they should just make a new game. I'm sorry I like Sony, but anybody who thinks that they have done a great job this gen with their games has had the wool over there eyes for much too long.

POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
but at least i am having fun playing GT PSP.............oh nvmd :(
Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

I dont think so. I think Sony just cant get their stuff together quick enough to launch a game. Man the console is great but geesh I feel like it's still in it's first year just because of all the stuff that has been shown since before it even launched.

Killzone 2 should be out already.
LittleBigPlanet should be out already. (Well, maybe)
Home should be out already.
GT5 should be out already.
Heavy Rain should be out already.

Etc, etc, etc. I love the console and what not but I'm really sick of the delays. I mean, MS is running circles around them in terms of getting software out there. I think MS could have whipped up Home on their lunch break and it's taken Sony 2 or 3 years... well, that's not fair really. MS is a software company though, not a hardware (obviously), lol.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Forza doesn't have as near as many cars as there are in GT.-Renegade

I really don't see the need for 35 different Skylines and Fiat 500R's/Suzuki Cappucinos. Forza 2 has more than enough cars and all of them are powerful enough to be enthralling to take around a RACE track. If Gran Turismo was about driving around on streets I could see the reason for having so many useless cars but GT has purely RACE tracks.
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 carljohnson3456

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]Forza doesn't have as near as many cars as there are in GT.foxhound_fox

I really don't see the need for 35 different Skylines and Fiat 500R's/Suzuki Cappucinos. Forza 2 has more than enough cars and all of them are powerful enough to be enthralling to take around a RACE track. If Gran Turismo was about driving around on streets I could see the reason for having so many useless cars but GT has purely RACE tracks.

Yeah and there is a difference... You can actually play Forza.

I dont care about 900 cars, just gimmie the friggin game.

gtawoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gtawoof
Member since 2003 • 1843 Posts

lol @ Tourismo.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="-Renegade"]Forza doesn't have as near as many cars as there are in GT.carljohnson3456

more to the point on GT4 there are like 10 near identical different versions of cars for every car. on forza they are all completely different except the racing porsches..

carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 carljohnson3456
[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="-Renegade"]Forza doesn't have as near as many cars as there are in GT.crunchUK

more to the point on GT4 there are like 10 near identical different versions of cars for every car. on forza they are all completely different except the racing porsches..

Yeah. Sony just needs to go ahead and get the game out. It's pretty ridiculous. They are basically setting on a gold mine and not even trying.

Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]Forza doesn't have as near as many cars as there are in GT.foxhound_fox

Heyheyhey. Respect the Fiat.

Oh, and it's 50 Skylines :P.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

I was complaining about this right after they changed the whole story forever ago about how tracks were going to cost $4 apiece and cars $1 each and the entire game was going to cost some insane amount of money for people that wanted to own every single thing.

They changed the story on that and I never believed it for one second. Now the story is it will all be on a disc someday but in the meantime we have car and track packs that will be avalible as dlc to tide you over.

Do they really expect people to shell out $40 for the base game another $20 to $40 to whatever amount of $$$ for the dlc over the next 2 years then buy the disc in 2010 for another $60???

All for a game that has next to nothing that we even expect out of any race title that has come out in the last 3 years?

Poly is all hey spend a ton of money on our game that we can't even get voice chat and cosmetic damage in... Lol forget it. GTs popularity is based on nostalgia and sentiment at this point with almost nothing else to back it up that has to do with we want in a game.

E3s biggest GT announcement? The ability to watch top gear! What a joke.

NitaraPwnzU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 NitaraPwnzU
Member since 2007 • 1470 Posts

I don't that is what they are doing. I think they are basically giving us the game as they complete it. Games are having longer development cycles this generation and with the high production values you get with GT games it's no wonder GT 5 is taking so long to be finished. -Renegade

No they are having a longer development cycle for PS3 games because "teh cell" is a flop!! Plain and simple!! The 360 games are coming out and most are on time and within 2 years at the most.

carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 carljohnson3456

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]I don't that is what they are doing. I think they are basically giving us the game as they complete it. Games are having longer development cycles this generation and with the high production values you get with GT games it's no wonder GT 5 is taking so long to be finished. NitaraPwnzU

No they are having a longer development cycle for PS3 games because "teh cell" is a flop!! Plain and simple!! The 360 games are coming out and most are on time and within 2 years at the most.

Wow Nitara, I havent seen you on here in forever.